The Answers to Your Stupid Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
11) Tell me about x and y specialty.

These are the threads you should visit for specialty info. There is also one for military medicine.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Members don't see this ad.

16) Should I retake the MCAT?
Only you can answer that question. I recommend picking up a copy of the Medical School Admissions Requirements book (MSAR) available here (scroll down to find the current version).

Here you can find valuable information regarding your chances with particular MCAT/GPA combos and also see average acceptance data for various schools. This way depending on which schools you would like to attend you can determine the ideal MCAT/GPA you need and decide whether to retake based on that.

Most people advise against retaking anything higher than a 30, but that really depends on the type of school you would like to attend. If you have dreams of a top 20, a 30 will likely not cut it and you'll need to retake it.

Other users response to this question:

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​
Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Last edited:
11) Tell me about x and y specialty.

There are numerous forums from people in every specialty here on SDN (see the link below). Most of them have FAQ sections that discuss important things like how competitive residencies are, what sort of lifestyle to expect, and what kinds of things to expect on a daily basis in a career of that specialty. These forums are also the place to ask specific questions regarding the specialty.

If you have many specific questions, you might want to consider shadowing a physician of that specialty.

Other user responses to this question:

These are the threads you should visit for specialty info. There is also one for military medicine.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Members don't see this ad :)
Been gone all day. Dropped in to say:

Thanks for the advice everyone! :cool:

QUOTE=rafflecopter;10391097]I've seen way too many threads lately asking dumb, easy to answer questions (most of which that have been answered 1000x before), so I thought I'd create a thread where these questions can be asked and answered without judgment. The rules are simple, as long as someone posts the question here we avoid flaming/sarcasm. Think of this like claiming sanctuary in a church, free from criticism that the question you are about to ask is really, really stupid. Post these questions outside of this thread and there's a 100% chance of getting flamed. Here is a list of asked and answered questions here:

1) Will 1 C/F/bad semester ruin my chances of med school? Answer

2) What is an acceptable MCAT/GPA for applying to med school?

3) What is a letter of intent? Do I email it or mail it? Answer

4) Should I write thank you letters to my interviewers? Answer

5) Its February and I have no interviews yet... what do I do? Answer

6) Which specialty will get me laid the most? Answer

7) Is there time to work out/get drunk/build pirate ships when in med school?

8) Is taking 28 units of all science classes next semester too much?

9) What ECs are med schools looking for? Answer

10) Does the name of your undergrad matter? Answer

11) Tell me about x and y specialty. Answer

12) What is the difference between MD/DO? How will this affect my residency options?

13) I'm still in high school. What can I do to get into Harvard Medical School and be a neurosurgeon?

14) While in the 6th grade, I was sent to detention... how will this affect my chances? Should I include this on my PS (as an example of hardship to triumph story)? How will I explain this to the interviewers? Answer

15) How should I study for the MCAT? Answer

16) Should I retake the MCAT? Answer

17)Why are there so few fat doctors? Answer

18) How hard is it to get loans to pay for medical school? Answer

19) I have dreadlocks and a thug life tattoo on my neck. Will the admissions committee hold it against me? Answer

20) I am currently doing bad in one of my classes. Should I stick it out or drop and take a W? Answer

Etc....

So, fellow SDNers - please help me by refraining from using sarcasm/flaming people who post in this thread since by doing that they are helping clear up the minefield of idiocy that is the pre-allo front page.

Also, anyone who has answers to these questions please post them and I will include them in the links up above.[/QUOTE]

21. What field has the hottest doctors for ladies? For men? :smuggrin::smuggrin:

;);):cool:

2) What is an acceptable MCAT/GPA for applying to med school?

MSAR lists data on accepted applicants. 2008 applicants had a mean score of 33 and 3.8. Note that accepted applicant stats tend to be inflated since usually people with great stats get multiple acceptances.

The MSAR is a great resource to see your chances with different GPA/MCAT combos. To get near an 80% chance of acceptance you need to have around a 3.6 GPA and a 30-32 MCAT. There are certainly MANY extenuating circumstances that can alter this number, such as the schools to which you apply, your ECs, letters of recommendation, and interviewing skills. So take this with a grain of salt.

