Another Errata in FA not corrected-- Sigh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelpPleaseMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
pg 510. angiotensin II works on AT1 receptors to mediate constriction.

Best of Luck to everyone on the test tomorrow. I hope I don't freak out on the WTF questions o_O

Members don't see this ad.

pg 510. angiotensin II works on AT1 receptors to mediate constriction.

Best of Luck to everyone on the test tomorrow. I hope I don't freak out on the WTF questions o_O

It does. It sounds a little counter-intuitive, but there are AT1 and AT2 receptors (and probably others as well) for ATII-binding. The AT1 receptors mediate vasoconstriction. As far as the AT2 receptors are concerned, I had always heard these were less significant and not to worry about them, but I recall them having some role in fetal development. Therefore, if one gets a question on teratogenicity and ATII, he or she should go with AT2 receptor; if it's a question on vasoconstriction, he or she should go with AT1 receptor.

Pg. 477 FA mentions cholinesterase inhibitors as antidote for Phase II of succinylcholine blockade. That doesn't make sense to me. Is that an error?

Also, in the updated errata, they said to remove malignant hyperthermia as toxicity for inhaled anesthetics. A few of the inhaled anesthetics, halothane and nitrous oxide, can cause malignant hyperthermia and I remember Kaplan specifically stating that for halothane I think it was. Hmm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pg. 477 FA mentions cholinesterase inhibitors as antidote for Phase II of succinylcholine blockade. That doesn't make sense to me. Is that an error?

Also, in the updated errata, they said to remove malignant hyperthermia as toxicity for inhaled anesthetics. A few of the inhaled anesthetics, halothane and nitrous oxide, can cause malignant hyperthermia and I remember Kaplan specifically stating that for halothane I think it was. Hmm.

Interesting. I think it's because these generally induce malignant hyperthermia when used with succinylcholine, but you're right, the -fluranes can cause it on their own.

It's also important to know where exactly in the synapse those AT1 receptors are located.

Could you please elaborate on that statement?