Western University Rant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

borntoboogie

KSU c/o 2014!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not to worry I haven't heard anything from Western besides this fun little story that I would like to share with the world. I'm sure other people have similar stories but I feel the need to tell everyone who applied to Western this year what the Dean of Admissions, Karen Hutton Lopez, told me when I spoke with her on the phone.

She had emailed me on 11/10 to tell me that my application was incomplete because they never received my check or my personal questionnaire but they did receive my CV and essays. Since they did not receive these things by the postmark date of 10/15, I was automatically rejected. Naturally I freaked out and called her office.

She spoke with me and told me that she had just opened my envelope that day and those two things were missing. I told her that was impossible because I had mailed all four things together. Why would I mail four things separately? She basically said I was SOL.

Went online to check my bank account. Low and behold they had cashed my check 2 weeks prior!!! Called her back and explained that they actually had my check and probably had misplaced the other part and that I could just email her the rest. She said that I was SOL again. I demanded my money back and she said it was non refundable, that if I had gotten rejected that I wouldn't have gotten it back. I said that was fine and understandable but since my application hadn't even been evaluated I wanted my money back.

She said fine but, this is the kicker, she said and I quote "Well we don't even look at all the applications anyways!". I had her on speaker phone and three of my friends heard these words. So if you get rejected don't feel bad because they were probably too lazy to actually look at your application and just took your money and ran with it. Besides the fact that the Dean of Admissions is a blatant liar and lied about opening my application that day when in fact she had cashed my check 2 weeks prior to even telling me something was missing.
Onwards and upwards :D

Members don't see this ad.

What do they mean they don't look at all the applications? That doesn't make any sense. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I would definitely be demanding my money back as well.

I know that they have looked at my application because they e-mailed me asking questions about specific classes. I had to e-mail them a syllabus for one of my courses. I am getting kind of worried because they have yet to cash my check. I placed everything in the same envelope and sent it certified mail. My check was stapled to everything else; so it would be hard to miss. Anyone else not have Western deposit your check yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. I'm so sorry that happened to you! I would be so upset. I feel like all of the schools i've applied to so far have such nice staff. I really hope that this is a one time thing! Good luck and I hope you applied to other schools hah

I hope no one will really appease this story of yours any longer. Especially since you were obviously so upset you have your facts blatantly wrong. Karen isn't the Dean, she's not even the associate dean. She is a guidance/ admissions counselor. Obviously you were so upset you spoke to who was really in charge! Good for you.

I know that they have looked at my application because they e-mailed me asking questions about specific classes. I had to e-mail them a syllabus for one of my courses. I am getting kind of worried because they have yet to cash my check. I placed everything in the same envelope and sent it certified mail. My check was stapled to everything else; so it would be hard to miss. Anyone else not have Western deposit your check yet?

THey cashed my check in October, less then a week after I sent everything.

I hope no one will really appease this story of yours any longer. Especially since you were obviously so upset you have your facts blatantly wrong. Karen isn't the Dean, she's not even the associate dean. She is a guidance/ admissions counselor. Obviously you were so upset you spoke to who was really in charge! Good for you.

Hey now, that is an easy mistake to make. I remember last year not really understanding who was who in admissions - names kept popping up as the year went on, and I was only applying to one school! Give the OP a break.

OP, I wonder if you could (very politely) raise your concerns with the dean of admissions or another appropriate individual. Did you do delivery confirmation or anything so that you could have documentation of when it arrived? Crazy things happen with the mail, and perhaps another person would be willing to listen to you and allow you to re-send the missing items.

Since I was there when this all went down, I can verify her story and what that woman said. I was absolutely unbelievable.

And certifying your mail does not mean that they will receive it. I certified my mail to a school, they signed for it and when I called them, they said it was never received. I sent the supporting documentation to prove that it was signed. They admitted that it had reached their school but hadn't made it to their office...big school I guess... ;) They did however luckily decide to review it. Western's opinion was that "we may have received it but you can't prove it would have been complete." Kinda sick.

Last edited:
Got an email on 10/19 stating VMCAS was received, 10/27 supplemental received, and they cashed my check on 10/28. I was in contact with Lacey prior to submitting VMCAS to be sure I had everything in order. I was never contacted that anything was missing and was only told to send fall 09 transcripts by the end of january. Pretty smooth sailing so far.

OP, sorry that happened to you! I can only imagine the frustration, and it is really your word against theirs. I included a list of contents in my envelope and sent it with delivery confirmation. I wonder why they don't have an online app like most of the others.

I wonder if she meant that each person doesn't review all of the applications. There are several different admissions people which check the applications are complete, each one has an amount assigned based on the first letter of the applicants last name.

She may have also meant they don't review all applications as in "We don't look at incomplete applications."

Should I be worried that they have not deposited my check yet? I might give them a call on Monday to see what has happened. I know my app. is complete because I got both e-mails from them.

It's weird that she would even say they don't look at all the applications. That doesn't really have much to do with the conversation you were having. Maybe she was saying they don't look at all of the supplemental applications. Who knows.

Wait, that's is strange. I got an email in late October saying that they had received my VMCAS and supplemental, and if any part was missing I would have two weeks after the notification to get it to them. That implies that they do give you a chance to get late materials to them as long as the bulk of your application was in by the deadline. If I were you, I would directly contact someone higher up than an admissions counselor. Good luck!