Listerine vs. Crest Pro Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scottyhoop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if any of you know pros/cons of either of these 2 mouth rinses. Why would you pick one over the other?? Thanks!
Scott

Members don't see this ad.

Crest because the Listerine people push it alot with their false advertising :mad:
scottyhoop said:
Just curious if any of you know pros/cons of either of these 2 mouth rinses. Why would you pick one over the other?? Thanks!
Scott

Members don't see this ad :)
crest, b/c listerine has alcohol in it, we were told that the alcohol can kill the natural flora of the mouth, which could lead to caries-crest is good b/c it has no sugar in it like scope, etc...

aphistis said:
Crest Pro Health because Listerine tastes gross. :D

I have been using Listerine Advanced but I bought Crest to try. I admit Crest tastes better, but leaves a nasty after-taste. SO I'm sticking to listerine, but I've heard a little about alcohol not being great like stated in an earlier post. I'll try to do some more homework on it.
Scott

scottyhoop said:
Scott
I would say Listerine, because it's always on sale at Walmart.
No seriously, is Crest approved by the ADA ?

I'm pretty sure Crest decided not to go through the process to get the ADA seal for ProHealth Rinse. Current sales are not largely affected by the ADA seal and it costs a lot to acheive that status.

My two cents...The metallic aftertaste of the ProHealth rinse made eating unpleasurable for at least 12 hours after I used it the first time...never tried it since.

Oxyfresh!

Hands Down The Best Hygiene Product And Product Line.

Scope undiluted formula. Wait, are we talking about using this for oral hygiene purposes or for cheap weekend entertainment?

I like crest pro health better since it doesn't burn like crazy. I have a geographic tongue so I think that makes me more sensitive to listerine than the average person. The only downside of crest is those little chunks form and sometimes get trapped between contacts.

ACT is my first choice - has flouride, feels fresh but doesn't burn, is non-alcoholic, no bad aftertaste.

I like the fact that the Crest is non alcoholic but i don't really like the taste/aftertaste.

Listerine - I like the taste and fresh feeling, but haven't used it since being taught that it could theoretically increase caries risk by preferentially killing normal flora.

This is what I do (in order):
1. Floss
2. Listerine
3. Power brush
4. Act!
Works like a charm :D

Members don't see this ad :)
dont like the burn of listerine, but i have heard talk about crest causing interproximal stains. i have not experienced this, but once i heard there was a possibility i stopped using it.

Cyclysm said:
dont like the burn of listerine, but i have heard talk about crest causing interproximal stains. i have not experienced this, but once i heard there was a possibility i stopped using it.
I've heard talk about the staining as well. You'd think the folks at Crest would have known better!!!
Scott

A couple friends and I plan to ask the P&G rep about the prohealth rinse and interproximal staining tomorrow.

ktcook83 said:
A couple friends and I plan to ask the P&G rep about the prohealth rinse and interproximal staining tomorrow.
Please let me know what you find out from the rep. Thanks!!
Scott

DrJeff said:
Listerine = high alcohol content = slight increase in oral cancer rates with long term exposure :eek:

Crest Pro Health = no alcohol :thumbup:
What do you think of the Listerine Whitening? It has a much lower alcohol content...or is it best to avoid alcohol period?
Scott

DrJeff said:
Listerine = high alcohol content = slight increase in oral cancer rates with long term exposure :eek:

Crest Pro Health = no alcohol :thumbup:

Research has shown no definitive association.

-The Listerine whitening has no antimicrobial effect.
-ACT 2 is the only ACT that has any sort of antimicrobial claim. How effective it is is another story.
-The active ingredient in Crest Pro Health is the same as Scope and BreathRX.
-Oxyfresh was copied from ClosysII (which was invented by a periodontist in Arizona). The antimicrobial affects are not well known, but it is the best for fresh breath.

Never ask a rep an opinion of their product. They get paid commisson so of course they are going to say great things about it.

Here's my routine (I have no idea how I came to utilize this many oral health products in a 10 minute time span :laugh: ):

1. Rinse with Listerine Whitening
2. Brush with Colgate Total
3. Floss with Glide
4. Rinse with Listerine Cool Mint (the pain is kinda addictive...)
5. Rinse with Act Mint

The funny thing is my teeth suck, but I've gotten used to the beautiful feeling of a sandblasted, minty mouth.

mochafreak said:
Here's my routine (I have no idea how I came to utilize this many oral health products in a 10 minute time span :laugh: ):

1. Rinse with Listerine Whitening
2. Brush with Colgate Total
3. Floss with Glide
4. Rinse with Listerine Cool Mint (the pain is kinda addictive...)
5. Rinse with Act Mint

The funny thing is my teeth suck, but I've gotten used to the beautiful feeling of a sandblasted, minty mouth.

Thats almost exactly my ritual as well, but I floss 1st...is it better to floss in the middle of my "routine"? I switched to Listerine Advanced tho...seems to taste a little better.
Scott

Just thought I'd share mine.

