Originally Posted by afedorahat
I'm not sure if anyone else is in a similar boat as I am... (sorry this might be a little long)
I graduated in May of 2011 with a 3.36 from UC Berkeley. My MCAT scores were 30P and 27R respectively. I applied the 2011-2012 cycle and only was able to interview and get accepted into DO schools. I have some great extracurriculars, great letter of recommendations, and I think a decent personality to get through the interviews. But I did not receive any interviews at any MD schools and now have decided to go to a DO school in the upcoming school year (Aug 2012)
I was thinking of attending the school and reapplying to MD schools in the upcoming cycle after retaking the MCAT. I really think I could score higher. But I'm just not sure about being in a DO program and applying to the MD program. As much as I really appreciate the DO philosophy, there's no point in denying that opportunities are much more vast for MD students (recognition, residency positions, etc). I don't know (if I do get interviews) if the schools will think it's weird that I am applying to MD schools while I am at a DO school. Would it be helpful? Will it be deleterious?
My plan for right now is to:
Study for the MCAT: now - end of May
take the MCAT: end of May
turn in primaries: beginning of June
release my MCAT score: when it comes out in early July
I am at the beginning stage of my thought process but I am definitely aware of the fact that I need to make my decisions SOON. I just wanted to hear some thoughts. Much help is appreciated!
I don't think this is the best plan. You've already gone down on the MCAT. You didn't get any interviews at MD school this cycle. I know how it is applying md/do but sometimes you just need to be realistic and happy with your available opportunities. Enjoy your time before school starts.