Official 2008 Secondary Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone know if we have to wait for an email from Dartmouth before we can submit the secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

For U. of Cincinnati's prompt regarding "major activities" in your gap year, is it okay to write a short blurb (3 sentences) about your job and add in another 2-3 sentences to talk about one thing that you do for fun (a hobby)? Or is it best to answer and move on?

Bump. I've only received one response and I want more opinions if y'all have any.

Members don't see this ad :)
Y'know, this is a little random but I just got the nicest sounding and most informative secondary email from NJMS. Certainly a nice change from the terse, don't-call-us-read-the-directions secondaries I've been getting.

I mean a link to a video? All the important files attached to the email? Score!!

just wanted to make sure...Yale's secondary doesn't ask for a pic right?

I agree. I wouldn't say my answers were single paragraphs though, but definitely without formal intro's or conclusions.

Same here. Instead of an intro/conclusion paragraph, I just have a sentence each. With the word limit, it's really hard to write a formal essay (with 3 or 5 paragraphs). I think we have no choice but to go straight into what we want to say. It was really weird at first, but after writing a few secondaries like that, it definitely has become a little more bearable :)

does anyone know if we have to wait for an email from Dartmouth before we can submit the secondary?

No, you don't have to wait, but if Dartmouth hasn't received your AMCAS yet (even if you listed the school in your AMCAS, and the app was processed already), you wouldn't be able to submit your secondary.

Hey, can someone with more forum skills than me set up a list of the secondary questions like we had in the 2007 Secondary Thread?

Thanks. I'd do it, but I have no clue how to keep it at the bottom and such.

There already is one on this thread, there just hasn't been many 2ndary apps sent this week.

there is no character or word limit for umdnj-njms supplemental... are people just writing whatever fits in that space?

the only questions are for non-residents

4a. Please describe the specific and/or unique reasons you have applied to NJMS.

4b. Do you have any current or past connections to New Jersey?
(i.e. family, friends, previous residence, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
AECOM - invitation
Baylor - online
Boston - e-mail invite
Cincinnati - e-mail invite
Columbia - email invite
Cornell - email invitation
Dartmouth - online
GW - email invitation
Eastern Virginia - e-mail invite
FSU - email invitation
Jefferson - e-mail invite
Johns Hopkins - online
Kentucky - email invitation
MCW - e-mail invite
Meharry - online
Ohio state - email invitation
Pitt-email invite
SUNY Downstate - not sure
SUNY Upstate - Email Invite
Tulane - online
UAB - email
U at Buffalo - no essays
UConn - online
UF- email
U of Kentucky
UMDNJ-RWJMS - email invitation, no essays
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School -- email invite
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMich - Email Invite
UMC - email
Rochester - snail mail invite
UOk - e-mail invite
UVermont - Email Invite
UWisc - E-mail Invite
WashU - email invite
Yale - online

Instructions to Edit the List

has anyone else recieved Georgetown's secondary app? because I definitely haven't.

has anyone else recieved Georgetown's secondary app? because I definitely haven't.
I did this morning at like 4 am. They sent it twice to me. There was an error on the first email link.

I didn't get BU's yet, but some ppl have. strange...

ARGH. For Boston University, neither their website nor the current MSAR says that they require calculus. On BU's own website it says the required courses are:

- English Composition or Literature (1 year)
- Humanities (1 year)
- General Chemistry (1 year) with Lab
- Organic Chemistry (1 year) with Lab
- Physics (1 year)
- Biology (1 year) with Lab

However, in the secondary, it lists calculus as a REQUIRED course and you need to fill in how many semesters of it you have taken. It lists as RECOMMENDED a bunch of others like genetics, biochem, etc.

I'm just annoyed because I would have preferred to have not thrown $30 away for no good reason. I did my research, and trusted that the MSAR and BU's own website would set forth if calculus was required. It's too late to talk to the office now, so I guess I'll just have to wait until Monday to clear this up. I'm guessing that they changed calculus to a required course, but forgot to update MSAR and their web site. Anyone else think that's not quite fair of them?

FYI: I just called BU and they said that calculus is a recommended course even though it says required on the secondary. Guess someone made a mistake.

One of the questions on the JHU secondary is: Briefly describe your most rewarding Experience or some achievement of which you are particularly proud.

Do you think it would be wrong to talk about an achievement I got from my work in high school? I think that would be my most sincere answer, but if they're looking for things from college, it wouldn't fit all that well (except that I found out about it after I graduated high school). Any opinions?

I did this morning at like 4 am. They sent it twice to me. There was an error on the first email link.

I didn't get BU's yet, but some ppl have. strange...

Same here. Received 2 emails from Georgetown this morning about 8am ET. Haven't received BU's though...

Has anyone gotten Pitt's essays to save yet?

For those who have received the BU or Georgetown secondaries, can you post the essay questions, if any?
Thanks so much!

wow.. i just happened to check my spam box, and georgetown's secondary was in there...........

Still missing mine but I got a reply from admiss office:
We received downloads from AMCAS about 1.5 weeks ago. Our secondary application does go to all applicants, but we only begun sending it out on Friday to a small amount of applicants. We hope to send this information to more applicants, in increments, by the end of today.

wow.. i just happened to check my spam box, and georgetown's secondary was in there...........

gmail marked Georgetown's secondary as spam also. better start checking the spam mailbox

For those who have received the BU or Georgetown secondaries, can you post the essay questions, if any?
Thanks so much!

This is Georgetown's essay:

Why have you chosen to apply to Georgetown University School of Medicine, and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? Please note: You have a maximum of 5000 characters (about 1 single-spaced page in Times New Roman font) to complete this essay.)

