IAUPR: is the Puerto Rico school legit or 'plan B'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenabso

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in the Inter-American University of Puerto Rico optometry school. The biggest draw for me is that i could advance my Spanish speaking skills, in order to go on to do medical missions in Latin America.

However, i noticed from the ASCO site that their entering GPA and OAT scores are the lowest of all the schools. Additionally, the admissions dates are later than everyone elses dates.

Does this mean that it is a "plan B" school? i hope not, because it's actually my first choice. (2nd=Southern College of Optometry, Memphis TN). I do know that it is fully accredited.

Please tell me the BUZZ on this school if you know it. Good and/or Bad.

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

i was a pre opt junkie, i mean i knew everything you needed to know about optometry school, i have even visted 7 (that's gotta be some kind of record) but i never heard anything about Puerto Rico, good or bad (and trust me that schools like to say "we are #1,or 2 , this other program is too researched based, blah blah".)

if spanish exams is your goal - PR sounds like a good deal. i actually did not apply because i was too scared of the spanish requirement (i *think* you have to be able to do an exam in spanish by second year and i was afread)

one thing i would suggest to you would be to find an alumni and see what they thought of their program - a recent grad would be best. (the admit office should have a list) :cool:

The Inter American University is the biggest private university system in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean with about 44,000 students; it is also the first institution out of the continental United States to be accreditted by Middle States Association (since 1944). It has 9 campuses across the island and two professional schools, one of them is law and the other is optometry. I am an alumni from the Bayamón campus where a new state of the art optometry school building is under construction. It will be inaugurated by fall 2007.

I am not an optometry student (actually I am a MD-MPH student), I went to the Inter American University for undergradute. However, I can give you some information that you might find useful. The issue of the lower scores required in the standarized tests (OAT, MCAT, LSAT) for admission to graduate or professional school in Puerto Rico is because most of the people in the island speaks spanish with English as a second language and the scores are down scaled to reflect this reality, (imagine yourself taking a test like the OAT in spanish - OUCH!!!). The same happens for Med School and Law School.

You should not be worried about accreditation because the school is fully accreditted, so you will not have any problems when you go back home to practice the profession. I can assure you that the quality of the education that you will receive, if you decide to attend, at IAUOS will not be any less than any other similar program in the United States or Canada.

I should warn you about something the language issue. Lectures are conducted either in English or Spanish, and sometimes a combination of both (it depends upon the instructor); however, terminology, books and exams are always in English. You will need to understand and speak Spanish (at least to a basic level) because your patients in the clinical practice will be mostly Spanish speakers.

A piece of advice: Always follow your heart to wherever it leads you. Numbers doesn't mean anything (#1, #2, etc.) it is up to you to make a difference and always do your best. If what you want is to serve in Latin America you must know some Spanish and Puerto Rico is the perfect place for accomplish your two goals to become an optometrist and to improve your Spanish language skills.

Take care!!!!!

Useful links:

http://optonet.inter.edu/home.html

http://www.inter.edu/en/index.asp

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current student and would say that if you had another option other than puerto rico, take it. I turned down one because i expected this to fit the standards. PR in general does not work the way the US does. Same goes for the school. It is a second rate education, and we often joke we are "homeschooled optometrists". There are only 4 professors who know their subject, and many of the clinicians no pass us students simply because we are americans or non-native spanish speakers. Its amazing the lack of integrity and professionalism here.
That said, they will take transfers from anywhere. This is like a "last stop" optometry school. If you make it into Nova, good chance is you will end up here anyway. But you will pass your 1st board after Nova. Our class of 2009 just recieved their board scores. 2 people out of 48 passed. We are the lowest in the nation, and its due to our schooling. I'm serious when i say there are very few relevant things being taught and tested.

I hope this helps. If you need anything else, respond back.
Good luck, and if you come here.... we'll have fun! (the students are the best part of this school)

I have they shut down IAUPR and Nova!

What do you mean by this?

