Nontraditional Hair Color-Male

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Warrenc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some (most?) consider medicine-- and professional jobs etc-- to be conservative.

My hair is relatively short but I've always wanted to get a gray/white streak or two (no more- not weird highlights all over, just one or two in the front of my hair).

My hair is dark brown/black-- I have Asian heritage, but am a caucasian male (Though I've been told I'm exotic :laugh: )

So, how would it look with one or two streaks (that blend in well with my hair at the front) if I'm considered for an interview (either job or medical school)? Not physically-- how would I be perceived? I would imagine that there would be a trend of appearing unprofessional and/or not serious about the career path etc.

I think people who aren't afraid to do nontrad things with their appearance- if not too extreme- are badass. I think the statement of someone with a professional demeanor, but with a little bit of a flare, is the reason why I want to do it. I've never had much of a punk-rock phase with my appearance, but always wanted to.

Thoughts :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

I think you would be best off waiting until after you get in. Sorry to say it but "punk-rock phase" is probably not the most professional vibe to give off in a traditional interview setting.

it would look pretty weird and i would not hire you because i do not like weirdos

:banana:

I think you would be best off waiting until after you get in. Sorry to say it but "punk-rock phase" is probably not the most professional vibe to give off in a traditional interview setting.

+1.

Though I wouldnt have said it the same way as L.Rex, I agree with him and Bluelabel. High risk, no reward.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know some (most?) consider medicine-- and professional jobs etc-- to be conservative.

My hair is relatively short but I've always wanted to get a gray/white streak or two (no more- not weird highlights all over, just one or two in the front of my hair).

My hair is dark brown/black-- I have Asian heritage, but am a caucasian male (Though I've been told I'm exotic :laugh: )

So, how would it look with one or two streaks (that blend in well with my hair at the front) if I'm considered for an interview (either job or medical school)? Not physically-- how would I be perceived? I would imagine that there would be a trend of appearing unprofessional and/or not serious about the career path etc.

I think people who aren't afraid to do nontrad things with their appearance- if not too extreme- are badass. I think the statement of someone with a professional demeanor, but with a little bit of a flare, is the reason why I want to do it. I've never had much of a punk-rock phase with my appearance, but always wanted to.

You should wait until AFTER you get into med school to do this. Then you can be that med student who also just happens to be a cool, punk-rock kinda guy. And you can go to punk rock concerts and drop the bomb that :cool: you just happen to be a med student, and everyone will all say, "Oh, man, I wasn't expecting that..." and you can revel in the fact that you may even be allowed to become an honorary member of the <100 IQ club.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I took out all my various ear piercings for the interview season and put in retainers. Was it annoying to struggle with my daith for two hours only to admit defeat and get a pro to put the retainer in for me? Yes. Am I about to do ANYTHING to jeopardize my chances at getting into as many schools as I can? No way!

It's like all the people on the interview clothing thread who want to wear something that reflects their 'style'. Who cares? It's one outfit, we should be happy to wear a potato sack and a bucket on our heads if that's what it took to look professional. I'm especially annoyed by all the women who fight against wearing hose :rolleyes:

We have all made so many sacrifices by this point to get all the stats and ECs we need to succeed in medical school. Why can't we all suck it up and reign in our appearance for the 6 month interview window :confused:

I should've done this during undergrad :smuggrin:
I agree though, it would be a ****ty way to not get into any school just because I wanted to rebel for a little bit. It would be better to do it after I get in though- agreed.

Thanks for the input all !
I'm not even expecting interviews until after the new year, so I'm tempted to go for it now (because it will grow out and will be cut after like 1.5 months)

If it's obvious, it could be a little offputting. I wouldn't risk it for interviews, but for MS1-2, you can probably dye it pink and it wouldn't affect you that much.

we should be happy to wear a potato sack and a bucket on our heads if that's what it took to look professional
part of me wishes this were true at least somewhere...

Last edited:
There was a female version of this thread a while back and half the people were trying to argue that it was okay to dye your hair any color under the sun.

I think the same now as I did then: It's risky. you might get somebody cool who likes it. You might get a 75 year old doc who thinks you're a whipper-snapper.

I say wait until you're in.

Amy-Winehouse-300x225.jpg

What I was thinking of. Literally just a splash of color. I think it looks striking and not unprofessional. :shrug:

I spent most of my teens & twenties with pink or purple hair, & I would not be.supportive of an interviewee who showed up like this. You know you have a chance of being scrutinized by conservative individuals. So if you show up like this, I seriously question your judgment. Honestly, I question your judgment for even needing to ask about this. You're not applying to art school.

