Official 2008 Secondary Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
UIC College of Medicine just e-mailed my password to their status page. No secondary sent yet, and for some reason they put in my permanent address instead of my preferred address. Ugh.

same here :)

how are people checking their status? for schools like GW, columbia, cornell, umdnj, jefferson... i havent seen a place where we can log on to see if they have received our materials?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email from UIC a minute ago. It does not include their secondary, but it does link you to the "status page"

Is everyone only "listing" your hobbies and leadership positions? Or describing them a little (info that is not on AMCAS)

UIC College of Medicine just e-mailed my password to their status page. No secondary sent yet, and for some reason they put in my permanent address instead of my preferred address. Ugh.

same.

Rush is updating their infostatz page right now. I am guessing they are putting up their secondary since they said it would be available in July...

yes i vaguely remember reading somewhere on their website that it would be available on july 15

I'm getting anxious! MSU-CHM is sooooooo sssssllllllllooooooowwwww.

Georgetown's Secondary is a bit weird. The MCAT date you select on the essay page does not display.

how are people checking their status? for schools like GW, columbia, cornell, umdnj, jefferson... i havent seen a place where we can log on to see if they have received our materials?

Cornell sends a link to their status page in the e-mail with the secondary invite. It should be like the third link in the e-mail.

Georgetown's Secondary is a bit weird. The MCAT date you select on the essay page does not display.

I'm having the same problem. It's like they don't accept it as a real test date. If you put in an April/August date in the past such as "4/05" it works. So I'm thinking it wasn't updated correctly to account for the increased number of test months.

I'm having the same problem. It's like they don't accept it as a real test date. If you put in an April/August date in the past such as "4/05" it works. So I'm thinking it wasn't updated correctly to account for the increased number of test months.

And it let you Certify the secondary after you did that? I keep getting "Basic elements incomplete" with no further explanation. I assume it's got to be my 4/2007 MCAT.

And it let you Certify the secondary after you did that? I keep getting "Basic elements incomplete" with no further explanation. I assume it's got to be my 4/2007 MCAT.

No, I didn't certify. I was just testing dates and previewing. I didn't want to certify without the right date.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I didn't certify. I was just testing dates and previewing. I didn't want to certify without the right date.

How silly of them.

In other news, UIC's status page is telling me to contact the office of admissions. Wonder what that's about - maybe they want to apologize for using my parents' address as my mailing address. :D

EDIT: No such luck, but UIC will be e-mailing links to the secondary tomorrow, 7/3.

How silly of them.

In other news, UIC's status page is telling me to contact the office of admissions. Wonder what that's about - maybe they want to apologize for using my parents' address as my mailing address. :D

EDIT: No such luck, but UIC will be e-mailing links to the secondary tomorrow, 7/3.
When I check my status page at UIC, where it says Current Status is Process Complete and contact college for further info..... is this what you guys have too?

When I check my status page at UIC, where it says Current Status is Process Complete and contact college for further info..... is this what you guys have too?

Mine says:

Supplemental Application not yet Sent -- Contact College Admissions at 312-996-5635,- Recommendations Requirements not yet Complete-

has everyone recieved secondaries from case western? i seem to be on the short end of the stick.

has everyone recieved secondaries from case western? i seem to be on the short end of the stick.

I haven't got mine yet either. I'm not sweating it... I've got plenty of other secondaries keeping me busy. Case'll show up soon

AECOM - invitation
Baylor - online
Boston - e-mail invite
Cincinnati - e-mail invite
Columbia - email invite
Cornell - email invitation
Dartmouth - online
GW - email invitation
Eastern Virginia - e-mail invite
FSU - email invitation
Jefferson - e-mail invite
Johns Hopkins - online
Kentucky - email invitation
MCW - e-mail invite
Meharry - online
Ohio state - email invitation
Pitt-email invite
SUNY Downstate - not sure
SUNY Upstate - Email Invite
Tulane - online
UAB - email
U at Buffalo - no essays
UConn - online
UF- email
U of Kentucky
UMDNJ-RWJMS - email invitation, no essays
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School -- email invite
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMich - Email Invite
UMC - email
Rochester - snail mail invite
UOk - e-mail invite
UVermont - Email Invite
UWisc - E-mail Invite
WashU - email invite
Yale - online

Instructions to Edit the List

I've asked this a couple of times but I never got a reply. I see that UAB is on this list and is e-mail invite but would someone please post the questions.

the list says EVMS is email invite?? I havent gotten an email invite. Has anyone gotten an email invite for EVMS yet?

If a school asks what health care related experiences have you had, would it be OK to pretty much use the same description from the primary application ?

My primary descriptions are pretty good paragraphs and I'm not really sure how I would change them to make them different and better ?

Thoughts ???

