Homophobic or Hippocratic Oath. Which is Taught at Yeshiva?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YeshivaVictim

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeshiva Student Claims Anti-Gay Harassment in Court on March 16; Will Be Joined By Other Students Suing Yeshiva. Yeshiva students have garnered support from many notable New Yorkers including: Former NY City Public Advocate Mark Green, State Senator Tom Duane, Gay Rights Activist Allen Roskoff, Leonard Minsky, Rabbi Shlomo Nisanov and NY State Assemblywoman Nettie Mayersohn. CONTACT: Gregory Durham at 917-553-7160. Starting March 15, information will be available at www.yeshivavictims.org.

New York (PRWEB) March 15, 2006 -- On Thursday, March 16, at 9:15 a.m., Jeevan Padiyar, a former MD-PhD candidate at Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Yeshiva) will hold a press conference on the steps of NY State Supreme Court at 71 Thomas St in Manhattan.

At 9:30 a.m., in Part 13, 3rd floor, Judge Sheila Abdus-Salaam will hear arguments regarding new and damning evidence in Padiyar’s case against AECOM, including an anti-gay memo allegedly written by Dr. James David, Associate Dean for Students at Albert Einstein.

Padiyar will be joined by other AECOM students –Lydia Radin and Marlen Abramova; Leonard Minsky, former Director of Ralph Nader’s National Coalition of Universities for the Public Interest, which provided critical support in AECOM Professor Dr. Heidi Weissman’s high profile case against the college; and gay activists.

Padiyar (PAD-eee-yar), 29, a Howard Hughes fellow, Phi Beta Kappa and Tau Beta Pi, was recently dismissed from Albert Einstein/Yeshiva. Padiyar’s difficulties there began in 2003 when he was assigned an anti-gay roommate. To resolve the issue, Padiyar was forced to come out as gay to his advisor and Yeshiva officials. Initially, the school’s housing office refused to grant a roommate change, until Padiyar considered serious complaints against the college. Soon, Padiyar became the victim of what he claims was systematic harassment on the part of several previously-friendly academic advisors. He was suspended in May 2004, but continued to draw a salary and live in student housing for a year and a half until he retained counsel and forced Albert Einstein to grant him a hearing.

Padiyar and the other Yeshiva students have garnered support from many notable New Yorkers.

Former New York City Public Advocate Mark Green: Those in the academic world have a special responsibility to be welcoming of students of all backgrounds, including gay students, who have suffered enough discrimination.

NY State Senator Tom Duane: We must never accept bias of any kind in our society, but especially in our institutions of higher learning, who should serve as our beacons of diversity and fairness.

Leonard Minsky, former Director of the National Coalition of Universities for the Public Interest: Yeshiva/AECOM has continued to neglect the welfare of many of its best faculty and students, a neglect—considering its religious and ethical obligations—that the Jewish community, especially its philanthropists, must attend to and redress.

Allen Roskoff, gay rights activist and President, Jim Owles Liberal Democratic Club: Yeshiva's/AECOM's behavior is an outrage. Discrimination is unacceptable and unlawful and has no place in a civilized society. Yeshiva's behavior must be exposed and they must address the grievances of those whose have been adversely affected. As a university that receives government monies, they must adhere to the law.

Rabbi Shlomo Nisanov, President of VAAD Rabbanim of Queens, speaking in regard to the group of students pursuing cases against AECOM: Discrimination against anyone—Jew or non-Jew—should not be tolerated. Einstein’s behavior is at odds with the memory of everyone who perished during the Holocaust.

NY State Assemblywoman Nettie Mayersohn: As the Assemblywoman representing Marlen Abramova, I encourage the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University to come to the table and work with Ms. Abramova to resolve the problems she is experiencing. I would hope that the Yeshiva University would do all that it can to ensure that Ms. Abramova's rights are protected, as I would for all students.

Padiyar is represented by Tom Shanahan, Esq. of Shanahan & Associates and Michael Hardy, Esq.

CONTACT: Gregory Durham at 917-553-7160 e-mail protected from spam bots. Starting March 15, information will be available at www.yeshivavictims.org.

Index/Case Number - 110578/05 Supreme Court of the State of New York, County of New York

# # #

Trackback URL : http://prweb.com/pingpr.php/UHJvZi1JbnNlLVpldGEtTWFnbi1IYWxmLVplcm8=

Members don't see this ad.

