DDS to MD school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothManDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious to see if there are any programs that allow DDS students to transfer to MD schools. Columbia Dental Medicine allows MD students to transfer to their DDS program. Do any medical schools do this? I did some searching and found that Tulane SOM will accept transfer students from Dental Schools. Please don't respond with "you should have researched this before you went to dental school." I am someone who is interested in both fields and am wondering if you can switch without having to deal with AADSAS or AMCAS. Also, I have the undergraduate record to have gained admissions to either professional school (GPA > 3.9 with a biology major, significant research experience, etc).

Members don't see this ad.

I am curious to see if there are any programs that allow DDS students to transfer to MD schools. Columbia Dental Medicine allows MD students to transfer to their DDS program. Do any medical schools do this? I did some searching and found that Tulane SOM will accept transfer students from Dental Schools. Please don't respond with "you should have researched this before you went to dental school." I am someone who is interested in both fields and am wondering if you can switch without having to deal with AADSAS or AMCAS. Also, I have the undergraduate record to have gained admissions to either professional school (GPA > 3.9 with a biology major, significant research experience, etc).

I don't really know that much about this. However, one of the students on my rotation is doing an OMFS residency with Wayne State/DMC where as part of the residency he gets his MD after having done 2nd and 3rd years of medical school. He is able to skip the 1st and 4th years. He also does about 4 years of other residency stuff including a year of general surgery. That might be something to look into.

http://www.henryford.com/body.cfm?id=37300 is one example.

I see you've already been accepted to dental school. If you are changing your mind and thinking medical school instead, just apply to medical school this summer instead of trying to find a back door in. I applied to dental school first, changed my mind (and had to turn down a full scholarship), and am now in medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I expect that it would be difficult to switch from dental school to med school. Adcoms want people who know what field they want to work in. I'd put some extra effort into choosing the right field now and then sticking with that decision. If you research it thoroughly and it really is a tie, then you'll probably be happy with either.

I expect that it would be difficult to switch from dental school to med school. Adcoms want people who know what field they want to work in. I'd put some extra effort into choosing the right field now and then sticking with that decision. If you research it thoroughly and it really is a tie, then you'll probably be happy with either.

I respectfully disagree, it is not a tie in the sense that one is not interchangeable for the other. Having said that, life is short and you should do what will ultimately make you happy. My class alone at MCV had 3 ex-dental students. Being Viet, I personally know many ex-dental students who kept trying until they finally got accepted into med school and started back as M1's:scared: :scared: :scared:

people transfer from MD to DDS?? Good God why?

people transfer from MD to DDS?? Good God why?

Dentists have a shorter training period and a better lifestyle (in general). But that's not the topic of this thread....

This is not a MD v. DDS thread. It is just, is there a possibility to switch between schools if one wishes. The reason why is because there are a few dental schools that are highly integrated with their medical schools. The 3 I can think of are Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Columbia U. College of Dental Medicine and U. Conn School of Dental Medicine. At these three schools, the medical and dental students take the same science classes. For this reason, I am curious if a dental student from one of these 3 schools, who has taken the exact same science courses as the med student sitting next to them, could transfer in. This isn't a back-door path to a MD degree. There is no doubt that I would have been accepted to either MD or DDS, it is simply, do I need to start the entire process over if I want to switch. And thank you for not turning this into a "why would anyone want to do dentistry" thread like the pre-med forum would do. You guys are all in med school and have a much better insight on these things. I am not happy or unhappy, I am just simply curious if it is possible. Thanks guys.

I doubt that you can go from dental to medical. Medical school is so difficult to get into now. I don't think medical schools want people to think that there is a backdoor option if the frontdoor is closed to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is not a MD v. DDS thread. It is just, is there a possibility to switch between schools if one wishes. The reason why is because there are a few dental schools that are highly integrated with their medical schools. The 3 I can think of are Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Columbia U. College of Dental Medicine and U. Conn School of Dental Medicine. At these three schools, the medical and dental students take the same science classes. For this reason, I am curious if a dental student from one of these 3 schools, who has taken the exact same science courses as the med student sitting next to them, could transfer in. This isn't a back-door path to a MD degree. There is no doubt that I would have been accepted to either MD or DDS, it is simply, do I need to start the entire process over if I want to switch. And thank you for not turning this into a "why would anyone want to do dentistry" thread like the pre-med forum would do. You guys are all in med school and have a much better insight on these things. I am not happy or unhappy, I am just simply curious if it is possible. Thanks guys.