I've asked this a couple of times but I never got a reply. I see that UAB is on this list and is e-mail invite but would someone please post the questions.

i don't think anybody has received it yet.

If a school asks what health care related experiences have you had, would it be OK to pretty much use the same description from the primary application ?

My primary descriptions are pretty good paragraphs and I'm not really sure how I would change them to make them different and better ?

Thoughts ???

From the advice I've received from LizzyM and others, you should NEVER cut and past directly from your primary. If you really can't come up with anything new, or a new angle, at least paraphrase/re-write it without copying word for word. I've even seen several schools specifically say in the secondary not to copy from the primary when answering their supplemental questions.

As for descriptions of activities, if it's just a one liner, perhaps you can just cut and paste it if they don't say not to. Your call. I just wouldn't copy a lot of narrative. Who wants to read the same thing twice?

How lucky of you. :D They must not like me.

Hmmm.... I saw in the MSAR that EVMS does screen, but it must be based on gpa since they sent me a secondary, and I don't even have an MCAT score yet. Or maybe they're just sending the secondaries out in batches? I wouldn't get stressed over it just yet. But if you're concerned and/or it's a top choice, you could always call the admissions department and ask how they screen and if you can expect to receive a secondary. Good luck!

3A. At the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, we strive to identify students who will be a great "fit" with our medical school. Our Mission Statement is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. Please reflect on its content and write an essay describing why you see yourself as a great "fit" for Pritzker. Please include examples of past service, community, clinical, educational, and research experiences. Please also discuss your future goals. (3500 characters)

uh....do they seriously expect us to write about service, community, clinical, educational, research, AND future goals in 3500 characters?? AND reflect on their mission statement? what if we dont have substantial research and/or one or more of the others? i was just thinking of picking a few of those and elaborating...who wants to see a laundry list? unless uchicago does....

has anybody tried to answer this question yet? you'd think they'd put "or" but they put "and" so that makes me think i have to talk about all of those things...

Hmmm.... I saw in the MSAR that EVMS does screen, but it must be based on gpa since they sent me a secondary, and I don't even have an MCAT score yet. Or maybe they're just sending the secondaries out in batches? I wouldn't get stressed over it just yet. But if you're concerned and/or it's a top choice, you could always call the admissions department and ask how they screen and if you can expect to receive a secondary. Good luck!

I'm not actually worried about it. I was just joking. Though it is a state school for me so hopefully they'll show some love.

3A. At the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, we strive to identify students who will be a great "fit" with our medical school. Our Mission Statement is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. Please reflect on its content and write an essay describing why you see yourself as a great "fit" for Pritzker. Please include examples of past service, community, clinical, educational, and research experiences. Please also discuss your future goals. (3500 characters)

uh....do they seriously expect us to write about service, community, clinical, educational, research, AND future goals in 3500 characters?? AND reflect on their mission statement? what if we dont have substantial research and/or one or more of the others? i was just thinking of picking a few of those and elaborating...who wants to see a laundry list? unless uchicago does....

has anybody tried to answer this question yet? you'd think they'd put "or" but they put "and" so that makes me think i have to talk about all of those things...

I'm so with you on this one. I feel exactly the same way. I wrote the second essay already (which is more specific), but I'm dragging my feet a bit on this one. I feel like my personal statement touched on a lot of this already.

I guess I'll try to tie past relevant experiences into my goals and how that's a good fit with Pritzker as best I can. If you don't have some of the activities they mention (i.e., research), just talk about what you do have and make the most of it. At least that's my plan.

I concur. On the MSTP app: optional essay, chronological list of activities after college and research interests.
The required essay is not a part of this year's app.

i was going UWisconsin's today... is it just me or is it RIDICULOUS that we have to list all of our activities again? what are people doing for that? just pasting in AMCAS descriptions or writing new ones?

anyone else feel like they are drowning in secondaries already?? :scared:

i was going UWisconsin's today... is it just me or is it RIDICULOUS that we have to list all of our activities again? what are people doing for that? just pasting in AMCAS descriptions or writing new ones?

anyone else feel like they are drowning in secondaries already?? :scared:

I was holding off on that section because I wasn't sure how much I should repeat. I think that I will basically cut and paste.

And yes, I'm drowning... gasp...
And getting carple tunnel from so much frickin' typing

could someone post the questions from columbia? thanks!

could someone post the questions from columbia? thanks!

I thought these were posted earlier, but I didn't find them with a quick search.

1. What satisfactions do you expect to receive from your activities as a physician?*
Enter your response in essay format. LIMIT WRITING TO 2475 CHARACTERS.

