ASOPRS application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sven

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone else out there applying to oculoplastics fellowship? It seems like a thread gets going about this time every year...

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I'm in the mix...I applied to all of them and only heard from Wake Forest so far...I hope it's still early. Anyone else heard from any of the programs?

Hoping it's sill quite early in the process as well. I've heard from Anderson but no one else yet. I do know that Bascom doesn't interview until very late...

Members don't see this ad :)
MD Anderson or Richard Anderson?

Sorry! Richard. Haven't heard anything about the Esmaeli fellowship...

Colorado has offered interviews...
Otherwise still very quiet on my end. I must not be a very good candidate. Good luck to you!

Haha. Just got my Colorado rejection. Misery loves company...

University of Colorado (Dr. Durairaj)
Wake Forest University (Dr. Yeatts)
Baylor University (Dr. Yen)
University of Illinois (Dr. Putterman)

University of Michigan (Dr Nelson)
SLU/Wash U (Dr Holds)
Pacific Eye (Dr Seif)
Center for Facial Appearances (Dr Anderson)

University of Michigan (Dr Nelson)
SLU/Wash U (Dr Holds)
Pacific Eye (Dr Seif)
Center for Facial Appearances (Dr Anderson)
The Krieger Eye Institute (Dr. Karesh)

University of Michigan (Dr. Nelson)
SLU/Wash U (Dr. Holds)
Pacific Eye (Dr. Seif)
Center for Facial Appearances (Dr. Anderson)
Cincinnati Eye Institute (Dr. Nerad)
MD Anderson (Dr. Esmaeli)

SLU/Wash U (Dr. Holds)
Pacific Eye (Dr. Seif)
Jules Stein (Dr.Shorr)

SLU/Wash U (Dr. Holds)
Pacific Eye (Dr. Seif)
Jules Stein (Dr.Shorr)
Johns Hopkins/Wilmer (Dr. Merbs)
Ohio State University (Dr. Cahill)
Wayne State University/Consultants in Ophthalmic and Facial Plastic Surgery (Dr. Black/Nesi)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
MD Anderson is offering interviews on a rolling basis, for those who have not heard from them yet.

Does anyone have a sense of which interview days are bigger? It would be nice to actually meet some co-applicants at some point...

Does anyone have a sense of which interview days are bigger? It would be nice to actually meet some co-applicants at some point...

I agree, I have only met one person so far. I think kresge just has one interview day. Krieger is just two days. Cpmc has 4 people at each visit.

SLU/Wash U (Dr. Holds)
Pacific Eye (Dr. Seif)
Jules Stein (Dr.Shorr)
Wayne State University/Consultants in Ophthalmic and Facial Plastic Surgery (Dr. Black/Nesi)
Cleveland Clinic Cole eye (Dr. Perry)

I agree, I have only met one person so far. I think kresge just has one interview day. Krieger is just two days. Cpmc has 4 people at each visit.

I hear Seiff has pretty big interview days as well. Michigan I think may be 2 per day. Not sure about most of the others...

I hear Seiff has pretty big interview days as well. Michigan I think may be 2 per day. Not sure about most of the others...

Looks like Ohio State has only two days as well.

Kresge just sent out a letter, apparently, they have a wet lab to test your suturing skils....any other places do that?

Haha! Thats pretty amusing, actually. One of the interviewers at my residency program used to have people do a rhexis on a grape before others got wind of it and made her stop. I haven't actually heard of any other places that have surgical skills evaluation for OCP interviews... It's probably more a test of your poise and grace under pressure than anything else.

SLU/Wash U (Dr. Holds)
Pacific Eye (Dr. Seif)
Jules Stein (Dr.Shorr)
Cleveland Clinic Cole eye (Dr. Perry)
Wills Eye (Dr. Stefanyszyn)

Where can I go to get good advice about how to prepare for ASOPRS applications? I realize this is probably the wrong thread to ask for this kind of advice, so can someone point me the right direction?

What kind of advice are you looking for? Are you applying in the upcoming match cycle, or just interested in how to get started?

What kind of advice are you looking for? Are you applying in the upcoming match cycle, or just interested in how to get started?
I'm just interested in how to get started. I'm starting residency June 2014.

This was my basic approach:

1) Spend the first 6 months really tackling your basic ophtho competencies. If there's time on top of this, try and interact a bit with the OCP faculty to make sure that you really want to commit. Unfortunately, at most places you'll have to decide before having extensive experience as an intraocular surgeon.

2) Prioritize the first year OKAPs and start studying a few months in (after this you'll have two rounds that don't count for anything). Now with the SF Match, all programs will see your scores whether they specifically ask for them or not. While this seems like a stupid thing to focus on, preceptors will definitely notice your scores if they're particularly good or bad. I'd suggest OphthoQuestions (USMLE world -type question bank) and a review like Chern or Friedman. Read the BCSC books that interest you, but this is not an efficient means of preparation.

3) After 6 months to a year, start working on some research with a faculty mentor. Try and do a few case reports here and there if the opportunities arise. Try and submit something to the ASOPRS fall meeting (deadline end of May of your first year).