UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the call! Interview next Friday! :D

How'd you guys react to the news? Was it kind of awkward? I'd rather them email, but hey, I'll take it!

Caroline: This is Caroline from UNTHSC. I'm just calling to let you know that we're inviting you for an interview.

Me: Awesome!

Caroline: Awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

Just got the call! Interview next Friday! :D

How'd you guys react to the news? Was it kind of awkward? I'd rather them email, but hey, I'll take it!

Caroline: This is Caroline from UNTHSC. I'm just calling to let you know that we're inviting you for an interview.

Me: Awesome!

Caroline: Awesome!

Congrats! Im also gonna be interviewing next friday so im pretty pumped. My call sounded like it went about like yours: were inviting you for an interview......uh awesome! :laugh: But I guess it was nice of them to call, I definetely wasnt expecting it tho

Yea, it was definitely an unexpected call. They called me at like 7PM, and I was about to not answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the call today. I'll be there with you guys in 8 days! :)

PM me if you would like to meet before we meet. Facebook?

Good luck to all!

Hey addo, did you already interview at TCOM? How'd it go?

Last edited:
Hey addo, did you already interview at TCOM? How'd it go?

Yea. It went great. I was really stressed out about the interviews, but i wish I hadnt been. My first interviewer talked about how he got into osteopathic medicine, and he was very enthusiastic. His approach was very conversational. The second interviewer seemed more serious, but the interview was just as pleasant and stress free. Of course, it will all depend on what interviewers you have, but I wouldnt stress out about it. TCOM really exceeded all my expectations.

Awesome! I hope mine won't be too stressful. I always stress myself out before interviews. :scared:

Hey everyone! Had my interview this past Friday, and I thought TCOM was awesome! Their new facilities are great, and the interviews went well. The first interviewer I had was Dr. Yurvati, who has a little bit of an ego but has reason to since he's the head of surgery and chairman of the board of osteopathic surgeons, but I was told ahead of the time that he was a "speed" interviewer meaning he wanted short and sweet answers, but he seemed really enthusiastic and told me a lot about the school leaving plenty of time for questions at the end. Good thing I had plenty of questions! My second interviewer was Dr. Eisenberg, who was my favorite and world-renowned for his work with DNA and the FBI. I was really shocked to find that UNTHSC is the only campus with access to the FBI database besides the FBI itself! His work is also really inspiring, so if you have time, I'd look him up. The interview was super laid back and definitely like a conversation, but a lot of questions like why Ft. Worth and why none of the other TX schools like Southwestern? It was definitely like a blind interview though because I could tell he didn't look at any of my activities ahead of time. Surprisingly, I didn't get any what is osteopathy? or why osteopathy? questions though. The lunch was awesome, and I thoroughly enjoyed the staff and student ambassadors who were friendly, more than willing to help, and I could tell they loved their school. Just wanted to let you all know about my interview experience! Let me know if anyone has any questions about the details or questions.

I'm guessing this school is pretty IN-state heavy, huh? How many OOS students get a chance here?

Sounds like a spectacular place to get your degree! I wish I was a Texan right now...

How long does it typically take after submitting the secondary app for it to be shown as received in the 'to do' list? I just submitted my secondary and I'm neurotic, you all understand I'm sure :D

How long does it typically take after submitting the secondary app for it to be shown as received in the 'to do' list? I just submitted my secondary and I'm neurotic, you all understand I'm sure :D

Are you talking about on the EUID site? I have yet to see anything uploaded on that site, and I have already interviewed there.

Are you talking about on the EUID site? I have yet to see anything uploaded on that site, and I have already interviewed there.

Yeah.. so that's cool I guess. It's like ttu's merlin but less useful!

I interviewed here and LOVED the school.

Everyone was very friendly but I feel like my interviews could have gone better.

First interview is always the toughest and it is a shame because this school is my top choice.

Now the excruciating wait till Nov 15th :cry:

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed here yesterday. The school is legit. Lunch was good. Girls pretty. People nice. Great DO/MPH program. Interviewers were smart and interesting. It would be hard to turn down an offer from this school. Know

Anyone else interviewing on the 17th of this month? I got a call a couple of days ago...

let me know if u wanna know my stats otherwise I wont post um lol...

If there is any people interviewing, maybe we could get together if you're getting in Monday night lol

First interview is always the toughest and it is a shame because this school is my top choice.

So true. I was really nervous during my first interview, despite the fact that the interviewer told me to relax, and he tried to make the experience as stress free as possible. When I was just getting relaxed and talking more freely, he ended the interview....damn- It had been like 40 minutes though, so it most likely was going to end soon anyways.

