USMLE images

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zuhal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
68 yo male patient presents to your clinic with postprandial pain. X-ray below, whats the dx?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,063
RenalSlide23-1.png

This was obtained at autopsy. The patient was suffering from edema and recurrent infections, and died from a pulmonary embolism.

Diagnosis prease?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't recall sattar mentioning this for some reason...just know that all the AMLs have mpo which differentiates it from ALL

It's a very short segment, but he emphasizes lack of MPO in AML-M5 monoblasts

might as well add it for everyone:
This: They are often painful, and the pain is reproduced when the lesion is placed in cold water?

Yes, that, thanks. Didn't want to put it up there until the question was answered, but wanted to say something lest I forget. Could see it as maybe being used as a buzz phrase distracter for Raynaud's

mcc of death in sle patients is renal failure and infections, not pe

Right but I see subendo deposits which are seen w/ diffuse proliferative glomerulonephritis which is seen in pt's with SLE.
SLE is a hypercoaguable state so I wouldn't be very surprised if this does turn out to be an SLE pt.

Right but I see subendo deposits which are seen w/ diffuse proliferative glomerulonephritis which is seen in pt's with SLE.
SLE is a hypercoaguable state so I wouldn't be very surprised if this does turn out to be an SLE pt.

ahh good point...hard to see those details on a phone...

Members don't see this ad :)
that was a good one... a little hard tho, had no idea what iron poisoning looked like in xray

that was a good one... a little hard tho, had no idea what iron poisoning looked like in xray

Good job!
HY for MCCEEs, not sure about the USMLE but thought i'd throw it out there just in case.

Is that the answer? It fits the equation but I'm confused why a kid would be more likely to have iron poisoning

Is that the answer? It fits the equation but I'm confused why a kid would be more likely to have iron poisoning

Children make up the majority of those with potentially toxic iron exposures, because they may be attracted to the bright color and sugar coating of the tablets, iron tablets left over from pregnancy may be present in homes with toddlers, and iron may not be considered a poison and thus may be stored unsafely.1–3 Fortunately, most children remain asymptomatic or develop only minimal toxicity following exposure.

From an emergency medicine text

From an emergency medicine text

Lol, here I am trying to think of the different mechanisms in kids vs adults or tying it back to lead poisoning and inhibition of hemoglobin leading to an increase of iron...all along the answer is "because they like sugar and bright colors". Sometimes I want to punch med school in the face

Lol, here I am trying to think of the different mechanisms in kids vs adults or tying it back to lead poisoning and inhibition of hemoglobin leading to an increase of iron...all along the answer is "because they like sugar and bright colors". Sometimes I want to punch med school in the face

same thing for ethylene glycol...color is blue...and apparently it tastes like kool-aid..

Ya I was trying to describe some of the weirder nephrotic symptoms (to eliminate SLE) just to reinforce them + subendothelial deposits = MPGN type 1 with tram tracking and all that. But I guess infections, embolism, and edema might be part of SLE too

same thing for ethylene glycol...color is blue...and apparently it tastes like kool-aid..

Yeah, I knew this one because the wife and I are big pet people. Don't want them drinking radiator fluid, fairly common way pets commit seppuku

It's a very short segment, but he emphasizes lack of MPO in AML-M5 monoblasts

Yes, that, thanks. Didn't want to put it up there until the question was answered, but wanted to say something lest I forget. Could see it as maybe being used as a buzz phrase distracter for Raynaud's

M = myeloid cell line (everything besides lymphocytes). Think of MPO as being neutrophil specific like P-ANCA (anti neutrophil Ab against MPO). Since this AML is specifically monoblasts (which diff. into monocytes), you won't have MPO.

LOL...also I remember my professor saying they sometime coat iron pill so that its sweet...all that doesn't matter... kids will put anything in their mouth.

yeah...when i tell you...it'll be "wtf"

lets see if addo or zuhal can solve this...

Do I see CMV owl's eyes? Is PML ever the major cause of death in AIDS? If so, what's the CD4 cutoff that that's true for?

Edit: I may completely off base. lol

Never wouldve gotten that. Ruling pathology out of my future now

relax, dude is way off

Do I see CMV owl's eyes? Is PML ever the major cause of death in AIDS? If so, what's the CD4 cutoff that that's true for?

Edit: I may completely off base. lol

Unfortunately, no CMV. CD4 count is normal.

It's all good, it's a learning experience. You should see some of the potato answers I've given for some of these things, lol.

A similar picture showed up in UWorld and I think there was a pretty high percentage of people getting it right. One liner question...and nothing else...felt like a potato.

relax, dude is way off

Unfortunately, no CMV. CD4 count is normal.

It's all good, it's a learning experience. You should see some of the potato answers I've given for some of these things, lol.

A similar picture showed up in UWorld and I think there was a pretty high percentage of people getting it right. One liner question...and nothing else...felt like a potato.

Give us the multiple choice answers that UW had and we'd probably do alright as well.

My random BS guess is Rabies. Of course this is assuming this is anything but "classical"

Give us the multiple choice answers that UW had and we'd probably do alright as well.

My random BS guess is Rabies. Of course this is assuming this is anything but "classical"

yeah tried to look it up can't find it...

but answer is myocarditis is the mcc of death...the picture is aschoff-bodies.

Heh, swear to god that was my initial reaction to that picture but once everyone started mentioning brain stuff I thought I was WAY off base. I think USMLErx has a similar pic, why I originally had that reaction

oh man I knew the long cells with dark nuclei kind of looked like antiskow (spelling?) cells but the MCC death threw me off. I started thinking micro.
Good question!

Heh, swear to god that was my initial reaction to that picture but once everyone started mentioning brain stuff I thought I was WAY off base. I think USMLErx has a similar pic, why I originally had that reaction

Totally hear ya on that one..I guess they really mean it when they say "don't change your answer"!

Is that the canadian equivalent of the usmle?

Yes that's right. I'm not taking it anytime soon though.