The Lounge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you seen the Brian Adams music video of the song called- Summer day or somethin like that? The whole video runs as a gimmick like this one!

Members don't see this ad :)
DrGarfield said:
Now tell me really- you are just tryin to get some praise for your Son´s work- Ain´t ya?? :smuggrin:

My son does a much better job than the above :laugh: :laugh:

hi guys
I don't know if you guys are familiar with the popular "mumbai dabawallas"
it is a unique system which has been working for so many years now
this bunch of people called the dabawallas deliver home cooked food to tens of thousands of people everyday in mumbai
A documentary was featured on them in the Forbes Magazine
recently two of the dabawallas were invited to Prince charles wedding
this is a great story

click here for this story

happy baisakhi to all of you and especially to Tina(hopeful) and her mom who is also a regular visitor to the SDN India Forum
baisakhi_emotional_0408_4.gif
baisakhi_general_0408_1.gif

^ Don't forget the Shava Shava!!! :laugh:

And yeah. I've heard of the dabawallas. Saw the documentary too. Very interesting too.

nimeshshingala said:
hi guys
this bunch of people called the dabawallas delever home cooked food to tens of thousands of people everyday in mumbai
this is a great story

Yeah, I know. They run a very efficient system

Ya- I suggest the Dabbawallas be given the Indian Government to run!! They will sure do a better work!!! :laugh:

And ye- Happy Baisakhi to all!!- is the spelling ok??

..thanks for the wishes..i didn't even know today was baisakhi...
i've been having a terrible time juggling all the college work..it's been the worst week ever.... and its not over yet...i have to present my research at a conference this saturday...and i'm so not ready... :( i mean i am prepared...but not ready... ;) Its a big deal to me...i so want to do it well....Pray for me you guys.... :) plzzzz :D

what is this "Dabbawallas" thing?

hopeful05 said:
..thanks for the wishes..i didn't even know today was baisakhi...
i've been having a terrible time juggling all the college work..it's been the worst week ever.... and its not over yet...i have to present my research at a conference this saturday...and i'm so not ready... :( i mean i am prepared...but not ready... ;) Its a big deal to me...i so want to do it well....Pray for me you guys.... :) plzzzz :D
I hope all goes well for you Tina! Best of luck on your presentation, I am sure you will do great. One advice I can give you is to practise saying your stuff, outloud, just so you hear everything that comes out. And time yourself (if necessary). And most importantly, stay :cool: .

And the whole "Dabbawalla", they are the people who transport lunches across Mumbai in a timely and efficient manner.

Good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dabbawallas are the lunchbox delivery men of Bombay- they collect the lunch boxes from all different parts- code them according to the area they are to be delivered at and deliver them at the time- there is rarely any fault in the sense of misplacement in the delivery, or never are they late! They are a very efficiently running organization run by mostly illiterate people!

sunny123 said:
I hope all goes well for you Tina! Best of luck on your presentation, I am sure you will do great. One advice I can give you is to practise saying your stuff, outloud, just so you hear everything that comes out. And time yourself (if necessary). And most importantly, stay :cool: .

And the whole "Dabbawalla", they are the people who transport lunches across Mumbai in a timely and efficient manner.

Good luck :luck:

Thanx Sunny, so................. much,for the wishes and the advice....
=Yeah ...I can assure you that I've already made it through countless runs in front of any audience I can possibly find :laugh: I might have lost some friends :rolleyes: ...kidding ;) I know that its important to speak things out loud..because those connections in you brain..btw the memory and motor regions strengthen..this way i won't do the a...a...um...and uh's ... Right?
Yeah i know i've got to stay cool...because I talk too fast...I do that normally too...but in a presentation talking fast= nervous...so i have to make sure i pace myself....
Wow the dabbawala thing sounds interesting...nice business plan...

DrGarfield said:
Dabbawallas are the lunchbox delivery men of Bombay- They are a very efficiently running organization run by mostly illiterate people!