The second interview was a breeze, hopefully the trend will continue.

Yep, I was nervous for the first interview. Wish it could've gone better, but I ended up asking a lot of questions. Hopefully that'll show my genuine interest in the school.

Second interview was better. I need to slow down when I'm talking though.

Are you guys sending out thank you notes? Email or snail mail? I sent an email to one (he didn't have an address listed on the school's directory)and a card to another. If y'all are sending an email, tell me if you get a reply. Now I'm paranoid about that...:rolleyes:

I sent thank you emails to both of my interviewers, and both responded.

Hey guys, I don’t know if many of you that have had interviews already at TCOM heard anything about this... But I know it plays a big part in my decision to ultimately go to TCOM if accepted, so I figured that you guys should know about it. When I was a graduate student at UNTHSC, there was a lot of talk about doing this, and the med students were very upset. Looks like they are moving ahead with their plan anyway... Note: this is not meant to start an argument! Play nice!!! It's just for your information!

August 19, 2010

Students, Faculty, Staff and Alumni:

The University of North Texas System Board of Regents today voted to approve a proposal to develop a new MD degree program at the UNT Health Science Center at Fort Worth (UNTHSC). The MD program will be housed in an independent fifth school in addition to the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, School of Public Health, and School of Health Professions.

Approval comes upon completion of pre-approval requirements that the Board of Regents directed UNTHSC leadership to accomplish at the Regents’ November 2009 meeting. The requirements were to secure all necessary start-up funding from the community, establish a business plan for the new school, ensure commitments to secure a strong future for all existing programs, and confirm relationships with area hospitals for student rotations and graduate training.

The following summarizes the proposal and what our Board has approved:

The Need: Texas has requested the expansion of medical education training to meet current and projected physician shortages. In response, UNTHSC has already grown its existing medical class at TCOM from 115 in the Class of 2005 to 220 in the Class of 2014. Our challenge is to ensure TCOM continues to be a leader in the education of family and rural practitioners without having entering medical class sizes exceed best practices for a quality education. Our recently constructed facilities are designed to handle larger medical classes and we are committed to expanding in order to provide more doctors of all types.

The Proposal: UNTHSC proposes to add a fifth school to its campus that will offer the MD degree. We propose to enroll not more than 100 MD students in fiscal year 2014 after accreditation and planning are complete. We have committed to build upon and support the continued development and success of the other four existing colleges. Our long-term goal is to strengthen our existing schools while adding programs that benefit the State and provide new educational opportunities for future students.

Cost and Local Donations: Over the past two years, UNTHSC has conducted extensive fiscal and academic planning to determine how our existing infrastructure could support two separately accredited medical programs at one location. With this unique sharing opportunity, the comprehensive business and academic plan estimates the start-up costs for starting the new MD program will total $21.5 million. Our Board of Regents gave us the challenge to raise these funds privately and we

are very proud that we have successfully obtained firm and credible local pledges of financial support of $25 million to cover the initial incremental and all start-up costs. Beginning in five years, the only cost to the State of Texas will be the usual and appropriate costs associated with additional Texas medical students. This innovative private-public proposal is particularly of interest in difficult financial times as it will benefit the state by allowing the local community to provide all start-up costs for the new medical school.

Benefit: UNTHSC wants to enable as many of its graduates as possible to remain in Texas for their medical practice. Fort Worth area hospitals have indicated an enthusiasm for partnering with UNTHSC to bring both MD and DO students and faculty onto their hospital campuses for undergraduate medical education. This will allow hospitals to expand their resource commitments to graduate medical education, which is the area that will help attract and keep the most new doctors in Texas. We have written clinical education partnership agreements (as well as financial pledges) from Texas Health Resources, Tarrant County Hospital District, Baylor Health System, HCA North Texas/Plaza Medical Center, and Cook Children’s Health System.

Next steps: Years ago, language was adopted in the UNTHSC authorizing statute preventing the issuance of an MD degree by the UNT System in Fort Worth. This is the only medical school in Texas with a degree restriction of any kind. We intend to ask the Texas Legislature to remove this restriction and authorize the formation of an MD degree-granting medical school at UNTHSC. We will then work with the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) to earn full accreditation of the new program.

The Fort Worth community views this opportunity as a logical progression building on the UNTHSC’s 40-year history of innovation, growth and success. The community has demonstrated tremendous commitment, which now allows us to bring this proposal forward with no incremental start-up cost to the state.

