Which drugs do you prescribe the most?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeybutt

Awesome Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what do you think are the top 3 or 5 drugs you prescribe to patients leaving the ED?

I know my #1 is norco. Otherwise, off the top of my head, I might say Bactrim and Keflex. You?

Members don't see this ad.

In no particular order:

Norco/Percocet - depending on severity
Motrin/Robaxin - back painers, etc... +/- above
Albuterol/Prednisone +/- Azithromycin
Flonase
Hydroxyzine - itching or anxiety - one of my favorites
zofran/phenergan - depending on insurance status
Bactrim/Keflex
Amoxicillin in Peds
Omnicef
Fioricet occasionally

Hydrocodone/acetaminophen (oxycodone requires handwritten triplicate Rx - never ordered any)
Valium (I don't write cyclobenzaprine)
Doxycycline (I avoid azithromycin)
Nitrofurantoin (first-line UTI, although we stock fosfomycin in the ED now)
Cephalexin (skin, non-MRSA)
Ciprofloxaxcin (complicated UTI)
Metronidazole (PID)
TMP/SMX (skin)
Penicillin VK (teeth)
Amoxicillin (pediatrics)
Albuterol
Prednisone (although frequently I just do single-dose dexamethasone in the ED)
Ondansetron/promethazine

Members don't see this ad :)
Naproxen
Norco
Bactrim
Albuterol

Hydrocodone/acetaminophen (oxycodone requires handwritten triplicate Rx - never ordered any)
Valium (I don't write cyclobenzaprine)
Doxycycline (I avoid azithromycin)
Nitrofurantoin (first-line UTI, although we stock fosfomycin in the ED now)
Cephalexin (skin, non-MRSA)
Ciprofloxaxcin (complicated UTI)
Metronidazole (PID)
TMP/SMX (skin)
Penicillin VK (teeth)
Amoxicillin (pediatrics)
Albuterol
Prednisone (although frequently I just do single-dose dexamethasone in the ED)
Ondansetron/promethazine

Why Valium over Flexeril?

Vicodin/Percocet (I prefer the former, many patients prefer the latter)
Zofran 8's (don't ask me why it's cheaper to give a higher dose)
Robaxin or Valium is my muscle relaxant of choice. Valium for my more severe spasm pt's.
Keflex (my 1st line UTI, yes, I know QID isn't great, but its E.Coli sensitivity at my current hospital is lightyears better than bactrim, cipro, and macrobid)
Prednisone
Bactrim
Clinda for MRSA coverage when I get a keflex or sulfa allergy
I don't prescribe albuterol because we give away inhalers whenever we order one.

As above - and because, the last time I looked into the literature ~1.5 years ago, the best information I could find re: muscle relaxants was in the cerebral palsy literature re: spasticity. From that, it seemed as though the two best reasonably applicable options were diazepam and baclofen. I don't know much about baclofen, so I write for diazepam.

I think my list is similar to everyone else (In no particular order):

Naproxen
Cephalexin
Bactrim
Doxycycline
Vicodin
Prednisone
OxyContin 80

(Ok, maybe not that last one)

Doxy:

Kills staff
Kills strep
Kills MRSA
Treats pneumonia (CAP, anyway)
Kills chlamydia
Can be used for UTIs in young sexually active females.
Cheap as dirt

What's not to like?

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

At our shop Doxy has great MSSA and MRSA coverage (I believe 93% on our last antibiogram.) It's also great against group A strep. It, however, is lousy against strep pneumo (upwards of 40% with at least intermediate resistance.) At least with our isolates, I would never recommend it as first line for community acquired pneumonia.

As above - and because, the last time I looked into the literature ~1.5 years ago, the best information I could find re: muscle relaxants was in the cerebral palsy literature re: spasticity. From that, it seemed as though the two best reasonably applicable options were diazepam and baclofen. I don't know much about baclofen, so I write for diazepam.

Thanks for the info.

