JAMA Review of Gevitz's Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
The DOs: Osteopathic Medicine in America

by Norman Gevitz, 2nd ed, 242 pp, $44.95, ISBN 0-8018-7833-0, paper, $24.95, ISBN 0-8018-7834-9, Baltimore, Md, Johns Hopkins University Press, 2004.

JAMA. 2004;292:1615-1616.

Norman Gevitz, professor of the history of medicine and chair of the Department of Social Medicine at Ohio University, has updated his original 1982 edition of The DOs in an outstanding second edition. He has added two new chapters ("In a Sea of Change" and "The Challenge of Distinctiveness") and provides a wealth of new material to older chapters, bringing his history into the present and giving the reader a remarkably insightful understanding of osteopathic medicine and the challenges facing it today.

Unlike other major sectarian schools (ie, eclectics, physiomedicals, and homeopaths) that arose out of a crisis of faith in so-called medical orthodoxy in the first half of the 19th century and which declined as their distinctive therapies failed to maintain a compelling raison d??tre during the rise of scientific medicine, osteopathic medicine survived the challenges that brought its predecessors to an untimely end. Osteopathy was founded in the 1880s by Andrew Taylor Still (1828-1917), who began his medical career as an apprentice to his father but who gravitated to an assortment of drugless substitutes, including magnetic healing and bonesetting, before discovering that manipulative therapy had applications beyond typical orthopedic problems. By 1889, Still had opened his own infirmary in Kirksville, Mo, and introduced to the country his new science of healing. Five years later, he incorporated the American School of Osteopathy.

By the turn of the 20th century, while other sectarian groups were showing signs of decay, osteopathy was growing in the numbers of colleges (seven by 1915) and hospitals; benefiting from favorable state practice laws; and working to improve its curriculum and research. Like other sectarian groups, however, osteopathy suffered from a rash of internal squabbles that weakened its public image. Differences between its liberal and fundamentalist wings, the rise of osteopathic diploma mills and correspondence schools that issued unearned degrees, the challenges brought about by the emerging fields of bacteriology and immunology, the rivalry stemming from Daniel David Palmer?s chiropractic, and the scope and validity of its therapeutic modalities ("adjuncts") were just a few of the ongoing issues. A new generation of DOs came face to face with the limitations of Still?s fundamental principles, which viewed any modality other than OMT (osteopathic manipulative treatment) as having no place in his system.

Gevitz writes expertly on osteopathy?s response to Abraham Flexner?s Medical Education in the United States and Canada (1910) and the educational changes that schools underwent in the period between 1910 and 1935. However, the author?s greatest contribution is his deft handling of osteopathy?s problem of identity, ie, how osteopathy began as a radically unique approach to pathology and healing; how it shifted from chronic to broad-based practice; how it chipped away at its distinction from regular medicine by displacing OMT with pharmacotherapy, surgery, and other modalities; and how, as the DOs came closer to the MDs in terms of patient management, they became almost invisible in the public?s eye.

One outcome of this dilemma was the effort initiated by some to leave organized osteopathy for regular medicine, and the resulting debate within the American Medical Association on the issue of amalgamation vs cultism. Concomitant changes came by way of federal legislation and third-party providers that resulted in unprecedented growth of osteopathic schools (19 by 2002), making it the fastest growing physician population in the United States, producing a seven-fold increase in graduates since 1962. Yet, ironically, there continues to be a marked decline in traditional osteopathic teaching and continuing erosion of its distinctive identity.

Perhaps what has made it a success in today?s medical marketplace is the fact that, simply put, osteopathy provides medicine economically. Osteopaths have made few contributions to basic and applied research. As Gevitz points, out, "if all nineteen osteopathic schools were treated as one institution, it would rank 212 in the National Institutes of Health funding" (p 175).

Today, the stigma that so long trailed DOs has largely disappeared, albeit not forgotten. DOs and MDs routinely work together in myriad professional relationships. Nevertheless, osteopathy, which was once a social movement as well as a medical profession, remains largely invisible in the public eye. Gevitz suggests a program for revitalizing osteopathy?s independent existence, but his arguments lack conviction. Making the change from a medical minority to a medical elite will require a quantum leap from its present status as a school of second choice for many prospective medical students. In the last analysis, Gevitz concludes, "the future of osteopathic medicine may ultimately rest in the DOs own hands?and how they use them" (p 191).