We believe this is a “win-win” for Texas, for Fort Worth, for UNTHSC, for TCOM, and for our future students and doctors who will serve our state.

Sincerely,

C. Dan Smith
Chairman, UNT System Board of Regents

Lee Jackson
Chancellor, UNT System

Scott B. Ransom, DO, MBA, MPH
President, UNT Health Science Center

Thanks for posting that Noshie. I heard about this a while ago but they never mentioned it at the interview so I figured the issue was dropped. This seriously makes me reconsider attending this school if accepted... too bad I really liked everything about it until now.

Thanks for posting that Noshie. I heard about this a while ago but they never mentioned it at the interview so I figured the issue was dropped. This seriously makes me reconsider attending this school if accepted... too bad I really liked everything about it until now.

I know what you mean... It’s a total money move for them, and I get it, really I do. They want to be recognized and be able to get some good research dollars. Really, this is mostly being pushed by the grad school in my opinion, in several meetings I had with the dean of the grad school we had many arguments over why this was a bad idea. But he just didn’t seem to care.

This is mostly sad for me in many ways. First, I LOVE Fort Worth. I live here already, it’s a great area, and my family is close. Second, I have a lot of school pride for TCOM and UNTHSC as a whole. They built this school from a bowling alley, the students made it what it was back then. They worked so hard to get that land and build an actual school there for themselves that it is so sad to see all of that hard work wasted. Sure, most of you will think "what’s the big deal, the DO and MD students can coexist." It would be great if that would happen actually. But that is not what I foresee happening, and many of the existing students there don’t either. The pitch that UNTHSC throws out is that there are other schools with DOs and MDs on the same campus, however, you have to remember that those schools exist separately in the way they accept students (using AACOMAS and AMCAS). Texas schools use one service, so there will be some competition involved. Also, the way they got the cities support was to ask the hospitals, and the hospitals all said that they want MDs. This will make residency in this area for DOs hard to come by...

They continue to say that this change will not hurt the DO school, and that they put their DO program in the forefront of any changes they make. But, it doesn’t matter what they say, it will change the DO school, and it will hurt it in the long run. I just don’t want to go to TCOM, graduate and then TCOM gets phased out... If that happens, years from now, people will never know where I graduated from, and the DO community in Texas will dwindle... They worked too hard building this school from nothing to let it go to crap... Makes my heart hurt, and truly makes me want to cry. They have good intentions, but greed is ruling their decisions on this one…

I dont really see any strong arguments supporting the fact that the two schools wont work together, much less the assumption that the DO school will go to crap if the MD school comes in.

Relatively speaking, 40 years is not a long time, but I am highly impressed in what they have accomplished since 1970. UNT has gotten this far by doing the right things, and I think people, especially their students, should have more trust in the school, and be confident this is the right move. With the right leadership, goals, and maybe with some cooperation, I see the schools strengthening each other, not otherwise.

But seeing that some prospective DO students are already willing to back out, I think I might be a little optimistic about the situation. In the unlikely case that the education of DOs is actually hindered by the MD school, the class of 2015 will be long gone by then, as the first class of 2018 will only be in their second year. And in the even more remote case that the DO school actually gets phased out, there will still be a medical school name associated with your degree, if thats really a worry.

I am actually even more excited about this school now, and I actually see this as an opportunity. I would love to be around during the making of a medical school, and the strengthening of another one.

To address this issue a little bit more, Dean Peska told us this morning that realistically the first MD class will probably not be starting until 2017. Also, it is planned for a class of 100...right now, there are over 200 people in my DO class. I can't really imagine the TCOM being phased out in favor of the new MD school. I personally feel it will be great growth for the school because of the possibility of more growth/rotation sites for TCOM/the MD school and the UNTHSC in general.

Also, I would be happy to answer any other questions that y'all might have... :)

Hi everyone, It looks like everyone on here has mostly been on a good schedule and on the ball with the application process. I plan to submit my app in by Sept 1st. Does anyone have an opinion if this is considered "late" in the game? How long did it take for your app to process? The official deadline is not until Oct 1st of course, but I feel like my chances are lessened due to the time line... Any input would be great.

Also, I am an OOS applicant since my state does not have a DO school, does anyone know how many are accepted or what the chances of an OOS applicant are? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, It looks like everyone on here has mostly been on a good schedule and on the ball with the application process. I plan to submit my app in by Sept 1st. Does anyone have an opinion if this is considered "late" in the game? How long did it take for your app to process? The official deadline is not until Oct 1st of course, but I feel like my chances are lessened due to the time line... Any input would be great.