AECOM - invitation
Baylor - online
Boston - e-mail invite
Columbia - email invite
Dartmouth - online
GW - email invitation
FSU - email invitation
Johns Hopkins - online
MCW - e-mail invite
Meharry - online
New Jersey Medical School -- email invite
Tulane - online
UAB - email
U at Buffalo - no essays
UConn - online
UF- email
U of Kentucky
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMich - Email Invite
UMC - email
UOk - e-mail invite
UVermont - Email Invite
UWisc - E-mail Invite
WashU - email invite
Yale - online

I don't think the Rochester's secondary is available yet (I believe it will be available July 6). The questions listed under Rochester are Pitt's secondary questions, I believe. I didn't want to change the list, though, in case I'm wrong.

I've gotten Georgetown's secondary app... but I haven't gotten Meharry, AECOM, or Suny Downstate yet.

First IL secondary! Just got Pritzker! I know they don't screen, but still exciting if you're an IL resident.

Edit: Rats. I spoke too soon. The link to the actual app (on their website) doesn't work. Perhaps it'll be up later.... Anyone else get in to start it?

First IL secondary! Just got Pritzker! I know they don't screen, but still exciting if you're an IL resident.

Edit: Rats. I spoke too soon. The link to the actual app (on their website) doesn't work. Perhaps it'll be up later.... Anyone else get in to start it?

Ditto.

go the email, just checked and the link tot he actual app is still busted:mad:

Georgetown? If you copy and paste the URL (not just clicking the link) into your browser, that should work.

I'm guessing GreenMudPhud is talking about the U of Chicago link. They just sent an email invite this morning, and the link to the secondary on their site doesn't work.

First off, Good call Chudog15. I completely forgot to check my spam.

For the MD/PhD essay for Columbia, do you guys know of any length requirements/restrictions?

or do you have any suggestions?

https://secure.bsd.uchicago.edu/sap2008

i think they have to have your aamc id on file with your registered email address

3500 and 2400 characters respective

3A. At the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, we strive to identify students who will be a great "fit" with our medical school. Our Mission Statement is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. Please reflect on its content and write an essay describing why you see yourself as a great "fit" for Pritzker. Please include examples of past service, community, clinical, educational, and research experiences. Please also discuss your future goals.

"At the University of Chicago, in an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, the Pritzker School of Medicine is dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity."

3B. Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills that you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice.

I'm guessing GreenMudPhud is talking about the U of Chicago link. They just sent an email invite this morning, and the link to the secondary on their site doesn't work.

Georgetown did the same thing. Pasting the link into your browser works. Make sure you check your spam in Gmail.

I just got an email from Case Western and the application is online (https://iapply.cwru.edu/) although you have to have a password given in their email.

Also, just got Pritzker as well.

I just got the Case Western secondary as well. The questions are:

(Required)The Admissions Committee is interested in gaining insight into you as a person. Please describe an experience or situation which you found personally challenging and discuss how it helped to shape you as a person. You may discuss a moral or ethical dilemma, situation of personal adversity or other life-event you believe to have been important in your personal development. Please limit your essay to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs. If you cut and paste your essay from a word processing program, be sure to place your cursor at the end of the pasted text and click on the space bar. This assures that the program will save your text correctly.

(Required)One of the four pillars of the Western Reserve Curriculum 2 is Research and Scholarship. Although research is not a pre-requisite requirement for the University Program, if you have participated in a scholarly project please tell us about it. Describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and most importantly, any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Remember that research is broad-based and can include such projects as a senior capstone or a thesis and can include both medical and non medically-related investigations. If you have not participated in research or scholarly work, please indicate so in the text area below. Please limit your response to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs. If you cut and paste your essay from a word processing program, be sure to place your cursor at the end of the pasted text and click on the space bar. This assures that the program will save your text correctly.

AECOM - invitation
Baylor - online
Boston - e-mail invite
Columbia - email invite
Case Western Reserve- e-mail invite
Dartmouth - online
GW - email invitation
FSU - email invitation
Johns Hopkins - online
MCW - e-mail invite
Meharry - online
Pitt-email invite
Tulane - online
UAB - email
U at Buffalo - no essays
UConn - online
UF- email
U of Kentucky
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School -- email invite
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMich - Email Invite
UMC - email
UOk - e-mail invite
UVermont - Email Invite
UWisc - E-mail Invite
WashU - email invite
Yale - online

Does the University of Wisconsin no longer have a required essay? I was just glancing at the 2007 secondary questions and UW used to have the following question:

Required: What events in your life influenced your decision to become a physician?
This is to be an original essay written and edited by you and different from the AMCAS essay. (Limit response to 500 words.)

Is this no longer on there?...the current thread indicates there is only an optional 500 word essay

For those of you that have received the Wisconsin secondary, any confirmation would be appreciated.

Case's secondary doesn't look that bad. It's way better than JH.

Does the University of Wisconsin no longer have a required essay? I was just glancing at the 2007 secondary questions and UW used to have the following question:

Required: What events in your life influenced your decision to become a physician?
This is to be an original essay written and edited by you and different from the AMCAS essay. (Limit response to 500 words.)

Is this no longer on there?...the current thread indicates there is only an optional 500 word essay

For those of you that have received the Wisconsin secondary, any confirmation would be appreciated.

I concur. On the MSTP app: optional essay, chronological list of activities after college and research interests.
The required essay is not a part of this year's app.

UIC College of Medicine just e-mailed my password to their status page. No secondary sent yet, and for some reason they put in my permanent address instead of my preferred address. Ugh.

UIC College of Medicine just e-mailed my password to their status page. No secondary sent yet, and for some reason they put in my permanent address instead of my preferred address. Ugh.

Ditto - do they have an actual secondary then?

Rush is updating their infostatz page right now. I am guessing they are putting up their secondary since they said it would be available in July...

Status
Not open for further replies.