Really frustrated...need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Swoops

So it's been a while..and I am yet to to hear from any schools. No rejections, interviews, literally nothing. I feel like I have decent stats and EC's, but I might have messed up on my statement and I have no research experience. I thought I would at least have an interview from UMKC by now (state school), but I feel like they might be rejecting me. My stats are 19AA,TS,PAT.. And I have a 3.6 sGPA and oGPA. Is it reasonable for me to be worried or do I need to just relax?

Members don't see this ad.

So it's been a while..and I am yet to to hear from any schools. No rejections, interviews, literally nothing. I feel like I have decent stats and EC's, but I might have messed up on my statement and I have no research experience. I thought I would at least have an interview from UMKC by now (state school), but I feel like they might be rejecting me. My stats are 19AA,TS,PAT.. And I have a 3.6 sGPA and oGPA. Is it reasonable for me to be worried or do I need to just relax?

What do u mean, messed up ur personal statement? How can u mess that up, in wat sense?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to just relax! You have great stats, and really nothing to worry about. The reason you may have not recieved interviews yet depends on the number of schools you applied to (its appropriate to apply to 8-10 even If you have good stats), how late you applied (its rolling admissions, and many dont realize how much applying late hurts their chances), and possibly extra curriculars or letters. To be honest I think you will definitiely recieve interviews. Many times State schools wait because they feel obligated to get in all the out of staters and those with ridiculous stats. They may already know that they have you, and that they could call you in late november and that you would still attend..just hang in there! Stats are good and interviews will come!

What do u mean, messed up ur personal statement? How can u mess that up, in wat sense?

By messed up, I just mean it isn't exactly what I wanted it to be. At the time of submission I thought I was solid, but looking at it now I am not sure if I represented myself as well as I could have. This might just be because I am upset I don't have an interview yet. Who knows....

I applied to 14 schools- LLU, UoP, UCSF, Louisville, Temple, Penn, BU, Tufts, San Antonio (reach: I have family there), Michigan, Maryland, NYU, UMKC, Colorado. I took my DAT on Aug 8th, and everything was submitted/sent on August 24th. People with the same mail out date already have 2+ interviews and people on here have like 9!! I'm just worried..I would love a pre-dec interview.

As long as your statement didn't suck, that's not the problem. By suck, I don't mean 'could have better'.

It's just a wait in line sort of thing now. It's difficult, but try not to compare yourself to others based on stats and batch numbers. This is a weird, unpredictable process.

As long as your statement didn't suck, that's not the problem. By suck, I don't mean 'could have better'.

It's just a wait in line sort of thing now. It's difficult, but try not to compare yourself to others based on stats and batch numbers. This is a weird, unpredictable process.

I appreciate your opinion Jeffity. The unpredictability of the cycle is exactly what is scaring me!!

What Batch?

Pretty sure 8/24 was the 8th batch. I know that's not helping me at all. Had to take organic 2 over the summer so I took the DAT late. But at the same time, people from my batch with similar stats have already been invited to multiple schools.

This is why...b/c now they have filters for people with just 3.8+ or 20+ DAT, so its gonna take them a bit for some schools to get to your application, they will though..its just prime time right now for high staters or early birders, alot of us early birders already got some worms!

This is why...b/c now they have filters for people with just 3.8+ or 20+ DAT, so its gonna take them a bit for some schools to get to your application, they will though..its just prime time right now for high staters or early birders, alot of us early birders already got some worms!

Ok that's some good info. Thanks periopocket! I emailed UMKC's dental counselor 10 days ago just making sure that they had all of my stuff, and she told me i should be hearing from them in about two weeks. Not sure what to think about that, it made me paranoid! Haha I keep thinking two weeks sounds like the time it would take them to snail mail a rejection haha.. I'll chill out! Thanks for the advice

No worries...Im telling you this is real life, they really do set filters during certain parts of the cycle, she probably meant that their going to start pursuing those with your stats and residency status in 2 weeks to offer you the good news! GL your gonna do great!

Ok that's some good info. Thanks periopocket! I emailed UMKC's dental counselor 10 days ago just making sure that they had all of my stuff, and she told me i should be hearing from them in about two weeks. Not sure what to think about that, it made me paranoid! Haha I keep thinking two weeks sounds like the time it would take them to snail mail a rejection haha.. I'll chill out! Thanks for the advice

Oh gosh id be paranoid too after what the time frame they gave u

Members don't see this ad :)
I know right!? If they reject me I will be so pissed. I did my last two years of undergrad at UMKC, so they better invite me!

They will they will. Ur gpa is solid. Dont worry just relax and keep urself busy and before u know it the 2 weeks will be over and ull have an interview invite. OPTIMISM ? And positivty!? i think its the only choice we have for now....

