Official 2008 Secondary Essay Prompts Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The secondary is online but you have to print it out and pony express it. That said, I called and asked them this question a few days ago. The lady who I spoke with said that it would be alright if I completed the secondary and mailed it in, so go ahead and fill that baby out.

gracias

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone else, oh you know, kinda want to DIE after looking at the duke secondary? ye gods.

I got Mt. Sinai's via email this morning.

Some yes no questions, a question about race, and then two essays:

1) What diversity would you add to the class? (not exact wording, but it was about adding diversity, 250 words)

2) Why Mt. Sinai? (250 words also, I think)

I am pretty sure they don't screen...

Does anyone have the actual prompts? I'd just like to know the character limit. If you can work the word "pimp" into your reply I'll love you forever. As long as I can love other people too. And by love I mean sex up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have the actual prompts? I'd just like to know the character limit. If you can work the word "pimp" into your reply I'll love you forever. As long as I can love other people too. And by love I mean sex up.

What makes you special, someone who will add to the Mount Sinai community? (suggested 250 words or less)

Indicate the reasons for your specific interest in Mount Sinai. (suggested 200 words or less)

Wake Forest is out, I don't remember exactly what the essays were but they were something like this:

1-What service activity of yours had the most effect on other people
2-What service activity had the most effect on you.
3-Any additional info?

No limits on the words/chars as far as I could tell. For the first two I think they only want you to identify the activity, not write an essay about it, but I'm not totally sure. All I did was identify the activity. It's not a bad secondary, I was able to submit the same day I got it.

Yo, same deal as with MSSM, does anyone have the actual prompts? I submitted my AMCAS a couple of days ago. They are hoes. They ask for my transcripts and shizz. wtf?!? Then they have to "verify" it. I'm suspect.
Anyway, I'm not getting any of their special love jawn for a while - can someone hook me up with the deets i'm looking for? I'm here waiting - my love in hand, bathed in a red light....

edit: I love how the advertisement right below my post says: "Could Nursing be your passion? Take our quiz and find out"

I just wanted to point out that so far the link to Johns Hopkins just leads to some info about Harvard. Does anyone have the real Hopkins questions?
Thanks!

Yo, same deal as with MSSM, does anyone have the actual prompts?

Did you not read the post I put right above yours? Mt. Sinai secondary questions... THREE posts up.

I just wanted to point out that so far the link to Johns Hopkins just leads to some info about Harvard. Does anyone have the real Hopkins questions?
Thanks!

Someone messed with it... it was right in the beginning... http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/admissions/admissions.html Go there, and you can fill out the secondary right away.

Did you not read the post I put right above yours? Mt. Sinai secondary questions... THREE posts up.

you're a poo-poo head and i rather don't like you. i asked for the wake forest prompts. "same deal as with mssm". i was all appreciative and i was prepared to be nice to you and thank you for your original post but then you got all crappy on me. i rescind my original putative thanks and counter with a:
ca-ca breath.

edit: you're also a sententious [insert choice description]. for reals though.

Here you go Jebus, sorry I wasn't very exact when I first posted them.

1-In which service activity that you listed on your AMCAS application do you feel you made the biggest impact on someone else?
2-Which service activity that you listed on your AMCAS application do you feel made the biggest impact on you?
3-Optional box -- if you would like the committee to know anything else about you, etc.

you're a poo-poo head and i rather don't like you. i asked for the wake forest prompts. "same deal as with mssm". i was all appreciative and i was prepared to be nice to you and thank you for your original post but then you got all crappy on me. i rescind my original putative thanks and counter with a:
ca-ca breath.

I apologize, I did not read it slowly enough to catch the comparison, and I don't read the titles of posts.

That being said, I do hope your vocabulary (especially your insults) extends beyond 'poo-poo head' and 'ca-ca breath'.

Check your email for UC Davis 2nd.

they sent out e-mails last night i guess for their secondary!

SUPPLEMENTAL PERSONAL STATEMENT (REQUIRED):
How will you evaluate your success as a medical student? (Please submit on a separate sheet of paper, do not exceed one page.)

