chiropractic school to prepare for the D school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddschris

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
d

Members don't see this ad.

how about one year MS program instead?

I think looking into other professions is wise.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey all,

I was rejected by 24 dental schools last year
because my GPA was not that good.
However, I do have a decent DAT scores (aa21 pat 21 ts21),
so I was planning to take more science courses to help my case.

Then I found out about chiropractic school.
I understand that first two years of C school is pretty much
like the D school or medical school, mostly hardcore
science stuffs(anatomy, biochem etc..)

So I was thinking, would that be ok if I spend next year or so
in chiropractic school? My logic was, that will well prepare me in terms of upper level science courses. In addition, if I don't get in to dental school
next year as well, I can just stay in chiropractic school, and be a chiropractor or whatever they call it.

I want to be a dentist as much as anyone in this forum,
but reality is reality, and I don't think chiropractic
is not that bad field to be in. especially if I don't belong to the dental schools.

so what do you guys think?

Will the adcom hate this idea too much?

thanks all for your time in advance.

Your DAT is good and if your gpa is decent as well, i think you should try again next year. however, your shortcomings probably do not lie in your scores...maybe other areas of your application. as for chiro school, i would suggest against it. according to articles ive read...chiro school applicant pool has dropped some 15% over the past decade or so. Also, their not integrated with the other health care professions. also, their education (sublaxation) has little research to back it up. i think going to chiro school to prepare for your dental education is also impractical. I think almost all, if not all, chiro schools are private. dental school is costly enough, there is no need to feed the fire. if you truly want to prepare for dental school, do a masters program or take some cc classes. heck, if you have the motivation, spend some time on amazon and purchase the text books for dental school. for more exposure to the chiro profession, please check out these sites:

http://chirotalk.proboards3.com/index.cgi
http://www.chirobase.org/
http://www.chirobase.org/05RB/BCC/08.html

If your truly interested in manipulate muscles or holistic approaches. there is always DO or Physical Therapy that is highly regarded and has plenty of literature that supports their treatments.

I think looking into other professions is wise.

Nothing wrong with looking into other professions, but using a professional program as a intermediate to get into dental school seems a little foolish.

A) you are possibly taking the spot of someone with a real interest in becoming a chiropractor knowing that you will ultimately be leaving that spot vacant.
B) it doesn't seem like you have any interest in becoming a chiropractor, so why would you want to become "a chiropractor or whatever they call it" if you don't get into a school again.
C) refer to the post above this by Envision

If you're interested in getting into dental school, I think looking into a Master's program or just taking some of the upper level science courses would be a much wiser idea. And just how med school rejects may be looked upon unfavorably, a chiro school dropout may be looked upon the same way. You want to prove to the admissions people that you have a real interest in dentistry, not just a passing thought.

DONT go to chiropractic school.

From a patient's perspective, I think it would be awesome if you went to and graduated from chiropractic school because it could give you a more holistic approach to your dental practice as well. Also, it could possibly help people that are having other problems with their body, too. Anyways, good luck with your decision!

Well if you decide to go to chiro school, then you will have to finish the school in order to be accepted in any dental school. You can't drop out of school after a year in hopes of getting into a dental school because it will look really bad on your file. If you really want to go to dental school, then do masters for a year and finish it while you wait for next year's cycle. Or, you can go to chiro school and finish it (however long it takes) and then apply for dental school after graduating. I think both are great fields to get into, its just that which one do you like more over the other!

Go to chiropractic school if you truly want to be a chiropractor. If not, just focus yourself on getting into dental school.

look for a master program...a good stepping stone would be something like a MPH program....

i have to agree with what has been said. if you arent serious about being a chiropractor then dont take a spot away from someone who wants to be one.
im pretty sure it would not look good to dental school adcoms. try a masters program or post bacc program if you are looking to improve your grades.

hey all,

in chiropractic school? My logic was, that will well prepare me in terms of upper level science courses. In addition, if I don't get in to dental school
next year as well, I can just stay in chiropractic school, and be a chiropractor or whatever they call it.

is not that bad field to be in. especially if I don't belong to the dental schools.