I don't know if the DDS to MD switch can be done at those schools or not since I don't go there. Have you been accepted to any of those 3 dental schools? Are you sure the students take the *exact* same science courses the first two years -- I would think the DDS students would need more focus on oral/head and neck pathology.

Anyway, I highly doubt the switch at those 3 schools or any school that has both a DDS and an MD program would be allowed. If you decide some time in your dental school years that you'd rather get an MD, just assume you will have to apply through AMCAS like everyone else.

I don't know if the DDS to MD switch can be done at those schools or not since I don't go there. Have you been accepted to any of those 3 dental schools? Are you sure the students take the *exact* same science courses the first two years -- I would think the DDS students would need more focus on oral/head and neck pathology.

Anyway, I highly doubt the switch at those 3 schools or any school that has both a DDS and an MD program would be allowed. If you decide some time in your dental school years that you'd rather get an MD, just assume you will have to apply through AMCAS like everyone else.

Yeah, it's probably unlikely and if at all possible, highly school specific. At my school we take two classes with dental students (embryo and histo), but the dental students take a truncated version because they're only with us for 2/3 of each course. I think their anatomy course is very similar to ours -- I've heard rumors that people who fail anatomy can retake it in the summer with the dental students. However, other than that, the classes are different. If you were to transfer at my school (I have no clue if it's even possible), you might get credit for a course or two but you probably wouldn't shave off any time.

So are you in a dental program already, or are you trying to decide where to go for next year? If you haven't started yet, I'd suggest doing a little more soulsearching before committing yourself to either.

If you've taken the MCAT and did well on it, med school deans MIGHT entertain the thought for a split second, but if you didn't take the MCAT yet, you won't be given any special credit just because you were in dental school.

Just my 0.02

At Columbia Dental, the students take 1) Sciences Basic to the Practice of Dentistry 2) Human Development 3) Clinical Anatomy 4)Neural Science . The Medical students take the exact same classes, sitting side-by-side with dental students. They then differ, where dental does dental occlusion and anatomy, preclinical, oral radiology, health promotion and an ethics class. The med students do the first 4 classes, plus psychiatric medicine. Oh, their first class is titled Sciences Basic to the Practice of Medicine (exact same profs, class time, exams, just a different name). So the dental students do more than the med students, so the dental is only lacking in psychiatric medicine after the first year. I know Columbia dental will allow MD transfers, who take the courses they lack from their M1 year. I don't see why it wouldn't work the other way. Things then split pretty different after the D1 and M1 years.

I doubt that you can go from dental to medical. Medical school is so difficult to get into now. I don't think medical schools want people to think that there is a backdoor option if the frontdoor is closed to them.

It's not a backdoor option. Plus, there is not a huge disparity on medical v. dental school admissions. Granted, 20 years ago medicine was harder than dentistry, but that isn't true anymore. Someone who gains admissions to one program will gain admissions to the other. I don't have national statistics, but the TMDSAS posts their average numbers for the Texas schools. As you can see from the chart, the average medical acceptance had a 3.65 and the average dental acceptance was a 3.55 . That might be a difference in 2 or 3 grades (http://www.utsystem.edu/TMDSAS/Final Statistics Report - Entry Year 2005 - Medical.pdf). So no, it isn't a backdoor option.

I know Columbia dental will allow MD transfers, who take the courses they lack from their M1 year. I don't see why it wouldn't work the other way. Things then split pretty different after the D1 and M1 years.

Wouldn't be easier then to ask the Columbia Medical School admission personals than ask SDNers?

There are no MD programs who accepts DMD/DDS students that I'm aware of.

It's not a backdoor option. Plus, there is not a huge disparity on medical v. dental school admissions. Granted, 20 years ago medicine was harder than dentistry, but that isn't true anymore. Someone who gains admissions to one program will gain admissions to the other. I don't have national statistics, but the TMDSAS posts their average numbers for the Texas schools. As you can see from the chart, the average medical acceptance had a 3.65 and the average dental acceptance was a 3.55 . That might be a difference in 2 or 3 grades (http://www.utsystem.edu/TMDSAS/Final Statistics Report - Entry Year 2005 - Medical.pdf). So no, it isn't a backdoor option.

Not trying to start anything here but Dental school is easier to get into. They have much lower GPA averages and you can't even begin to compare the DAT with the MCAT.