For more personalized ideas of your chances, please check out the What Are My Chances Forum, where you can give detailed info about your application and knowledgeable people can give you an idea of where you should apply/what your strengths/weaknesses are.

I have a legit, i hope no internal judging necessary question:
What is considered having leadership and how heavily is it weighed? Here's the thing, I'm the president of a club on campus, thinking of resigning because everything else is taking a pitfall. I talked to the advisor and he supports me, we talked about it, and he's still willing to write me an LOR because I do research with him. Do I have to mention that I was president for a bit? Second, besides that, I don't really have leadrship. Personally, I have my own project where I recycle cans/bottles and for every $5 earned, I buy one or two homeless people a meal or go to the store and buy them supplies to live (hygiene, water, snacks, etc). This is to help them, the environment, and help without putting money from my pocket. SO, i lead the activity, get recycleables from people. it's leadership, right? Thanks raf!

I have a legit, i hope no internal judging necessary question:
What is considered having leadership and how heavily is it weighed? Here's the thing, I'm the president of a club on campus, thinking of resigning because everything else is taking a pitfall. I talked to the advisor and he supports me, we talked about it, and he's still willing to write me an LOR because I do research with him. Do I have to mention that I was president for a bit? Second, besides that, I don't really have leadrship. Personally, I have my own project where I recycle cans/bottles and for every $5 earned, I buy one or two homeless people a meal or go to the store and buy them supplies to live (hygiene, water, snacks, etc). This is to help them, the environment, and help without putting money from my pocket. SO, i lead the activity, get recycleables from people. it's leadership, right? Thanks raf!

Are you asking whether you should tell your LOR writer that you were president of the club or whether to indicate being the president on your AMCAS application? Definitely tell med schools you were president, it shows you took a more active role in the club and is a worthy leadership experience. As far as telling your advisor, only mention it if you think it helps him get a more complete view of you as a student so the LOR can be more personalized.

Your homeless project is very intriguing and I think admissions committees will find it intriguing as well. However, I think it might be better indicated on your application as volunteering. You can go into detail about how you started the project etc. The reason I wouldn't classify it as leadership is that there are no people working with you (at least it doesn't seem like it). Either list it as I described above, or attempt to get others to assist you with the project and then you can list it as leadership.

Are you asking whether you should tell your LOR writer that you were president of the club or whether to indicate being the president on your AMCAS application? Definitely tell med schools you were president, it shows you took a more active role in the club and is a worthy leadership experience. As far as telling your advisor, only mention it if you think it helps him get a more complete view of you as a student so the LOR can be more personalized.

Your homeless project is very intriguing and I think admissions committees will find it intriguing as well. However, I think it might be better indicated on your application as volunteering. You can go into detail about how you started the project etc. The reason I wouldn't classify it as leadership is that there are no people working with you (at least it doesn't seem like it). Either list it as I described above, or attempt to get others to assist you with the project and then you can list it as leadership.
Ah okay understandable. I guess all the leadership I hold is president for one quarter! And yup, I am the only one working one it. It's my baby. I'm selfish :) haha But thank you! I had fun reading through all the posts!

A letter of intent is written to a school after you have applied that states that you plan on attending that school above all others. This means that you are saying if you are accepted there, you will withdrawal all your other applications and attend that one school. It is sometimes helpful in admissions committee decisions, because they would rather give out acceptances to people they know would go there. It however is not going to sway there decision much one way or the other. I would send it via snail mail, since taking the time to actually mail something is somewhat indicative of how much you care about the school (which is the purpose of the intent letter to begin with).

They use extracurricular activities as a means of a) determining the applicants commitment to medicine/helping the community and b) finding out who the applicant is.

Determing the applicants commitment to medicine and to the community
The ecs that help the admissions committee answer this question are your "typical" pre-med ECs. They use clinical volunteering (like hospital volunteering), shadowing, and non-clinical volunteering to see this. I would make sure to have all 3. Shadow physicians in a few specialties that interest you. Volunteer at a community service program that interests you as well. Pick something interesting, that you are passionate about because this WILL show through in your secondaries and interview and make you a more attractive applicant.

