Have you tried caffeine pills??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scytale911

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question may sound stupid but currently I'm getting sick and tired of drinking coffee the morning (unless I put 10 sugar cubes in it!!). There's no way I can handle properly all day long without a stimulant so I was wondering if caffeine pills were efficient? and online stores that ship outside US
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Woah woah woah...Didn't everyone in our generation see that Saved By the Bell episode where Jesse was abusing diet pills for their caffeine?

"I'm so excited...I'm so...SCARED!"

Wasn't that really the lesson we all needed to learn?

Scytale911 said:
My question may sound stupid but currently I'm getting sick and tired of drinking coffee the morning (unless I put 10 sugar cubes in it!!). There's no way I can handle properly all day long without a stimulant so I was wondering if caffeine pills were efficient? and online stores that ship outside US
thanks

Well caffeine is caffeine in whatever form you take it, so I would say it is equally "efficient" as coffee. However I suspect that regularly taking caffeine in nondiluted pill form is going to be tougher on the digestive system.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've tried the caffeine pill before. I don't know if it really worked or not. I couldn't tell much difference. If you don't like coffee, try drinking tea.

Yeah, of course there's also the tea solution but for breakfast and bread dunking, coffee or hot chocolate are really better

I have taken caffeine pills before in undergrad. I will NEVER do it again. I tried NoDoze and Yellow Jackets. They made my heart beat really fast. I got really nervous.

That's my concern toward it, I don't wanna order for 150$ from the us to find out I feel dizzy, nauseus, or something, but I think even though it's when you take several in a row that side effects might occur or eventually when your body don't stand caffeine.

Larsitron said:
Woah woah woah...Didn't everyone in our generation see that Saved By the Bell episode where Jesse was abusing diet pills for their caffeine?

oh yeah, loved that episode. Poor Jesse, she was such an overachiever...but, at least she had Slater (the dumb jock who could dance)for a boyfriend. Too bad she ended up taking it all off in Showgirls. No wait, that was awesome!

Sparky Man said:
oh yeah, loved that episode. Poor Jesse, she was such an overachiever...but, at least she had Slater (the dumb jock who could dance)for a boyfriend. Too bad she ended up taking it all off in Showgirls. No wait, that was awesome!

Not to mention Screech ended up being the valedictorian....and then tried to pass it on to her without her knowing. :laugh:

Scytale911 said:
thanks

i used vivarian. it was great (for the first 4 days). then it wears off :( why can't good things last forever? i don't think their all that bad. they don't make your breath smell, way more convenient, and much cheaper than starbucks every day. you don't need an online store, the sell them in any supermarket.
i'd recommend them. after it wears off i don't use them for maybe 2 weeks, and then they work again.

have you tried red bull?

I took them before ephedra was taken off the market...so it may have been the ephedra and not the caffiene that made me sick. However, I am not going to try them again anyways.

Tried a couple once in high school, when I was pulling an all-nighter...didn't work, unfortunately.

I used Nodoze for my undergrad finals period last year (5 science finals in 4 days). I was sick of drinking coffee and at 4 bucks for a bottle at the university store, it seemed like the more economical and efficient way to stay awake. As long as you don't overdose like Jesse Spano, you should be just fine. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
"It's called CRACK, it's great!"
-Tyrone Biggums

Larsitron said:

DAMMIT! You beat me to it!

I saw the title of this thread and I was gonna bring up Saved by the Bell.

a resident told me the other day that they are bringing ephedra back. apparently there was some flaw in the study that proclaimed it dangerous. it's supposed to be used primarily for colds and such, but it was really handy back in my MCAT days and now it's returned in time for the Step 1 and 3rd year rotations. Perfect timing!

Three cheers for "herbal speed"!!!!

Scytale911 said:
That's my concern toward it, I don't wanna order for 150$ from the us to find out I feel dizzy, nauseus, or something, but I think even though it's when you take several in a row that side effects might occur or eventually when your body don't stand caffeine.

$150?? Why not buy a case of Mountain Dew? Dig up a few charts on caffeine in beverages and you'll probably find something you can tolerate for a LOT less.

You can actually get ephedra from many online sports/nutrition sites. (try vitamaker.com-look for product called Vasopro) It's actually ephedrine but according to government regulations can be sold OTC if listed as a "bronchodilator". Usually sold as 25 mg ephedrine combo w/200 mg guaifenesin. Many bodybuilders use it for a ephedrine/caffeine/aspirin stack when trying to whittle down the weight prior to shows. The guaifenesin is in there to keep the street kiddies from making meth out of it.

oompaloompa said:
a resident told me the other day that they are bringing ephedra back. apparently there was some flaw in the study that proclaimed it dangerous. it's supposed to be used primarily for colds and such, but it was really handy back in my MCAT days and now it's returned in time for the Step 1 and 3rd year rotations. Perfect timing!

