UT Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desflurane30

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So If I could ask for some advice!? I loved my time here. Program seemed to be a great one, or at least who I talked to loved it. The city is great. What are your thoughts on this place? Would love toget some feedback, only because of others not liking it so much due to some "concerns", which I had no idea what they were talking about.

Members don't see this ad.

It is definitely a great place to go if you are interested in staying in private practice in Texas. They have great connections with a lot of private practice groups throughout the state. They do have a great variety of cases, and clinicially, the residents are prepared to handle any case when they graduate...because they have seen almost everything. They do work really hard, and often, they don't really know when they will be going home for the evening.

Were it not for the fact that I'm couples matching and my fiance had absolutely no love from Houston in the slightest, this would be my no. 1. Go forth and rank it highly for me. The residents here seemed so well-adjusted and exceedingly happy. Whoever had concerns over the program might have been referring to the research component of things--I don't think they do a lot of bench research there. But it seems like a place where you will learn a ton, have a core faculty that will love you like their own children, and have an enormous variety of cases.

SIGH.

They don't do much clinical research either. I wouldn't really call it a place to go if you are interested in pursuing a career in academics.

There are some faculty who will love you like family there (they are the ones allowed to interview people), but many of the other faculty are not quite as "loving" towards the residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is definitely a great place to go if you are interested in staying in private practice in Texas. They have great connections with a lot of private practice groups throughout the state. They do have a great variety of cases, and clinicially, the residents are prepared to handle any case when they graduate...because they have seen almost everything. They do work really hard, and often, they don't really know when they will be going home for the evening.

They don't do much clinical research either. I wouldn't really call it a place to go if you are interested in pursuing a career in academics.

There are some faculty who will love you like family there (they are the ones allowed to interview people), but many of the other faculty are not quite as "loving" towards the residents.

brand new poster.

right on cue.

:laugh:

There is a lot of clinical research conducted within the department. This may not be formally offered in the residency program but it is there if you want it.

There is a lot of clinical research conducted within the department. This may not be formally offered in the residency program but it is there if you want it.

briton is correct. they just don't seem to emphasize it much during the interview day.

Hey thanks everyone for your help! Appreciate it, and helps me out a lot

I start there in 6 months - can't wait! I'm currently doing a medicine year and this month is floors - UGH! Every time I write a long ass medicine note, I keep telling myself, only 6 more months of this bullsh*t! I gaze with envy at all the happy anesthesia residents - so happy to hear great things about UTH. I was really impressed with my interview, but you always wonder if it's the ol' bait and switch, so it's nice to hear all this. Looking forward to July!

:D

I start there in 6 months - can't wait! I'm currently doing a medicine year and this month is floors - UGH! Every time I write a long ass medicine note, I keep telling myself, only 6 more months of this bullsh*t! I gaze with envy at all the happy anesthesia residents - so happy to hear great things about UTH. I was really impressed with my interview, but you always wonder if it's the ol' bait and switch, so it's nice to hear all this. Looking forward to July!

:D

Make sure you come back in 6+ months and let us know. It won't be helpful for those of us applying this year, but it will certainly help with the next batch of applicants!

Hey guys! So If I could ask for some advice!? I loved my time here. Program seemed to be a great one, or at least who I talked to loved it. The city is great. What are your thoughts on this place? Would love toget some feedback, only because of others not liking it so much due to some "concerns", which I had no idea what they were talking about.
I trained at UT and graduated recently. It was a non-malignant program that gave back what you put into it. I tried to milk it for all it was worth and feel that I was able to accomplish a lot there. If you go to Texas Heart, Methodist, and MD Anderson Thoracic, in addition to the case load you get at Hermann, I really think you can't get better training. I'm in the west coast now at a great academic center and I feel confident in what I am doing. You work hard at UT Houston. But that shouldn't stop you from going there if you are interested in great training. The didactics were pretty bad for awhile, but measures have been made by the new program director to improve them (including Senior Seminar). I hope that helps. If you end up there, get to know Dr. Red Duke. You'll be glad you did.