Finding out who the applicant is
This is done by listing ecs that make you stand out. Do you play the flute? Are you an avid runner? Have you traveled a ton? Do you paint? Do you build pirate ships? Think about what hobbies you do that make you interesting and try to emphasize this in your application.

9a) I work 2 jobs and volunteer off campus a lot because I'm a commuter. I'm part of the pre-health society at my school and help out with campus ministry once in a while. My advisor says my lack of on-campus involvement is a gaping hole on my application. Is she right? Do I really need to be more involved on campus?

im starting to go nuts over all the threads lately asking "what will my gpa be after this or that?" its ridiculous. come on people, use a gpa calculator if you can't figure it out by hand.

http://www.back2college.com/gpa.htm

Members don't see this ad :)

12) What is the difference between MD/DO? How will this affect my residency options?

21)
What field has the hottest doctors for ladies? For men?

Does anyone have any insight into these questions? I can't elaborate on most of these...

Ok, I'll take a stab at #8.

Short answer: probably yes.

The intensity of the specific class will vary from school to school, but many of your science classes will be quite demanding. 28 units of any classes is almost double what a full-time student normally takes, at least at my undergrad. If you are some freak-of-nature-genius-study-powerhouse (and mad props if you are) and you think you really can handle such a demanding courseload, then give it a shot. But I think that for the vast majority of people, 28 units of science classes is just too much. You gotta make room for all those other important parts of life: ecs, friends, time for yourself, sleep, sanity, etc.

13) I'm still in high school. What can I do to get into Harvard Medical School and be a neurosurgeon?

21) [/B]What field has the hottest doctors for ladies? For men?
7: Yes, but you have to have good time management skills and make time for such things. These may come at the expense of being AOA.

8: Take as much science as you can handle socially, mentally, physically, etc. Only experience will tell how much you can handle. If you're a freshman, consider titrating your load from 2 science courses up as needed.

12: There is no practical difference in terms of training. DO's may apply to DO-only residency slots. Some suggest that DO's will have a harder time at gaining MD-residency slots, although plenty do.

13: Be excellent, interesting, and a little lucky.

21: Derm for Ladies, Surg for Men.

25) Should I pre-study the summer before matriculating in to medical school?

No. The general consensus from medical students is that any studying before medical school is both completely useless and a total waste of time. Enjoy your summer, travel, go on a medical mission, or take on an interesting research project instead.

Agreed this is general consensus.

Some people would agree that you can benefit from some little things, like medical terminology. For those of us that have a full 12 months off before medical school, spending minimal hours learning medical language is beneficial IMO. I'm all for rest, recharge, vacation, party, etc. But I also don't need 12 months to do that.:thumbup:

For the thousandth time, don't pre-study. It's totally worthless, and you'll feel like a real jackass several months into medical school, when you'd kill a loved one for a break from the stress. A break that doesn't come for many more months.

The best thing to do to prepare for medical school is to get your personal life in order.

Have any bad habits? Start breaking them now.

Don't exercise? Start figuring out a good exercise program and begin doing it.

Eat like crap? Learn to make easy and healthy meals.

Have any mental issues? Work on 'em.

But don't friggin' pre-study. Horrible use of what little freedom you have left. Horrible.

:thumbup::thumbup: Totally Agree. I'll add to the chorus of everyone advising to refrain from studying during the summer before starting. Trust me. There is no wading easily into med school, no way to get a productive head start. Once things begin, it feels like jumping in a pool and trying to tread water with hundred pound weights tied to you. Dipping your toes into the water first will not prepare you for that.

Didn't get that impression...

But that's fine- there's a reason the majority would advise against it. Many believe the opportunity cost of spending time to get a head start is greater than any marginal benefit. I disagree.

If anyone wants to take the initiative they should go for it. Don't cancel that roadtrip with the hot twins you met last week or postpone your cruise to the Caribbean (never pass up Senor Frog's...), but if you have some down time it won't hurt; there's only so much "honest self-reflection" you can take.

It's more for a psychological boost than any significant gain in knowledge. You'll feel more familiar with the material going in than most of your classmates, and there's even a chance you'll feel less overwhelmed than some.

