After new AAMC research, schools may frown on those claiming disadvantaged statu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wereallrelated

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
https://www.aamc.org/download/165418/data/aibvol9_no11.pdf.pdf

New research by AAMC shows that students claiming low socioeconomic disadvantaged status, even those with higher MCAT scores, are more likely to withdraw or be dismissed in the first two years of medical school. Medical admission officers are likely to increasingly frown on people claiming disadvantaged status as a result.

Members don't see this ad.

New research by AAMC shows that students claiming low socioeconomic disadvantaged status, even those with higher MCAT scores, are more likely to withdraw or be dismissed in the first two years of medical school. Medical admission officers are likely to increasingly frown on people claiming disadvantaged status as a result.
Jumping to conclusions much?
Also I'd like to see that students from lower SES backgrounds are more likely to drop out of medical school at the same MCAT as students of higher means. There are only two groups: 27 and below, and above 27. The attrition rates for low SES students with higher MCAT is lower than high SES students with lower MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)

The article in no way, shape, or form discusses the possibility or likelihood that medical schools will begin frowning on disadvantaged students. That would seem like admissions equivalent of kicking someone while they're down. They do touch on increased schools resources to help struggling disadvantaged medical students. However, with a 98% attrition rate, keeping any medical students in medical school does not seem like too much of a problem, though admittedly more of a problem for disadvantaged students than the rest.

Jumping to conclusions much?
Also I'd like to see that students from lower SES backgrounds are more likely to drop out of medical school at the same MCAT as students of higher means. There are only two groups: 27 and below, and above 27. The attrition rates for low SES students with higher MCAT is lower than high SES students with lower MCAT.

27 was chosen because some earlier study by the AAMC (citation?) showed that students with a 27 or greater MCAT score are all capable of completing the medical school curriculum.

This isn't even looking at students who claim disadvantaged status, it is looking a parental education level. I cannot foresee any admissions office making an admissions decision based on the fact that neither of the applicant's parents have a college degree, regardless of some minuscule increase in the chance they drop out. Furthermore, the AAMC study suggests that schools find more ways to help these students who are at risk and notes that the primary concern for these students is the potential need for a part time job and the strain that that causes.

Oh wait, you just wanted someone to agree with you that OH NOES THE URMZ R TAKIN ALL R MED SPOTS.

27 was chosen because some earlier study by the AAMC (citation?) showed that students with a 27 or greater MCAT score are all capable of completing the medical school curriculum.
The point I was trying to make is that it is likely that lower SES students disproportionately make up the lower part of each range, and so directly comparing only between (high and low MCAT) groups and not within groups does not make much sense.

This isn't even looking at students who claim disadvantaged status, it is looking a parental education level. I cannot foresee any admissions office making an admissions decision based on the fact that neither of the applicant's parents have a college degree, regardless of some minuscule increase in the chance they drop out. Furthermore, the AAMC study suggests that schools find more ways to help these students who are at risk and notes that the primary concern for these students is the potential need for a part time job and the strain that that causes.

Oh wait, you just wanted someone to agree with you that OH NOES THE URMZ R TAKIN ALL R MED SPOTS.

Hahaha yes!

I should have put everything in quotes but when I coped and posted, everything was bold and unformatted and I was focusing on the formatting and un-bolding the text. I was merely forwarding what someone had sent me on Facebook without any editorial comments of my own. I thought it was interesting.

The article in no way, shape, or form discusses the possibility or likelihood that medical schools will begin frowning on disadvantaged students. That would seem like admissions equivalent of kicking someone while they're down. They do touch on increased schools resources to help struggling disadvantaged medical students. However, with a 98% attrition rate, keeping any medical students in medical school does not seem like too much of a problem, though admittedly more of a problem for disadvantaged students than the rest.

Yeah, you need a dictionary...

Yeah, you need a dictionary...

Or it was just a typographical error? Let's be critical to assert dominance though, that always seems to work well. 100-what I said = attrition rate=2%. 1000 apologies, oh wise one.