Hey, you can make big bucks doing Chiropractic, expecially if its a private practice. I know a middle aged guy living in a 5 million dollar house with side business that kicked all of it off through his private practice...

i think there are wiser ways to build your DENTAL school application. if it was me, i wouldn't go through another professional school when my ultimate goal is dentistry. not only would it not look good that you're applying while you're in the middle of another program (who's to say you wouldn't do the same thing with your dental program?), but the fact that you entered another professional program would convey the message that you're not focused engouh on dentistry.

but it depends on what your situation is... how old are you? are you at a point when you absolutely need to enter a career right now? maybe you can do something else for a couple of years... like go through a masters program that has something to do with dentistry or oral biology, and then reapply. there are a bunch of masters programs available that can boost your GPA.

don't give up! stay focused! good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey all,

i go to a chiropractor school for my undergrad in hollywood called cleveland chiropractic. and the stress level seems so high for example a third of the students fail their classes.they take about 8 courses a semester-pretty intense stuff.i would do an ms or retake some classes.
unless you want to adjust people go for it. but its not something you can just squeeze by and pass you really have to study their. plus the tuition is like 30k a year. gdluck

hey all,

This idea seems crazy. Do one or the other. If you want to do chiropractic, then do it. Or try dental again and if that doesn't work, then do your second best option. I don't think adcom would admit someone who's already in professional school for something else. How do they know you're not just using chiro to get into dent and then dent to get into med and then med to get into... i dunno. Do a MS if anything.

your dat scores are good and your gpa might not have been too bad. i agree with some of the other people and think that possibly the problem with your application might be in other areas. are you lacking in dental experience, etc?

if i were you, i'd look into a master's program most likely in bio or some related science. do well and get some more shadowing under your belt.

honestly, if i were you, i would call one of the schools that rejected you and just honestly say "what can i do to make my application better?"

though i wouldn't recommend using chiropracty school as a stepping stone to dental. i don't think that going that route would work. i think that you're better off just asking what was wrong and then trying to make up for that and do a master's. then when you apply to dental schol again, you can also apply to chiropractory school at the same time as a back-up. there's no shame in that.

just rememebr you're going to get yourself there. if this is really and truly your dream, then you'll get there. just don't sweat it. and :luck:

I think chiropractors have a great purpose... don't know how much dental schools like to see you were considering a different health field first though. What is so wrong is that my brother has 4 friends with a doctorate. Fake names... One is a lawyer (Jim), one is a dentist (Bob), one is a DO (Paul) and one is a chiropractor (Sean). His friends address them respectively like this:
Hello doctor, doctor, doctor, Sean. It's so bad bc 'sean' IS a doctor! It is too bad chiropractors don't get more respect...did you see that one cure a girl's case of chronic hiccups..I think in Florida? That was COOL!

I think chiropractors have a great purpose... don't know how much dental schools like to see you were considering a different health field first though. What is so wrong is that my brother has 4 friends with a doctorate. Fake names... One is a lawyer (Jim), one is a dentist (Bob), one is a DO (Paul) and one is a chiropractor (Sean). His friends address them respectively like this:
Hello doctor, doctor, doctor, Sean. It's so bad bc 'sean' IS a doctor! It is too bad chiropractors don't get more respect...did you see that one cure a girl's case of chronic hiccups..I think in Florida? That was COOL!

The reason why chiropractors do not get respect especially from MD/DO is because their treatment beliefs defy conventional medical practices. I have seen adds from DC that claim to cure everything from A to Z in the body without any kinds of scientific backing other than " chiropratic adjustments will cure your diabetes". Last night on TV, there was an add for a device that will help people with arthritis pain. It is a device that shines red light and all you do is to pass this thing through and you can get up from your wheel chair and start doing parachuting! A chiropractor endorses the add. I am sure medical professionals would laugh at it and I did. I see great benefits from chiropratic adjustments such as back pain but DCs claim too much and that is embarassing. How would our dental profession look if we start to claim that preventing cavities will resolve your impotence or orthodontic therapy will resolve your blindness. Practice within your discipline and don't make more that what you are. DCs are chirpractors, not physicians. True, they should be addressed as " doctors" because the degree they earned is the terminal and that makes it legal. However, when ask of what they do, I have heard countless replies as " I am a doctor. I am a physician". And when asked " What is your specialty", then they say chiropractic". Why didn't they just say " I am a chiropractor" in the first place? DP