There is another very good reason why it would be very hard to transfer. Most med schools start having their students do clinically-related activities since year 1, such as learning physical diagnosis skills and spending time in the hospitals. This part of the curriculum is also very important in the training. They don't simply throw us on the wards in 3rd year unprepared, you know. They won't go out of their way to remediate students who come late into their curriculum either. That's why even med school transfers usually happen between year 2 and 3.

GPA's notwithstanding the difficulty of the MCAT is >>>> than the DAT so you're still comparing apples and oranges. I know of plenty of people who couldn't get into med school who ended up settling for dentistry because of the MCAT beast.

GPA's notwithstanding the difficulty of the MCAT is >>>> than the DAT so you're still comparing apples and oranges. I know of plenty of people who couldn't get into med school who ended up settling for dentistry because of the MCAT beast.

Having taken both the DAT and the MCAT, I can attest to this. I had an outstanding DAT score (full ride to dental school) yet an average MCAT score (no scholarships).

I don't think people "settle" for dentistry. People who don't do well on the MCAT go to DO school. The vast majority of individuals I have met doing dentistry have wanted to do so for a very long time. People don't just switch careers based on a single test. Talking about the "beast," the MCAT now is 4 and a half hours and is a CBT, just like the DAT. I know both exams are hard, but I am not asking which profession has a hard entrance exam. The prereqs are the exact same for the 2 schools, the only difference being the entrance exam. The DAT is not like the GRE, it is still harder than the PCAT, OAT, GRE, GMAT and LSAT. I don't appreciate this thread being turned into a medicine is the most amazing field in healthcare thread. Please get off your high horses how the MD is the most amazing degree. It is something how a thread asking about uncertainties in the healthfield can be completely ruined. I thought physicians were supposed to be more compassionate, not egocentric individuals who couldn't care about other people.

Thanks guys who didn't try to kill the thread and who gave constructive advice.

I don't think people "settle" for dentistry. People who don't do well on the MCAT go to DO school. The vast majority of individuals I have met doing dentistry have wanted to do so for a very long time. People don't just switch careers based on a single test. Talking about the "beast," the MCAT now is 4 and a half hours and is a CBT, just like the DAT. I know both exams are hard, but I am not asking which profession has a hard entrance exam. The prereqs are the exact same for the 2 schools, the only difference being the entrance exam. The DAT is not like the GRE, it is still harder than the PCAT, OAT, GRE, GMAT and LSAT. I don't appreciate this thread being turned into a medicine is the most amazing field in healthcare thread. Please get off your high horses how the MD is the most amazing degree. It is something how a thread asking about uncertainties in the healthfield can be completely ruined. I thought physicians were supposed to be more compassionate, not egocentric individuals who couldn't care about other people.

I think this thread was pretty tame for SDN!

Wouldn't be easier then to ask the Columbia Medical School admission personals than ask SDNers?

There are no MD programs who accepts DMD/DDS students that I'm aware of.

I agree. Obviously none of us know the answer, so why not just call the schools up and ask about it?

I don't appreciate this thread being turned into a medicine is the most amazing field in healthcare thread. Please get off your high horses how the MD is the most amazing degree. It is something how a thread asking about uncertainties in the healthfield can be completely ruined. I thought physicians were supposed to be more compassionate, not egocentric individuals who couldn't care about other people.
I think YOU are the one who needs to get off your high horse. I re-read the replies and people were just stating facts for the most parts. If they hurt your little feelings...boo freaking hoo. There are NO medical schools who are going to let you transfer your dental school classes ok? I replied with real life examples of friends who almost finished dental school only to start over as M1's when they finally got accepted into med school. SHEESH. Guess you like to attack people when you don't hear what you want to hear.

I agree. Obviously none of us know the answer, so why not just call the schools up and ask about it?

I can see it now, starts at Columbia dental, tries to transfer.

Columbia Med: No, not possible.

Student Response: But the random people on SDN told me I could!

I think YOU are the one who needs to get off your high horse. I re-read the replies and people were just stating facts for the most parts. If they hurt your little feelings...boo freaking hoo. There are NO medical schools who are going to let you transfer your dental school classes ok? I replied with real life examples of friends who almost finished dental school only to start over as M1's when they finally got accepted into med school. SHEESH. Guess you like to attack people when you don't hear what you want to hear.

Not completely true...if you are an oral and maxillofacial surgery (OMFS) resident, medical school will give you transfer credit for the basic science classess you took in dental school. I, for one, is a second year OMFS resident, and I am currently finishing my core clerkships at Case School of Medicine, and will get my MD in 2008. I took my usmle step I straight out of dental school, prior to starting my residency without too much difficulty. But this is usually only possible (DDS, MD) if you are in a dual degree OMFS residency program after you graduate from dental school (thus medical school is part of your residency)....I have not heard of people transferring out of dental school to go to medical school just because the classes overlap. This is not possible.