Using a general format similar to the one below, give us a chronological account of your major activities and employment, including volunteer and summer activities, for the five years immediately preceding your proposed entry to medical school. (Please submit on a separate sheet of paper, do not exceed one page.)

FROM (Mo/Yr To Mo/Yr) ACTIVITY (i.e. Work, School): BRIEF DESCRIPTION LOCATION (City/State)

Members don't see this ad :)
Links to Available Secondary Prompts

Albany Medical College - online, e-mail invite
Albert Einstein - online, e-mail invite
Baylor - online
Boston & update - e-mail invite
Brown - e-mail
Case Western - e-mail invite
Cincinnati - e-mail invite
Columbia - email invite
Cornell - email invitation
Creighton
Dartmouth - online
Duke
ECU (Brody) - email invite
Eastern Virginia Medical School - email invitation
Emory - e-mail invite, on or before August 15th
ETSU-Quillen
FSU - email invitation
Georgetown - e-mail invite
GW - email invitation
Harvard - e-mail invite
Indiana - Snail mail
Jefferson - e-mail invite
Johns Hopkins - online
Loyola - snail mail invite, online application
Mayo Medical School - Payment required just to look at primary application? Additional secondary application/fee unknown
Marshall
MCW - e-mail invite, no essays
Meharry - online
MSU-CHM - email invitation
Mt. Sinai - email
MUSC - E-mail invite
Northwestern
NYU and also NYU
New York Medical College- online via email invite, no essays involved
Ohio state - email invitation
OHSU - e-mail invite
Penn State - email
Pitt - e-mail invite
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
SLU - e-mail invite
South Carolina - e-mail invite
Stony Brook
SUNY Downstate - e-mail invite
SUNY Upstate - e-mail invite
Temple
Tufts
Tulane - online
University of Alabama - unknown
U at Buffalo - no essays
UChicago-Pritzker - e-mail invite
UCincinnati
UCLA (Geffen) - email invite
UConn - online
UCSD - email invite, 2 page personal statement
UF- email
UIC - e-mail invite
UIowa
UKentucky - e-mail invite
U of Louisville - e-mail invite
UMaryland
UMDNJ-RWJMS - e-mail invitation, no essays
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School - email invite
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMichigan - e-mail invite
UMinn Duluth - e-mail invite
UMC - e-mail invite
U Missouri - email invite
UNC- e-mail invite
UPenn - e-mail invite, no essays
USUHS - e-mail invite
UTSW - TMDSAS should be submitted first
Rochester - snail mail invite, no secondary essays, interview essays
UOk - e-mail invite
USC (Keck) - e-mail
USF - e-mail invite
UVA
UVermont - e-mail invite, no essays
UWisc - e-mail Invite
VCU
Wake Forest - email Invite
WashU - email invite
Wayne State - snail mail
Yale - online

This Year's Official Secondary Discussion Thread
Last Year's 2007 Secondary Thread

When were you verified?

I wouldn't sweat this comment. A few people would get it very early. I believe UCSD was like this, where a few people got it Friday before business hours ended and then Monday everyone in the first batch received it. Wait until next week before stressing out. I would be wary of any comment that does not post the secondary questions in the secondary essay prompt thread. :p

they sent out e-mails last night i guess for their secondary!

guess i missed the first cut...still my app status at ucsf says nothing about that so maybe they send em out in waves (hopefully)

For the challenge type questions do you think it would matter if i talk about a challenge i faced when i was 11 or should i talk about something more recent?

For the challenge type questions do you think it would matter if i talk about a challenge i faced when i was 11 or should i talk about something more recent?

My personal opinion (which is just that) is that it sort of depends on the significance of the challenge. My initial response was going to be that it should almost certainly be something more recent, but if it was an extremely challenging challenge (yeah, I'm out of words after doing all these secondaries) from when you were 11, it might be worth talking about, especially if it shaped who you are today.

Could someone please post what Yale's is? I know it's online, but I don't have an account there yet.

guess i missed the first cut...still my app status at ucsf says nothing about that so maybe they send em out in waves (hopefully)

If you don't make UCSF's cut with a 3.85 and a 40 MCAT, virtually no one will.

EDIT: I just saw this on their site. I had no idea so few get the secondary:

Frequently Asked Questions:

Do all applicants receive secondary applications?