If you want to hit the ground running, here's what I think could work. Take it for what it's worth
---

Asklepian- you say you enjoy anatomy. cool. probably won't last but once you start it won't really matter. For anatomy-

Get Netter's and/or Rohen, you'll be using them later anyways. Look up your class syllabus and figure out the areas they go over first. Don't make a fixed schedule, but whenever you feel like it pick up the book and learn 10 new structures.

If you have an iphone, download anatomy flashcard apps. And if you happen to jailbrake your phone (which of course you shouldn't) you can get Netter's and Moore's flashcards through installous. Clemente's and Rohen are also fine, but they're not cracked.

Before logging on to SDN and spending 20 minutes reading through the various arguments for/against studying, take 30 seconds and go through 4 or 5 flashcards. Right there you should get through the whole deck in a week if you're anything like the average SDN user.

Find some good anatomy websites and get familiar with their layout. bookmark them for later.

Take a practice usmle step 1 test and see how you score as a pretest, so you know what you'll need to improve on for the next two years. that one's a joke

Most importantly don't take any of this too seriously, and have a good time before it's too late

Last edited:

The primary difference between an MD and a DO is that DO's are required to learn Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM). The other very real differences are that DO's tend to place more graduates in Primary Care, and MD's usually attend universities with greater research opportunities. Both are doctors when they graduate. There is no specialty that you can not do with either degree, but the programs you train in can vary. Please see the residency match statistics below.

Here is a great description of the MD/DO label importance once you finish residency:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=133066

In terms of residency placement, MD's can do ACGME residencies and DO's can do ACGME residencies or AOA residencies (they also have combined programs, and military options for both). There are a few nuances that distinguish the two residencies, but by in large you will be trained to be a competent doctor in either program.

If you want stats on both types of programs, you can look here:

ACGME Match (both MD and DO):

http://www.nrmp.org/data/index.html

AOA Match (Just DO [click the years at the bottom of the page]):

http://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/matres.htm

No. The general consensus from medical students is that any studying before medical school is both completely useless and a total waste of time. Enjoy your summer, travel, go on a medical mission, or take on an interesting research project instead.

Agreed this is general consensus.

Some people would agree that you can benefit from some little things, like medical terminology. For those of us that have a full 12 months off before medical school, spending minimal hours learning medical language is beneficial IMO. I'm all for rest, recharge, vacation, party, etc. But I also don't need 12 months to do that.:thumbup:

Here's a question ...
Having multiple acceptances to different med schools what factors should one weigh? How can a person tell a good school from a not as good school?

A good little discussion from a thread about pre-study:

For the thousandth time, don't pre-study. It's totally worthless, and you'll feel like a real jackass several months into medical school, when you'd kill a loved one for a break from the stress. A break that doesn't come for many more months.

The best thing to do to prepare for medical school is to get your personal life in order.

Have any bad habits? Start breaking them now.

Don't exercise? Start figuring out a good exercise program and begin doing it.

Eat like crap? Learn to make easy and healthy meals.

Have any mental issues? Work on 'em.

But don't friggin' pre-study. Horrible use of what little freedom you have left. Horrible.

:thumbup::thumbup: Totally Agree. I'll add to the chorus of everyone advising to refrain from studying during the summer before starting. Trust me. There is no wading easily into med school, no way to get a productive head start. Once things begin, it feels like jumping in a pool and trying to tread water with hundred pound weights tied to you. Dipping your toes into the water first will not prepare you for that.

But that's fine- there's a reason the majority would advise against it. Many believe the opportunity cost of spending time to get a head start is greater than any marginal benefit. I disagree.

If anyone wants to take the initiative they should go for it. Don't cancel that roadtrip with the hot twins you met last week or postpone your cruise to the Caribbean (never pass up Senor Frog's...), but if you have some down time it won't hurt; there's only so much "honest self-reflection" you can take.

It's more for a psychological boost than any significant gain in knowledge. You'll feel more familiar with the material going in than most of your classmates, and there's even a chance you'll feel less overwhelmed than some.

If you want to hit the ground running, here's what I think could work. Take it for what it's worth
---

Asklepian- you say you enjoy anatomy. cool. probably won't last but once you start it won't really matter. For anatomy-

Get Netter's and/or Rohen, you'll be using them later anyways. Look up your class syllabus and figure out the areas they go over first. Don't make a fixed schedule, but whenever you feel like it pick up the book and learn 10 new structures.