Oh gosh id be paranoid too after what the time frame they gave u

They will they will. Ur gpa is solid. Dont worry just relax and keep urself busy and before u know it the 2 weeks will be over and ull have an interview invite. OPTIMISM ? And positivty!? i think its the only choice we have for now....

Sounds good! Thanks everyone. That really helped ease my mind! For now......

No worries...Im telling you this is real life, they really do set filters during certain parts of the cycle, she probably meant that their going to start pursuing those with your stats and residency status in 2 weeks to offer you the good news! GL your gonna do great!

Where is your evidence of this? This is why SDN gets a bad rep, because people post information only from what they have "heard," not from actual facts. Don't post things that you don't have facts to back up.

Sorry I like to keep things slightly confidential. I see you live a slightly different philosophy, and I respect that. I will think about your feelings next time I post something, please accept my apologies.

Last edited:
Did you say on your Personal statement you want to be a dentist because you want to be RICH? like for the money?? huh? lol JK.. so funny, I was actually encourage once by a friend to write how much i would love to be a dentist to be a millionaire haha... Stop worrying, I am sure you get some interviews. Your stats are ok, but if you applied late maybe they are still reviewing careful your application

Where is your evidence of this? This is why SDN gets a bad rep, because people post information only from what they have "heard," not from actual facts. Don't post things that you don't have facts to back up.

I just want to weigh in with my thoughts on the matter, specifically with regards to stats. Not specifically addressed to either of you, just thoughts that come to mind when I read posts sometimes. Is what I say fact? Maybe not. But it's hardly just made up. I realize that the notion that all the hard work we put into our applications being simplified to a mechanical, lifeless process is very annoying. Almost offensive. In the back of my mind, I like to think that every school out there gives every application a fair look and does't just look at the numbers. Surely they will look past the 2.8GPA and take a moment to read my PS so they can see where my heart is before adding me to the queue of reject letters. I mean, it's only 4500 characters. That might work for Georgia or Tennessee or ECU - schools with only hundreds of applications might have time for that. But then you have schools like NYU with close to 5,000 applications. 'Filter' might be a harsh term, but how else do you process 5,000 applications? A third of the schools pull in 2,000 plus applications per year. That's massive. Last cycle, there were 116,024 applications submitted (11,655 applications averaging 9.95 applications each). I really wish it were otherwise, but it's just not reasonable to think they are not filtering applicants. I like that they have added this coversheet. It does lead you to believe that they are reviewing you holistically, but not everyone is going to have their coversheet reviewed. Even that isn't practical in the early stages.

This is a DAT/GPA game. What better way to crunch those numbers than on a computer? Only a handful of schools explicitly state cutoffs for DAT. And many who state a GPA minimum are so terribly low that it's rarely mentioned. Behind the scenes they can filter anyone they want (and probably why the majority don't have hard cut-offs). Right out of the gates, you see a lot of the sub-3.0s getting the immediate rejects - that auto-reject is the product of filtering the applications by GPA. ASDOH is an example. Those applications go through the AT Still main campus in Missouri. They are explicit in telling you that you will receive a secondary if you meet a minimum GPA standard. ASDOH in AZ doesn't even see your application before it goes through there. They're not reading statements and assessing volunteer hours in Missouri. They're filtering. You see a handful of schools crank out secondaries just hours after the first batch goes out. All a product of filtering on stats.

Bear with me on this part. As for the whole 'batch' and 'date mailed' thing, I'm sure almost everyone on SDN knows by now that applications are not literally mailed to schools where they sort them into nice stacks of 'yes', 'no', 'maybe', 'waiting on DAT', etc. It's all digital. Schools can see your apps immediately. They have an admissions portal that looks just like your AADSAS portal. You don't even have to submit. As soon as you start an application, all you have to do is select a school name and that school instantly has access to your name and email. I doubt they do anything with that info at that point. They can see when you started your application, when you submitted, if you're waiting on letters, etc. Pretty much what you see, but at varying quantity as you progress through the stages to a 'completed application'. Some schools work off of this a lot. I saw the online portal actually pulled up at my interview because he wanted to see my DAT scores. Ever wonder how Case pulls of emailing those interested in the program before the first batch goes out? This is a nice little system, but it's the Admissions Client that gets gnarly. This is an actual application, not just the online portal. Batches and mailings are when AADSAS bundles all the newly completed and updated applications into one nice file. It's a Microsoft Access database file (.db) packed up into a .zip file. It's actually a growing file of all completed and updated apps. Duplicates and updated applications are handled as they import locally. When there's a mailing, schools can log on to their AADSAS portal and go to the mailings tab and there it is for download. That new database file can then be imported into their Admissions Client. It's basically a nice little interface with this Access database file behind the scenes. This is where they can filter to their heart's content. And being a database file, schools can develop their own system nd manipulate the data how they choose as well. GPA and DAT? As easy as clicking the header of any score or GPA column...kind of like in Excel. Want to give the kids who went to the Ivy's a 5% increase in GPA? Easy. Schools who use their own scoring systems can apply normalization to your application (T-scores, Z-scores) that immediately update each applicant's score when new applicants are added to their applicant pool. If a school uses this sort of approach, you can see where the 'apply early' thing is true. I wondered why I was interviewing at Temple when they mentioned average DAT scores at the interview. I was a good amount below. But we were later told they take the cream of the crop as the cycle goes on. Being in first batch and having a high GPA is what put me in that creamy layer. Had I applied later, my name may have never even been looked at: auto-filtered to the bottom of the list on import. Come December or January, schools who require the full list of pre-reqs (A&P, BCH, Mico) may wish to only see applicants who have all three or at least 2 of the 3 as they may think it's not possible for applicants missing all three to complete them before a potential matriculation. The options go on and on with how they can filter and analyze without even getting into the 'real you' stuff like ECs, dental experience, personal statement, etc: ethnicity, residency, workload analysis. That's the beauty of databases. Other features like 2x2 import, form letter creation, avery label generation, contact log for those kids who call every two days, interview scheduling, etc are available.