I think he/she meant that if you get accepted to NOVA and IAUPR you will end up at NOVA, since you will know that you will pass the boards.

actually i think this has been a topic of discussion in the past, where a substantial number of nova students ended up going to puerto rico to finish their degree because they got kicked out of nova. anyway to the OP please elaborate.

actually i think this has been a topic of discussion in the past, where a substantial number of nova students ended up going to puerto rico to finish their degree because they got kicked out of nova. anyway to the OP please elaborate.

I've also heard the same thing from an IAUPR student.

Hey all, I am a 1st year student at IAUPR and am not sure if this helps the origional poster, but like the title says, IAUPR is what you make of it. It's true, Puerto Rico is not the US, and that is the first thing to keep in mind when dealing with the school/admin./faculty/people. They live at the island pace and deal with things when they feel like it. You have to be able to study on your own and learn on your own. It's true that the school has a lower GPA, OAT admissions standard, but for many people here it has given us a chance to achieve our career goals. I personally, had a little too much fun my first few years of undergrad, and therefore had a very poor GPA, and my OAT score was pretty good but wasn't record breaking by any means. But I am very motivated to learn the profession and am extremely grateful because most of the other schools wouldn't even consider me due to that GPA. GPA does not always reflect work ethic/ability.

In addition the hispanic population is ever increasing (25% of the population by 2020!!!) and the demand for bilingual doctors in the US and abroad is incredible. IAUPR gives you the oppurtunity to be proficient in both languages and thats something no other school can say. "So we got that goin for us (which is nice)"

What matters most, is the school is accredited. You will learn how to treat patients first and foremost, and the boards are your own responsibility here. If you are unwilling to learn the spanish language (or what puertoricans call spanish) then you will not succeed. If you are unwilling to give a full effort and take responsibility for your own education, you will not succeed. And finally if you are not serious about this profession, you will not succeed. (the last two can be said about any school).

Plus, come on, its the carribean!! (I'm from IL, and right now there's 6 inches of snow on the ground back home). So, that's my two sense, i hope it helps.
PS Hi Monica!!!!!!

I shadowed an OD that went to Puerto Rico because he was kicked out of NOVA (like was said before). He loved Puerto Rico. But, he said you have to get used to the mentality. It's much more laid back there and you pretty much have to do things on your own. But, he loved the island and how easy going it was. He lived minutes from the beach. He did complain that the administration/faculty really didn't do much for you. You're pretty much on your own. But, he is a succesful doc now with an excellent private practice. School is what you make of it no matter where you go.

IAUPR gives you the oppurtunity to be proficient in both languages and thats something no other school can say. "So we got that goin for us (which is nice)"

:laugh: anyone who can include a quote from caddyshack is good people :laugh:

Plus, come on, its the carribean!! (I'm from IL, and right now there's 6 inches of snow on the ground back home).

If you are into learning new languages, please come to Montreal- we have our Universite de Montreal- and after looking at the curriculum it seems like one of the harder ones- definitely battling it on with SUNY.

But..... you have to love 40 cm of snow:eek: though.....times two- we had two storms in the past lovely (freezing my kidneys off) weeks

Members don't see this ad :)
Today was nice and sunny, 85 degrees F. in PR. I moved here from the states a couple of years ago and let me tell you it kinda freaked me out at first finding myself on the beach in late december/ early January. Now, it's just nice :thumbup:

What do you mean by this?
I'm sorry for the delay...
a transfer from Nova elaborated numbers for me--- his first year class began at 124 people. 81 graduated this past year. Do the math. We have about 10 Nova guys/gals transfer to PR every year. But again, the education at Nova is better than ours in PR--- at least those that "failed' out of Nova pass boards the first time.
Like I said, we are a "last stop".
I agree with previous posters that this school is what you make it; i for one felt lied to, violated, and treated like a child. You will understand after aweek of classes here. But, I know when i graduate- It is MY accomplishment, no thanks to the school. I'm just scared there are things I'll miss.

So, in a nutshell, if you can't get anywhere else, come here. If you can, go there.
God bless!