If you have an iphone, download anatomy flashcard apps. And if you happen to jailbrake your phone (which of course you shouldn't) you can get Netter's and Moore's flashcards through installous. Clemente's and Rohen are also fine, but they're not cracked.

Before logging on to SDN and spending 20 minutes reading through the various arguments for/against studying, take 30 seconds and go through 4 or 5 flashcards. Right there you should get through the whole deck in a week if you're anything like the average SDN user.

Find some good anatomy websites and get familiar with their layout. bookmark them for later.

Take a practice usmle step 1 test and see how you score as a pretest, so you know what you'll need to improve on for the next two years. that one's a joke

Most importantly don't take any of this too seriously, and have a good time before it's too late

Here are some excellent responses to this question:

I still don't think the differences have been made clear enough for the average noob. We need to start from ground zero with most of these chach monkeys.

MD stands for "medical doctor." Schools that grant MD degrees are called "allopathic" medical schools, whereas schools that grant the DO are called "osteopathic" medical schools.

Long story short, the osteopathic movement was started by a guy named A.T. Still who was an MD but felt that a lot of patient illness was due to structural problems with their bodies (i.e. a problem like your spine being out of alignment will affect other systems in your body, most notably your nervous system and circulatory system. Your nervous and circulatory systems are the ones that run all of the rest of your body. Disrupting innervation or blood flow to organs = bad). So he broke off and founded the osteopathic movement, stating that patients should be treated with more than just medication and surgery.

Consequently, DO and MD schools have the exact same basic science curricula, and do the exact same clinical rotations. The only difference in schooling is that DO's are taught "osteopathic manipulative treatment," or OMT, which involves adjusting patient's bodies (they do chiropractic adjustments plus a lot of other, more sophisticated hands-on treatment). MD's are not taught this material. OMT is most useful in primary care settings, and most DO schools have as part of their mission to produce primary care doctors who will work in under-served areas. Many DO's go on to specialize, so getting a DO degree does not mean you have to do primary care. There are plenty of DO surgeons, neonatologists, etc.

DO's can take the allopathic board exam, which allows them to secure allopathic residency training. MD's cannot sit for the DO boards, because they have not had the extra training in OMT. After boards and residency, both are attending physicians. The only differences are the letters on your degree, and whether or not you know OMT. There is no difference in pay between and MD and a DO in the same specialty, with the same seniority in the same hospital.

There are three last "considerations." All DO schools are private, and thus tend to have higher tuition. Some MD schools cost just as much, but some are considerably less expensive. DO schools are made out to be less competitive, and statistically they do accept applicants with lower average GPAs and MCAT scores.

Last is the notion of prestige. Some people feel that the DO is a lesser degree, and that DO's are somehow inferior to MD's. This stigma is fading very fast, and seems to be the most prevalent among premeds and med school rejects. A few MD students have told me that they wish they had given DO schools more consideration, especially after they learned about OMT. If you are smart and driven, becoming a DO will not hold you back in any way from becoming the doctor that you want to be.

12: There is no practical difference in terms of training. DO's may apply to DO-only residency slots. Some suggest that DO's will have a harder time at gaining MD-residency slots, although plenty do.

The primary difference between an MD and a DO is that DO's are required to learn Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM). The other very real differences are that DO's tend to place more graduates in Primary Care, and MD's usually attend universities with greater research opportunities. Both are doctors when they graduate. There is no specialty that you can not do with either degree, but the programs you train in can vary. Please see the residency match statistics below.

Here is a great description of the MD/DO label importance once you finish residency:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=133066

In terms of residency placement, MD's can do ACGME residencies and DO's can do ACGME residencies or AOA residencies (they also have combined programs, and military options for both). There are a few nuances that distinguish the two residencies, but by in large you will be trained to be a competent doctor in either program.

If you want stats on both types of programs, you can look here:

ACGME Match (both MD and DO):

http://www.nrmp.org/data/index.html

AOA Match (Just DO [click the years at the bottom of the page]):

http://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/matres.htm

Last edited:

Take as many units as you can handle. Remember it wont be worth it to over extend your reach and risk getting bad grades in any of your classes. Its all well and good to speed up the process of undergrad by taking a bunch of units but if it gets you a ton of Bs its certainly not worth it.