Also, I am an OOS applicant since my state does not have a DO school, does anyone know how many are accepted or what the chances of an OOS applicant are? Thanks in advance!

Well, at this point, it takes 4-6 weeks to process your app through TMDSAS after you submit. This means you are cutting it really close. I would say that if you have all of your LORs and transcripts already submitted and received by TMDSAS, you have a chance... But you should fill out your secondaries while your application is being processed, before it is even sent to the schools by TMDSAS.

Personally, I feel there is a good chance your stuff will not be done by the deadline, but the fee is very cheap, overall with secondaries its around $250 if you apply to all of the schools in Texas. So it's worth a chance...

The worst thing that you are saying is that you are an OOS applicant. Texas only accepts 10% OOS applicants to all of its schools (not Baylor, but that’s not through TMDSAS), it takes 90% in state applicants. That means they are very biased towards OOS, and you would have to have excellent stats to be considered. I am not trying to discourage you... Again, it is so cheap that it is worth the chance you are taking. Plus, our tuition is great here, after you become a Texas resident during medical school you will be paying so much less than what you would in OOS tuition.

Good luck! Hurry up and get all of that stuff in and you will probably be ok… Just make sure they have everything at least by the beginning of their processing!

Well, at this point, it takes 4-6 weeks to process your app through TMDSAS after you submit. This means you are cutting it really close. I would say that if you have all of your LORs and transcripts already submitted and received by TMDSAS, you have a chance... But you should fill out your secondaries while your application is being processed, before it is even sent to the schools by TMDSAS.

Personally, I feel there is a good chance your stuff will not be done by the deadline, but the fee is very cheap, overall with secondaries its around $250 if you apply to all of the schools in Texas. So it's worth a chance...

The worst thing that you are saying is that you are an OOS applicant. Texas only accepts 10% OOS applicants to all of its schools (not Baylor, but that’s not through TMDSAS), it takes 90% in state applicants. That means they are very biased towards OOS, and you would have to have excellent stats to be considered. I am not trying to discourage you... Again, it is so cheap that it is worth the chance you are taking. Plus, our tuition is great here, after you become a Texas resident during medical school you will be paying so much less than what you would in OOS tuition.

Good luck! Hurry up and get all of that stuff in and you will probably be ok… Just make sure they have everything at least by the beginning of their processing!

Thank you for your input, my transcripts are already in and one of my letters has been received, another should be coming in this week. My essays are being finalized and hopefully my application will be out this week. My OOS chances are slim, and my stats are not that superb, I do have a well-rounded background and lots of experience. I will try nonetheless. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!! Thanks again!

How did you approach the secondary question regarding an experience that motivated you to pursue a D.O when I really cant think of one right now.. I agree with their philosophy and approach to medicine... I don't know how to approach this question! :scared:

How did you approach the secondary question regarding an experience that motivated you to pursue a D.O when I really cant think of one right now.. I agree with their philosophy and approach to medicine... I don't know how to approach this question! :scared:

I messaged you my essay, hope it helps!!!

Interview invite today! 9/3! Very excited. :D

Hang in there guys!

Could you guys who have had interview invites post when you were complete with TMDSAS and when you received your interview invite so we could get an idea of how long it's taking them to go through applications? Thanks!

tmdsas transmitted 8/02.

Primary received 8/03

Secondary submitted 8/12

Hope that helps!

Hi everyone,

For those of you who already had an interview, where did you stay?
Did you stay with a host student or at a hotel? I was wondering where a good hotel would be to stay around the school.

Too bad they start their interview day so early in the morning :(

Hi everyone,

For those of you who already had an interview, where did you stay?
Did you stay with a host student or at a hotel? I was wondering where a good hotel would be to stay around the school.

Too bad they start their interview day so early in the morning :(

There is no student housing, and if you end up staying in Dallas, you will avoid traffic because it is so early. So its not such a bad idea to have it that early.

There is no student housing, and if you end up staying in Dallas, you will avoid traffic because it is so early. So its not such a bad idea to have it that early.

If you request it, you may be allowed to stay with a student who lives in the area--most of us live pretty close given that we would rather do anything other than spend time in a car given our cramped schedule. ^.^ I would note, however, that if you request to stay with a student your fate depends on the willingness of a student to volunteer (they send us emails).

Got an interview invite from TCOM on Friday! I'm so excited because they are one of my top DO schools. Interview is on Sept 14.

My TMDSAS was sent to schools on 8/13 and secondary was in on 8/17.

Good luck to everyone applying!

How do you check your status? Sorry if this is answered somewhere, but I was unable to find it. Thanks!