1. Rinse with Listerine Cool Mint
2. Floss with Oral B, waxed
3. Brush with Crest (prefer Colgate but parents buy Crest)
4. Rinse with water
5. Final rinse with Listerine

scottyhoop said:
Thats almost exactly my ritual as well, but I floss 1st...is it better to floss in the middle of my "routine"? I switched to Listerine Advanced tho...seems to taste a little better.
Scott

Well, everybody else flosses first so I'm probably just being weird. I use the Listerine Advanced too.

ACT! you need ACT!

Hey everyone,

We talked to the Proctor and Gamble rep yesterday about Crest Pro Health rinse. He said that there is in fact a problem with staining associated with it. There is a new green colored wintergreen? flavor available which doesn't have as much of a problem as the blue flavor. What the rep said was that Crest was so focused on getting the right color blue for the product that they lost sight of the fact that the dye is too dark / strong. After using some people's mouths look blue... this goes away. Anything that is on the surface of your teeth or in the interproximals gets stained blue and this is what the "blue chunks" are that you spit out after using it.

If you use it these blue chunks can become trapped in interproximals and pick up stains. I have classmates who have seen this on patients during prophys. My suggestion would be if you are going to use pro health rinse, make sure your brush well and floss so you don't get staining from the pro healh rinse, until proctor and gamble can fix the dye they use.

ktcook83 said:
Hey everyone,

We talked to the Proctor and Gamble rep yesterday about Crest Pro Health rinse. He said that there is in fact a problem with staining associated with it. There is a new green colored wintergreen? flavor available which doesn't have as much of a problem as the blue flavor. What the rep said was that Crest was so focused on getting the right color blue for the product that they lost sight of the fact that the dye is too dark / strong. After using some people's mouths look blue... this goes away. Anything that is on the surface of your teeth or in the interproximals gets stained blue and this is what the "blue chunks" are that you spit out after using it.

If you use it these blue chunks can become trapped in interproximals and pick up stains. I have classmates who have seen this on patients during prophys. My suggestion would be if you are going to use pro health rinse, make sure your brush well and floss so you don't get staining from the pro healh rinse, until proctor and gamble can fix the dye they use.

Thats very cool that the rep was honest with you. Thanks for sharing that info.Do you know if the staining is permanent? I've been doing some homework on the alcohol/mouth cancer thing and can't seem to find any references to alcohol being carcinogenic. Anyone have info they could share??
Scott

scottyhoop said:
Thats very cool that the rep was honest with you. Thanks for sharing that info.Do you know if the staining is permanent? I've been doing some homework on the alcohol/mouth cancer thing and can't seem to find any references to alcohol being carcinogenic. Anyone have info they could share??
Scott

Yeah, we were shocked that the rep was candid about it as well, and he seems to be a great and honest guy. I wouldn't say it is permanent... but a classmate of mine did a prophy on his dad (who is a dentist) and said getting it off was tough... but then again we don't have a ton of prophy experience yet, so take that with a grain of salt. It is most definetely not permanent though. It would bother me though. I haven't used any of the pro health rinse samples I have gotten yet, so I have a ton of it lying around. I will be sure to brush and floss before using it.

On another note... he said a new Crest toothpaste is coming out soon at the California Dental Association meeting. He said he couldn't say more than that, but it will be a better paste then their "Vivid White" paste which is presently the Lexus of the Crest pastes.

ktcook83 said:
Yeah, we were shocked that the rep was candid about it as well, and he seems to be a great and honest guy. I wouldn't say it is permanent... but a classmate of mine did a prophy on his dad (who is a dentist) and said getting it off was tough... but then again we don't have a ton of prophy experience yet, so take that with a grain of salt. It is most definetely not permanent though. It would bother me though. I haven't used any of the pro health rinse samples I have gotten yet, so I have a ton of it lying around. I will be sure to brush and floss before using it.

On another note... he said a new Crest toothpaste is coming out soon at the California Dental Association meeting. He said he couldn't say more than that, but it will be a better paste then their "Vivid White" paste which is presently the Lexus of the Crest pastes.

Cool...I use vivid white now...in fact revitalizing mint flavor is the same flavor as the pro health rinse. To be honest, it doesn't seem to be all that special...I have a hard time telling if a toothpaste is making a difference especially in terms of whitening, plus I use listerine whitening/listerine advanced, and act. So who knows??
Scott

scottyhoop said:
Cool...I use vivid white now...in fact revitalizing mint flavor is the same flavor as the pro health rinse. To be honest, it doesn't seem to be all that special...I have a hard time telling if a toothpaste is making a difference especially in terms of whitening, plus I use listerine whitening/listerine advanced, and act. So who knows??
Scott

No toothpaste is whitening in the true sense of the bleaches out on the market that use Carbamide Peroxide or hydrogen peroxide. Toothpastes that are whitening actually use a slightly abrasive silica to "whiten your teeth" by removing surface stains. Vivid white has an additional ingredient... sodium hexametaphosphate which is supposed to coat your teeth for 12 hours from picking up new surface stains. It would supposedly help to protect against staining from coffee, coke, smoking, etc

ktcook83 said:
No toothpaste is whitening in the true sense of the bleaches out on the market that use Carbamide Peroxide or hydrogen peroxide. Toothpastes that are whitening actually use a slightly abrasive silica to "whiten your teeth" by removing surface stains. Vivid white has an additional ingredient... sodium hexametaphosphate which is supposed to coat your teeth for 12 hours from picking up new surface stains. It would supposedly help to protect against staining from coffee, coke, smoking, etc