The reason why chiropractors do not get respect especially from MD/DO is because their treatment beliefs defy conventional medical practices. I have seen adds from DC that claim to cure everything from A to Z in the body without any kinds of scientific backing other than " chiropratic adjustments will cure your diabetes". Last night on TV, there was an add for a device that will help people with arthritis pain. It is a device that shines red light and all you do is to pass this thing through and you can get up from your wheel chair and start doing parachuting! A chiroprator endorses the add. I am sure medical professionals would laugh at it and I did. I see great benefits from chiropratic adjustments such as back pain but DCs claim too much and that is embarassing. How would our dental profession look if we start to claim that preventing cavities will resolve your impotence or orthodontic therapy will resolve your blindness. Practice within your discipline and don't make more that what you are. DCs are chirpractors, not physicians. DP

Sort of agree with you. Of course this is why they don't get the most respect I suppose...I would like to think though that there are enough people out there that would be open minded enough to consider that there may just be some unorthodox explanations. After seeing MDs, the girl with chronic hiccups for a month resorted to seeing a DC. I'm wondering how many MDs would have laughed at her before the treatment worked. Pigeon-holing probably isn't the best route to treatment anyway, for a dentist or a doctor of any sort. On the other hand, I agree with you too that if it can't be scientifically proven or explained, it's a hard sale and I have a hard time buying it. If we didn't, we wouldn't be interested in this field. Right?

Sort of agree with you. Of course this is why they don't get the most respect I suppose...I would like to think though that there are enough people out there that would be open minded enough to consider that there may just be some unorthodox explanations. After seeing MDs, the girl with chronic hiccups for a month resorted to seeing a DC. I'm wondering how many MDs would have laughed at her before the treatment worked. Pigeon-holing probably isn't the best route to treatment anyway, for a dentist or a doctor of any sort. On the other hand, I agree with you too that if it can't be scientifically proven or explained, it's a hard sale and I have a hard time buying it. If we didn't, we wouldn't be interested in this field. Right?

I am all open minded. I am a Christian so I believe that illness can be cured by a simple blessing. But that is only reserved for a higher being. At least God's miracles were recorded in the Bible, I don't see anything of DC claims recorded on records, do you? DP

I am all open minded. I am a Christian so I believe that illness can be cured by a simple blessing. But that is only reserved for a higher being. At least God's miracles were recorded in the Bible, I don't see anything of DC claims recorded on records, do you? DP

I shouldn't go into this... but I think God maybe say gave us science so we could treat things... I'm catholic but still know I can catch an infectious disease from sipping wine out of a communal cup ;) no matter what the nuns tried to tell me. There are chiropractic journals as you know. As far as I know, they don't speak in parables. Then again, I am a contextualist, not a literalist anyhow...I can't find it in me to buy the story of Adam and Eve or that Noah could fit 2 of every animal on his Ark.

How would our dental profession look if we start to claim that preventing cavities will resolve your impotence.

Hey, that's a topic for the systemic dentistry thread. However, DP you shouldn't discount a possible correlation...the person is impotent because they've lost their self confidence because their smile is lacking.

Hey, that's a topic for the systemic dentistry thread. However, DP you shouldn't discount a possible correlation...the person is impotent because they've lost their self confidence because their smile is lacking.

LOL KOM...Yeah...who needs a pill for erectile dysfunction when you can go to the dentist and kill 2 birds with one stone :p This thread may go a little too far.

