02-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Hello, I am a junior now and I'm thinking about graduating a year early (my original plan was a semester early, but the college has recently changed its graduation requirements, making it possible for me to graduate an entire year early). I will have 125 credit hours by the end of my junior year (due to some AP/ community college classes taken in hs). My cGPA is 3.72 for now, and 3.73 for sGPA. Currently doing a Biochem/Spanish double major, but I will probably drop the biochem one if graduating early. My question is how would this affect the admission? Is early graduation a bad thing? Will this be a question brought up in interviews? I am applying this coming cycle, and havn't taken the MCAT yet. What are some possible options for me to fill the senior gap year? The reason for me to do that is mainly financial concerns, which would save me at least $5000 in student loans and cash (I have $13,000 loan on top of me now). My plan is to land a research this summer somewhere and doing ER scribe for a year until pod school starts (if get in). Should I go ahead with my plan or stay for another semester and graduate with two majors?
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!
02-02-2012, 09:11 AM
I think you should definitely graduate early because Podiatry school is 4+3, so why not save time? I think it will look good upon because theyll know your a student who is always on top of their stuff and is smart! You should definitely go ahead and apply this summer and take your mcat possibly by july so youll have your scores in by the way time apps come up (august 1st)...good luck :D
02-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Considering after all expenses, yearly podiatry costs are at least $40,000 a year, I don't think an additional semester will cost much relatively. I would definitely get my degree. If for some reason you decided podiatry was not for you, having at least a bachelor's to fall back on could be very important! Just my 2 cents.
02-03-2012, 04:28 AM
The OP is going to graduate, just a year early.
I'd say do it. Only hesitation would be if pod didn't work out and you really needed/wanted that biochem degree. I'm sure you put a lot into the biochem part and you may regret dropping that, should your educational plans change. If you can matriculate a year earlier than you would have, then definitely do it. Making $$ as a podiatrist one year earlier will equate to more than 40k down the road. If however, you have to have a gap year, it would depend on your particular circumstances. Being a scribe in an ER is not going to do anything for you in the long run and you could do research - which would be great unless you would just be doing it for your application, in which that case it also is not going to be worth the year off. I personally don't think losing the biochem degree is worth those two options.
Or, you could just go travel for a year :D
Applications are open until like June for this application cycle....but, you would have to take the MCAT this spring. Each school has their own deadline, but it seems the majority require it by May/June.
02-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks a lot for the responses! I will be meeting with the registrar to talk about some possible options. But I think I might just stay for another semester to get the two majors finished, and decide what to do next (travel sounds great)