This is a superbly written book, well researched, thoughtful, and enjoyable to read. Gevitz has made an important contribution to the canon of medical literature. The DOs should be required reading for both DOs and MDs alike.

John S. Haller, Jr, PhD, Reviewer
Southern Illinois University
Carbondale
[email protected]

Books, Journals, New Media Section Editor: Harriet S. Meyer, MD, Contributing Editor, JAMA; David H. Morse, MS, University of Southern California, Norris Medical Library, Journal Review Editor.

Members don't see this ad.

drusso said:

by Norman Gevitz, 2nd ed, 242 pp, $44.95, ISBN 0-8018-7833-0, paper, ....contribution to the canon of medical literature. The DOs should be ... California, Norris Medical Library, Journal Review Editor.

Exactly what I got out the book as well.

This will give more physicians some kind of information about the history of DOs. I don't think it will make a huge impact. Since it does not explain what a DO realy is.

It would be great to have a review or commentary about "DOs in America" outlining their qualification / training etc philosophy etc... in JAMA or NEJM or PNAS or Scientific America or another big name journal. That would really make an impact since science/medical prof from every field read these journal.

Members don't see this ad :)
drusso said:
"the future of osteopathic medicine may ultimately rest in the DOs own hands?and how they use them" (p 191).

Right on David!! Thanks for posting this. Thought the book was well written myself....and enjoyed reading it.

Diane L. Evans said:
The new addition has extra info on the history. A great book for those interviewing to read!!!!!
:) D

NORM GEVITZ...REPRESENTING OU!!!!

I just finished reading it, albeit the 1982 version. Gave me some great insight, hopefully will come up in interviews.

i loved the book and opened my EYES to osteopathic medical schools. Alot of mid chapters may seem little "boring" because every little arguments and laws are written about. But that's why this book is so thorough in history of how osteopathic medicine took shape.

one thing that does concern me that we hail Dr. Still as a the father. But, he never wanted surgery or any form of medicine to be included. He believed in OMT and only OMT. So my question would be that if you are a "real" osteopath, you would honor those traditions and practice only OMT. No? But at the same time, he wanted include full medical education for students to fully appreciate and understand the human physiology. Not to mention set apart from other forms of holistic approach.

My only wish would be that ALL future DOs take time to consider OMT in their practice. Even DOs are quick to prescribe medicines without giving try to simple approach. They will say that they do not have time, but I thought that's the reason I want to become a DO. Do all I can for my patients and if that means spending an extra 5 mins, I will do it.

I wish that school did MORE to integrate OMM. I hear this all the time from practicing DO. They do not feel comfortable or are not good at OMM. I am a premed but concerns me going into osteopathic medical school that I might not learn all that I should to be an osteopathic physician. For me, the quality of the OMM faculty will be an important consideration for choosing between two schools.

Do all I can for my patients and if that means spending an extra 5 mins, I will do it.

Problem is... the 5 extra minutes you spend with your patient is less time for other patients. For every 12 patients, you lose an hour in a day.

Can anyone write a book report for JAMA? lol

cause as someone stated above. We should get a review on a book discussing What a DO is...

But then again, I also think the AOA should have an aggressive osteopathic medicine awareness campaign, I would contribute $ for that. I'm sure others would as well...

more people are beginning to become aware. I told some girl I met I was in medical school and she asked: 'oh are you going to be an MD or an OD'; I had to graciously correct her and commend her for knowing as well.

...one thing that does concern me that we hail Dr. Still as a the father. But, he never wanted surgery or any form of medicine to be included.

Times change. After all, during Still's time "surgery" involved hacking people open with no anesthetic besides whiskey, and as far as medicine went.. well, besides colchicine, I'm not sure they had anything helpful.

To me, the thing that makes Still important is not his work inventing OMM (after all, new treatment methods are devised all the time), but that he was willing to acknowledge that orthodox methods of treatment were ineffective, perhaps even dangerous, at a time when it was socially unacceptable.

As far as OMM today.. well, I haven't actually seen it yet, but I would imagine it was much more useful in Still's day when the average American citizen's job was agricultural and involved oodles of hard labor. That doesn't mean it's worthless now, but I think that a perhaps undue emphasis is being placed on OMM simply because it is easy to raise it up as a readily identifiable feature of DOs.

did some of you even read the book? if you did, you would know that Still warmed up to the idea of surgery. in fact, he thought osteopathy was finally complete with the inclusion of surgery. he did not want the materia medica of his era.