I trained at UT and graduated recently. It was a non-malignant program that gave back what you put into it. I tried to milk it for all it was worth and feel that I was able to accomplish a lot there. If you go to Texas Heart, Methodist, and MD Anderson Thoracic, in addition to the case load you get at Hermann, I really think you can't get better training. I'm in the west coast now at a great academic center and I feel confident in what I am doing. You work hard at UT Houston. But that shouldn't stop you from going there if you are interested in great training. The didactics were pretty bad for awhile, but measures have been made by the new program director to improve them (including Senior Seminar). I hope that helps. If you end up there, get to know Dr. Red Duke. You'll be glad you did.

I did three months at Texas Heart during my residency back in the 90s.
It was my most memorable rotation.
I worked with DENTON COOLEY.:eek:... I did a carotid with him...surgery time TWENTY MINUTES.:eek:

Rokkstarr surgeons I worked with who are probably still there are

Mike Duncan

David Ott

If you have any interest in doing cases with ROKKSTARR HEART SURGEONS,

you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't do time at

Texas Heart.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did three months at Texas Heart during my residency back in the 90s.
It was my most memorable rotation.
I worked with DENTON COOLEY.:eek:... I did a carotid with him...surgery time TWENTY MINUTES.:eek:

Rokkstarr surgeons I worked with who are probably still there are

Mike Duncan

David Ott

If you have any interest in doing cases with ROKKSTARR HEART SURGEONS,

you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't do time at

Texas Heart.

Hey Jet,
Duncan and Ott are still there and I've still yet to experience anything like those cases. Those guys are nuts. Pump times of 20 min. INSANE. Like I said, an incredible experience at a a premiere institution.

Does Duncan still rip his fellows a new ***hole on the regular?

Sounds like the city of Houston in general and UT Houston in particular is the place to be! Best wishes with your decision!

did everyone who interviewed here get a piece of snail mail following their interview thanking them for coming? or just applicants they liked? my friend who interviewed there last year (and who matched) got this "letter"...but i didn't and now i feel like turd. anyone?

did everyone who interviewed here get a piece of snail mail following their interview thanking them for coming? or just applicants they liked? my friend who interviewed there last year (and who matched) got this "letter"...but i didn't and now i feel like turd. anyone?

If this happened this year...I didn't get one either. :( aw man and I'm sure this is where I wanna be

How does UT Houston compare w/ Baylor across the street? Any differences given that they both train at the same locations?

How does UT Houston compare w/ Baylor across the street? Any differences given that they both train at the same locations?

Baylor has a much more robust didactic program and better peds training as they are solely at Texas Children's.

UT Houston has much better critical care training. They rotate through the ICUs at MHH, Methodist, and MDA, whereas Baylor only goes to MDA (which is the most cush ICU rotation that I have ever seen). I've also heard that the residents at UT get much more autonomy than the Baylor residents.

UT Houston and Baylor train at some of the same locations like Texas Heart, MD Anderson, Texas Children's Hospital and The Methodist Hospital. However, they each have their own "home" locations that provide the majority of training. For Baylor it's Ben Taub which is the flagship hospital for the Harris County Hospital District. For UTH it's Memorial Hermann which is the largest of the hospitals in the Memorial Hermann system. UTH also goes to LBJ hospital. It's the second largest hospital in the HCHD.

From comparing notes with Baylor residents I've worked with it sounds like they have better hours than UTH. Baylor as an institution is more nationally recognized and probably has more research going on but I don't really know since I'm not there. We have moonlighting and they don't. We get more free books. We're getting a raise this upcoming year. The humidity affects both programs equally.

After interviewing at both I chose UTH.

Baylor has a much more robust didactic program and better peds training as they are solely at Texas Children's.