Having a father that is a Chiropractor, I have firm belief in the value of the service they provide. Maintinence and routine checkups for the spine should be as regular as routine check ups for the teeth. I think the fringe DC's that claim all the instant cures for all kinds of aliments really hurt the profession. With that there are alot of really incredible things about chiropractic that are not yet known how or why they happen. My father always said that the most intelligent group of working professionals were dentists because they got the word out that maintinance is nessesary, and that you should see your dentist every six months. If only DC's could get people to understand this is the same with your spine I truly believe the overall health of the nation would improve. To the OP dont waste your time in DC school if dental school is what you want. Go do a masters that will raise your GPA and kill the DAT. Also keep in mind DC's can live just as nicely as a dentist, and their school is alot cheaper. You will have to overcome a few stereotypes so keep that in mind.

Don't go to Chiropractic school unless you want to be a chiropractor. It will be a waste of time and you will be in an occupation that you really did not want to begin with.

With that there are alot of really incredible things about chiropractic that are not yet known how or why they happen.

About two years ago, I read online through a newspaper that a DC in Oregon lost his chiropractic license because he treated a female patient for migraine headache through "vaginal adjustments" technique. The article went on saying that during trial, some DCs testified that vaginal adjustments stimulate a type of nerve that will treat people suffered with migaine. I wonder how far some DCs go sometimes... I am not being sacastic but does vagina adjustment technique treat miraine? I have migraine sometimes and I would like to know what I can massage down there to take care of my problem? DP

I have migraine sometimes and I would like to know what I can massage down there to take care of my problem? DP

You're out of luck because you don't have a vagina. Or do you?

Yes, some chiropractors are crazy. This doesn't neccesarily mean ALL chiropractors are crazy.

Hell, their was a dentist convicted a few years ago of injecting "bodily fluids" in to his female patients mouths. Does that mean all dentists think that is an acceptable practice?

Yes, some chiropractors are crazy. This doesn't neccesarily mean ALL chiropractors are crazy.

Hell, their was a dentist convicted a few years ago of injecting "bodily fluids" in to his female patients mouths. Does that mean all dentists think that is an acceptable practice?

Its not that their all crazy. Like any field, you have your share of good and bad apples. Its just that chiros treatments (sublaxation) has little or no scientific evidence. As scientist, this is a big red flag. It has also be criticized that chiro's treatments often treat the symptom, and not the core of the problem. Because of these reasons, Chiros are excluded from other health care professions, which means no referral and no relationship with hospitals etc etc. For example, if a patient has bodily discomforts, the physician will refer him the to Physical therapist. This leaves chiros isolated and in order for them to strive, some resort to unethical measures such as false advertisement or unnecessary prolonged treatments. If you check out the link i posted earlier in this thread, you'll see more criticism on the philosophies chiropractics. The reason why chiro's have such a difficult time is because among the other reasons i stated above, they don't have a clear niche in today's health care system. They compete against MD/DO GPs for primary care and they compete against DPT and DO when it comes to body manipulation. Some patients are interested in the holistic approach, but again, that can be done by a DO as well.

Totally random question.. but do chiro's really make that much in the states? ... in canada its like 60k avg.

I wouldn't do it. The problem with the chiropractic profession is that it is not seen as a legitimate science. There is no research confirming that spinal adjustments actually work (Chiropractors will claim there are recent articles that say otherwise, and I say Bulls**t). When I see the medical profession back chiropractors I might have a little more faith in it.

Moreover, Chiropractors, I believe, are never allowed to promote themselves as doctors unless they have the "D.C." after their name (this mandate is not given to "legitimate" science fields). Although this "doctor" stuff isn't that important, it does show you that there are restrictions. Something that you might also want to pay attention to is that not one chiropractic school is linked with a university that has other fields such as medicine, dentistry, etc. In fact, FSU was planning to build a chiropractic school and some of the faculty threatened to quit. http://www.alligator.org/pt2/050114fsu.php

I think it would be more damaging to your record to go to chiropractic school. I would suggest, like many others on here have suggested, to get a master's degree and save yourself the humiliation. If you want to be a chiropractor then that's a different ball game.

Good luck!

I'm in a situation too where I am not sure if I should take another program or do a masters program. If I do a masters, how long should I wait to apply into dental school? Lets say I start in the fall, can I apply into dental schools for the 08 cycle already or should I wait a year to get a year of great gpa?