Or it was just a typographical error? Let's be critical to assert dominance though, that always seems to work well. 100-what I said = attrition rate=2%. 1000 apologies, oh wise one.

Sorry to hurt your feelings, princess.

correlation.png

Members don't see this ad :)
The article states something two sentences into the article that is actually the opposite of what the op was trying to claim. :rolleyes:

Understanding the relationship of socioeconomic status to medical
school completion can help schools tailor support mechanisms for students who may struggle early in their medical education and reduce the incidence of leaving medical school with debt, but without a degree.
Good job op. You're a typical over-dramatic, sensationalist pre-med. How does it feel?

I am the OP. Like I said before, I should have put everything in quotes but when I copied and posted, everything was bold and unformatted and I was focusing on the formatting and un-bolding the text. I was merely forwarding what someone had sent me on Facebook without any editorial comments of my own. I thought it was interesting.

I am the OP. Like I said before, I should have put everything in quotes but when I copied and posted, everything was bold and unformatted and I was focusing on the formatting and un-bolding the text. I was merely forwarding what someone had sent me on Facebook without any editorial comments of my own. I thought it was interesting.
This should be something you mention in the first post :laugh:

There's an 'Edit' button, right?

Re methodology:
We chose the MCAT score of 28 to divide matriculants for two reasons: 1) a score of 28 is approximately the mean
score for each year’s applicant pool and 2) using the mean for matriculating students significantly decreases the
number of lower SES matriculants in the group of those with high MCAT scores.

Although the OP suggests that this paper is related to self-idenfitied "disadvantaged" applicants/matriculants, it used parental education as a proxy for SES.

Re methodology:

Although the OP suggests that this paper is related to self-idenfitied "disadvantaged" applicants/matriculants, it used parental education as a proxy for SES.
Are we required to list our parents education or is it optional?

Are we required to list our parents education or is it optional?

It is optional and I tend to see it in 90-95% of applications. As you can see, the vast majority of successful applicants are from families where at least one parent has an advanced degree.

Some of us will make a case for low SES applicants as providing a diversity of viewpoints in classroom discussion. This new research by AAMC raises the question of the wisdom of that strategy. As noted in the article, there may be a need for additional funding and other support of these students given their risk of dropping out.

Some of us will make a case for low SES applicants as providing a diversity of viewpoints in classroom discussion. This new research by AAMC raises the question of the wisdom of that strategy.

And if, like Lizzy M, other school admins start thinking the same way, they too may question the wisdom of accepting students with a disadvantaged status.

I hope ad coms wouldn't reject people because of generalizations like this. Why should applicants be "punished" for something they had no control over like parent education level because others with a similar aspect of family history have shown higher levels of drop out? This says absolutely nothing about the particular applicant under consideration, at least in my opinion. I'm sure you could come up with any number of groups whose members collectively have higher drop out rates. It should definitely not be a factor that affects individual decisions.

Why should applicants be "punished" for something they had no control over like parent education level because others with a similar aspect of family history have shown higher levels of drop out?

Well, applicants are already being "punished" for a number of factors they had no control over. Like race. Or nationality (someone who was educated in Israel and became an American citizen later) will be discriminated against because he does not have a US undergraduate degree.

Really? Med schools are more likely to punish (i.e. assume to have certain undesirable qualities and therefore reject) people based on race? I hope not.

Nationality, yes, I think U.S. med schools are meant to primarily train U.S. physicians. This makes sense to me. I don't believe in the scenario you described that this particular person would be more likely to be rejected. As long as you are a US citizen or permanent resident then you should be able to apply as a standard applicant, not international. There are definitely doctors out there who have been educated abroad but established US residency or citizenship one way or another and have been trained in the United States.

- To your first point, White males will be discriminated against if there is a Black female.

- To your second point - someone from Israel who finished his BS degree there and then became an American citizen will find that medical schools are not willing to consider his degree because it is not an American degree. Princeton, Yale, Harvard and others will admit him to their PhD in say Physics program but medical schools will discriminate against him.