Hey all, I am a 1st year student at IAUPR and am not sure if this helps the origional poster, but like the title says, IAUPR is what you make of it. It's true, Puerto Rico is not the US, and that is the first thing to keep in mind when dealing with the school/admin./faculty/people. They live at the island pace and deal with things when they feel like it. You have to be able to study on your own and learn on your own. It's true that the school has a lower GPA, OAT admissions standard, but for many people here it has given us a chance to achieve our career goals. I personally, had a little too much fun my first few years of undergrad, and therefore had a very poor GPA, and my OAT score was pretty good but wasn't record breaking by any means. But I am very motivated to learn the profession and am extremely grateful because most of the other schools wouldn't even consider me due to that GPA. GPA does not always reflect work ethic/ability.

In addition the hispanic population is ever increasing (25% of the population by 2020!!!) and the demand for bilingual doctors in the US and abroad is incredible. IAUPR gives you the oppurtunity to be proficient in both languages and thats something no other school can say. "So we got that goin for us (which is nice)"

What matters most, is the school is accredited. You will learn how to treat patients first and foremost, and the boards are your own responsibility here. If you are unwilling to learn the spanish language (or what puertoricans call spanish) then you will not succeed. If you are unwilling to give a full effort and take responsibility for your own education, you will not succeed. And finally if you are not serious about this profession, you will not succeed. (the last two can be said about any school).

Plus, come on, its the carribean!! (I'm from IL, and right now there's 6 inches of snow on the ground back home). So, that's my two sense, i hope it helps.
PS Hi Monica!!!!!!

el vice-presidente de la clase ? :hardy:

I am a current student and would say that if you had another option other than puerto rico, take it. I turned down one because i expected this to fit the standards. PR in general does not work the way the US does. Same goes for the school. It is a second rate education, and we often joke we are "homeschooled optometrists". There are only 4 professors who know their subject, and many of the clinicians no pass us students simply because we are americans or non-native spanish speakers. Its amazing the lack of integrity and professionalism here.
That said, they will take transfers from anywhere. This is like a "last stop" optometry school. If you make it into Nova, good chance is you will end up here anyway. But you will pass your 1st board after Nova. Our class of 2009 just recieved their board scores. 2 people out of 48 passed. We are the lowest in the nation, and its due to our schooling. I'm serious when i say there are very few relevant things being taught and tested.

I hope this helps. If you need anything else, respond back.
Good luck, and if you come here.... we'll have fun! (the students are the best part of this school)

Not everyone took the boards. Per The Accreditation Council on Optometric Education (ACOE) representatives visiting this week, below are the NBEO passing rate for first time takers:

Part I: 57%
Part II: 52%
Part III: 72%

It's low compare to the national average, I agree. It's your responsibility to study and pass the boards. Those that complain here most likely are having problems with their classes. If you put in the time and effort to learn and pass your classes, I don't see a problem passing the boards. There are issues with administration and faculty, I get very frustrated myself at times especially on my first semester here. I have a feeling that IAUPR students who bashes the school can't even pass their classes and have to take remedial course(s) and blame the school for their shortcomings. I do feel sometime that we are "homeschooled" but in graduate school, it's the student's responsibility to learn not just from the lectures and professors but also on your own that's not covered. If you have any questions or concern just PM me and I can tell you the pros and cons of the school. By the way, I'm also a current student. Just my two cents.

Here is the previous quote...
"Not everyone took the boards. Per The Accreditation Council on Optometric Education (ACOE) representatives visiting this week, below are the NBEO passing rate for first time takers:

Part III: 72%"

Almost correct. The ACOE gave us this as our "GRADUATING" statistics. This is our pass rate for the class of 2005 at their graduation. Scary huh?
Our correct FIRST time past rate is about 12% (per ACOE again.)

Its been a fun day with the ACOE. We'll keep you posted.

signed,
Concerned student for change to make this school a better (or normal!) one!

Here is the previous quote...
"Not everyone took the boards. Per The Accreditation Council on Optometric Education (ACOE) representatives visiting this week, below are the NBEO passing rate for first time takers:

Part III: 72%"

Almost correct. The ACOE gave us this as our "GRADUATING" statistics. This is our pass rate for the class of 2005 at their graduation. Scary huh?
Our correct FIRST time past rate is about 12% (per ACOE again.)

Its been a fun day with the ACOE. We'll keep you posted.

signed,
Concerned student for change to make this school a better (or normal!) one!

