AACOM submissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HessExpress

Holy Macaroni
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who is hardcore here and already submitted aacom. Or do we have to wait until we get our mcat scores?

Members don't see this ad.

HessExpress said:
Who is hardcore here and already submitted aacom. Or do we have to wait until we get our mcat scores?

No, you don't have to wait until you get your MCAT scores.

The AACOMAS website states that the application process will begin in early May and you are unable to submit for the 2005 cycle right now.

I just started my PS thought.
:D

Members don't see this ad :)
i filled out pretty much the whole aacomas thing, just the school codes won't freakin load. DAMMIT!

HessExpress said:
i filled out pretty much the whole aacomas thing, just the school codes won't freakin load. DAMMIT!

I think you will have to redo it when AACOMAS opens up for 2006. Maybe I'm wrong.

https://aacomas.aacom.org/

"Please note: this application is only for the 2005 entering class - the 2006 application is scheduled to be available in early May. "

i think that's just some warning they left on the screen. if you logon into our account and choose college designations, 2005 is now listed as a previous year you applied, hence new cycle.

stoleyerscrubz said:
The AACOMAS website states that the application process will begin in early May and you are unable to submit for the 2005 cycle right now.

I just started my PS thought.
:D

That is correct. It is too late to submit for 2005. The 2006 application is available as of today. (May 3rd.)

Guess I have some work to do. Being on SDN helps you be the first in line for signing up for the MCAT and logging onto AACOMAS and AMCAS!!

:thumbup:

OSUdoc08 said:
That is correct. It is too late to submit for 2005. The 2006 application is available as of today. (May 3rd.)

Hey OSUdoc! Are you completing the Postbacc program there or are you
attending the med school this year? I just visited last week.

You do have to re-do everything. I just tried to log-on into my old
account. I knoe AAMCAS saves your info and you just have to update.

lol yeah the OP filled out the 2005 app. the 2006 one is all new. but yes i cannot get the darn school code thing?

The message is gone now so I guess everything is a go. No idea about people who started the application earlier.

crys20 said:
lol yeah the OP filled out the 2005 app. the 2006 one is all new. but yes i cannot get the darn school code thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
lian22 said:
Hey OSUdoc! Are you completing the Postbacc program there or are you
attending the med school this year? I just visited last week.

No, just a regular medical student.

So does any one actually know for a fact that there is a new application?
By the way calling AACOMAS is of no help. It is like calling an ald repair shop in an old town

Yeah, there is a new application. I started it yesterday. It has all the listings with deadlines of spring 2006 so it IS the new one. Hope this helps to clear things up a little bit.

It's probably jjust me, but this application is not nearly as complex as I was expecting it to be. I mean, filling out an application for an health committee lor from my school was like 15 pages and most of it was paragraph form.

Good show.

It is weird, tho, how AACOM doesn't say that the app is for the 2006 class. The only way I knew is my old login didn't work. I never did submit last year, but I hoped it would save my information!

How are you guys entering the course names on the application? It seems like most of mine don't fit (for example: Introduction to Language in the Social Sciences). Or do you put, like Linguistics 202? Are you guys using abbreviations or just typing until you run out of room, etc?

HessExpress said:

I submitted before I got my MCAT scores. Actually, I took the August MCAT last year so I didn't want to wait. I think I even had secondaries done before the score was released. They sent me secondaries in spite of not having my MCAT scores.

The school code pop-up is not compatible with Macs--I called and asked. You can try and disable your pop-up blocker. I had to use my PC at work.

Can we submit yet?

newbie04 said:
The school code pop-up is not compatible with Macs--I called and asked. You can try and disable your pop-up blocker. I had to use my PC at work.

Can we submit yet?

Not 'til June 1st I believe.

for the personal comments...can we use the same personal comments on the secondary applications?

HessExpress said:
for the personal comments...can we use the same personal comments on the secondary applications?

I don't think med schools want you to send them the same essay twice.

They'd probably throw your application in the trash.

crys20 said:
How are you guys entering the course names on the application? It seems like most of mine don't fit (for example: Introduction to Language in the Social Sciences). Or do you put, like Linguistics 202? Are you guys using abbreviations or just typing until you run out of room, etc?

I have a similar problem with the course number. The numbers from my school, things like BI190 and CH241, don't fit because they have too many characters. I assume I leave off the letter and just list the numerical part even though this mean the department is no longer identified?

Also, any idea how I would list a college class I took during my senior year of high school? In the AMCAS, high school is a choice for the equivalent of academic status, but not for AACOM. Any wisdom?

Thanks

SallyFlo said:
I have a similar problem with the course number. The numbers from my school, things like BI190 and CH241, don't fit because they have too many characters. I assume I leave off the letter and just list the numerical part even though this mean the department is no longer identified?

Also, any idea how I would list a college class I took during my senior year of high school? In the AMCAS, high school is a choice for the equivalent of academic status, but not for AACOM. Any wisdom?

Thanks

You cannot list a college course taken in high school unless it was taken for dual credit at a college. If this is in fact the case, you must list that college for which you recieved credit for the course.

As far as the courses are concerned, most colleges use a 3 letter abbreviation with a 4 number designation (i.e. BIO 1301.) It appears as though your abbreviation is in fact shorter. If you cannot however fit the full course number, the department is more important than the number, since the numbers are inconsistent in meaning.

The schools will recieve your transcripts to verify anyway.

SallyFlo said:

Thanks

For my college course that I took senior year of HS I put the semester and the year that I took it...just like you do for the other courses. They will understand why you only have 8 credits for a specific year. Plus they DO get all your transcripts!