Three cheers for "herbal speed"!!!!

To the OP, there is obviously no more danger in taking caffeine pills than there is drinking lots of coffee. Caffeine pills also offer you the advantage of knowing how much caffeine you're taking in as opposed to coffee which is highly variable.

Yes, ephedrine is still around and easy to get. Lots of places still sell straight ephedrine w/o the guaifenesin.

I personally enjoy the Ephedra Free Ripped Fuel pills! hoorah.

Try tea or chai if you don't like coffee. The reason being that you can't turn off the effects of caffeine pills or control the mg quantity you're ingesting
as well as liquid caffeine.

chameleonknight said:
I personally enjoy the Ephedra Free Ripped Fuel pills! hoorah.

How is the Red bull?? DOes that really keep you guys awake?

It has something called taurine in it...which is a non-essential amino acid..how does that help???

I took vivarin for 2 straight days ( no sleep) to cram for a bunch of tests my freshman year of undergrad. It got me through the tests and kept me alert, however, i felt the weird urge to sing songs at 3am and i could not keep still. After i stopped taking the pills I was soooo tired that i barely made it back to my dorm and i slept for a whole day. I have never taken caffiene pills since then.

I took cokoriko pills (I think it was 250 mg cafeine/), my GI did not like it, as a matter of fact I seldom take coffey, but I like tea. I don't need drugs to keep me awake.

I did watch saved by the bell and Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Alfonso where are you?

noncestvrai

They work ok, no different than coffee really, except that you can keep tabs more precisely on how much youve taken.

Vivarin works pretty well if you take it properly. Don't take the whole pill in one shot, but take a half pill, and then quarter pills when you feel the effects wearing off. This is similar to drinking a cup of coffee, and then sipping throughout (assuming vivarin is 200mg and coffee is 100mg). Be careful though as stimulants can be addictive. I did the Vivaring thing in undergrad and found it hard to stop after finals. I was always tired when I didn't take the Vivarin. Don't do this until the end (or you have a week to recover).

Ephedrine can be purchased as a poster said, but that stuff is pretty dangerous/addictive. Once you get on it, it is hard to come off. I personally know people that got hooked on it and took it for months without stopping (ECA stacks).

Try to avoid such situations if you can... stimulants can be addictive... study further in advance :)

Why use pills when you can drink coffee! No, never tried them and when I think of this topic, I remember the episode on saved by the bell that someone mentioned earlier.

Sometime when and only when we don't have a solution for a problem in allopathy we can perhaps try other things.
If your tiredness is without any apparent reason( for example overwork), try yoga meditation, it's not a drug of course so can't have anysideeffects.

i liked the saved by the bell post waay back. yes i did see it :)

as far as the op's questions:

- coffee has actually been proven to be beneficial for health (in moderate amounts, stay within 16-24 oz a day)

- if you are "addicted" and drink 4 lattes a day (8 expressos), then give you body a rest from it...go cold turkey for 2 weeks. either a) you'll quit all together, or b) start up slower after 2 weeks and you body will handle the lower tolerance...and maybe 1 cup or coffee, or 1 latte, or a moderate amount would be sufficient as safe.

- caffeine pills may have the same "effect" as coffee or equiv amount of tea...but think about the form you are puting into your body. the pill will absorb at a different rate than a cup of coffee (depending on the duration of your sips)...plus one is a pill and the other is a liquid. there MAY be side effects, after all cafeine is a drug, not a vitamin or mineral.

- Tea...one of natures most nature herbal remedies for a whole range of illnesses...including drowsiness. tea caffeine is not per se the same as coffees. because not all teas have the same ammount of caffeine. whereas just about all coffee brands now adays have a standard mg of caffeine.

Im indian, so ive naturally been brought up around a lot of tea, and love to drink it myself. I would recommend experimenting with a variety of green, oolong, and black teas. each have a different degree of caffeine in it. not the mention its a whole lot cheaper than cafeine pills or a pound of coffee.

sometimes I add milk to my tea, it brings it a new flavor, and never makes it boring and bland every time.

- Someone mentioned Yoga, this is also an excellent alternative, but being a med student...im sure this is going to be hard to commit to.