optional essay - chronic illness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surjski

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do you guys think about writing an essay about living with a chronic illness (crohns disease). i've learned a lot form it and it has its place....although it's well managed and wouldn't affect my performance in school, i'm slightly worried about adcoms discriminating (even though they're not supposed to....).... any input greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

surjski said:
what do you guys think about writing an essay about living with a chronic illness (crohns disease). i've learned a lot form it and it has its place....although it's well managed and wouldn't affect my performance in school, i'm slightly worried about adcoms discriminating (even though they're not supposed to....).... any input greatly appreciated!

I actually have been thinking about the EXACT same thing. I also have Crohn's and it was definitely one of the biggest obstacles/learning experiences I have had. My hold up was that the chronic disease essay is played out and cliche.

I don't think Crohn's is cause for discrimination. If its well controlled, it shouldn't cause poor performance or disability. If anything it makes you mentally stronger and more tolerant of pain :oops:

It also shows you have an understanding of "the other side"... you will always be able to empathize with any poor kid that has to drink a bucket full of barium ;)

SeattlePostBach said:
I actually have been thinking about the EXACT same thing. I also have Crohn's and it was definitely one of the biggest obstacles/learning experiences I have had. My hold up was that the chronic disease essay is played out and cliche.

I don't think Crohn's is cause for discrimination. If its well controlled, it shouldn't cause poor performance or disability. If anything it makes you mentally stronger and more tolerant of pain :oops:

It also shows you have an understanding of "the other side"... you will always be able to empathize with any poor kid that has to drink a bucket full of barium ;)

Hmmmm.... I never thought about it being cliche.... is that what you've heard?

I agree with you that it's been an amazing (though not sought out) learning experience and definitely provides the patient's perspective. I think that everyone's experiences are unique, and if you speak genuinely about it, then it won't be cliche..... good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard from a med school professor that adcoms do not like to see essays that revolve around an applicants illness. They are quick to assume that this is the main reason for the person to pursue a career in medicine, which they don't like.
I would mention it, but not write a separate essay for it.

hardy said:
I have heard from a med school professor that adcoms do not like to see essays that revolve around an applicants illness. They are quick to assume that this is the main reason for the person to pursue a career in medicine, which they don't like.
I would mention it, but not write a separate essay for it.
i've never heard that to be the case. what school told you this?

Psycho Doctor said:
i've never heard that to be the case. what school told you this?

Not a school but a professor who was on the adcom at UCSD.

And just because you have not heard that to be the case before does not mean very much, or does it?

hardy said:
Not a school but a professor who was on the adcom at UCSD.

And just because you have not heard that to be the case before does not mean very much, or does it?
of course if I'm the only one who never heard it, it doesn't mean much, but it also doesn't mean much if that was the only prof/adcom that said it either. :D

I think talking about chronic illness could go either way, if you can back up your claims for wanting to go into medicine by showing what you've done to prove that being a doctor is truly what you want to do vs. nursing, PA school, or some other medical or non medical helping people sort of profession.

But just talking about a sick person's influence alone, with no real proof of clinical experiences and other experiences that back up your desire for medicine can be a problem.

Has anyone had a positive experience with writing a personal statement about Crohns for med school admissions? I'm not sure if I should talk to it or not.

Worried about discrimination about a health concern, yet you want to volunteer info about it?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Well it is has been an interesting journey that really assured me that I want to be a doctor, so it's a good story but I'm not sure if they will hold it against me.

Worried about discrimination about a health concern, yet you want to volunteer info about it?

Dood, you just critiqued an eight year old post (apparently it's grammatically incorrect to use hyphens in "eight year old post").

Last edited:
Dood, you just critiqued an eight-year-old post.

Oh. Can't see dates on mobile. Lol.

Oh wait yes I can. My bad.

Has anyone had a positive experience with writing a personal statement about Crohns for med school admissions? I'm not sure if I should talk to it or not.

I think you can make your own thread :) this one is pretty old.

Oh. Can't see dates on mobile. Lol.

Oh wait yes I can. My bad.

:naughty:

At least someone actually used the search function amirite?

OP (from 2013), I would write about it if it's given you some sort of valuable insight (which I'm guessing it has). I wouldn't worry about discrimination. It probably is a good idea to ask around and get input from several people, though.

You are not applying for admisison as a patient at the medical school so why do you feel the need to disclose your medical history.

You will not be treating yourself as a patient and the patients you treat will not be you and may need to be treated in a way that is different than the way you have been treated. And not all patients will be as compliant and concerned about their health as you are about your own health. So why is your illness-experience significant with regard to your planned career as a physician. This is not to say that your life experience is not something you'll tap into when caring for patients but it is not essential to discuss your medical history.

Finally, keep in mind that medical centers tend to get the most severe cases and the patients who don't respond to conventional therapy. Therefore med school faculty usually suffer from "spectrum bias" meaning that they are biased toward thinking that a given disease is much worse on average than it really is in the larger community.

I'd recommend using your essay to discuss your volunteerism, clinical experience, research, and/or work experience and how these have helped you test your interest in being a physician.

I don't see how having a chronic illness that would not affect your ability to practice medicine would hinder your application. I should hope personal experience with a medical condition that sparked an interest as well as an empathic understanding of the suffering involved would be a good add on. If anything you can encompass your experience with the medical field and branch out towards explaining your experiences afterwards that furthered your interest and belief that you would be a good fit for medicine.

I personally plan on writing about my traumatic brain injury and the successes I have made in overcoming the obstacles I face because of it, as well as the interest I developed towards medicine because of dealing with multiple conditions stemming from the results of my car accident. I should hope that on some level personal experience with medical conditions would be a positive in the medical field, so I say go for it!

Best of luck!