RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gosh, that flu vaccine story is scary! I'll be sure not to get the live mist type...sounds pretty unreliable. Hope you're feeling better by now.

Members don't see this ad.

I got 99 problems, and they all lady problems.

I have had a UTI since Monday morning, and the ol' cranberry juice wasn't cutting it, so I ducked out to the student health center this afternoon. They gave me antibiotics, but I am on my period and have cramps and just generally feel like 500 kinds of crap.

Had great break spent with boyfriend, call him today because I feel crappy and he couldn't be any less excited to talk to me.

Damnit. Should have known a great break would be met with a lackluster return to school. :(

I have had a UTI since Monday morning, and the ol' cranberry juice wasn't cutting it, so I ducked out to the student health center this afternoon. They gave me antibiotics, but I am on my period and have cramps and just generally feel like 500 kinds of crap.

:(

Awwww breenie I feel your pain - I get recurrent UTI's all the time. No idea why. I hope the docs told you to take a double dose of AB's for your first dose - it really does make you feel so much better in a matter of hours if you do that. :( hope your feeling better soon!

While we're talking about fish, I have a 67 gal (250L) filtered freshwater tropical tank. I love my lil fishies! I am really quite a bad fish owner though and the only reason mine have lived a good life is thanks to the wonderful, wonderful advice of the awesome guys at my local fish shop! I cant stand it when you do to a fish shop and there is some 16yo serving who knows nothing about fish and doesnt give a crap!
I've improved though, through education. I do 10-20% water changes once a week, and a tank clean once a week. Might seem like a bit of overkill in a filtered tank but my filter is on the blink lol and this is the only way i can keep it in check lol! fingers crossed for a lovely external filter for christmas! :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)

Had great break spent with boyfriend, call him today because I feel crappy and he couldn't be any less excited to talk to me.

Damnit. Should have known a great break would be met with a lackluster return to school. :(

Ugghhh, the worst! The abx always work for me.

Alleve or generic Naproxen for the cramps (causes less bloating than advil & lasts longer.)

Main source of pain for the UTI is the bladder spasms. Pyridium will take care of that & is available OTC as Phenazopyridine, FYI - it will turn your urine crazy orange colors so don't let that freak you out. Lots of water to help flush the system!

Sorry you're feeling so puny, get better soon!

Apparently you had a REALLY good break with the bf :laugh: Sorry, couldn't resist..hope you feel better. Did you tell him it's his fault, btw?

I am absolutley 100% sick and tired of studying for the MCAT and want to poke both of my eyeballs out simultaneously. How in the bloody H$LL am I supposed to remember ochem reactions and gen chem stoichiometry problems from FIFTEEN YEARS AGO???? :eek: And, seriously, who cares? Did just fine in year one vet school without having to dig up nasty memories and clean out crusty cobwebs. Grrrr.

2 more months of agony.... :scared:

The doc did not give me enough antibiotics for a UTI once. 6 months later, the uncomfortable feeling in my left side finally stopped! They suck.

Good luck with the MCAT, flyhi. There are some people over on another thread that prefer we take it. :laugh:.

I am absolutley 100% sick and tired of studying for the MCAT and want to poke both of my eyeballs out simultaneously. How in the bloody H$LL am I supposed to remember ochem reactions and gen chem stoichiometry problems from FIFTEEN YEARS AGO???? :eek: And, seriously, who cares? Did just fine in year one vet school without having to dig up nasty memories and clean out crusty cobwebs. Grrrr.

2 more months of agony.... :scared:

Major reason I did not even consider med school: 4 letters: MCAT :scared: Standardized tests and I are enemies. Do your best, flyhi! Have you done any practice ones?? Or just slogging through the material? When's your deadline/test date?

thanks, guys. I personally feel it has no relevance on your ability to do well in a professional medical program, but there are MANY that disagree with me! I'm on a 4 month regimented program (posted by an SDNer in the MCAT section) and start my full lengths in about a month. I will take 8 of them. Test day is January 27th, so help me.

while i'm here, might as well through another rant in: so apparently when I 'whittled down' my goods before moving to Scotland, I sold like ALL of my Christmas decorations. Gave away a bunch to my friend. Not so awesome seeing her FB pics with all my decorations and my beautiful, but empty, tree. +pissed+

Good luck with the MCAT, flyhi. There are some people over on another thread that prefer we take it. :laugh:.