Other user answers to that question:

Ok, I'll take a stab at #8.

Short answer: probably yes.

The intensity of the specific class will vary from school to school, but many of your science classes will be quite demanding. 28 units of any classes is almost double what a full-time student normally takes, at least at my undergrad. If you are some freak-of-nature-genius-study-powerhouse (and mad props if you are) and you think you really can handle such a demanding courseload, then give it a shot. But I think that for the vast majority of people, 28 units of science classes is just too much. You gotta make room for all those other important parts of life: ecs, friends, time for yourself, sleep, sanity, etc.

8: Take as much science as you can handle socially, mentally, physically, etc. Only experience will tell how much you can handle. If you're a freshman, consider titrating your load from 2 science courses up as needed.

Thread's losing heat Raf... so here goes:

Do surgeon couples have a more freaky/intense love life than average couples?

27) What's wrong with going to a Caribbean Medical School?

In general, Caribbean medical schools are less selective than US medical schools and will confer a MD degree that can be used in the US, making it an attractive option for applicants with lower stats. Know that typically these schools fail out a bunch of people and its generally much harder to gain a US residency, making Caribbean medical schools more of a "hail mary" option for most medical school applicants, rather than a first choice.

If you are considering a medical school in the Caribbean, make sure the school is ACGME accredited so that you can get a legitimate MD degree and stand a chance of obtaining a US residency.

Other user responses:

I go to an enormous undergrad with thousands of premeds. Everyday we are slammed with ads, solicitations, tabling, emails, etc. for a slew of pre-med related ECs. The only actual Medical Schools that solicit us are Caribbean ones. They send us free stuff, pay our school to come talk to us, and send us posters that are plastered about everywhere advertising their MD programs. Even if I didn't have a single clue as to the intracacies of getting a residency, what an IMG is, nonprofit vs profit model, american vs caribbean requirements, etc.; it is basic instinct when you see stuff like that. My dad taught me that when you are good you don't have to advertise. Never have I seen such from an Amercan medical school. Hell, we have to pay their reps to come talk to us a lot of the time. So yes..... this plus what everyone else here has to say.

Last edited:

The general consensus is that there is certainly enough time to have some extra activities in your life during medical school and still achieve good grades. Extremely time consuming hobbies, or working more than a few hours a week, seem to not be good ideas, however.

Third year and fourth year are tougher. You will have less free time and you'll be in control of it less. Certain rotations, like FM or psych, might leave time for extracurriculars but forget about it during surgery and IM.

You have time. Plenty of time in fact...assuming you want to. Again, I make the point that graduate school (regardless of it's identity) is more of what you make of it. Most medical schools recommend balance between personal lifestyle and school, so it's highly encouraged at US med schools to stay in shape and do other things that make you happy.

I did long runs (4-8 miles) 3-4 times a week my first semester in med school. And, I'm just starting a somewhat intense work-out regime P90x, which so far (3 days in...) has been pretty fun. I actually started this during finals week if that gives you any indication of the "grad school is what you make of it" thing.

Med school is a lot of work...but to be honest, once you develop the right study habits, the volume of the material becomes much easier to manage than it was the first few weeks you were here. You just get in the swing of things and it starts to come a little more natural. You do the work, learn it, and make sure you're not forgetting about all the other things that interest you in medicine and outside of medicine.

Also, while I think it is highly dependent upon where you go to medical school...I tend to feel as though my study time hasn't been ridiculous yet. I put in maybe an hour a day most weeks (outside of attending classes and paying attention). That leaves plenty of time during the day or evening for exercise time (which is a great break from other work), drinking, going out for dinner, whatever you want. For you, maybe this isn't enough time. But for me, it works and I've been passing all my classes thus far without too much trouble.

As for how that changes in your MS3 year once you start clinical rotations and your schedule gets taken over (particularly required clerkships like Medicine and Surgery).....that I cannot attest to. For now, the first two years seem pretty manageable.

P.S. Choosing medical schools with P/F grading the first two years is incredibly beneficial in maintaing this lifestyle.