UT Houston has much better critical care training. They rotate through the ICUs at MHH, Methodist, and MDA, whereas Baylor only goes to MDA (which is the most cush ICU rotation that I have ever seen). I've also heard that the residents at UT get much more autonomy than the Baylor residents.

Actually UTH goes to Texas Children's as well and we rotate through our own pedi hospital at Hermann. The average Baylor resident gets more months at Texas Children's since it's their primary pedi location. If you are at UTH and want to go to Texas Children's more, you can. Also UTH has a pedi fellowship and we were approved to increase the number of spots from one to two.

Baylor goes to ICU rotations at Methodist. In fact, I'm on one right now with a Baylor resident. According to the Baylor resident I'm with they do not rotate through the regional service or the OR at Methodist like UTH residents do however.

Both do OR at Texas Heart. UTH does hearts at Methodist and The Heart and Vascular Institute at Hermann which are the two locations for the UTH CV fellowship. Texas Heart is apart of St. Luke's Hospital and is basically Baylor's CV fellowship.

Both do OR, ICU and acute pain at MD Anderson.

UTH does not go to Ben Taub.

Baylor does not go to Hermann or LBJ.

Hope this clears any confusion for those considering training in the Texas Medical Center. Both places will offer you great OPPORTUNITIES. It will be your decision to maximize them.

Good luck.

Actually UTH goes to Texas Children's as well and we rotate through our own pedi hospital at Hermann. The average Baylor resident gets more months at Texas Children's since it's their primary pedi location. If you are at UTH and want to go to Texas Children's more, you can. Also UTH has a pedi fellowship and we were approved to increase the number of spots from one to two.

Baylor goes to ICU rotations at Methodist. In fact, I'm on one right now with a Baylor resident. According to the Baylor resident I'm with they do not rotate through the regional service or the OR at Methodist like UTH residents do however.

Both do OR at Texas Heart. UTH does hearts at Methodist and The Heart and Vascular Institute at Hermann which are the two locations for the UTH CV fellowship. Texas Heart is apart of St. Luke's Hospital and is basically Baylor's CV fellowship.

Hope this clears any confusion for those considering training in the Texas Medical Center. Both places will offer you great OPPORTUNITIES. It will be your decision to maximize them.

Good luck.

Hmm that's strange. When I interviewed at Baylor I was told that they only go to MDA for critical care

Good luck.

Thanks, lots of good info in your post. I think you're spot on with your closing statement and applies to pretty much every residency in general.

Hmm that's strange. When I interviewed at Baylor I was told that they only go to MDA for critical care

I specifically asked the Baylor resident that I'm rotating with now about their rotations. I was interested in what they were doing at Methodist specifically since the two institutions had a very public divorce that caused Methodist to marry Cornell. Anyway this led to a run down of all our rotations and he said that their acute pain rotation was at MDA where they get to do a ton of thoracic epidurals. I also asked if they go to the OR there and he said yes.

I specifically asked the Baylor resident that I'm rotating with now about their rotations. I was interested in what they were doing at Methodist specifically since the two institutions had a very public divorce that caused Methodist to marry Cornell. Anyway this led to a run down of all our rotations and he said that their acute pain rotation was at MDA where they get to do a ton of thoracic epidurals. I also asked if they go to the OR there and he said yes.

What I meant by my comment is that I was told that they don't go anywhere else but MDA for critical care.

I see. Apparently they come to Methodist as well now. Perhaps it is relatively new.

Were there no critical care rotations available at Ben Taub? Surely there must be some.

I see. Apparently they come to Methodist as well now. Perhaps it is relatively new.

Were there no critical care rotations available at Ben Taub? Surely there must be some.

During their CBY they rotate at BTGH in the ICU. During my interview (only a few weeks ago), I specifically asked the PD about critical care, and he told me only at MDA. But one of the residents said they also go to Methodist, so I'm wondering if maybe starting next year or the one after that they are no longer going to Methodist? Or perhaps the PD misunderstood my question?