Questions about Osteopathic Medicine and Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMLJasmine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from the U.S. and will be attending medical school and likely residency in the U.S. I am trying to decide between DO and MD and have recently sent applications in to both. I have been considering living and working in Canada when I am out of school. What is the status of osteopathic medicine in Canada? How likely would it be for me to get a job in either DO or MD? Any advice or information that I could use to help me decide would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It should not be a problem at all.

In the major provinces. Ontario, BC, QUebec, Alberta you will be able to practice. Especially in primary care. Now if you decide to do specialty not primary... it must be an ACGME residency and you must get licensed with that specialty's college... then you should have no problem working in ON and BC.

NOW if you do MD degree in the US. You will have full access to working in any province. Now remember that some provinces will have exams you have to pass. ON and BC will prob do without these exams for US graduates (assuming you have USMLE or COMLEX).

Members don't see this ad :)
thats interesting, because not so long ago I read many posts on this forum that state that even for US MD's, technically it is possible to practice in canada, but realistically its impossibile. Now for DO's, I figure its at least 100 times more difficult, despite what the AOA claims.

Goose

Goose...Fraba said:
thats interesting, because not so long ago I read many posts on this forum that state that even for US MD's, technically it is possible to practice in canada, but realistically its impossibile. Now for DO's, I figure its at least 100 times more difficult, despite what the AOA claims.

Goose

If you do your residency in the US. ACGME accredited. And you have done the new USMLEs than you should have no trouble in Ontario, maybe also BC. In Quebec you have to pass some exams.. and language ones.

For Ontario it is not 100x more difficult.
In Saskat it is impossible for DOs.
For BC it is possible... prob. 1x to 5x harder.
For other provinces, maybe be easy or difficult.

IF YOU GO TO CARIBIANS or to Australia or UK... etc... it is 100x harder.

docbill said:
If you do your residency in the US. ACGME accredited. And you have done the new USMLEs than you should have no trouble in Ontario, maybe also BC. In Quebec you have to pass some exams.. and language ones.

For Ontario it is not 100x more difficult.
In Saskat it is impossible for DOs.
For BC it is possible... prob. 1x to 5x harder.
For other provinces, maybe be easy or difficult.

IF YOU GO TO CARIBIANS or to Australia or UK... etc... it is 100x harder.

How sure are you about this with Ontario?

As far as I know, if you didn't complete medical school in Canada, you have to jump through several difficult hoops to be licensed in Ontario. You have to first repeat a year of training in a residency program here (for free) for which to qualify, you must write the LMCC exams. These spots are limited and have thousands of applicants for only a few hundred spots (if that).

That is the last I've heard (as it applies to MD students from anywhere outside of Canada).

Mike59 said:
How sure are you about this with Ontario?

As far as I know, if you didn't complete medical school in Canada, you have to jump through several difficult hoops to be licensed in Ontario. You have to first repeat a year of training in a residency program here (for free) for which to qualify, you must write the LMCC exams. These spots are limited and have thousands of applicants for only a few hundred spots (if that).

That is the last I've heard (as it applies to MD students from anywhere outside of Canada).

That was true untilll not too long ago.. a few month.

Sunny123... might know some more.

http://www.cpso.on.ca/publications/dialogue/0305/repcoun.htm

Examination Equivalents

Council gave the Registration Committee direction to treat certain examinations as equivalent to the Canadian standard, the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examinations, Parts 1 and 2.

This initiative is part of the College’s ongoing implementation of its strategic planning goal of accelerating efforts to find creative ways to address physician resource needs without compromising registration standards. It was also one of the recommendations put forward by the College in its discussion paper, Tackling the Doctor Shortage.

The examinations that the Registration Committee will treat as equivalent to the MCCQE, include:

The USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Examinations), Steps 1, 2 and 3 as long as the sequence includes an assessment of clinical skills as demonstrated by successful completion of either:
USMLE Step 2 CS (Clinical Skills); or
ECFMG (Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates) CSA (Clinical Skills Assessment).
The COMLEX (Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination of the National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners) as long as the sequence includes the COMLEX USA Level 2-PE (Clinical Skills Component).
The examination sequence required by the Collège des Médicins du Québec as long as it contains the Examen Clinique Objectif Structure (ECOS).
The Registration Committee will continue to work to determine which other examinations might be considered equivalent to the MCCQE.