I spent most of my teens & twenties with pink or purple hair, & I would not be.supportive of an interviewee who showed up like this. You know you have a chance of being scrutinized by conservative individuals. So if you show up like this, I seriously question your judgment. Honestly, I question your judgment for even needing to ask about this. You're not applying to art school.

Except I'm not walking into the adcom interviews with ****ing rainbow brite hair.......... see the above pic...... :thumbdown:

Last edited:
Except I'm not walking into the adcom interviews with ****ing rainbow bright hair.......... see the above pic...... :thumbdown:

Dude, your question has been answered the same by everyone who's posted in here.

I guess you're just looking for someone to pat you on the back for being a rebel or something? This is a premed forum where many would kill for an acceptance, so the idea of voluntarily doing something that could lower your chances for no apparent reason other than vanity is probably going to be met with some hostility.

Dude, your question has been answered the same by everyone who's posted in here.

I guess you're just looking for someone to pat you on the back for being a rebel or something? This is a premed forum where many would kill for an acceptance, so the idea of voluntarily doing something that could lower your chances for no apparent reason other than vanity is probably going to be met with some hostility.

I've already commented my agreement with everyone's opinion....... don't try to psychoanalyze me :scared: :sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ad coms don't want 'badass rebels'.

The day you start med school is the day you learn to start assimilating, doing as you're told, licking boot, etc.

Ok, probably exaggeration, but you get the idea.

This theme comes up every once in awhile. It often involves tattoos. At least your idea isn't permanent I guess.

Except I'm not walking into the adcom interviews with ****ing rainbow brite hair.......... see the above pic...... :thumbdown:

Describe yourself like a skunk, then cuss at people who respond to that. It's a forum, & my post was open before that picture was up. Do what you want. You're a gem whose attitude I'd love to have in my class.

Last edited:
Wait til after you are accepted then dye it whatever color you want. Think of it as a reward for getting in.

I take back what I said earlier. I think the adcom might think it is soooo coooool. It'll be one of those great rapport builders. It will help you stand out when she is advocating for you to the committee, "He had this awesome grey streak in his hair, guys. No, not a crazy dye job. Classy, you know, like Amy Winehouse."

Reactions: 1 user
I don't agree with most people in this thread. You need more not less. A touch of gray that resembles a bird poo will not bring you enough luck to overcome 26 on MCAT. You need a hail marry. I suggest you dye your entire had gray and then shave off the front part leaving only back and sides in the round shape. This edgy punk-rockish look, combined with those clear stylish glasses, will not only signal your maturity but will also demonstrate your commitment to the elderly. Besides you will only need light khakis and Tommy Bahamas shirt to be ready for upcoming Halloween. This will save you a fortune on the costume.

I don't agree with most people in this thread. You need more not less. A touch of gray that resembles a bird poo will not bring you enough luck to overcome 26 on MCAT. You need a hail marry. I suggest you dye your entire had gray and then shave off the front part leaving only back and sides in the round shape. This edgy punk-rockish look, combined with those clear stylish glasses, will not only signal your maturity but will also demonstrate your commitment to the elderly. Besides you will only need light khakis and Tommy Bahamas shirt to be ready for upcoming Halloween. This will save you a fortune on the costume.

This.:thumbup:

+10

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

As a girl, I've always wanted a white streak like Stacey London (still do). I think it looks so cool

However, as a person who has attended a couple interviews so far, I would advice against it. You definitely want to appear as normal as possible especially if your interviewers are more conservative...maybe wait until you're accepted

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1382469583.672504.jpg

Whether you like it or not, people will judge you even if they won't admit it. It doesn't matter if you would do it or if it is right or wrong, there are people out there that will judge negatively.

Medicine is a pretty conservative field. I'm only an M1, but during our patient simulations some of the "actors" have been pretty brutal in their comments to students about not wanting them as their doctor because of their appearance (unkept, unprofessional, etc.), body language, and how they carry themselves.

I find it silly that the closer it is in the year to interview season, the less acceptable people seem to think odd hair is.

Pro tip: Everything you've done in public since college has possibly affected your chances of getting into medical school (and residency beyond that). Start acting like a professional now and save yourself a headache.

are you going for a piebaldism look?