The bottom line is you have no MCAT- a 3.9 means nothing without an MCAT. I had friends with 3.9s and 4.0s who did not do overly well on mcat-in the 27, 28 range, which is not even bad but that did not get into medical school and had to reapply and finally get in. I pretty much assure you they will not take a dental transfer. They have no objective way to compare you with the other medstudents. Unless you are at one of the combined programs where you have taken the same classes, no other school will even ponder that.

Try asking those schools with integrated programs rather than annoymous people on an SDN boards who've never been in your position. I'm pretty sure most med schools won't let you jump into their third year, simply b/c most schools don't have integrated programs for their med/dental schools.

I know that at my med school, our science classes are different from our dental counterparts---our anatomy classes are completely different since the dental students focus on head and neck while we do the entire body. Also, we learn how to do physical exams second year, which I'm pretty sure most dental schools won't require. We also have other clinically relevant classes (which I think are bull**** but are required) which the dental students won't take. So I'm not sure how most med schools will have you make up that in time for third year. Perhaps at some schools, the dent/med students take the same classes, but not every school is like that, so I'd think you will not be able to just mass apply and be treated like a standard candidate for advanced standing.

Also, a touch defensive, are we? There are students who preferred DO over MD, so I think they appreciate you saying that DO students are "settling" about as much as you seem to like the statement that dental students are "settling" when they couldn't get into med school.

This kind of comment is unnecessary. There is absolutely no need to get defensive about being a dentist. So what if there are med school rejects in dental school? What does it matter about avg GPA of DDS vs MD schools? Medical students and even MD's who are egotistic and think they are superior than all other allied-health professionals will always let the degree behind their name define who they are. Don't buy into that. These are the same guys who talk down on DO's and podiatrists etc..who serve vital role in patient care in hospital setting. Just be the best dentist, physican, optemetrist etc that you can be and that should be the end all, be all. To me, doing a filling is no less significant than a hernia repair. Have some pride in your work, whatever the degree, serve your patients well, and that should be your main goal. I have met many people in medical school who respect me for what I do, and many others who question my credentials as a future MD because of my DDS....but the latter tends to be young, wide eyed Grey's anatomy mid 20y year olds who have no idea about life outside of being a MD...like supporting a family, paying bills, and juggling finances. But medical school has been a very educational, and eye opening experience tho...

The DAT is not like the GRE, it is still harder than the PCAT, OAT, GRE, GMAT and LSAT.

I wouldn't be so quick to call all of those exams easy. The "easier" the exam the less deviation from absolute perfection is tolerated. Without an absolute top LSAT forget about the top 10 (which is more important in law). Without a perfect GRE math, forget about econ programs good enough to get you tenure track.

There is much more room for error on the MCAT (ok, Verbal aside). And the difference between a 34 and a 37 is fairly insignificant in the admissions game.

This kind of comment is unnecessary. There is absolutely no need to get defensive about being a dentist. So what if there are med school rejects in dental school? What does it matter about avg GPA of DDS vs MD schools? Medical students and even MD's who are egotistic and think they are superior than all other allied-health professionals will always let the degree behind their name define who they are. Don't buy into that. These are the same guys who talk down on DO's and podiatrists etc..who serve vital role in patient care in hospital setting. Just be the best dentist, physican, optemetrist etc that you can be and that should be the end all, be all. To me, doing a filling is no less significant than a hernia repair. Have some pride in your work, whatever the degree, serve your patients well, and that should be your main goal. I have met many people in medical school who respect me for what I do, and many others who question my credentials as a future MD because of my DDS....but the latter tends to be young, wide eyed Grey's anatomy mid 20y year olds who have no idea about life outside of being a MD...like supporting a family, paying bills, and juggling finances. But medical school has been a very educational, and eye opening experience tho...

Couldn't agree more...

It has been done at Columbia before. Just for the record, there has been NO Columbia students who have jumped ship for Med school, but there have been close to double digits of MDs applying to dental school every year. ;) (I am so gonna start a war here)

There are MD's in every class currently at Columbia. The curriculum at Columbia is almost as equal and may surpass some med schools. Although similar, there are still many differences.

