Only on the South Side

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterski232002

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Check out this ridiculous case today....

53 yo M w/ ESRD on HD, HTN, Asthma (intubated x3), comes into the ED last night at 2am in severe respiratory distress (he drove himeself in), c/o 1-2 hrs SOB, ran out of inhalers and didn't take his BP meds b/c he's getting dialysis in the morning at 5:30am. Vitals 36.5 260/155 146 48 82% RA. He was brought straight back and the charge nurse called me to the bedside. His lungs were silent, no wheezing, no crackles. No LE edema. Denies any other symptoms (no cp, no cough, no f/c).

I immediately start him on bipap and give a continuous neb w/ decadron and mag for asthma. I recycle the pressure twice and both repeats are >250/150 so I dump 3 SL nitros into his mouth and slap on 4 inches nitro paste now realizing it's probably more flash pulmonary edema from diastolic dysfxn. Within about 5 min his pressure drops to 180/120 and his WOB dramatically decreases. Within another 10 min his pressure drops 111/70 HR 120 and I rub off his nitro paste.... For the next hr and a half his pressure fluctuates between 120 and 170 systolic and I give him hydralazine 10mg IV twice to keep it under 160... I let him know that he's gonna get admitted, and he says "there's no damn way--I need to get to dialysis at 5:30". I tell him we can do it here, but he persists. His CXR showed mild edema but nothing impressive; however he had a BNP of 48,000! His CBC, BMP, CE were normal. It's now 4:00am and he is still insistant on wanting to make dialysis and he's got a RR 12 on Bipap, so I decided to wean him, since he's going to leave AMA no matter what. He's weaned off Bipap, to FM, to NC, to RA over the next 75 min, while I order down 10mg norvasc PO and 10mg hydralazine PO from pharmacy. At 5:10am his last set of vitals were 140/95 110 14 95% RA.... no wheezes/no crackles on exam, breathing comfortably. I discharged him at 5:15am so he could drive to dialysis!!!

This guy was 30 seconds away from an ETT 3 hrs ago.... Fastest, most dramatic turn around I've ever seen.

Members don't see this ad.

You see, the Bears are 7-0, and they're playing the Dolphins tomorrow. Back in '85 (The year of our Ditka) the mighty Shuffling Crew fell to Miami - only to Miami. Now that they have a chance to defend another perfect record against the Dolphins no self-respecting hypertensive south sider is gonna let a little respiratory distress get in the way of enjoying the game. This guy knows that he'll get to go home from dialysis, but he sure as heck aint getting discharged before Monday.

We'll probably see him at Christ tomorrow, after his game-time salt & fluid loads have had a little time to enter his circulation.

P.S.: Nice work.

Members don't see this ad :)
You see, the Bears are 7-0, and they're playing the Dolphins tomorrow. Back in '85 (The year of our Ditka) the mighty Shuffling Crew fell to Miami - only to Miami. Now that they have a chance to defend another perfect record against the Dolphins no self-respecting hypertensive south sider is gonna let a little respiratory distress get in the way of enjoying the game. This guy knows that he'll get to go home from dialysis, but he sure as heck aint getting discharged before Monday.

We'll probably see him at Christ tomorrow, after his game-time salt & fluid loads have had a little time to enter his circulation.

P.S.: Nice work.
Does it mean I'm old if I completely understood everything Wilco was talking about? sigh.

Last night I actually dreamed of the SNL 'Da Bears' skits. And I'm not even from Chicago...

Ditto on the nice work.

as someone who lived in chicago and spent a lot of time at Cook County I can fully understand.

BTW as a dolphin fan I think they get waxed by 4 tds... We will see...

I've done the same thing on a CHF/ESRD pt in acute pulmonary edema WITHOUT IV ACCESS.

Refused access and couldn't wrestle with him to get it in. SL NTG, SL Captopril, NTG paste and IM lasix. That's right, IM lasix, given by his PMD who sent him to the ED an hour prior. BP 240/140 on arrival with rales all the way up, breathing around 30, 95% on 100% FM -> 140/90 within 2 hours. We didn't have BiPAP in our hospital. Urine output 300 ml, but apparently just enough...

Then he AMAed.

My attending laughed his head off. I was too shell-shocked to see the humor in it. I was a 'tern and my attending only saw the patient once. He wasn't even in the acute area.

Had another one in a similar situation, but in this case my attending convinced him to get access just before he went into pulmonary edema. I threw a fem line in him in record time, just in time to get him every HTN med I could find. ...he stayed.