2. In what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage?*
Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 760 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

3. Please list collegiate honors,awards, and memberships in honorary societies*
Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 345 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

4. About how many hours per week, if any, did you spend in work for which you were recompensed during the college year?*
LIMIT WRITING TO 200 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

5. What sort of work did you do (include summer employment)?*
Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 1100 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

6. If your education has been interrupted for any reason, please indicate briefly the reasons, the duration of the interruption and how your time was spent.
Enter your response in essay format. LIMIT WRITING TO 1300 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

7. If you have additional information that you would like to include with your application, compose a document offline in a word processor and upload it here.
Use this uploaded document to record any information that does not fit into the application form, including additional majors or colleges.
You may upload only one document here. Merge your information into a single file before uploading it.

For the Wash U section asking for the chronological order of activities after college, how much are people writing? Just a list, some descriptions, cut and paste AMCAS...?
Thanks

Columbia Questions:

1. What satisfactions do you expect to receive from your activities as a physician?*
Enter your response in essay format. LIMIT WRITING TO 2475 CHARACTERS.

2. In what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage?*
Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 760 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

3. Please list collegiate honors,awards, and memberships in honorary societies*
Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 345 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

4. About how many hours per week, if any, did you spend in work for which you were recompensed during the college year?*
LIMIT WRITING TO 200 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

5. What sort of work did you do (include summer employment)?*
Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 1100 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

6. If your education has been interrupted for any reason, please indicate briefly the reasons, the duration of the interruption and how your time was spent.
Enter your response in essay format. LIMIT WRITING TO 1300 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

7. If you have additional information that you would like to include with your application, compose a document offline in a word processor and upload it here.
Use this uploaded document to record any information that does not fit into the application form, including additional majors or colleges.
You may upload only one document here. Merge your information into a single file before uploading it.

Now my questions about this secondary...

For questions 2 and 3 are you guys literally just listing your activities with no description? (for example: I participated in x, y, and z)

Is question 4 referring to work during the semester when we would have class or does it mean any time of job during the year? Question 5 would make me think it means any time during the year, but the wording of "during the college year" throws me off...

Now my questions about this secondary...

For questions 2 and 3 are you guys literally just listing your activities with no description? (for example: I participated in x, y, and z)

Is question 4 referring to work during the semester when we would have class or does it mean any time of job during the year? Question 5 would make me think it means any time during the year, but the wording of "during the college year" throws me off...

I took it to mean during the academic year. #5 specifically includes summer employment, but I though #4 was to give them an idea if you were working while taking classes.

I'd like to hear what other did, since I haven't hit submit yet.

I didn't literally list for the whole space. I listed some activities, and then briefly explained the significance. Then listed another few activities.

I took it to mean during the academic year. #5 specifically includes summer employment, but I though #4 was to give them an idea if you were working while taking classes.

I'd like to hear what other did, since I haven't hit submit yet.

that was my interpretation of it too! whew for someone else thinking the same way.

I'm so with you on this one. I feel exactly the same way. I wrote the second essay already (which is more specific), but I'm dragging my feet a bit on this one. I feel like my personal statement touched on a lot of this already.

I guess I'll try to tie past relevant experiences into my goals and how that's a good fit with Pritzker as best I can. If you don't have some of the activities they mention (i.e., research), just talk about what you do have and make the most of it. At least that's my plan.

Actually, I wrote on this just a while ago. My suggestion for this was to just pick the activities that make you correlate with their mission. It's not too hard to understand. I think they said 'and' so as to not say 'or' and make you simply pick one. I'd say go for your most correlative activities and write. Relax? :)

Hey when is this thread going to be a sticky? Any mods reading this right now?

Hey when is this thread going to be a sticky? Any mods reading this right now?
When I wanted the PS reader list stickied, I had to PM a mod who was online at the time and she got it done within minutes.

Another vote each for Columbia and JH...they were SOOO LONG!

Case's isn't that long. I think someone posted the questions on here somewhere yesterday. 2 essays, I think a 3500 character limit each.

Since it looks like Jefferson is only taking LOR's via fax or VirtualEval, I emailed interfolio to see if they could fax LOR's and this was the response:

We will fax the documents for you if needed. However please know that we are currently working with Jefferson school of Medicine to see if its possible for them to receive electronically through Interfolio hopefully by the end of the first week of July.

However if you prefer it to be faxed please provide us a fax number and the typed of documents you want to include in the delivery and we will process it on our end. We will charge you $5 for the fax.

Actually, I wrote on this just a while ago. My suggestion for this was to just pick the activities that make you correlate with their mission. It's not too hard to understand. I think they said 'and' so as to not say 'or' and make you simply pick one. I'd say go for your most correlative activities and write. Relax? :)

I got Pritzker's application done all in one day. For the big essay (3A) I compared their mission statement and my experiences to describe how I would make a great fit.

Anything that I didn't discuss that I thought was interesting about my app. I saved for the last small essay - the "anything else" essay.

Status
Not open for further replies.