Side note: It is funny to see ER residents stare at a CT and freak out at the scatter from amalgam restorations or when 2nd year dental students on hospital rotations can diagnose odontogenic infections of fascial spaces in the head and neck better than the MDs. ;)

Man, am I about to start a ****storm.

I respectfully disagree, it is not a tie in the sense that one is not interchangeable for the other. Having said that, life is short and you should do what will ultimately make you happy. My class alone at MCV had 3 ex-dental students. Being Viet, I personally know many ex-dental students who kept trying until they finally got accepted into med school and started back as M1's:scared: :scared: :scared:

Do Vietnamese people like becoming family MDs?

What do you mean? I could have gone either the medicine or dentistry route, and lifestyle trumped it for me. Also, dentists make more money, by far now. Dentistry is not HMO controlled, the average general dentist makes more than a general family physician ($185,000 per year last I looked), works much less, on average 35 hours a week, and when you get into the dental specialties, ie. pediatric dentistry and orthodontics, the average income jumps to around $400,000 per year. I am a pediatric dental resident currently and the average starting salary is between $200,000 to $300,000 per year working only 4 days a week. How can you beat that. I am sick of MD's or MD want-a-be's putting down my profession which I think is a much smarter choice.

Dude, chill bro. Those numbers you posted are a little off and second you have to realize that as a dentist you may be pulling in $300,000 but a lot of that is going to cover overhead for running a business and keeping employees happy. Second a lot of med students could never get over the sitting in a chair and stairing at peoples mouths all day thing. In general Med school is considered more challenging with more options at the end. Yes we bust our butts in residency and typically work longer than you guys but its worth it to us becuase the work itself feels more rewarding. If your happy looking at mouths, cool. Most of us aren't so chill out.

I haven't read much of the thread because it looks like a lot of unnecessary flaming, but here is my opinion based on the OP.

Transfer in the sense that you start someplace other than the beginning of M1? I don't see it. The med school wants your full tuition even if you've had some of the material before. Transfer as in get admitted with the other M1's? No problem if your application is commensurate.

Do Vietnamese people like becoming family MDs?
I think vietnamese like most asian cultures there is a big push by the family to become a doctor of any kind not just family.

Are you actually serious when you say that people do not change careers based on admissions tests? You're serious when you say that? The MCAT is harder than the DAT. There is a reason why the largest test prep company (KAPLAN) routinely hires MCAT instructors to teach all pre-health admissions tests, including DAT, OAT, PCAT with the implicit understanding that if you have done well on the MCAT, you can teach any of the other exams.

That is not to say that MD's and future MD's dont care about other people. I don't know how you make that leap of logic there.

By the way, I would venture to guess that at least 75% of pre-meds still know nothing about the DO route so DO is not the default fallback option for med school as you would assume.

What do you mean? I could have gone either the medicine or dentistry route, and lifestyle trumped it for me. Also, dentists make more money, by far now. Dentistry is not HMO controlled, the average general dentist makes more than a general family physician ($185,000 per year last I looked), works much less, on average 35 hours a week, and when you get into the dental specialties, ie. pediatric dentistry and orthodontics, the average income jumps to around $400,000 per year. I am a pediatric dental resident currently and the average starting salary is between $200,000 to $300,000 per year working only 4 days a week. How can you beat that. I am sick of MD's or MD want-a-be's putting down my profession which I think is a much smarter choice.

I don't see anyone putting down your profession in this thread aside from stating the obvious that the MCAT is more difficult than the DAT. Dentistry definitely has carved out a nice niche in the healthcare field but its undeniable that physicians are the established "leaders" in all of healthcare. Whining or bragging about how much money one can make as a dentist is not going to change that fact.

if you want to pursue an MD after a DDS/DMD, then you can become an oral surgeon. it's an add'l 6yrs of schooling after dental school, where you'll also pick up an MD along the way.

just on a side note, whenever i was shadowing doctors, they would all tell me to go become a dentist:D :D because they get to see their familes and have normal lives (NOTE: DONT GET ALL PSYCHO AND CRAZY CAUSE I POSTED THIS ):D :D

Smoking hot blondes can do whatever they please. :D

When I interviewed at UB, there was a smoking hot blonde who was transferring from DDS to MD... not that it has to do with anything, but that is my one story for DDS to MD.

Smoking hot blondes can do whatever they please. :D

Teacher who got no jail time for sleeping with 13 year old student.
badteach2.jpg

Teacher who got 10 years for sleeping with 13 year old student.
teacher_sex_wxs105.jpg