I know all schools don't use this client and I'd hope that those who do don't process everyone very heavily. But there was a lot of development into this process for a reason (you have Buffalo to thank since it was their in-house program before it morphed into something all schools could use). Some use their own portals/systems. But it's not far-fetched or some myth of SDN to believe that we are just put through a machine a lot of times. Down the road, perhaps at the interview or when they are picking acceptances out of interviewees is when we may emerge from that massive pool of applicants.

Sorry to go on and on. But the info should be put out there.

Reactions: 1 user
You're fine. Start worrying after December.

Great post Jeffity! thanks for taking all that time to explain the entire reality of admissions!

I just want to weigh in with my thoughts on the matter, specifically with regards to stats. Not specifically addressed to either of you, just thoughts that come to mind when I read posts sometimes. Is what I say fact? Maybe not. But it's hardly just made up. I realize that the notion that all the hard work we put into our applications being simplified to a mechanical, lifeless process is very annoying. Almost offensive. In the back of my mind, I like to think that every school out there gives every application a fair look and does't just look at the numbers. Surely they will look past the 2.8GPA and take a moment to read my PS so they can see where my heart is before adding me to the queue of reject letters. I mean, it's only 4500 characters. That might work for Georgia or Tennessee or ECU - schools with only hundreds of applications might have time for that. But then you have schools like NYU with close to 5,000 applications. 'Filter' might be a harsh term, but how else do you process 5,000 applications? A third of the schools pull in 2,000 plus applications per year. That's massive. Last cycle, there were 116,024 applications submitted (11,655 applications averaging 9.95 applications each). I really wish it were otherwise, but it's just not reasonable to think they are not filtering applicants. I like that they have added this coversheet. It does lead you to believe that they are reviewing you holistically, but not everyone is going to have their coversheet reviewed. Even that isn't practical in the early stages.

This is a DAT/GPA game. What better way to crunch those numbers than on a computer? Only a handful of schools explicitly state cutoffs for DAT. And many who state a GPA minimum are so terribly low that it's rarely mentioned. Behind the scenes they can filter anyone they want (and probably why the majority don't have hard cut-offs). Right out of the gates, you see a lot of the sub-3.0s getting the immediate rejects - that auto-reject is the product of filtering the applications by GPA. ASDOH is an example. Those applications go through the AT Still main campus in Missouri. They are explicit in telling you that you will receive a secondary if you meet a minimum GPA standard. ASDOH in AZ doesn't even see your application before it goes through there. They're not reading statements and assessing volunteer hours in Missouri. They're filtering. You see a handful of schools crank out secondaries just hours after the first batch goes out. All a product of filtering on stats.