Norco
Valium
Naprosyn
Keflex-UTI
Clinda-MRSA

A warm glass of shut the hell up

hydrocodone/acetaminophen
oxycodone/acetaminophen
acetaminophen
ibuprofen
naproxen
cephalexin
prednisone
amoxicillin
ciprofloxacin
metronidazole
sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim
phenergan
zofran
reglan
albuterol

That's got to be 98% of my prescriptions.

naproxen - def #1 -- patient satisfactionizer to get "a script"
phenergan (never trust zofran to be covered or paid for)
albuterol HFA
prednisone
vicodin
flexeril (milder spasms, maybe just placebo but it works for many anecdotally)
valium (more severe spasms)
doxycycline (TOTALLY AGREE w/ the above posters... training at a county hospital taught me to use this drug for nearly everything it's indicated for, and it works! my allergist looked at me cross-eyed when i told her it was ok for a coughing asthmatic ie me, who's allergic to azithro)
macrobid is my fave for uncomplicated UTI

i have some knowledge to write for baclofen after my own back injury disaster - but it's not really an EM med, so i don't write for it. i do see some of my local neuros using zanaflex for migraines, i'm tempted to give trials of that for sure in the pan "but nothing wooooorks" ED migraine pts.

Doxy:

Kills staff
Kills strep
Kills MRSA
Kills chlamydia
Cheap as dirt

What's not to like?

So I definitely agree with a lot of this. But when doxycycline is less effective than azithromycin and a treatment failure costs a lot more money (return visit) and morbidity, I'm more hesitant.

When deciding between 14 pills (7 days BID) of doxycycline to treat chlamydia, or a single dose of azithromycin with guaranteed cure (which you could even do in the ED before they left if compliance were a serious issue), in a patient population that may have difficulty filling a prescription or adhering to a BID regimen for a week... it seems that it would be difficult to choose doxycycline. Although since county here just essentially gives the medications to patients anyway if they are unable to pay (some paperwork involved from what I understand, but patients end up getting their meds), I guess that would be a much different story if they had to pay a significant difference out of pocket, but that might be an argument for just dosing the one dose of azithromycin in the ED before they leave and calling it a day (in a copay-based system or a flat fee per visit situation).

Resistance to pneumococcus with doxycycline is not unheard of (20% in most studies, but your local institutional susceptibilities will of course be a better judge as in ccfccp's experience), and again, when deciding between a cheap drug with a higher risk of treatment failure or a more expensive drug with a lower risk of treatment failure, it's more difficult to justify to me even from an economical standpoint. There's some newer evidence that because of the ridiculously long halflife of azithromycin you may be able to give a 2g microsphere single dose in the ED and not have them take anything as an outpatient, but I don't know much about the cost or availability of that treatment.

For UTIs in sexually active females, you'd be treating for Staphylococcus saprophyticus, but that isn't the most common cause of UTI in that patient population, either (obviously still E. coli, which isn't covered as well). I feel that again even in that patient population, in the absence of other data, I'd choose what's empirically going to be the most effective. And since S. saprophyticus isn't a nitrate reducer, if the dip had nitrites that'd rule out S. saprophyticus anyway.

But I 100% agree with everything else. If I'm missing something (and I probably am -- not even an M.D. yet, so obviously can't even independently write a prescription :laugh:) with the above statements, I'd like to learn.

Last edited:
#1 norco
#2 norco
#3 metformin
#4 lisinopril
#5 doxy

In no particular order:

Norco/Percocet - depending on severity
Motrin/Robaxin - back painers, etc... +/- above
Albuterol/Prednisone +/- Azithromycin
Flonase
Hydroxyzine - itching or anxiety - one of my favorites
zofran/phenergan - depending on insurance status
Bactrim/Keflex
Amoxicillin in Peds
Omnicef
Fioricet occasionally

What do you write Fioricet for ?

I have never ( not once ) scripted this for a migraine or TTH patient in my headache practice.

Too addictive. Word is, this is the stuff Marilyn Munroe OD'd on . I would think that this may potentially encourage pts to return to the ER for more barbs.