Just like the GRE, you have to study for it... ;)

Good luck, flyhi! I took it when I was still on the fence about med school. It will be a relief when it's over!

UTIs are the worst EVER. I had major issues with recurrent UTIs in college, and discovered the hard way I was allergic to Cipro (think chest pain and trouble breathing). Keep loading up on cranberry juice and water, get the stuff that turns your pee orange for the spasms, and eat some chocolate. Feel better!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is more of a 'wahhh poor me' post than a rant but I seriously need a boost of confidence and need to get out of this rut. I am feeling so down right now about myself and my inability to find vet-related experience (in the past couple of months I've thought I snagged a few jobs/shadows/volunteering spots but it ends up not to be). I've battled self-doubt for awhile now and it's creeping up on me again. I've kind of shut down at school and have gotten stuck in this cycle of school/home/homework/sleep and I feel like things aren't getting better anytime soon. I have this terrible habit of talking myself out of things and I seriously need to stop this. Argh!

Okay. It feels a bit better to get that out. I need a journal or something! :laugh:

http://isitgoingtobeok.com/ :D

Alleve or generic Naproxen for the cramps (causes less bloating than advil & lasts longer.)

Main source of pain for the UTI is the bladder spasms. Pyridium will take care of that & is available OTC as Phenazopyridine, FYI - it will turn your urine crazy orange colors so don't let that freak you out. Lots of water to help flush the system!

Sorry you're feeling so puny, get better soon!

I loooooove the orange stuff! Discovering it was the best thing ever. :) I didn't know that about alleve... I've always taken advil. I'll have to give it a try, I always turn into a big bloated whale.

Apparently you had a REALLY good break with the bf :laugh: Sorry, couldn't resist..hope you feel better. Did you tell him it's his fault, btw?

*snort* Yeah. I also am hating the hilarity/irony of him buying cranberry juice at the grocery store over break and proclaiming how delicious it was and asking if I wanted any and my response being, "Why would I drink that? That nasty stuff is for UTIs!"

Thanks for the sympathy, everyone. :) I am feeling better this morning.

(I would kill to be DINK like many of my colleagues)

We are DINKs but in Texas, as you may or may not know...salaries are far less than the cost of living. Our mortgage is ridiculous and I swear everytime we get caught up just the slightest, something in that POS house breaks!!!

To add insult to injury yesterday, after plunking down over $500 bucks to the furnace repairman, I go to class to pick up my chem test only to find that I missed one too many questions to get the A that I needed. :poke:

I apparently marked the wrong multiple choice box purely in error. Even thought I had the problem worked out correctly on my scratch paper that was numbered, date-stamped and attached to the exam when he graded it, the asshat REFUSED to even consider giving me the credit!

Now I have to take the freaking final exam! :boom:

To make matters EVEN worse, when I got home, madder than a wet hen, my DH was completely unsympathetic and was actually rude to me! He has no idea the pressure I'm under working full time to bring home the bacon, pay the majority of our bills, AND get the grades needed to attempt admission to likely THE most competitive program in the country.

Oh, I'm sorry...thinking about all that might actually cause him to need to step away from his stupid video games! There I said, I'm married to a 41 going on 14 year old! :slap:

Yesterday was a GRRRRREAT day. Not.

I'm taking my last three pre-reqs (biochem + physics i/ii) at a large state university near me. I've been on the phone/email a few things with them over the past week dealing with registration-type things and it's been rather frustrating. There are so many silly steps to register for one class and each step is handled by a different person in a different office. It's starting to drive me a little nuts. (Also, really, a math placement exam for a post-bac program? Half is just arithmetic! Until "two years ago"--email quote, though I read it on their website two months ago--taking calc in undergrad got you out of the placement exam.) I also need to be "advised" which I could have done by attending a session (that took place before I was accepted into the postbac program!) for which ppt slides are online--skimmed through and it says "here's what we offer, here's what you need for med school and for dental school, kthxbye." Blahhhhgggg. Frustrating me.

I had to call my undergrad (small, liberal arts school) to get something faxed over and they were so helpful and sweet. Makes me really miss all the administrative staff we have--especially the post office staff (if only real USPS offices had workers that sweet and helpful!). Miss them all :love:.

