Do all PhD. programs require the GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leukocyte

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Family Medicine physician who wants to change his career path. I am interested in Pathology. I have applied to do a second residency in Pathology. If I do not get accepted into a pathology residency, My "Plan B' is to get a PhD. in Pathology or a related biological science (microbiology, immumology.......) and work in acedemia/teaching/research.

In this effect, I am searching for PhD. programs. All seem to require the GRE. Do all biological science PhD. programs require the GRE? If I have to take the GRE, would it be too late to apply to programs that start next summer/fall?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Family Medicine physician who wants to change his career path. I am interested in Pathology. I have applied to do a second residency in Pathology. If I do not get accepted into a pathology residency, My "Plan B' is to get a PhD. in Pathology or a related biological science (microbiology, immumology.......) and work in acedemia/teaching/research.

In this effect, I am searching for PhD. programs. All seem to require the GRE. Do all biological science PhD. programs require the GRE? If I have to take the GRE, would it be too late to apply to programs that start next summer/fall?

Thanks

GRE is required for every graduate school (let alone Biological Sciences). GRE Subject Test is recommended. As far as starting, not all programs allow you to start right away, so you need to figure that on your own.

It seems very vague on why you are doing this. PhD schools may be "easier" in terms of the level of workload, but the amount is intense (i.e. lab work is not for weak hearts when your life depends on it). Why not get like Master's in Clinical Science and then try to change career that way? Getting PhD means 6 years of your life, and getting faculty position will take a while (shorter than norm for you since you have MD --- now if you are looking for tenured position, that's another story).

First off, you need to have a seat available to take the test. You might be in a rural place to have some seats open for the GRE. You'd have to sign up for Monday for your score to be in 10-15 days later.

Many of the biomedical programs' deadlines have been around Dec. 1, Dec. 15, or Jan 1. You have to get the official score report 10-15 days later, then about a 2-week wait for the score to reach your school. So basically a month. That's why the suggested time to take the GRE is no later than Oct.

What is age in academia ha...it's a long road for either one, what's another few years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it wise to apply for PhD program before 1.5 to 2 months ? ..is it decent or its really late ?

the program in which I am applying is having deadline 15th jan/ 1st feb ..if I apply by dec 10 with supplemental application.. is it ok

I m getting late becoz of some recommendation letter issues .

plz reply I m stuck n confused :confused:

If you are interested in a research career, you should know that you have already completed a terminal research degree--the MD. You should be looking at completing post-doctoral fellowship work, especially in a program that supports you to continue practicing clinically.

Go to: https://nf.aafp.org/FellowshipDirectory/Search/SearchFellowship and click on a "research" fellowship type for ideas. Even during training these programs will pay you on the order of double what a PhD program will pay you. The training is much more targeted towards launching a research/academic career without wasting too much time.

Remember, the PhD job market is TERRIBLE. You do not want to give up your clinical medical abilities. If you do this, you are in the same place as the PhDs. Your MD does not mean anything without board certification/eligibility. But, being a practicing or eligible to practice physician you are much more valuable, including on the research side.

If you are interested in a research career, you should know that you have already completed a terminal research degree--the MD. You should be looking at completing post-doctoral fellowship work, especially in a program that supports you to continue practicing clinically.

Go to: https://nf.aafp.org/FellowshipDirectory/Search/SearchFellowship and click on a "research" fellowship type for ideas. Even during training these programs will pay you on the order of double what a PhD program will pay you. The training is much more targeted towards launching a research/academic career without wasting too much time.

Remember, the PhD job market is TERRIBLE. You do not want to give up your clinical medical abilities. If you do this, you are in the same place as the PhDs. Your MD does not mean anything without board certification/eligibility. But, being a practicing or eligible to practice physician you are much more valuable, including on the research side.

Neuronix is right, find a post-doc position in your area of interest. The market is terrible for PhD's right now.

Can you elaborate more on how the PhD job market is terrible ? Theoretically, between a top PhD program in a biomedical science and a low-tier MSTP school, which should one choose to attend if one gets accepted into both, in consideration of both factors job market after graduation and research training quality ?

Can you elaborate more on how the PhD job market is terrible ? Theoretically, between a top PhD program in a biomedical science and a low-tier MSTP school, which should one choose to attend if one gets accepted into both, in consideration of both factors job market after graduation and research training quality ?

Nature had an issue last year dedicated to discussing the state of the science PhD.

From a job standpoint, there is no question that MD or MD/PhD is superior. The attitude among the PhD-only students and postdocs I work with is dismal regarding the likelihood of finding a faculty position, and many are looking for a way out of academics.

Thank you for the link. Those articles are very informative. It looks like everything is just getting more and more competitive nowadays.

Nature had an issue last year dedicated to discussing the state of the science PhD.

From a job standpoint, there is no question that MD or MD/PhD is superior. The attitude among the PhD-only students and postdocs I work with is dismal regarding the likelihood of finding a faculty position, and many are looking for a way out of academics.

Interesting discussion,
So what do you guys suggest to a guy like me who is an MD but has not done residency and cant be considered a licensed physician who can practice medicine? I am 44 and do not intend to do residency at all. Which path would you choose if you were me? Do PhD, masters of some kind in something or post doc of some sort. What career path would you choose in my life?
Appreciate your comments.

Interesting discussion,
So what do you guys suggest to a guy like me who is an MD but has not done residency and cant be considered a licensed physician who can practice medicine? I am 44 and do not intend to do residency at all. Which path would you choose if you were me? Do PhD, masters of some kind in something or post doc of some sort. What career path would you choose in my life?
Appreciate your comments.

You have to choose. I can't rightfully tell anyone to do anything. Concerning the fact you don't want to practice, you should realize that:
1) Research (except in rare cases) does not generate as much income as clinical work
2) You already have a doctoral level degree. You do not need to go back to get a PhD to do research....IF that is what you are interested in.
3) IF research is something you see in your future then you are already qualified to seek out and apply for post-doctoral positions.
4) You also have the potential option of being a lecturer. I have know foreign grads who did not do a residency in the united states to do either or both.

Good luck to you. I hope you figure out what you desire to do with your future and that it brings you happiness.:luck:

Thanks
Agree with the others that a research fellowship would make a lot more sense for the reasons given. But if you do decide to go to grad school, you may not have to take the GRE in spite of what it says on the grad program websites. It's not very common for people to go MD-to-PhD with the intention of giving up all clinical work, so you are not likely to find anyone with personal experience with making that transition here. I suggest contacting some programs you might want to attend and asking them about what requirements, if any, would be waived for someone coming in with an MD. You might be surprised.

As far as starting times are concerned, grad school is not like med school where everyone's schedules are in lock-step. There are some people starting grad school and some graduating every semester at many programs. So if you can't start in August, you can probably just start in January. Because it was early September when I defended my MS, I started my PhD (at another institution) in January. There was no resistance to allowing me to do that.