For severe headaches, I use:

Triptans.
NSAIDs: Triptans + NSAIDs.
IV DHE for ultra severe migraine ( this can be done in the ER if you have the time).

Preventive meds.
Tell them not to overuse symptomatic meds.
Drug screen when I suspect they are drug seeking.

Just my .02

Agree. The "centrally acting muscle relaxants" should be better categorized as "magic voodoo fairy dust." No one quite knows how they work... and in my opinion (based on reading the literature) and experience (based on the number of patients who say "this s*it don't work!") I've come to the conclusion that all those drugs DO is make you sleepy and stupid.

Now, benzos on the other hand, do also have the central sleeping effect, but also have been shown to have some effects at peripheral GABA receptors and thus should directly act on the peripheral nerves & muscles to cause relaxation.

I prefer benzos. But that's just my practice pattern, based on my above justification... plus, if for some God-awful reason the patients decide to overdose on their meds, benzo ODs are just so much easier to treat. d=)

Interesting Cochrane Review from 2008, though, says any drug is better than placebo. Take from it what you will...

Cheers!
-d

Just out of curiosity, what do you think are the top 3 or 5 drugs you prescribe to patients leaving the ED?

I know my #1 is norco. Otherwise, off the top of my head, I might say Bactrim and Keflex. You?

1) normalsaline 1000mg IV stat
2) tryptophan in thinly prepared form, surrounded by a carbohydrate/dairy matrix, PO stat

Oh wait, I just reread the OP and it's for patients LEAVING the ED... I still think the above applies, though.

d=)

Cheers!
-d

I have never ( not once ) scripted this for a migraine or TTH patient in my headache practice.

Too addictive. Word is, this is the stuff Marilyn Munroe OD'd on . I would think that this may potentially encourage pts to return to the ER for more barbs.

For severe headaches, I use:

Triptans.
NSAIDs: Triptans + NSAIDs.
IV DHE for ultra severe migraine ( this can be done in the ER if you have the time).

Preventive meds.
Tell them not to overuse symptomatic meds.
Drug screen when I suspect they are drug seeking.

Just my .02

Triptans?

Is anyone else using these?

I have not had the time to look it up, but I have heard from multiple well-read, EBM attendings of mine that the whole triptan thing is a trick from the pharmaceutical industry.

Have these even been shown to be better than combo compazine and NSAIDs?

Said attendings were pretty emphatic that the answer to that last question was 'no', unless you benefited financially from triptan sales.

Has anyone already done this lit search?

If not, I guess I will get on it for my own peace of mind.

HH

While practices may vary, I venture that the fact that poster's location is the great white north may play a part in it.
Headaches get droperidol, benadryl, saline, and motrin if I feel like it. If we weren't having a shortage of decadron, I'd give it too for the not insignificant chance of preventing recurrence.
I give them PO compazine to go home with.

Triptans?

I have not had the time to look it up, but I have heard from multiple well-read, EBM attendings of mine that the whole triptan thing is a trick from the pharmaceutical industry.

Said attendings were pretty emphatic that the answer to that last question was 'no', unless you benefited financially from triptan sales.

HH

There was an article i Annals a couple years back that was a really good RCT of IV compazine + benadryl vs. triptan in patients with established classic migraine headaches. The two arms weren't even close in terms of effectiveness. IIRC, Compazine was nearly 100% effective, Triptans were around 70% effective.

Keep in mind that's IV compazine, not PO.

In non-migraine h/a's that are resistant to compazine (or when we're out of it), our neuro recommends 1g solu-medrol and/or 500mg depakote (I forget if it's IV or not). I scoffed at it, but have seen some success with it.

n=3 for oxygen treating cluster h/a's. Had a pregnant woman come in who was having them, had the telltale clustering, unilateral tearing and rhinorrhea. Nice thing to diagnose with treatment that actually works before the neurology app't that she had for later i the week.

Only h/a's I have had true difficulty with were pseudotumor h/a's. Can't tell if the pt is med seeking or truly CSF overloaded until you do the tap. And I hate the concept of doing therapeutic taps.