My boyfriend is still waiting to hear back from Pharmacy School for an official acceptance. Since he applied as an early decision applicant, he is committed once he receives the official word. Deadlines for his other top choices are tomorrow. Ugh. This whole waiting game has him contemplating going to medical school instead. It would be awesome if he could join me at MSU for medical school. I just wish he would hear back from pharmacy school. Poor kid.

My boyfriend is still waiting to hear back from Pharmacy School for an official acceptance. Since he applied as an early decision applicant, he is committed once he receives the official word. Deadlines for his other top choices are tomorrow. Ugh. This whole waiting game has him contemplating going to medical school instead. It would be awesome if he could join me at MSU for medical school. I just wish he would hear back from pharmacy school. Poor kid.
My wife is waiting to hear back from Phd programs. I have to say applying to these programs is MUCH WORSE than to vet school. Made me nostalgic for VMCAS (I helped a lot with the drudgery of typing in the same info over and over).

And the odds are worse.

For one of her top choices they received 1000 applicants for 7 spots. So basically, every program is like applying to Davis out of state!

I am much more nervous for her, than I was for myself.

We are DINKs but in Texas, as you may or may not know...salaries are far less than the cost of living. Our mortgage is ridiculous and I swear everytime we get caught up just the slightest, something in that POS house breaks!!!

To add insult to injury yesterday, after plunking down over $500 bucks to the furnace repairman, I go to class to pick up my chem test only to find that I missed one too many questions to get the A that I needed. :poke:

I apparently marked the wrong multiple choice box purely in error. Even thought I had the problem worked out correctly on my scratch paper that was numbered, date-stamped and attached to the exam when he graded it, the asshat (:thumbup:)REFUSED to even consider giving me the credit!

Now I have to take the freaking final exam! :boom:

To make matters EVEN worse, when I got home, madder than a wet hen, my DH was completely unsympathetic and was actually rude to me! He has no idea the pressure I'm under working full time to bring home the bacon, pay the majority of our bills, AND get the grades needed to attempt admission to likely THE most competitive program in the country.

Oh, I'm sorry...thinking about all that might actually cause him to need to step away from his stupid video games! There I said, I'm married to a 41 going on 14 year old! :slap:

Yesterday was a GRRRRREAT day. Not.

Maddie, I am truly, really sorry for all of your issues. So not fair. However, the use of the word asshat makes me :D.

Hope things look up - SOON!

My wife is waiting to hear back from Phd programs. I have to say applying to these programs is MUCH WORSE than to vet school. Made me nostalgic for VMCAS (I helped a lot with the drudgery of typing in the same info over and over).

And the odds are worse.

For one of her top choices they received 1000 applicants for 7 spots. So basically, every program is like applying to Davis out of state!

Best of luck to them both! :luck: I have no idea what the pharmacy process is like, but have a TON of sympathy for Mrs. SOV. There should be some kind of award for simply getting those apps completed. :xf::xf: There's good news in the future!

And the odds are worse.

PhD programs are the worst. My boyfriend applied last year, didn't get accepted anywhere and is applying again this year. One thing that I have learned is that it's about who you know. People from 2 different schools he spoke to admitted to beginning their review of applicants with asking "does anyone know someone applying?" and if so they review those applications first. They may be full with good candidates that people knew before the regular applicants were even reviewed. Vet school may be a crap shoot but at least you kind of know your chances.

I loooooove the orange stuff! Discovering it was the best thing ever. :)

*snort* Yeah. I also am hating the hilarity/irony of him buying cranberry juice at the grocery store over break and proclaiming how delicious it was and asking if I wanted any and my response being, "Why would I drink that? That nasty stuff is for UTIs!"

Thanks for the sympathy, everyone. :) I am feeling better this morning.

