02-17-2004, 11:26 AM
I'm afraid that I'm not getting in this year, and would like to plan ahead...
The MCAT is a weak point in my application. However, I am concerned about taking the Aug MCAT and being "late" in the application process.
Should I wait another year and take the spring 2005 exam?
Does being and Augist mcatter make a big difference in people's experience?
Thanks a lot :)
02-17-2004, 11:35 AM
My advice would be to take the August MCAT, but don't apply this year. Take some time off and send in your app ASAP in the next application cycle (class of 2006). It sucks to wait, but you'll save time and money along with maximizing your chances of getting into the best school.
02-17-2004, 11:40 AM
Great suggestion Carrie. ZainZ, regardless of when you test, plan on applying early in the cycle and have your primary application done ASAP. It takes a while to get your transcripts in and verified. Get the secondaries out of the way quickly too.
Your chances of getting interviews goes down the later you wait, unless you have a stellar application. The competition among applicants goes up due to the procrastination factor & August MCATers.
02-17-2004, 12:25 PM
I see alot of ppl getting in that took the aug mcat. I mean if you make sure your app is already in on time, the only thing they would be waiting for would be your scores. I'm not an expert b/c I haven't applied yet this is just what i was told! hope this helps. :D
02-20-2004, 07:17 AM
well i retook it in Aug, the key is getting everything else in on time, dont slack off on secondaries!! You dont need to wait till 2005, just have everyother thing in on time!!
Got interview invite in late nov, acceptance in Dec
Dont think MCAT unless ur mentally prepared
Hey sistanik, howz it going :clap:
02-26-2004, 10:58 AM
hey lotanna!!! whats up girl. everything is ok, just trying to keep up in chem I. it's not the best class but I'll survive. thanks for checking in :D :D how are you doing? still excited?
02-29-2004, 05:56 PM
I took the Aug MCAT and am applying this year. So far I've gotten interview invitations at 5 out of 10 schools and no acceptances. I missed one interview becuase of a disaster and haven't been able to reschedule, I have 3 waitlists, and I have one up coming interview. I got rejected from my "reach" schools (Penn and U of Chi). I am still waiting for post-secondary news from three schools. I think how much the Aug MCAT hurts you depends on the specific shcools. For example, by the time I got an interview at Loyola, they had already stopped offering acceptances, so I got the best thing possible-- a waitlist spot.
I definately hear carrie's advice. The application cycle is draining. Even though I was in your delemma, I decided that I would "give it a shot" for this year and if things didn't work out, I'd just re-apply, no sweat. But it has taken up quite a bit of time and energy, and at this point I do not know what I will be doing next year, as opposed to knowing I will not be going to med school and being able to more actively pursue other options. Moreover, if I had spent this year pursueing application building experiences, I would have a better shot at a really good school, like UPenn or U of Chi.
On the plus side, I know I will be in school for the next 8 plus years, I'm interested in surgery, so I'm glad I have the chance to start that whole process without delay. I have a real chance at getting in to two of the schools that I'm waitlisted at--they typically have significant movement off of thier waitlists--and I still have a chance at getting in at Finch becuase they are late applicant friendly.
It is a tough decision, and you'll just have to weigh the options yourself. I would say that you should weigh:
a) Do you think you need to improve your application in order to get into the caliber of school that is acceptable to you?
b) How eager are you to get in right away?
I agree that it would be much better to take the MCAT in Aug and have the chance to retake in Apr, rather than take it in Apr and have to retake in Aug. Of course, if you haven't taken an important class, I'd probably wait, unless you feel you can learn the material over the summer.
03-14-2004, 06:56 PM
I got into Temple this week! So with all my fussing and stress from applying late, I've gotten into a school. I think it was worth applying this year. Of course, I might have gotten into a better school than Temple, but I don't really care. I still have a couple waitlist options that might work out for me too.