I agree with you as far as the school improving the board passing rate and making the change. It can start with some of the administrators and faculty. But if you put in the time and effort to study, I don't think you need to worry about passing the board. You're starting to sound like maddi (who was banned from the forum). All she did was bashed and blame the school and she has not passed the NBEO years after she graudated. It's easy to point fingers at others when things are not going your way. You're entitled to your opion but I think majority of the students does not share your sentiments. Are you looking out for the welfare of those considering IAUPR and current students or all you care about is your opinion even if it's brining so much negativity both to the school and students including me? remember, what you say about the school also reflects back at you. If the school is so bad why don't you transfer even if you have to start all over?

Update us on how the meeting went with the ACOE reps and students. As I'm posting this, you're probably in the meeting with them. I didn't attend because I'm not worried about passing the boards because I'm learning and passing my courses. How about you?

So please people, read with a grain of salt and decide about IAUPR. It's always those with bad experience that voices out their opinion. Too bad not a lot of people with good experience have the guts to speak out and be heard. Not all my experience are positive about the school but I think it outweights the negative.

Wow. Funny you say so. I do not want other students to be duped as our years have been. Please don't try to start fights and name call- i have not said anything remotely close to Maddi. i have not dropped out, retaken classes or anything of that nature.
I don't understand the need to defend an ill natured school whose faculty lie, cheat and take advantage of their students and promote the school as you-- and possibly deceive students who are looking for answers to their questions. This forum is about our experience, and i shared mine. You have a right to yours, and from the sounds of it, you are still in first year. I bet your opinion will change as you finally get to graduating level as i have.
I agree with you as far as the school improving the board passing rate and making the change. It can start with some of the administrators and faculty. But if you put in the time and effort to study, I don't think you need to worry about passing the board. You're starting to sound like maddi (who was banned from the forum). All she did was bashed and blame the school and she has not passed the NBEO years after she graudated. It's easy to point fingers at others when things are not going your way. You're entitled to your opion but I think majority of the students does not share your sentiments. Are you looking out for the welfare of those considering IAUPR and current students or all you care about is your opinion even if it's brining so much negativity both to the school and students including me? remember, what you say about the school also reflects back at you. If the school is so bad why don't you transfer even if you have to start all over?

Update us on how the meeting went with the ACOE reps and students. As I'm posting this, you're probably in the meeting with them. I didn't attend because I'm not worried about passing the boards because I'm learning and passing my courses. How about you?

So please people, read with a grain of salt and decide about IAUPR. It's always those with bad experience that voices out their opinion. Too bad not a lot of people with good experience have the guts to speak out and be heard. Not all my experience are positive about the school but I think it outweights the negative.

Yes dear friend, but not too worry!!!

As we were notified by the Accred council today (as no doubt you read in previous posts!) things are changing.
The US Congress along with the National Board of Education have created rules and guidelines (as of Dec 07). The NBE is actually who accreditates the Accreditation council to accred other schools of optometry (try saying that 5x fast!). So... they decided that the National Board (or NBEO) is the only way to "prove" a student/doctor has knowledge to be a doctor.
Heres the good news- starting across the states, all schools, everyone- the ultimate minimum for a schools pass rate is 70% of students. This will start either this next board offering or the next (they said it is up for a vote which it will begin, within their own council)
If a school is under 70% for 3 years consecutively, then measures will be taken and an investigation will take place. If they are still under after 4 consecutive years then the accreditation will be an issue.
per Dr Roark, chairman of the visiting council.

If you've heard my gripe about boards and our unwillingness of our administration to do anything--- - well, here is our accountability finally. Things should be changing.
There is alot that needs to be changed, but this is our biggest issue. Once this gets into play, and administration makes the needed changes, then i 'might' say thats its okay to come here.
This is good news for you guys who are nervous about coming. Change is coming--
Like Barak Obama- change is good and hope is alive!

have a terrific night!