As most will agree, it is definitely possible. I've stayed active (half marathon this semester, workouts at least 3 or 4 times a week, soccer twice a week) and I've felt great about doing it. In my opinion, it boosts your ability to study and concentrate and feel good about it. I've talked to a few different doctors about it since I've been here, and it seems almost all of them (at least non-surgery, who knows if they have time) maintain some semblance of an active lifestyle. In my opinion, its the most important thing you can do with your free time.

The first 2 years, I worked out 3 times a week for about an hour and a half each time. It was no problem at all, even during first year when I was actually going to class. This year, my surgery and OB rotations got in the way of my workout pretty substantially, but now that I'm on psych, I'm back at it. However, I've started going for about an hour each day instead of 3 times a week. The point is that you can absolutely have a normal, productive workout regimen going during med school. There will be times when you'll have to forgo a couple sessions, but for the most part, you'll be fine.

Next question:

Rafflecopter, how did you find a picture of my car for your avatar?

Next question:

Rafflecopter, how did you find a picture of my car for your avatar?

:laugh:. I actually know nothing about cars so that could be a porsche for all I know.

For any of the regular SDN'ers... do you know of any more frequent questions that get asked that I can get answered? Or do you have anything to add to the responses I gave to the questions? Differing opinions? Hows the list looking so far?

28) What should I do during my gap year?

Can the answer please include the advice that using the words "gap year" make you sound like a total douchecanoe?

I have a question about math pre-reqs for medical school... Is an A in Calculus III enough to suffice? I have AP credit for Calc I, Calc II, and Statistics.

Can the answer please include the advice that using the words "gap year" make you sound like a total douchecanoe?

lol douchecanoe. I'm gonna save that one for later use :laugh:

Anyway here's my answer:

28) During your year(s) off between undergrad and medical school, do whatever you want. If your application is lacking in some area (i.e. little clinical experience, no research, etc), then it would be a good time to pursue one of those activities. If you feel that there aren't any big holes in your app, then you can work whatever kind of job suits your fancy, medical-related or not; you can divvy up your time between volunteering/shadowing/cooking/jamming on the guitar/writing a novel; you can go to Africa and build houses for orphans.

I have a question about math pre-reqs for medical school... Is an A in Calculus III enough to suffice? I have AP credit for Calc I, Calc II, and Statistics.

Some schools don't even need any math, but they "recommend" some calculus and statistics. Some require 3-6 credits of math.

Plus, each school has their own policy on AP credits, so you have to call and ask them. But what you have done so far should suffice for most schools...

4) Should I write thank you letters to my interviewers? Answer
Honestly, I always thought it was nice when I got thank you notes. It did NOT ever affect the outcome, because I often didn't check my mailbox until weeks or months after I submitted my interview report (which happened immediately after the interview concluded).

10) Does the name of your undergrad matter? Answer
Yes, but to very widely varying degrees. If your goal is to be the youngest chairman of radiation oncology at a prestigious academic institution, then yes, I would say it does. If you want to do primary care in a community setting, I would say it does not. Just remember that top-ranked RESEARCH institutions are generally looking to make people into top-notch ACADEMIC physicians. There's nothing wrong with this, but if your goal isn't to go into academia, then it's not likely to be in your best interest to spend an extra six figures on tuition.

17)Why are there so few fat doctors? Answer
Multiple reasons. Obesity rates decrease across the board with increasing levels of education and wealth. Furthermore, you know very well what your weight is doing to your health. And you work a lot.

18) How hard is it to get loans to pay for medical school? Answer
Not.

19) I have dreadlocks and a thug life tattoo on my neck. Will the admissions committee hold it against me? Answer
Yes, as would I. There are a few people who can look clean and professional with dreads, but it's a fine line, especially with a committee that's on the conservative side. I basically see no excuse for any tattoo on your neck, unless you've made a huge change in your life since you got it.

25) Should I pre-study the summer before matriculating in to medical school? Answer
Absolutely not.

Here's a question ...
Having multiple acceptances to different med schools what factors should one weigh? How can a person tell a good school from a not as good school?