Thats great...thanks so much for the info!!! Just curious where you're getting your info from as I would like to check out the source. Seems like lots of great info that I am into. Do you happen to know what the whitening agent is in the "paint on" products and how effective they are? Thanks so much again for the help!!!
Scott

scottyhoop said:
Thats great...thanks so much for the info!!! Just curious where you're getting your info from as I would like to check out the source. Seems like lots of great info that I am into. Do you happen to know what the whitening agent is in the "paint on" products and how effective they are? Thanks so much again for the help!!!
Scott

Scott,

Most of it is from the Protor and Gamble rep for my region... I didn't write his contact info down though because he visits our school a couple times per year, sorry.

The best place to look though would be "Dentalcare.com." It's proctor and gambles dental professionals site and you can sign up if you are a dental student.

Hope this helps,
Kevin

fetororis said:
Never ask a rep an opinion of their product. They get paid commisson so of course they are going to say great things about it.

I disagree. Asking reps is good because their claims set the ceiling on what is true. In other words, it's incredibly unlikely that the product is any better than what they claim.

That means if they concede that it might have bad effect X, you can be pretty sure that it does If they say, "no it doesn't have that effect," that doesn't mean much. But if they say, "well, our chemists have been working on an improved version," you've found some valuable information.

ktcook83 said:
Scott,

Most of it is from the Protor and Gamble rep for my region... I didn't write his contact info down though because he visits our school a couple times per year, sorry.

The best place to look though would be "Dentalcare.com." It's proctor and gambles dental professionals site and you can sign up if you are a dental student.

Hope this helps,
Kevin

Thanks Kevin...I'll check it out. Since "im not in Dschool yet I may not be able to sign on, but I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the info!!
Scott

I did a google search on Crest Pro-Health Rinse, and I found quite a few stories of people complaining about staining associated with this product. As an example, there are currently over 20 reviews of the product on Amazon.com, and the vast majority of these reviews complain of staining. Here is the link:

amazon reviews

Also, here is a link to a humorous newspaper editorial on the staining issue:

hobo teeth

Here is a link where a dental hygeinist describes the difficulty of removing these stains:

dmt info

Personally, I think it is unconscionable that P&G put this product on the market without a warning. There is a warning about staining on the pro-health toothpaste -- the FDA requires the warning because the toothpaste contains stannous fluoride. But there is no warning on the rinse.

The story about the P&G rep in this thread is especially troubling to me. If P&G knew about the staining problem, why was this not pulled from the market? Also, in my view, it is probably the CPC in the product that is causing the staining, not the blue die.

i tried out Crest Pro Health, and it temporarily made my teeth blue! Weird.

scottyhoop said:
Scott
Listerine, because I own stock in their company.

The new Vanilla/Mint Listerine isn't bad compared to the old stuff. If been using that with Listerine Whitening and ACT. Been getting tons of dead skin in my mouth....any one else have this happen? Going to ask my GP about it tmw.
Scott

Just thought I'd share mine.

1. Rinse with Listerine Cool Mint
2. Floss with Oral B, waxed
3. Brush with Crest (prefer Colgate but parents buy Crest)
4. Rinse with water
5. Final rinse with Listerine

all rinses r worthless and even counterproductive if used AFTER brushing---just spit the toothpaste out and don't rinse with water or nothin---funny thing, u spend so much $$$$ on the rinses and then still have to pay hi bills at the toof doc!----why?---cuz my 'nads r perfectly round, big globes?!---well, yes, but that is not the point---when u rinse after brushing, u rinse the flouride away

Listerine > Crest Pro Health

I like the burning sensation that Crest Pro Health doesn't provide.

all rinses r worthless and even counterproductive if used AFTER brushing---just spit the toothpaste out and don't rinse with water or nothin---funny thing, u spend so much $$$$ on the rinses and then still have to pay hi bills at the toof doc!----why?---cuz my 'nads r perfectly round, big globes?!---well, yes, but that is not the point---when u rinse after brushing, u rinse the flouride away

you're not supposed to rinse your mouth out with water after you brush your teeth? What about the extra tooth paste or that soapy feeling. you'll end up swallowing it.

Does anybody have experience in how long does it take for the stain to wear off? I heard that it will wear off if you stop using the mouth rinse.

Does anybody have experience in how long does it take for the stain to wear off? I heard that it will wear off if you stop using the mouth rinse.

depends on how severe the stain is.. some stains that are minimal return to normal within one day.. other will take sometime.

Off topic but does anyone know if Colgate offers free samples to dental students? Thx.

My routine

First I rinse listerine
then rinse with hydrogen peroxide
then crest
Floss
Brush for 10 minutes
Floss
then rinse with act
then floss at the same time as rinsing with listerine and crest mixed together.