Wow. Funny you say so. I do not want other students to be duped as our years have been. Please don't try to start fights and name call- i have not said anything remotely close to Maddi. i have not dropped out, retaken classes or anything of that nature.
I don't understand the need to defend an ill natured school whose faculty lie, cheat and take advantage of their students and promote the school as you-- and possibly deceive students who are looking for answers to their questions. This forum is about our experience, and i shared mine. You have a right to yours, and from the sounds of it, you are still in first year. I bet your opinion will change as you finally get to graduating level as i have.

Hmmm....did I do any promotion of the school? As far as I can remember, I have not posted such thing. Didn't I agree with you that the school has issues and change need to take place? All I'm saying is that this is a public forum. Anything you post here reflects back to the students including you and me not just the school. I said it before, anyone who has questions about the school to PM me. I'm going to answer it the way it is. Even if it's good or bad but in an objective manner. I don't see your objectivity on this issue. All I read is your perception is your reality.

So everyone, again if you have any questions regarding the school, please PM me and I will answer it to the best of my ability. I will even include Hambre to the recipient of my reply so he can make sure I'm not sugar coating my response.

First, if you are so concerned... this meeting is one of the single most important meetings of your tenure as a student! Your lack of concern in hearing the open forum between the people we answer to and hearing your upperclassmen amaze me.
There was no slamming of the school. We thoroughly discussed our key problems and gave our plans to make the school better. They asked why things haven't changed and the answer came down- our faculty/dean is receptive... but inactive. We do not recieve action.
I'll put it this way: some of the other first years have ask me, and other fellow students why seem to be putting down the school-
after this meeting one came to me and said "i didn't know ALL the upperclassmen felt this way."
This is my last reply to you on "opinions". I just want you to know it was a beautifully controlled uniting of the student body. There were no fights, there was nothing- we at one point stated we are embarrassed to be here, and its not because we haven't tried, its because our faculty hold us back and prevent us from succeeding. Assa class president of third year got a discussion going how we all try, and still try to try harder and we WANT to be proud of the school, we WANT to be proud!
As i said it was very unifying, enlightening. I just want everyone here to know the most positive point of this school is our student body. I always have been taken care of by them. We are a family here.
And again, ask someone who as in the meeting and if you know anyone in student council ask about that followup meeting. There they mentioned things involving the need (or our lack of) accountability of the administration/faculty. First meeting (per count of Dr Roark), 70 students showed. This a little less than half our enrollment (as 4th years are on rotations and couldn't make it). Thats amazing! Dr Roark mentioned that he was excited to see student concern.
Please friend, ask what was said in the meeting and see if that discussed here... was discussed there.
They even had a talk (in both) of the bad things in our finacial aid and correct measure. Then even talked (that accountability issue) about our favorite professor Bucarelli who "misplaces" grades/tests then fails everyone.
Lastly (or firstly, as it was the first thing mentioned), we discussed class size. The school has requested a 10 student increase per class, per year for the next 4 years. So, in 4 years there will be an additional 40 students PER class. The overwhelming response of the students was NO!!!!! We seriously do NOT have the room, supplies, patients, clinic rooms, testing abilities etc... to do such.
Then the NBEO report---- which you can see in one of the posts before this one.
Our report doesn't become official til june. I'm not expecting wonders with it, but we have nowhere to go but up!

Again, i was HIGHLY encouraged. Our student body was ONE and agreed on every issue! Please ask about the meeting to hear from someone else who was there. Ask what your upperclassmen stated.

I don't want to fight with a fellow student on here, so if you want to reply to me, PM me. My "fight" if you will, is not with my fellow students (2-4th year were united on the issues, the first years were shocked its this bad later) but with the heart of the problem- administration. As I said, the students are an impressive, united front.
whoooo...
So good luck everybody on next boards! As Mr B Dylan stated "The Times, They are a'Changin'"

i know this is old post and also i'm not a opt student but rather pharmacy student. I do know quite a few opt students and i'm 100% positive when i say their program is not a joke. Granted the dental program at Nova is the hardest, the opt program is very good.

i know this is old post and also i'm not a opt student but rather pharmacy student. I do know quite a few opt students and i'm 100% positive when i say their program is not a joke. Granted the dental program at Nova is the hardest, the opt program is very good.

Which school are you referring to? NOVA or IAUPR?