Biochem Q for smart person

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kluver_Bucy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if a tRNA has met-tRNA-ser what amino acid is added to the growing peptide. Is it serine or methionine? The ser is suppose to be superscripted. Thanks so much.

Also, does anyone know why hypophosphatemia leads to gout. Thanks for everyones support on SDN! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure about the tRNA question.

Low levels of phosphate activate adenosine deaminase, which converts AMP to IMP. Remember that without phosphate, AMP cannot by converted to ADP and to ATP. The base of IMP, hypoxanthine, is degraded to uric acid. Uric acid accumulation can, but does not always, lead to gout.

Kluver_Bucy said:
Anyone know if a tRNA has met-tRNA-ser what amino acid is added to the growing peptide. Is it serine or methionine? The ser is suppose to be superscripted. Thanks so much.

Also, does anyone know why hypophosphatemia leads to gout. Thanks for everyones support on SDN! :luck:

I have a feeling that it should be serine, because the (f)Met-tRNA is usually just there to differentiate it self from other RNA. This fMet adds earlier than the usual AUG start codons, making it different from the mRNA and rRNA.
I think that's it, but my best guess if I was writing the test would be Ser.

bc19 said:
I have a feeling that it should be serine, because the (f)Met-tRNA is usually just there to differentiate it self from other RNA. This fMet adds earlier than the usual AUG start codons, making it different from the mRNA and rRNA.
I think that's it, but my best guess if I was writing the test would be Ser.

fMet has nothing to do with the q.

Met-tRNA^ser is a serine tRNA mis-charged with Met. Since only the anticodon matters, this serine tRNA will add Met when the mRNA calls for Ser

Members don't see this ad :)
idq1i said:
fMet has nothing to do with the q.

Met-tRNA^ser is a serine tRNA mis-charged with Met. Since only the anticodon matters, this serine tRNA will add Met when the mRNA calls for Ser

Aaaaaaaah yes, u are right. Should have consulted voet before I posted it up on a whim. thanks!
-bc