No. Approximately 1500 applicants are approved for secondary applications after initial reviews by the Committee on Admissions.

Yea its not strictly numbers (though i wish it was, i don't think it should be since there is more to an applicant than that)

Considering they sent out info saying that they were reviewing apps in like the first week of July, I am pretty sure they want to take their time and read everyhitng in the primary before they decide. Regardless, I'd rather be rejected presecondary than post secondary since it saves some money.

the ucsf website isnt even working for those people invited for the secondary i.e. the create account function isnt working...ill call ucsf tomorrow and find out whats the deal

I wouldn't sweat this comment. A few people would get it very early. I believe UCSD was like this, where a few people got it Friday before business hours ended and then Monday everyone in the first batch received it. Wait until next week before stressing out. I would be wary of any comment that does not post the secondary questions in the secondary essay prompt thread. :p

Why doesn't anyone listen to me. :( This applies to UCSF, too. Just chill out. You will hear an uproar when something is REALLY released.

Why doesn't anyone listen to me. :( This applies to UCSF, too. Just chill out. You will hear an uproar when something is REALLY released.

Chilling. And you are being listened to.

P.S. There are no essays for the UCSF secondary (according to their website).

Chilling. And you are being listened to.

P.S. There are no essays for the UCSF secondary (according to their website).

O I know there aren't essays, but you know...

When a secondary is released (really released), people orgasm over it and thank everyone on SDN. :p I'm just saying all this excitement over "how come I didn't get one?" is usually because someone drop the bomb a little early. :p

When a secondary is released (really released), people orgasm over it and thank everyone on SDN. :p I'm just saying all this excitement over "how come I didn't get one?" is usually because someone drop the bomb a little early. :p

no hard feelings. california loveeee:love::love:

Ok, so people have or have not received the secondary? I agree, if a secondary as big as UCSFs was out I feel like it would get its own thread.

Ok, so people have or have not received the secondary? I agree, if a secondary as big as UCSFs was out I feel like it would get its own thread.

Maybe I should've joined the bandwagon and say...

CHECK YOUR E-MAILS! WEEKEND UCI POSTINGS! SECONDARIES ARE OUT!

Yale's only essay is a question on why you want to go to Yale, 500 word limit. Yay for being easy!

Congratulations! You have been invited to fill out a secondary application and interview for a position in the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine entering class of 2008. In order to schedule an interview you will have to fill out our electronic secondary application first which will be available on line by Friday August 10. Our first interview date is Thursday, August 16, 2007. You will be receiving a hard copy of a letter in the mail later this week with the web link and password information. I wanted to let you get started on completing the three short essay questions.

1st essay: Write a brief autobiography. As completely and precisely as possible, give a picture of yourself, your family, and events you consider important to you. In doing so, identify the values that are of greatest importance to you. If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation. (1200 word limit)

2nd essay: The learning environment of the medical school is enhanced by the inclusion of students with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences prior to medical school. What in your background or your experiences will uniquely contribute to this learning environment? (500 word limit)

3rd essay: Please discuss a challenging situation that you have faced in the past. Why was it challenging? How did you handle it? Knowing what you know now, would you do anything differently? What did you learn? (500 word limit)

Yale's only essay is a question on why you want to go to Yale, 500 word limit. Yay for being easy!

I honestly didn't find that essay easy. Yale is kind of a unique medical school and I think they put a bit more emphasis on fit than other schools. I've heard they pay more attention to essays than other schools.

yes! so excited ... plus i got it with a vandy interview!

i didn't get a ucsf secondary yet... does it mean they're definitely not interested? =(

i have a 40q, 3.9 gpa, 4.0 science gpa, and i'm applying mstp... but i'm from indiana.

also, stanford isn't out yet, right? these california schools are giving me such grief.

oh last question... my school uses virtual evals... so what do i do with university of indiana's recommendation forms? a rec from the Dean?? what??

BU optional essay... is it really optional.????

i didn't get a ucsf secondary yet... does it mean they're definitely not interested? =(

i have a 40q, 3.9 gpa, 4.0 science gpa, and i'm applying mstp... but i'm from indiana.

also, stanford isn't out yet, right? these california schools are giving me such grief.

oh last question... my school uses virtual evals... so what do i do with university of indiana's recommendation forms? a rec from the Dean?? what??