I write it all the time for pt's with tension h/a's, and migraine h/a's that haven't gotten to see PMD or neuro yet. In 3 years, I've seen maybe one med seeking person try to get more of it. But our pain seeking population fortunately doesn't use h/a's. much. They're still stuck on stomach, back, neck, and pelvic pain.

We use triptans as third line at our shop. 1st line is either prochloperazine or metoclopramide + benadryl IV with a bolus of 250 mls NS; if that fails we;re supposed to go to ergotamine but as we don't stock it I've never seen it used (and am not sure why it's still on the protocol). I usually go with either steroids or oxygen as both are readily available and seem to work. Some of my colleagues go to the narcs next but I am very stingy with those (the narc seekers know not to come in when I'm on at the single coverage shops. When they register the doc's name comes up on the sheet and the more savvey ones look and leave when they see mine). I have used triptans on an outpatient basis with my office practice and they seem to help with the early stages. My personal experience is that they make me sleep for 10-16 hours, which makes the headache a lot more bearable:laugh:. Not very useful if I have to work though. Cheers,
M
also in the Great White North

i LOVE compazine... but we haven't had it since i started at my new gig in Feb. my previous gig didn't have it either.

i'm having decent success w/ phenergan, and i often give it as an rx to go home if it works in the ED. pt knows the name and i can say i'm giving them the same thing in a pill as they got iv... and will help w/ nausea.

i was trained not to start triptans myself... and honestly most of the pts we see are either 1. new dx or 2. have already failed triptans.

actually had neuro suggest Zanaflex (tizanidine) for one refractory pt. i also give valium sometimes as an adjunct for those w/ spasm.

i sometimes prescribe a few Fioricet for the new dx HA or the more tension than migraine pts. and by few, i mean 12 which is 6 doses.

Triptans?

HH

The problem with Triptans ( i.e. Imitrex, etc.) in the ER setting would be administering within a reasonable time period and cost for the department ( triptans ain't cheap).

Triptans lose their efficacy the longer the period taken from onset of headache.

Absolutely: Compazine is effective for acute migraine. I can't seem to find a head to head study in regards to compazine / NSAIDs versus Triptans.

I can assure you that Triptans are an extremely effective tool for managing acute migraine headaches. Due to the above phenomenon, this likely explains the lack of success in the ER setting. I can assure you there is a significant body of evidence to support their use.

You sound a bit like a paranoid patient here in regards to the pharma issue - do you get paid for writing Fioricet scripts ? :D

I found much better treatment for cluster headaches with oxygen when it's on the patient. I was slightly frustrated when I ordered it and discussed it with the nurse, and found the pt was still not on it an hour later. I would have done it myself, but I was at an unfamiliar location and the NRB mask was not in the normal location.

I despise azithromycin. It's really the only outpatient Rx I irrationally make my residents switch to an alternative. Such irritating pharmacokinetics.

if it's indicated... i like it b/c it's very easy for patients to take. spectrum not too broad for simpler upper resp stuff where you feel the need to give an antibiotic but not a big gun.

to what do you have them switch??? and why are you cogitating about pharmacokinetics of an outpatient antibiotic??

if it's indicated... i like it b/c it's very easy for patients to take. spectrum not too broad for simpler upper resp stuff where you feel the need to give an antibiotic but not a big gun.

to what do you have them switch??? and why are you cogitating about pharmacokinetics of an outpatient antibiotic??

Zithromax has a very long half life. As you know, zithromax works in the body for about 5 days after you stop taking it which is why you can use it for short courses and once daily dosing. However, this is also its downfall as an antibiotic. It lingers in the body at subtherapeutic concentrations for about a month. letting the bugs build up resistence. Areas with high zithromax use have high resistance to macrolides for this very reason. We were taught as residents to avoid it like the plague. I was taught to prescribe anything else that was indicated for the particular infection over zithromax and only use it as a last resort if they had been on absolutely everything else in the past 4 months, or were allergic to every other class of abx, Cheers,
M

Absolutely: Compazine is effective for acute migraine. I can't seem to find a head to head study in regards to compazine / NSAIDs versus Triptans.