How do you check your status? Sorry if this is answered somewhere, but I was unable to find it. Thanks!

I think when you did the secondary you should have set up your own page... This is the site...

https://my.unt.edu/psp/papd01/EMPLOYEE/EMPL/h/?tab=HS_GUEST

You have to sign in, click admissions, then click status. I have to tell you though, in the past times that I have applied, they have kept up this status page very well. However, this time it seems like they are not keeping up with it. It took weeks for them to update that I was complete, and I had to call to get them to change me to complete online. Also, mine still says that all of my stuff has been received, usually by now it would say that they are reviewing my application. I have been complete for more than 6 weeks... When I call they are rather vague about telling applicants that they are already under review or if they have gone under review... So the online status may not help much since maybe they don't want to tell us what are status really is anymore...

Anyone else have this problem with their status?

Just curious, how long were ya'll secondary essays? For someone that answered and took the time to fill out every one of the essay prompts for the TMDSAS primary application, I'm starting to feel too burnt out and out of ideas to even go past 500 words for the secondary prompts -_-

Hey guys, I'd like to ask for some advice. Here's the situation:

I interviewed last month at TCOM. I thought the interview was okay, but the more I think back on it, the more I come up with things I could've said/done better. Anyway, if any of you guys have interviewed at TCOM so far, you know that during the break, you go back to the main building and they'll ask you some minor questions. When they asked me if I had any more letter of recommendations on the way, I said that I didn't.

At that time, I was shadowing a doctor who used to be the past chair of the department of family medicine at TCOM. Well, I recently stopped shadowing because I got a job as a scribe. I thanked him, etc., and he wished me luck on my future endeavors and to let him know if he could help out in any way.

So, here's the question: Should I ask for a LOR even though I told Admissions Outreach that no more were on the way? Or, worst case scenario, I get waitlisted (hopefully not rejected), and then maybe I could ask the doctor I shadowed to send in a good word for me?

What do you guys think? I appreciate the advice.

Theres no harm in getting the letter... Its not like they will really remember that you said you wouldn't have any more letters during your interview. The only advice I have is to get it in before Nov 1st since they will start accepting Nov 15th... Better to get the letter now then wait to be waitlisted... Then it may not make a difference at all since they will have already made a semi decision on you.

Thanks for you advice noshie. Well, the assistant director of admissions actually asks the questions and checks it off a list. Will it look bad on my part if I send one in? They might think I'm indecisive, or worse, a liar...

By the way, does the (assistant) director of admissions have a say in whether a student is accepted?

By the way, does the (assistant) director of admissions have a say in whether a student is accepted?

I think that might depend on whether he/she is part of the admissions committee. I actually dont know, Im really just taking a guess.

I think it would be worse if you had said you had a letter and then didnt get one. But saying that you didn't have a letter and now getting one will not look bad in any way... Things change throughout the year you apply, plus you just said that you recently finished shadowing the doc, this is an update to your file and would be better with a letter.

okay. so i haven't checked my status in forever. and then on tuesday i check and it says "you have been invited to interview" but i hadn't gotten a call or email or anything. so i called and they acted like they almost didn't know who i was. So I am really confused. I think when they typed in my name they might have spelled it wrong. I don't have a traditional spelling of a very traditional name. but still. this is really weird. I am not sure what to do.

TCOM called!!!
I was invited for an interview for Oct 1st!!!!

Be sure to answer blocked numbers.

Good luck to all!!

okay. so i haven't checked my status in forever. and then on tuesday i check and it says "you have been invited to interview" but i hadn't gotten a call or email or anything. so i called and they acted like they almost didn't know who i was. So I am really confused. I think when they typed in my name they might have spelled it wrong. I don't have a traditional spelling of a very traditional name. but still. this is really weird. I am not sure what to do.

PrincessBP, I am in the same boat. I am sitting here on Sunday night and decided to check my status app, cuz like most I am anxious as can be. Lo and behold it says " You have been invited to interview" No call or email or anything yet...but im so DANG excited im shaking!! This school is my number one pick!

I hope they arent kidding/screwed it up somehow haha, but seriously that would suck. Weirdest part of all...I sent my secondary in this past thursday...weird!

When going under the 1000 character limit in the secondary, did you guys base it on 1000 words or ALL characters? My essay is around 300 words but if I base it on all characters its way over 1000.

When going under the 1000 character limit in the secondary, did you guys base it on 1000 words or ALL characters? My essay is around 300 words but if I base it on all characters its way over 1000.

All characters including spaces

Finally received my first interview invite of the season at TCOM for Oct 1st!! Finally!!