Personality predicts specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wonderous

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I stole this idea from the internal medicine forum, I think it would be fun to discuss if you think your personality code fits your chosen career.

http://personal.ecu.edu/sak1106/medstudents.htm
you can take the test at http://keirsey.com/frame.html

I'll go first - I am an ISTJ interested in Cardiology.

Members don't see this ad.

noelleruckman said:
I fit into the mold. I am an INTP who is interested in combining psychiatry and internal medicine.

How does one do that? Do you do both residencies or fellowships? I'm interested in cardiology and psychiatry.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are joint residency programs. i.e. IM/Psych, FM/Psych, EM/IM, IM/FM, EM/CC etc
They are usually longer. I think the IM/Psych one is 5 years.

noelleruckman said:
There are joint residency programs. i.e. IM/Psych, FM/Psych, EM/IM, IM/FM, EM/CC etc
They are usually longer. I think the IM/Psych one is 5 years.

Cool thanks!

I am ESTJ and will probably be going into emergency medicine.

ENTJ....and I'm planning on emergency medicine.

According to a more inclusive personality vs. specialty list I have saved on my computer I'm suited to:
Community Health Physician- Not on your life
Nuclear Medicine- No
Emergency Room Physician- 1st choice
Psychiatrist- No
Neurologist- Probably not
Cardiologist- Maybe
Pharmacologist- No
Plastic Surgeon- Probably not
Anesthetist- Maybe
Internal Medicine- No
Allergy and Immunology- No
Hematologist- No
Internal Medicine Physician- No

These things are pretty silly. It says I should be either a Surgeon, Internist, Pediatrician, or Pathologist.

Anything that predicts Surgeons and Pediatricians to be of the same personality is pretty suspect...

AmoryBlaine said:
These things are pretty silly. It says I should be either a Surgeon, Internist, Pediatrician, or Pathologist.

Anything that predicts Surgeons and Pediatricians to be of the same personality is pretty suspect...

Ah, you must be a Guardian. If you look closely, at your best you would be "Solid, trustworthy, dependable" - great for peds.

And at your worst you are "Inflexible, dogmatic, unimaginative" which fits many surgeons I know. In fact, its pretty inflexible and unimaginative of you to reject the personality matching outright :smuggrin:

How do you know what you are? Is there a test that gives you the letters to correspond with the specialty?

My mother-in-law is a drug rep and she says she's seen definite patterns between personalities in the different specialties she's called on. So while there's obviously not anything set in stone about it there are defintely trends.

i think some specialties definitely have a stereotypical personality type, like peds or radiology

some others prob dont

Members don't see this ad :)
You also have to realize that most of these Meyers-Briggs type personality scales, although adminstered often and in a wide variety of settings, actually have very little ecological or empirical validity. They're good to take for fun and wasting time, but don't take them too seriously.

That's what being a psych major will get you ;)

INTJ....Pathology here I come.

I just took both tests and came up with all the specialities i'm interested in: internal medicine, neurology, pathology. interesting....!

pnasty said:
i think some specialties definitely have a stereotypical personality type, like peds or radiology

some others prob dont

Most definitely. I think ortho has a personality, as does family. I think some fields that get reputations for having stereotypical personalities most definitely do not. Internal medicine comes to mind, I know internists that are all over the board...

Still confused, it said my temperment was rational, then it wanted me to buy some stuff. Don't want to do that though, anyway to get around that?

akinf said:
Still confused, it said my temperment was rational, then it wanted me to buy some stuff. Don't want to do that though, anyway to get around that?

same here. and the test doesn't seem to have anything to do with medicine or specialties. (?) all i know is i'm an idealist, but i read the descriptions of the four subtypes and i'm probably INFP. anyone know what that means? i'm thinking psychiatry, pediatrics, or primary care.

If you don't want to pay you have to figure out your personality by the descriptions. Here is a better link for linking personality to specialty - it does this by category (ie, Rational).

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache...cialty&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2&client=safari

pattayapus said:
same here. and the test doesn't seem to have anything to do with medicine or specialties. (?) all i know is i'm an idealist, but i read the descriptions of the four subtypes and i'm probably INFP. anyone know what that means? i'm thinking psychiatry, pediatrics, or primary care.

Much better. That's weird, I got

* Community Health Physician
* Nuclear Medicine
* Emergency Room Physician
* Psychiatrist
* Neurologist
* Cardiologist
* Pharmacologist
* Plastic Surgeon
* Anesthetist
* Internal Medicine
* Allergy and Immunology
* Hematologist
* Internal Medicine Physician

This is not the first time I've taken a test that suggested Nuclear Medicine. However, it is the first that suggested Psychiatrist and Plastic Surgeon. Whatever.

Have you noticed that link above is like horoscopes? You give so many specialty choices that you're bound by percentages to find something that you're interested in. Just wanted to point that out :)

also, if you speak spanish or another language, you can take the test and get your letters for free! I actually have taken this test before, and I got the same personality type when I just took the test in spanish.

Interesting...I'm right on the border, I think, because I took a couple of different tests and I got either ESFJ or ENFJ. If you all want to take more tests, check out http://similarminds.com. They've got a lot of different options.

Anyway, it seemed pretty accurate: I'm interested in FP (family practice, not "feeling perception" or whatever!), and both of those have FP first on their lists. Cool thread, if not scientifically proven! ;)

Idealist - Counselor (INFJ)
is what the test showed.

and it says NF's are best suited for
Family Physician - no
Psychiatrist -no
Critical Care Physician -I do have interest in pulm/cc :thumbup:
Nephrologist -no
Oncologist -no
Pediatrician -no
Obstetrician/Gynecologist -no

seems quite random though.

Guardian, here.

The Four types of Guardians are:

Inspectors (ISTJ)

Anesthesiology
OB
Surgery
Family Practice
Pathology (not for me)

Funny thing is, other than Path, these are all ones that I am interested in if you add in Cardiology.

Then ISTJ or INTJ on the Myers-Briggs

But I don't think that I am just any one of these. I see characteristics of myself in several of these types.

INTJ/ISTJ interested in Internal Med subs-specialties...so it was pretty dead on.

dnw826 said:
Guardian, here.

The Four types of Guardians are:

Inspectors (ISTJ)

Anesthesiology
OB
Surgery
Family Practice
Pathology (not for me)

Funny thing is, other than Path, these are all ones that I am interested in if you add in Cardiology.

Then ISTJ or INTJ on the Myers-Briggs

But I don't think that I am just any one of these. I see characteristics of myself in several of these types.

Like I said before, if the test is telling that the same MB personalities go into FP, Surgery, and Path , you might want to doubt its accuracy...

Well, I guess there's not much out there for ENFP's! Hey, we're fun people too!

interested in nephro, critical care, neo, psych and MFM.....

I stole this idea from the internal medicine forum, I think it would be fun to discuss if you think your personality code fits your chosen career.

http://personal.ecu.edu/sak1106/medstudents.htm
you can take the test at http://keirsey.com/frame.html

I'll go first - I am an ISTJ interested in Cardiology.

I'm an INTX. When I use my J I can achieve a great deal but with my P I'm happier and wiser.
I am looking into internal medicine but psychiatry is interesting. I predict it will be integrated into all fields soon enough with the increasing discoveries regarding mental disease and the political stresses.

Can an Emergency physician switch to FM later or one has to do additional time in residency for that to happen?

attachment.php