I can assure you that Triptans are an extremely effective tool for managing acute migraine headaches. Due to the above phenomenon, this likely explains the lack of success in the ER setting. I can assure you there is a significant body of evidence to support their use.

You sound a bit like a paranoid patient here in regards to the pharma issue - do you get paid for writing Fioricet scripts ? :D

No, not paranoid about triptans...just curious.

Indeed, I am paranoid about some drugs, but those are the (1) expensive ones that have no proven benefit over the cheap ones AND (2) have very high risk for injury.

The triptans don't seem to have much of a downside beyond expense, so I don't care THAT much.

Mostly just curious...

HH

Zithromax has a very long half life. As you know, zithromax works in the body for about 5 days after you stop taking it which is why you can use it for short courses and once daily dosing. However, this is also its downfall as an antibiotic. It lingers in the body at subtherapeutic concentrations for about a month. letting the bugs build up resistence. Areas with high zithromax use have high resistance to macrolides for this very reason. We were taught as residents to avoid it like the plague. I was taught to prescribe anything else that was indicated for the particular infection over zithromax and only use it as a last resort if they had been on absolutely everything else in the past 4 months, or were allergic to every other class of abx, Cheers,
M

This.

Great answer.

What I "need" to be writing.

Rx. Testicles
Sig: where daily for rest of life
Quant. QS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speaking of zithromax, I discovered my own allergy to macrolides 3 days after my last dose of zithromax. the hives and angioedema of my hands and feet lasted for a solid 3-4 more days after that. Had to take Zyrtec since benadryl wasn't lasting long enough.

Doxy:

Kills staff
Kills strep
Kills MRSA
Kills chlamydia
Cheap as dirt

What's not to like?
\

As a former Peace Corps Volunteer I could give you a list of about 10 dirty things not to like about doxy. But I'm not a doctor and was taking it over an extended period of time (at least we were supposed to be taking it).

speaking of zithromax, I discovered my own allergy to macrolides 3 days after my last dose of zithromax. the hives and angioedema of my hands and feet lasted for a solid 3-4 more days after that. Had to take Zyrtec since benadryl wasn't lasting long enough.

i'm allergic too, and had the most awful pruritis of my hands and feet... couldn't sleep... steroids didn't help and just made sleeping worse... benadryl and atarax barely helped... it was hell.

motrin
norco
bactrim
keflex
prednisone
amoxicillin
macrobid
zofran
cipro
oxycodone
Dilantin (yes I know you are not going to fill this one just like the 6 other dilantin scripts you got from the ED)
vallium (usually for withdrawl but occasionally as a "muscle relaxant"...why bother with the receptor sluts like flexeril, skelaxin etc?)

Things I don't prescribe
xanax
fioricet
soma
codiene (unless the patient has had it before, knows it works for them, and specifically requests it)
tylenol #4 (normal people don't ask for this, or even know it exists)
vicodin ES (I try to use the one with as little tylenol as possible...norco, why poison their liver when they inevitably decide to abuse whatever surplus medication they have)

No, not paranoid about triptans...just curious.

Indeed, I am paranoid about some drugs, but those are the (1) expensive ones that have no proven benefit over the cheap ones AND (2) have very high risk for injury.

The triptans don't seem to have much of a downside beyond expense, so I don't care THAT much.

Mostly just curious...

HH

I find triptans can be very effective for my migraine patients.

I also find it quite effective for my migraine headaches with aura. This medication has the bonus of minimal medical side effects; however, it does have the significant financial side effect of cost.

Opioids = sedation, nausea / vomiting, constipation and return visitors / habit forming. Triptans = none of these, and increased function. This appeals to me, and not being gorked out of my mind while seeing patients. I'm sure pts appreciate this.

This message brought to you by an MD with no vested financial interest in triptans.

Great success !

What about the studies that show less efficacy vs Reglan/Compazine/Droperidol?