Bear with me on this part. As for the whole 'batch' and 'date mailed' thing, I'm sure almost everyone on SDN knows by now that applications are not literally mailed to schools where they sort them into nice stacks of 'yes', 'no', 'maybe', 'waiting on DAT', etc. It's all digital. Schools can see your apps immediately. They have an admissions portal that looks just like your AADSAS portal. You don't even have to submit. As soon as you start an application, all you have to do is select a school name and that school instantly has access to your name and email. I doubt they do anything with that info at that point. They can see when you started your application, when you submitted, if you're waiting on letters, etc. Pretty much what you see, but at varying quantity as you progress through the stages to a 'completed application'. Some schools work off of this a lot. I saw the online portal actually pulled up at my interview because he wanted to see my DAT scores. Ever wonder how Case pulls of emailing those interested in the program before the first batch goes out? This is a nice little system, but it's the Admissions Client that gets gnarly. This is an actual application, not just the online portal. Batches and mailings are when AADSAS bundles all the newly completed and updated applications into one nice file. It's a Microsoft Access database file (.db) packed up into a .zip file. It's actually a growing file of all completed and updated apps. Duplicates and updated applications are handled as they import locally. When there's a mailing, schools can log on to their AADSAS portal and go to the mailings tab and there it is for download. That new database file can then be imported into their Admissions Client. It's basically a nice little interface with this Access database file behind the scenes. This is where they can filter to their heart's content. And being a database file, schools can develop their own system nd manipulate the data how they choose as well. GPA and DAT? As easy as clicking the header of any score or GPA column...kind of like in Excel. Want to give the kids who went to the Ivy's a 5% increase in GPA? Easy. Schools who use their own scoring systems can apply normalization to your application (T-scores, Z-scores) that immediately update each applicant's score when new applicants are added to their applicant pool. If a school uses this sort of approach, you can see where the 'apply early' thing is true. I wondered why I was interviewing at Temple when they mentioned average DAT scores at the interview. I was a good amount below. But we were later told they take the cream of the crop as the cycle goes on. Being in first batch and having a high GPA is what put me in that creamy layer. Had I applied later, my name may have never even been looked at: auto-filtered to the bottom of the list on import. Come December or January, schools who require the full list of pre-reqs (A&P, BCH, Mico) may wish to only see applicants who have all three or at least 2 of the 3 as they may think it's not possible for applicants missing all three to complete them before a potential matriculation. The options go on and on with how they can filter and analyze without even getting into the 'real you' stuff like ECs, dental experience, personal statement, etc: ethnicity, residency, workload analysis. That's the beauty of databases. Other features like 2x2 import, form letter creation, avery label generation, contact log for those kids who call every two days, interview scheduling, etc are available.

I know all schools don't use this client and I'd hope that those who do don't process everyone very heavily. But there was a lot of development into this process for a reason (you have Buffalo to thank since it was their in-house program before it morphed into something all schools could use). Some use their own portals/systems. But it's not far-fetched or some myth of SDN to believe that we are just put through a machine a lot of times. Down the road, perhaps at the interview or when they are picking acceptances out of interviewees is when we may emerge from that massive pool of applicants.

I feel the same.. :( .. I believe that schools have a cut off and if you don't have what they want, they don't even open your application to review the rest of things you have accomplished in life!! Its sad that we have to send EXTRA $$ for them to open our application and they don't review everyones.. I am sure there is no way they can review 5000 application, like I feel they encourage applicants to apply eventhough they know there is no way for interview.. why? because they making $$$ just from applications process, let's say 80$ per 5000 applicants.. how much is that ? wow, they just made 400K only on applications Haha

...wow, average joe you are not.

Don't worry too much yet. I got in last cycle and didn't get the majority of my interviews until post-dec. My stats are competitive and never gave up hope. It is stressful having such late interviews but I would definitely keep my head UP!

Let me quickly clarify and apologize for my post above. I was not trying to attack anyone, or be a dick, I have just seen a couple of things on SDN lately that are completely false and that make SDN lose its credibility. I'm not saying that Periopocket's post was completely erroneous, or that he doesn't know what he is talking about, I just think one should be cautious in stating information that there is not solid evidence to back up.

For example, I saw someone post saying that it is a FACT that dental schools DO NOT accept CC Credits. This is obviously false, yet someone was misinformed and therefore posted false information, which may or may not have been seen by other people who may or may not have believed this.

This is what bothers me, when people post things that they think are "facts," but do not have any hard evidence to back this up. A lot of people use this site to gain knowledge of the application process, and as pre-dental students it is our duty to aid this cause, and do so in a responsible manner, i.e., if there is something that is debatable, say your thoughts, and explain why you think them, don't simply state it is a "fact."

I hope this didn't come across as rude, these are just my thoughts and in no way are they facts :). Good luck to everyone this cycle, and again my apologies Periopocket for coming across as rude.

Very informative!

After the filters they are left with x amount of potentials and I guess that's when real human beings read personal statements and LOR's?

Very informative!

After the filters they are left with x amount of potentials and I guess that's when real human beings read personal statements and LOR's?

ONE WOULD HOPE!!!!!!!:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I am also 9th batch and haven't heard anything back since Nova, which was 4 weeks ago. I have a 20AA and a solid gpa. don't feel bad. I called a few schools and they told me they are back logged so it's been taking them awhile. I am a second year applicant and I felt like things are much slower this time of year than last. I am feeling the same hopelessness that you are however...

yep 9th batcher here as well. i haven't heard a thing. i think we have a bit before we can start worrying.