That's amazing....I takes alot for a machinery with human parts to work smoothly because of well..the obvious human faults...
I guess such operations are run in other cities too..but on a much smaller scale...
Oh..and i PM' ed you back

nimeshshingala said:
hi guys
this bunch of people called the dabawallas deliver home cooked food to tens of thousands of people everyday in mumbai
this is a great story

I am very much familiar with the system because I am one of the dabbawala's customer. I can assure u people that system works and i havent had single incident of misplaced dabba in my three years experience :thumbup:

hopeful05 said:
That's amazing....I takes alot for a machinery with human parts to work smoothly because of well..the obvious human faults...
I guess such operations are run in other cities too..but on a much smaller scale...
Oh..and i PM' ed you back

Ya- such systems do work in other cities- but may be not as big scale as in Bombay- and may be not as efficient too!! Or may be everything about Bombay gets more Glamorised!
got the PM

Hey!!
BTW..my presentation at the conference went soooooooooooooooo well.
I'm so proud of myself...GO ME!!!!!

Now its time to go out and celebrate!!
:D :D

hopeful05 said:
Hey!!

proud.jpg

hopeful05 said:
Hey!!

Celebrate like it's your birthday!! Glad to hear everything went well! ;)

DrGarfield said:

ha.....wouldn't it be great though if we could all carry boards..bragging abt our achievements...and declaring our feelings..
although your visual of choice...its a gay rights mvt. thing..is it not??

sunny123 said:
Celebrate like it's your birthday!! Glad to hear everything went well! ;)

Thanks...
so hey...when are u graduating...have u decided which med school yet??

^ graduating soon, haven't been accepted anywhere yet, and right now I'm seriously considering the Carribean. I don't want to go to Phillidelphia/or stay in Toronto to do a Masters for 2 years, only to reapply all over again. I prefer to start now, and if I am destined to go, I will be posting more pics of that beach you've been dreaming about (one friend is already there, and he took those pics) :D .

I have been keeping faith that something will work out for me, and that I am destined to be in a certain place, for a certain reason. Faith in the unknown can be considered both sane and insane to so many people. But hey, we all have a little of both inside us, don't we? :laugh: So call me a pagal, and I won't mind :D .

This is where I want to be ;)
SP-215.jpg

^ If I find it, then I'll send you some pics, k? :D

hopeful05 said:
ha.....wouldn't it be great though if we could all carry boards..bragging abt our achievements...and declaring our feelings..
although your visual of choice...its a gay rights mvt. thing..is it not??

i dunnow where it is from- it came to me through Google anyways!!! ha ha

sunny123 said:
^ If I find it, then I'll send you some pics, k? :D

OK enough with the teasing...I love landscapes, and I am majorly deprived here...first you live in the beautiful and picturesque Canada....then you are planning for med school in the carribean...Don't even dare to get to my dream place before I do... :mad: :p :laugh:

^ :laugh: Ok, I'll give you a head start. Ready, set, go!

I'm waiting :D

Still waiting :laugh:

hopeful05 said:
OK enough with the teasing...I love landscapes, and I am majorly deprived here...first you live in the beautiful and picturesque Canada....then you are planning for med school in the carribean...Don't even dare to get to my dream place before I do... :mad: :p :laugh:

Where´re u stuck?

I'm stuck somewhere between my responsibilities to myself- to make something of myself..and the obligations of school work...and classes...so looks like i won't be getting anywhere near that place for the next 4 years.... :(
boring

looks like sunny has to wait a loooooooooooooooooooong time.....tick tick..tick...tick...tick....tick.....

tisk..tick...tick..tick...tick..tick.......

its official...the day i graduate from pharm school...i'm goin on a year long vacation.......

Well, seems you are going through your Career times! these are high in tension and finally most rewarding times- Enjoy!

hopeful05 said:
I'm stuck somewhere between my responsibilities to myself- to make something of myself..and the obligations of school work...and classes...so looks like i won't be getting anywhere near that place for the next 4 years.... :(
boring

looks like sunny has to wait a loooooooooooooooooooong time.....tick tick..tick...tick...tick....tick.....

tisk..tick...tick..tick...tick..tick.......

its official...the day i graduate from pharm school...i'm goin on a year long vacation.......
I cheated Tina :p

my friend took another pic
nicebeach_Small.JPG

^ that is so hottt.. where was that taken?

saffronrain said:
anyone want to take me there???? ;) :D

hey Swetha
I would love to take you there.........
Besides ,I need to pay you for your outstanding dance in my movie "Cabbie Doc MD" :laugh: :laugh:
what would you prefer ??
My private Jet
Concorde-01.gif