There's a really good (old) thread out there saying that the pre-clinical year curric is completely unimportant & the "vibe" you get while visiting is unimportant. The key thing is the clinical experience (scut work? etc)...does anyone have a link to this handy?

should i go to the hospital if my foot starts turning blue? i have diabetes btw.

Another stupid question... so looking at that, would it be safe to say that I'm set in the math department (only UC Davis and UCLA don't accept AP credit according to the link, which I have now bookmarked)?

Other schools may have just not specified, and it would be wise to further look into the policies on AP credits on the websites for the various schools where you are considering applying.

23) How do I figure out my GPA? Answer

Someone posted this spreadsheet in a different thread, but it's pretty awesome so I feel like sharing.

Attachments

• AMCAS GPA_Calculator Version 4 Final.xls
    140 KB · Views: 94

1) Will 1 C/F/bad semester ruin my chances of med school? Answer

23) How do I figure out my GPA? Answer

Combining the two,
How is replacing an F grade factored into my GPA?
If you repeat any class you need to average the two grades. So if you get an F (0.0) and replace it with an A (4.0), for GPA purposes it is as if you took the class once and got a C (2.0).

Do I need to take all my prerequisites before applying? Can I take my prerequisites in my final fall/spring/summer?
Many schools prefer that you complete all prerequisites prior to application, not matriculation. However with an overall strong application it is okay to apply without having completed one or two prerequisites. Some schools require all courses completed prior to application and some schools require completion of all courses by December/January of the application year but these make up only the minority of schools.

It is in every applicant's best interest to take prerequisites prior to applying since an applicant who does not take all the prereqs will be at a disadvantage when he/she takes the MCAT.

I applied previously and did not get accepted to any school. Am I at a major disadvantage?
Though you might be at a slight disadvantage, as long as you have corrected your major weaknesses, you won't be at a major disadvantage. Make sure the new app has some new activities, at least one new LOR, and a revised personal statement. Also make sure to rewrite all secondaries. Also, you should apply to more schools this time around.

I've never done any research. Can I still get into medical school?
I only have 1 year of research. Can I still get into a top {25,20,10} school?
Yes to both. Most practicing physicians do not conduct any research. However if you are lacking in research experience, your remaining activities/interests need to be stronger. This is especially true for top schools, who are more likely to expect strong research experience from their applicants.

MSAR lists data on accepted applicants. 2008 applicants had a mean score of 33 and 3.8. Note that accepted applicant stats tend to be inflated since usually people with great stats get multiple acceptances.

The MSAR is a great resource to see your chances with different GPA/MCAT combos. To get near an 80% chance of acceptance you need to have around a 3.6 GPA and a 30-32 MCAT. There are certainly MANY extenuating circumstances that can alter this number, such as the schools to which you apply, your ECs, letters of recommendation, and interviewing skills. So take this with a grain of salt.

For more personalized ideas of your chances, please check out the What Are My Chances Forum, where you can give detailed info about your application and knowledgeable people can give you an idea of where you should apply/what your strengths/weaknesses are.

Where are you getting these numbers? I've never seen any statistics that say the average applicant has a 33/3.8. I've always seen averages of 31/3.6. Correct me if I'm wrong, but those numbers just don't seem right.

Where are you getting these numbers? I've never seen any statistics that say the average applicant has a 33/3.8. I've always seen averages of 31/3.6. Correct me if I'm wrong, but those numbers just don't seem right.

I think those are averages for the average accepted student, which differs from the average matriculant (as higher scoring individuals tend to have more acceptances), which differ from the average applicant.

can someone dig up the shoe/sock thread? i believe it is pretty pertinent information for MD hopefuls.

I think those are averages for the average accepted student, which differs from the average matriculant (as higher scoring individuals tend to have more acceptances), which differ from the average applicant.

Yes. The average for accepted applicants was a 33/3.8 in 2008, but the average matriculating student had lower stats. Not a bunch of weight can be put in the average for accepted applicants since a few "top students" get accepted to a ton of schools and skew the numbers upward. If I remember correctly the average score of matriculated students was something like 31 or 32 and 3.6.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKFjWR7X5dU[/YOUTUBE]

Also of relevance: "douchecanoe" is now in my vocabulary and will be used often in the upcoming weeks