This is probably a valid point to bring up. Too bad you're duplicate posting on multiple forums.

Wait for it....

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting...

http://yeshivavictims.org/Padiyar_Files.html

We had a thread on this controversy last week, and a med student posted refuting it (saying this guy stole some computers and a digital camera?). What's the backstory anyway? Was the memo forged? Do the author and recipient deny its existence?

i'm totally confused :confused: am i missing something here?

anon-y-mouse said:
the post was flagged as spam. I googled and found this press release:
http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2006/3/emw359023.htm

Looks like the victim is trying to advertise his case.

which post was flagged as spam, the one discrediting the guy's case?

well, we know from another case on the one website the aecom had an anti-gay housing policy six years ago (along with apparently half the schools in the country that subsidize housing). it seems reasonable that being openly gay was at least one characteristic of the person they didn't prefer. still, the memo seems over-the-top, and the idea of booting an academically promising student just for being openly gay just doesn't seem likely. is a nyc school with jewish roots really that socially conservative? i'd like to know before i send out primary apps in june--it could save me some money.

sanford_w/o_son said:
which post was flagged as spam, the one discrediting the guy's case?

well, we know from another case on the one website the aecom had an anti-gay housing policy six years ago (along with apparently half the schools in the country that subsidize housing). it seems reasonable that being openly gay was at least one characteristic of the person they didn't prefer. still, the memo seems over-the-top, and the idea of booting an academically promising student just for being openly gay just doesn't seem likely. is a nyc school with jewish roots really that socially conservative? i'd like to know before i send out primary apps in june--it could save me some money.

The whole thing seems bogus to me. Who knows how many gay students have graduated from there with nary a problem.

oh, i see. "yeshivavictim"s first post in THIS thread was flagged as spam, and he was banned.

funny how you can still read part of the original post if you put your cursor over the thread title in the thread listing page.

Zoom-Zoom said:
The whole thing seems bogus to me. Who knows how many gay students have graduated from there with nary a problem.

Isn't that the point?--"Who knows"? I'm really interested in hearing the other side of this case.

Ah, for that you'll have to wait for another news report or court documents. Or perhaps the journalist in you will have to embrace the beauty of the unknown :).

Members don't see this ad :)
willow18 said:
Ah, for that you'll have to wait for another news report or court documents. Or perhaps the journalist in you will have to embrace the beauty of the unknown :).

NOO!OOOOO!

sanford_w/o_son said:
oh, i see. "yeshivavictim"s first post in THIS thread was flagged as spam, and he was banned.

funny how you can still read part of the original post if you put your cursor over the thread title in the thread listing page.
yea, that's part of what had me confused

anon-y-mouse said:
Isn't that the point?--"Who knows"? I'm really interested in hearing the other side of this case.

What about "who knows"? Now I'm confused :confused:

I worked with student who unfortunately posted to multiple forums. He has a compelling story. For those that are curious he has posted all of his information at a personal website. I'm not sure if it is appropriate to post the website here, but since there seems to be quite a bit of interest and has already been posted in part by Anony-MOus in part you can go to www.yeshivavictims.org and read everything for your self.

Funny thing about the equipment the other medical student said he stole. The school accused this bright young man of steal items he purchased with his own money and reported to them as missing.

Agreed most rational people would say that this whole story makes no sense, but Albert Einstein is the same school who supposedly dismissed a student for stealing her mentors lab coat, even though she got permission to borrow it and he wrote a signed statement indicating its return.

There are many more people who I have researched about whose stories as crazy as they sound follow the same pattern as this young gentleman. Albert Einstein seems like a great place to be, unless you speak out. Then you suffer the wrath of god.

More to come soon

Has anyone considered that in 2001 Albert Einstein was sued for not letting a lesbian couple live together. Only after they were sued did they add sexual orientation to their non-descrimination policy. The case led to a landmark ruling in the court of appeals.

http://www.jewishsf.com/content/2-0...splaystory.html

What about the case of Heidi Weismann, who's work was plagarized but Yeshiva took the side of the plagarist, and fired the physician who was victimized. She won something like 6 million dollars.

If you do a lexis search for discrimination and Yeshiva University you find over a 100 entries in the last 15 years alone. Even if some of these are frivalous, 100 is still a little rediculous.

Consider this articles anti-gay article written by a professor at Albert Einstein

http://www.leaderu.com/jhs/socarides.html

and their objection to gay groups on campus

http://www.jewishsf.com/content/2-0...splaystory.html
Also would a school who is so just have by-laws as convoluted as Yeshiva
seriously give them a read...you won't believe your eyes.

http://www.aecom.yu.edu/ooe/students/by_laws.htm

Anyone who has studied any amount of law would know that most people don't come out and openly say I don't like you because you are gay, orange, jewish, budist, black, purple.... They have to find creative ways to attack their victims to make it appear legitimate. The only time stuff like this is known for it's true colors is when memos like Mr. Padiyar's surface.

As a practicing physician I am outraged by some of the careless comments posters have made without examining all the documents. As future physicians we should all know better than to pass judgement on anything without first understanding all the facts. Did anyone here even bother to see that Mr. Padiyar took a polygraph and hired a forensic linguist to exam the Dr. David Memo before he even went to court with it.

http://yeshivavictims.org/Case_Files.html

Please be a little less short sighted...And as far as Padiyar stealing equipment, did anyone notice he was accused of stealing his own property that he reported missing.

If it isn't discrimination that what is it, because nothing in this case that Yeshiva University has put make sense let alone is based on any discernable fact.

ConcernedMD said:
As a practicing physician I am outraged by some of the careless comments posters have made without examining all the documents. As future physicians we should all know better than to pass judgement on anything without first understanding all the facts. Did anyone here even bother to see that Mr. Padiyar took a polygraph and hired a forensic linguist to exam the Dr. David Memo before he even went to court with it.

I think it has a lot to do with the way the story is being advertised on a student admission website and the fact that it's difficult to hear the other side of the story. So far the advertisement of this issue seems more like guerilla tactics by a student on their waitlist than actually concerned individuals. You should be less concerned what a bunch of people on some admissions website think and more concerned about what the students who are currently attending Einstein think.

Something is really fishy about this whole thing and I think people are picking it up.

One person is going around spamming this forum with the same empty thread (I found 5 so far) about yeshivas. YeshivaVictim, ConcernedMD are the same person and he goes by other names. He is a nut pushing a anti-Jewish agenda.

I stopped responding to the other post (gay and considering einsten) since it got too much into religion debate.

The fact is that Einstein goes out of their way and beyond what is necessary to accomidate other religions and cultures. I am jewish and never got an interview in Einstein (although I applied and had good credentials), but you have gay people going there. This is the bottom line. Whether or not you like gay people or not is another story.

Medikit said:
Something is really fishy about this whole thing and I think people are picking it up.

You are exactly 100% right. Isn't it ODD that this "ConcernedMD" has *just* registered with SDN, *just* to refute or respond to what I've been saying, among the torrent of threads on SDN? Isn't it ALSO interesting that I was advised to "read the entire story" on their website? Well duh, the website where the "entire story" was published = authored by the VICTIM and his lawyers. Of course it is going to be highly biased. Also, it is irrelevant to this particular case that AECOM has been biased in the past with respect to housing, because it does NOT in fact deal with this particular student's case. Consider the scenario where this student, scared ****less, knowledgeable about previous cases against AECOM, decided to fabricate the letter and use that information to bolster his case. The argument is extremely well-spun, the propaganda machine is quite well oiled, but just like ALL such campaigns, the argument is specious unless all sides of the story are present. Something fishy is indeed going on. Kudos, though!

As I said, YeshivaVictim and ConcernedMD are the same person and he goes by other names. He is a nut who has nothing better to do with his time than spamming this forum.

ConcernedMD said:
As a practicing physician I am outraged by some of the careless comments posters have made without examining all the documents.
Yeah, fool, when all the "documents" are conveniently placed on the victim's website and absolutely no response from the school is there. Don't you see how NOT objective that is? Just one document from AECOM, a few failed tests, failed reports, etc. etc. could completely discredit the entire thing, especially since the student is using vague historical precedents to support his case. The only "damning" document is the alleged letter, which no administrator in their right mind would write. If you're even a doctor, you're probably one of those docs who gets duped into giving narcs to druggies.

yanky5 said:
He is a nut pushing a anti-Jewish agenda.
I am jewish and never got an interview in Einstein (although I applied and had good credentials), but you have gay people going there.

You are picking the wrong battles. It's not an anti-jewish thing (I think the case of the academic dishonesty by that other girl is what you're talking about). But yes, it is spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.