My Limousine
Limousine.gif___1113932182361.gif

MY BOAT
boat.gif

OR
WOULD YOU PREFER TO TAKE A RIDE IN MY BALLOON

livepencil_hotairballoon.gif

Yeah Sunny ...it's a cool pick...I can see countless shades of blues in it....imagine the real thing....it's beautiful

nimeshshingala said:
hey Swetha
I would love to take you there.........
Besides ,I need to pay you for your outstanding dance in my movie "Cabbie Doc MD" :laugh: :laugh:
what would you prefer ??
My private Jet
Concorde-01.gif

My Limousine
Limousine.gif___1113932182361.gif

MY BOAT
boat.gif

OR
WOULD YOU PREFER TO TAKE A RIDE IN MY BALLOON

livepencil_hotairballoon.gif

Hmm.. seeing as that I have a fear of heights, and that I can't swim (just in case I fall overboard) I'd prefer the limousine. Thank you! :laugh: :laugh:
GIVE ME MONEY (and the limo). :p :laugh:

Premedtomed said:
Swetha is cool name. :thumbup:

haha thank you! I'd actually prefer my name to be Sarika.. I like that one. Don't ask. :)

saffronrain said:
Hmm.. seeing as that I have a fear of heights, and that I can't swim (just in case I fall overboard)
PHP:
I'd prefer the limousine
. Thank you! :laugh: :laugh:
GIVE ME MONEY (and the limo). :p :laugh:

AT YOUR SERVICE SWETHA!!!
THE CHAUFFER DRIVEN LIMOUSINE IS WAITING FOR YOU...
chauffeur_open_close_limousine_sm_nwm.gif

I got my last exam on Wednesday, and I got 14 lectures to memorize... :(

I WANT SCHOOL TO FINISH!!!!!!! :D

sunny123 said:
I got my last exam on Wednesday, and I got 14 lectures to memorize... :(

I WANT SCHOOL TO FINISH!!!!!!! :D
3 more days and you're all done!!! Goodluck :luck:

^ Thanks to both of you, BUT.... from my post, you could see how excited I was right?? Well, it looks like I got a bit excited and made myself think that the 28th is on Wednesday, when in fact, its on the Thursday. I had a friend of mine email me, and and the end of it, she said that she'd see me on Thursday.... So I checked the exam schedule one more time, and she was right. Geeez, I got some more studying time. :D

It does´nt make it any better, take my word!

I'm an american diluted desai - not confused about jack ! :cool:

Anyway, I had some questions that weren't worthy of a new thread. My family is from A.P. so you might get an understanding of why I am naive about this stuff.

1. What is a jat singh?
2. what is a sindhi?
3. What is a sardarni?

if any of these terms are negative - i apologize in advance

Lucknow, April 23: Munnabhai MBBS has spawned a sequel in Meerut.

Two real-life Munnabhais landed in the police station yesterday for trying to fake their way into a postgraduate course for surgery in Lucknow's King George Medical College.

Prakash Rajput and Rakesh Kumar, both medical graduates like the do-gooder don played by Sanjay Dutt in the film Munnabhai MBBS, were caught red-handed by invigilators at a counselling session at Meerut Medical College.

In the film, Munnabhai cheats at entry-level and subsequently yearly exams to become a doctor but chooses to cure patients by hugs.

Rajput and Kumar, graduates from Lucknow Medical College, had appeared for the postgraduate medical entrance examination earlier this month and were ranked 10th and 17th among the 303 selected from a total of 1,000 candidates who sat for the tests.

But their luck ran out when the duo, who had opted for surgery, put their thumb impressions with a micro-plastic sheet on their thumb. When the invigilators caught them, they tried to swallow the plastic sheets.

Rajput is from Lucknow and Kumar is from Varanasi.

It is suspected the two "academically brilliant candidates" managed such high ranks by hiring dummy examinees.

"It was a neat operation of paper manipulation by the ‘Munnabhais' who hired bright postgraduate doctors to appear for the entrance examinations," a senior doctor said, adding that such candidates manufacture alternative admit cards complete with photographs of the hired doctors.

To prevent such manipulation, the postgraduate medical council has introduced the system of taking thumb impressions of each candidate, both at the written entrance test and the counselling session.

"We suspect the two MBBS doctors used micro-plastic sheets to hide their thumb impressions because the hired doctors who actually appeared for the entrance test might have used the micro-plastic sheets, too, before sitting for the test on their behalf," said Dr Kamal Sahani, director of medical education, government of Uttar Pradesh.

Sources said dummy candidates, who are senior doctors, are available for anything between Rs 2,000 and Rs 50,000 per paper. :( :oops: :laugh: