Diagnose me!! (How good are you?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearFission

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have this red patch of skin the size of a nickel on my arm. The patch protrudes outward and is hard like a lump to the touch. The patch is pinkish red and the surrounding arew is slightly pink. The surrounding area around the patch is about two inches from the nickel size patch. The surrounding area does not itch and it is dry. And yes it painful when i touch the nickel size lump, not the surrounding area. There was puss building up the other day but I poped and squeezed it.

The only thing that comes to mind is when i got stung by a wasp 4 weeks ago. It was in the exact same spot. The only exception was when i got stung by the wasp is that it itched like hell!!!!!!!!! This time it just doesn't itch. Do you think the wasp sting has something to do with this?

I normally surf the pharmacy forums but i figure i'd stop by and see if any of you fellow SNDers could help out. :D

Members don't see this ad.

My diagnosis is your post will soon be closed... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Closing in 3, 2, 1....

Yes, you shouldn't ask for medical advice - but this sounds like a classic infection of the bite (rubor, dolor, and I bet it's warm). You shouldn't be "popping" pus, go to the ED! Depending on the type of bacteria, this could be very serious, indeed. Ever heard of cellulitis?

NuclearFission said:
I have this red patch of skin the size of a nickel on my arm. The patch protrudes outward and is hard like a lump to the touch. The patch is pinkish red and the surrounding arew is slightly pink. The surrounding area around the patch is about two inches from the nickel size patch. The surrounding area does not itch and it is dry. And yes it painful when i touch the nickel size lump, not the surrounding area. There was puss building up the other day but I poped and squeezed it.

The only thing that comes to mind is when i got stung by a wasp 4 weeks ago. It was in the exact same spot. The only exception was when i got stung by the wasp is that it itched like hell!!!!!!!!! This time it just doesn't itch. Do you think the wasp sting has something to do with this?

I normally surf the pharmacy forums but i figure i'd stop by and see if any of you fellow SNDers could help out. :D

Hard24Get said:
Yes, you shouldn't ask for medical advice - but this sounds like a classic infection of the bite (rubor, dolor, and I bet it's warm). You shouldn't be "popping" pus, go to the ED! Depending on the type of bacteria, this could be very serious, indeed. Ever heard of cellulitis?

Awesome thanks. By the way, what does ED stand for? I'm probably going to see the doctor monday.

I didn't know where else to place this question so i just stuck it here.

ED = emergency department
you should get it looked at asap. pus means possible abscess, possible surgery.... cellulitis, osteomyelitis... did you pick at the wasp sting? where do you live? here in florida we have a lot of community acquired MRSA....many people are colonized with this bacteria and any break in the skin is a possibility for infection. staph sounds like the most likely culprit to me. get it looked at now, later will be worse....and stop picking at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.