OSUdoc08 said:
As far as the courses are concerned, most colleges use a 3 letter abbreviation with a 4 number designation (i.e. BIO 1301.) It appears as though your abbreviation is in fact shorter. If you cannot however fit the full course number, the department is more important than the number, since the numbers are inconsistent in meaning.

My problem is that this particular field allows me to enter a maximum of four characters. That would mean entering BIO1 for this example? Am I the only one having this problem?? :confused:

I just put them in as B101, B102, C201, B504...ect..

You put the course name right next to it so it dosnt matter too much. I just think they want to see what level the class is.... 100, 200, 300, ect.

I was wondering about that...how did other people enter the academic course numbers??? I just entered 100, 200, 300, etc, without any letters before it.

I guess it probably isn't even important.

HessExpress said:
I was wondering about that...how did other people enter the academic course numbers??? I just entered 100, 200, 300, etc, without any letters before it.

I guess it probably isn't even important.

I am doing the same thing. I figured they will be able to figure out what type of class it is by looking at the Course Title.

If there is a letter and it fits in the allotted space, im pretty sure I entered it last year.

how do you tell when aacomas has received a tanscript?

crys20 said:
how do you tell when aacomas has received a tanscript?

I'm wondering the same thing, because I'm ready to send in my forms to colleges for transcript requests.

I have additional questions related to the AACOMAS application:

1. How do you classify a class that was full-year (September to April)? Is that an interim semester, or do you enter it just as a fall semester?

2. I'ma Canadian applicant who went to a Canadian university where we do not use semester hours. Full year courses were given the value of 6.0, even those with labs (Bio, Chem, Orgo, etc). I don't want AACOMAS to think that I didnt fulfill the "8.0 semester hour" requirements of the pre-reqs, so how do I get around this?

Thanks for your help! :)

bump...do any former applicants know how to tell if aacomas has received a transcript?

Im pretty sure they let you know.

You can always call them.

crys20 said:
bump...do any former applicants know how to tell if aacomas has received a transcript?

It should say it on there. Log in to check the status of the application, and it should have it there.

Hey, I have a question about entering semester hours for classes. My school gave all classes one credit for all classes, even those with lab. So my orgo class which had three hours of lecture and a 4 hour lab was only 1 credit. So was my philosophy class that met for 3 hours a week. How do I determine what classes are 3 credit and which are 4 credit? It seems that AACOMAS wants it this way so I would be interested in knowing what to do. Thanks

crys20 said:

After you have submitted your application, you can no longer log on to that application. You can check the status of your application (same login) on a different site AND this is where you can see when your transcripts arrive and when your apps have been sent to your schools.

Thanks guys for the help. 2/3 of my transcripts I already requested and AMCAS has them...So I can assume AACOMAS does too and I'll know for sure after submitting. Thanks again :)

I'm filling out the application now. Is there a way to see what your calculated GPA is in the system before submitting? I made an excel spreadsheet and want to compare what GPA they calculated to what I calculated on my spreadsheet. Thanks!

I'm filling out the application now. Is there a way to see what your calculated GPA is in the system before submitting? I made an excel spreadsheet and want to compare what GPA they calculated to what I calculated on my spreadsheet. Thanks!

stoleyerscrubz said:

You will have to submit it. Once processed, your GPA will show up. This is what I'm guessing, this is my first application cycle. I think it is generally lower than the one you calculated with EXCEL because mine is higher compared to the school's, by 0.01-0.03.

stoleyerscrubz said:

In the help menu, they tell you how they calculate your GPA (ie, what an A- is worth, etc)... if you use this guide, it should be the same as your excel sheet.

nvshelat said:
In the help menu, they tell you how they calculate your GPA (ie, what an A- is worth, etc)... if you use this guide, it should be the same as your excel sheet.

An excel sheet for filling out the application,at least the grade stuff.. hmm, that sounds like a wonderful thing to pass around the board. *hint hint*

here is my excel spread sheet. I'm sure there are better versions out there. I had to teach myself excel with the online help menu and with websites I found on the web so I'm sure there are better versions of this. A friend had an excel diet calculator and I tried using that to get some help.

save it and then copy it and rename it. then start entering data. It is simple to figure out if you used a spreadsheet just once which was my case.
1.On my template I group the grades by college attended
2.BCP(biology,chemistry, other science, and physics) grades go into the first 3 colums.
3. all other grades(including math) in the last 3 colums.
4. you must do the math for the "G points" (grade points). I could not figure out the proper excel parameters to do calculations in a row.
5.right-click to delete or insert new rows and this should keep the calculator working. right click on the number of the row. the numbers are on the far left column. don't do any insertions in columns and don't do insertions near the GPA calculations at the bottom.
6 At the bottom you have your science GPA and overall GPA.There are only 6 total calculations in the whole spreadsheet.
7 you can make notes under the GPA calculations and it will not change your calculations. I kept track of repeat grades here. :(
8. To make it easier to read I highlighted the college names in gray.Right click on the number(on far left column) of the row you want to highlight. FORMAT CELLS->PATTERNS->pick your color.

write over what is in the sample spreadsheet or delete the rows by RIGHT CLICK on the number of that row->DELETE

This is now community property so feel free to tweak it and repost it. having the spreadsheet figure out your grade points automatically would be nice. Don't forget to rename it though.

philic1013 said:
An excel sheet for filling out the application,at least the grade stuff.. hmm, that sounds like a wonderful thing to pass around the board. *hint hint*

Attachments

• AACOMAS.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,265
I have one but do not know how to attach excel file. It would not let me.

you have to make it a .zip file. This site does not take files with the .xls extension.

FutureDocDO said:
I have one but do not know how to attach excel file. It would not let me.

anyone know how we calculate labs in the middle of all this? since labs are usually 1 or 2 credits only...does that make a difference?