:laugh::laugh: The only downside for the orange stuff for me: my doctor told me if I didn't take my contacts out, my eyes would turn orange. (My worst UTI was freshman orientation weekend of undergrad....so awkward - hey brand new roommates, I will be going to the bathroom 24/7. Don't judge me!:laugh:) I listened to him for the first day - and then said F that and went back to my contacts 24/7. Best part: my eyes remained white :rofl:

And yeah, had a similar situation with that same UTI. (ex) bf suggested the same thing....oh irony, thou art a heartless bitch ;) Needless to say, I am happily single and actually love cranberries now :D

Glad you're in better form, breenie :thumbup:

*Sigh*
I went to volunteer at the shelter this afternoon like I do every Thursday for over a year and...I brought home a cat. I fell in love with her and I don't even really know why. I've never had a cat before and here I am totally enamored. I don't know why I took her (right now just to foster), I haven't been looking for a cat and I am in no position to have a cat :(. I just took it as a sign and didn't really think about the implications. Now my boyfriend thinks I've gone bonkers (and why shouldn't he?) and I have to return her at some point this weekend. Why am I causing myself so much pain? Maybe I have gone nuts...I should take her back tomorrow.

been suffering from toothache crap this whole week (although it's probably stemming from an issue that's been going on for a long time now). and i think i actually have to go to the dentist this time around :( it's been years since i've been to a dentist (mainly b/c i'm scared and because i'm worried that they're going to judge me for my terrible teeth) but it's loose and it hurts :(

i'm super nervous/scared of the dentist but i think i actually have to go. it's been a while and i probably hae terrible teeth for a 22 year old :(

*Sigh*
I went to volunteer at the shelter this afternoon like I do every Thursday for over a year and...I brought home a cat. I fell in love with her and I don't even really know why. I've never had a cat before and here I am totally enamored. I don't know why I took her (right now just to foster), I haven't been looking for a cat and I am in no position to have a cat :(. I just took it as a sign and didn't really think about the implications. Now my boyfriend thinks I've gone bonkers (and why shouldn't he?) and I have to return her at some point this weekend. Why am I causing myself so much pain? Maybe I have gone nuts...I should take her back tomorrow.

1. Breathe :) It happens to everyone that works in shelters sometimes.
2. You don't have to keep the cat forever - just get working on flyers and a cute facebook photo and start hassling everyone you know!

1. Breathe :) It happens to everyone that works in shelters sometimes.
2. You don't have to keep the cat forever - just get working on flyers and a cute facebook photo and start hassling everyone you know!

Thanks, bunnity. I'm starting to move beyond that "Oh my God, what did I just do?" moment to that of just enjoying these couple of days I get to have a cat. I should just enjoy her.

She's supposed to move into adoptions, but she's on the waitlst. I know someone else will fall in love with her just as I have and will give her a great life. I'm going to tell the head tech that I'll take her for sure if she's on death row, but she's far from that.

I think we will both be OK...maybe the bf too.

*Sigh*

There have been quite a few times I've wanted to do this already. I work as a vet assistant for my county's Humane Society so I help out a good bit with the shelter side of things too. I've fallen in love with a few animals, which have all gone to some good homes so far. The only reason I haven't been able to bring anything home is because of our current dog who unfortunately doesn't get along with other animals...except my fish, who unfortunately still isn't doing well. =(

My 4 year old Razr has decided to go kaput (rant). That means I can step into the 21st century and purchase a smartphone (rave!). What phones do you guys use or recommend? I'm trying to stay away from the iphone (too expensive...)

Thanks!

Indulge! I thought maybe it was for the obvious female issues we face, but with that many angry emoticons, it has to be something else! :eyebrow:
Well, it is the notorious Aunt Flow, but this time, she invited her friend C. albicans. Sorry, guys, TMI, TMI...I know.

Well, it is the notorious Aunt Flow, but this time, she invited her friend C. albicans. Sorry, guys, TMI, TMI...I know.

Disclaimer: I am brain dead at the moment.

I saw c. albicans and could not for the life of me remember what it was.

"Candida" was not the "c" word I was thinking of, when it comes to "down there" things.... IF you know what I mean ;)

Ooooh girl, I totes made the sister version of this rant a few posts up.

Rant away, rant away.

Disclaimer: I am brain dead at the moment.

I saw c. albicans and could not for the life of me remember what it was.

"Candida" was not the "c" word I was thinking of, when it comes to "down there" things.... IF you know what I mean ;)

I had the same thought and was like, "Yikes! She must REALLY be having a bad day!"

I am absolutely and completely motivation-less. I have 15-20 people coming to my house tomorrow evening and it looks like a tornado hit. I have 900 anatomical terms to learn, horse needs to be lunged (not riding in THIS wind!!).....

