Question about Progestin contraception

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knicks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard from a Kaplan lecturer [from a video] that the mechanism by which Progestin contraception works is that it produces endometrial atrophy.

Question: I though progesterone maintains the endometrial lining, and is therefore conducive for fertilization/pregnancy. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

ALLLLrighty then...

I heard from a Kaplan lecturer [from a video] that the mechanism by which Progestin contraception works is that it produces endometrial atrophy.

Question: I though progesterone maintains the endometrial lining, and is therefore conducive for fertilization/pregnancy. Thoughts?

Think about it in an overall sense...

Progesterone creates a systemic chance in the female reproductive system that is conducive to gestation. This includes; thickening of the endometrial lining, thickening of mucus, and PREVENTION OF FOLLICULAR DEVELOPMENT.

This means that the sperm are stopped from fertilization because of the thick mucus. And, even if they made it through the mucus there wouldn't be an egg for it to fertilize.

As the body responds to the progesterone it starts anovulatory cycles, that is a menstrual cycle that lacks ovulation (which comes from the initial inhibition of follicular development). Anovulatory cycles tend to make the uterine lining become thin and atrophic. The resulting thin lining also helps prevent pregnancy.

Progesterone only birth control has a multitude of effects, your instructor gave you a simple explanation but really left out the important stuffs (you know like the mechanism).

Hope that helps.