I'm in a situation too where I am not sure if I should take another program or do a masters program. If I do a masters, how long should I wait to apply into dental school? Lets say I start in the fall, can I apply into dental schools for the 08 cycle already or should I wait a year to get a year of great gpa?

i think you should probably get established in the program before you apply, otherwise your application would be reviewed based only on your undergrad performance. check with some dental schools to see what they recommend.

If you want to get better credentials for DS, do this. Get enrolled in a Masters program in health sciences. First, it will prepare you well for the DAT section. Second, your GPA WILL improve. That is because in graduate school, a B is like a C in undergrad so unless you are completetly wacked out, you should get at least a 3.5 GPA and that will help you. Plus, the maturity of getting post graduate work is a plus. Enrolling in CS is a waste of time. First, why study something that you don't believe in. Second, the classes at CS don't prepare you for DS (like back adjustments). Third, it is more expensive for the tuition. So forget about CS for DS. DP

FYI- University of Bridgeport
From my experience, the master programs are usually a waste of time, especially if you had a C average undergrad.

University of Bridgeport...my point exactly. Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine??? You can't be serious. I made the point that no four-year awards the D.C. degree that also awards degrees such as the D.O., M.D. or D.D.S/D.M.D.

FYI. Getting a master's is probably the best thing you can do for your app.

If you had C's undergrad you had better get straight A's in the masters or else you wasted your money.

Even if you had a B or B+ average in undegrad, you better get straight A's. I think a C average undergrad GPA is going to need more than a master's. You will need to do exceptional on the DAT and get at least a master's.

I'm getting a masters. Dont see any way around it. A MS in biology looks good because it improves your app and also doesnt tell adcoms that you are looking at other professions, where they would question your commitment to dentistry.

Although there is not one chiropractic school associated with a medical or dental school in the U.S., would you knock down this one for being associated with a Nursing program and Physical Therapy program?

http://www.dyc.edu

I believe that chiropractic program is not yet accredited.

Although there is not one chiropractic school associated with a medical or dental school in the U.S., would you knock down this one for being associated with a Nursing program and Physical Therapy program?

The Website says that it is accredited by peer membership, non-govermental body and to me it sounds like it is accredited by the school supporters rather than an official organization. With "instant" scholarship of 52,000 bucks sounds like they are desperate for students? Anybody has any comments? DP

HOw much do those Chiropractors make anyways???
higher or lower than a dentist????

Yeah, unfortunately I would. Although there is great demand for the nursing profession and it plays an integral role in our healthcare system, becoming a nurse is not that involved. In fact, you can become an RN by going to a junior college or a technical school. My point is, the chiropractic profession does not have the support of the medical or dental community, which ultimately oversee all of our health issues. When this changes, my view of the profession might change; however, I don't see this happening anytime soon due to the fact that no one has been able to publish any research legitimizing the chiropractic field and proving that their treatments actually work. Some suggest that chiropractors border on the unethical side of medicine, suggesting and carrying out treatments that have no scientific proof (just a thought).

Yeah, unfortunately I would. Although their is great demand for the nursing profession and it plays an integral role in our healthcare system, becoming a nurse is not that involved. In fact, you can become an RN by going to a junior college or a technical school. My point is, the chiropractic profession does not have the support of the medical or dental community, which ultimately oversee all of our health issues. When this changes, my view of the profession might change; however, I don't see this happening anytime soon due to the fact that no one has been able to publish any research legitimizing the chiropractic field and proving that their treatments actually work. Some suggest that chiropractors border on the unethical side of medicine, suggesting and carrying out treatments that have no scientific proof (just a thought).

Sometimes I wonder if the lack of chiropratic scientific studies is due to the fact that they do not want to have a study that shows chiropractic treatments don't work on the things they claim to work. DP

Also insurance wont pay for a lot of procedures, which forces them to not charge an arm and a leg in order to stay in business. Result: lower income.

hey all,

what is your gpa? your dat looks really good so your gpa shouldnt really matter that much