Where did it GO????

So far - I have read facebook, cnn, sdn, and made coffee. ooo - I did PRINT out a study guide and placed it next to my Miller's.

I am absolutely and completely motivation-less. I have 15-20 people coming to my house tomorrow evening and it looks like a tornado hit. I have 900 anatomical terms to learn, horse needs to be lunged (not riding in THIS wind!!).....

Where did it GO????

So far - I have read facebook, cnn, sdn, and made coffee. ooo - I did PRINT out a study guide and placed it next to my Miller's.

^That is what I call "P-R-O-G-R-E-S-S." Baby steps, baby steps :laugh: I gave up FB for Lent. And now I'm indulging in blogging & SDN more :biglove:

Where did it GO????

hello old friend. I say... as far as priorities go, it is 1. horses, 2. friends, 3. anatomical terms.
and of course, cnn (my homepage, super distracting), sdn, and facebook all take precedence.
Good Luck :D

Where did it GO????

Ugh, same. Except CNN is better than TFLN :(

I forgot to turn in a library book and now the library says its lost and wants $150.

I really don't care about that cause the book isn't lost, I just don't know where it is :rolleyes:

but REALLY i'm ranting because i found this out in front of SOV and Mrs SOV when i tried to use my ID to check books out for Mrs SOV yesterday. and they told me I'm like banned from the library (ok not really, since I work there, but yeah...whoops). and this all occurred after SOV and Mrs SOV bought me a nice lunch and yummy cupcakes just for helping them out. SORRY SOV!!!

I gotta find that book :) :cool:

My 4 year old Razr has decided to go kaput (rant). That means I can step into the 21st century and purchase a smartphone (rave!). What phones do you guys use or recommend? I'm trying to stay away from the iphone (too expensive...)

Thanks!

I have the droid charge... I really like it, but like all the other smartphones be prepared for the battery to not last long. I have to charge it at least once a day (usually overnight).

I forgot to turn in a library book and now the library says its lost and wants $150.

I really don't care about that cause the book isn't lost, I just don't know where it is :rolleyes:

but REALLY i'm ranting because i found this out in front of SOV and Mrs SOV when i tried to use my ID to check books out for Mrs SOV yesterday. and they told me I'm like banned from the library (ok not really, since I work there, but yeah...whoops). and this all occurred after SOV and Mrs SOV bought me a nice lunch and yummy cupcakes just for helping them out. SORRY SOV!!!

I gotta find that book :) :cool:
Don't worry about it GB! We were more embarrassed that the cupcakes weren't as good as usual, and we've raved so many times about them. :oops:

If you don't find the book, maybe you could try to sneak by with an old edition from abe books for $1 as a replacement?

It's finals week and I'm stressed out already. This morning, I wake up to find my 11 y.o. lab is lame in his front leg. We go to the vet and find out he probably has bone cancer! We did x-rays, CBC and sent films off to radiologist for review.

We are waiting to hear back from the radiologist Monday or Tuesday. It's agony.

To make matters worse, he's laying on the floor beside me crying and whining. I feel so helpless. He got a shot for pain at the vet this afternoon at 12pm and I just gave him his dose of Tramadol for the night. This is literally killing me. The waiting, not knowing and of course his pain.

If the radiologist can't give us an idea of what we're dealing with, next step is bone biopsy.

I don't know what to do. I don't want it to be a quality vs. quantity of life issue. I don't want to be selfish and put him through procedures that aren't going to buy him much time. At the same time, I don't want to stop fighting if there is a chance he can pull through this with a few healthy, happy years ahead of him. Has anyone else been through this??? Any tips, suggestions, moral support much appreciated. Not looking for medical advice, I've discussed this from every possible angle with my vet.

Anyone have a hard time understanding the PASSIOn of vet med? i.e. my ex boyfriend said he doesnt hear it in my voice...I tried to explain that it just IS...that I just KNOW...but he said he doesnt see it :oops:(FMl

It's finals week and I'm stressed out already. This morning, I wake up to find my 11 y.o. lab is lame in his front leg. We go to the vet and find out he probably has bone cancer! We did x-rays, CBC and sent films off to radiologist for review.

:( Sorry to hear. If it's any consolation, you sound like you're approaching it in a much calmer, more rational way than most would.