You're posting in the wrong thread. Post in either the thread about UCSF or the secondary thread. In any case, no one OOS has gotten the sec, and it might also be different for MSTP. Stanford will be out 8/15.

I got a snail mail invitation to complete the secondary today. It has a link to the online form. Not sure who said that it was an e-mail invite is right.

I got a snail mail invitation to complete the secondary today. It has a link to the online form. Not sure who said that it was an e-mail invite is right.

Same here. Could you access the secondary site, Jolie? I wasn't able to. :(

Didn't see University of Colorado's posted yet. Just got the email invite about an hour ago.

Here's the link: http://som.uchsc.edu/admissions/apponline.cfm

They want essays on 2 of the 5 possible topics, 2500 characters max each.

-Discuss an experience you have had in which cultural diversity, or the lack thereof, has made a difference
-Describe how the environment in which you lived while growing up has affected your decision to enter medicine
-Tell us about leadership positions you have held and what you have learned about yourself as a leader
-If no careers in health care were available at this time, tell us what your career plans would be
-Give an example of an experience or situation that was difficult for you and explain how you handled it

Baylor - online
Brown - e-mail
Columbia - email invite
Creighton
Dartmouth - online
Duke
ETSU-Quillen
FSU - email invitation
GW - email invitation
Harvard - e-mail invite
Indiana - Snail mail
Johns Hopkins - online
Mayo Medical School - Payment required just to look at primary application? Additional secondary application/fee unknown
Marshall
Meharry - online
Mt. Sinai - email
MUSC - E-mail invite
Northwestern
NYU and also NYU
OHSU - e-mail invite
Penn State - email
Pitt - e-mail invite
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
SLU - e-mail invite
Stony Brook
Temple
Tufts
Tulane - online
U at Buffalo - no essays
UCincinnati
UColorado
UConn - online
UF- email
UIC - e-mail invite
UIowa
UMaryland
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMC - e-mail invite
UNC- e-mail invite
USUHS - e-mail invite
UOk - e-mail invite
USC (Keck) - e-mail
USF - e-mail invite
UVA
UWisc - e-mail Invite
Vanderbilt
VCU
WashU - email invite
Wayne State - snail mail
Yale - online; prompt

Baylor - online
Brown - e-mail
Columbia - email invite
Creighton
Dartmouth - online
Duke
ETSU-Quillen
FSU - email invitation
GW - email invitation
Harvard - e-mail invite
Indiana - Snail mail
Johns Hopkins - online
Marshall
Meharry - online
Mt. Sinai - email
MUSC - E-mail invite
Northwestern
NYU and also NYU
OHSU - e-mail invite
Penn State - email
Pitt - e-mail invite
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
SLU - e-mail invite
Stony Brook
Temple
Tufts
Tulane - online
U at Buffalo - no essays
UCincinnati
UColorado
UConn - online
UCSF - no essays, update if necessary
UF- email
UIC - e-mail invite
UIowa
UMaryland
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMC - e-mail invite
UNC- e-mail invite
USUHS - e-mail invite
UOk - e-mail invite
USC (Keck) - e-mail
USF - e-mail invite
UVA
UWisc - e-mail Invite
Vanderbilt
VCU
WashU - email invite
Wayne State - snail mail
Yale - online; prompt

Baylor - online
Brown - e-mail
Columbia - email invite
Creighton
Dartmouth - online
Duke
ETSU-Quillen
FSU - email invitation
GW - email invitation
Harvard - e-mail invite
Indiana - Snail mail
Johns Hopkins - online
Marshall
Meharry - online
Mt. Sinai - email
MUSC - E-mail invite
Northwestern
NYU and also NYU
OHSU - e-mail invite
Penn State - email
Pitt - e-mail invite
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
SLU - e-mail invite
Stony Brook
Temple
Tufts
Tulane - online
U at Buffalo - no essays
UCincinnati
UColorado
UConn - online
UCSF - no essays, update if necessary
UF- email
UIC - e-mail invite
UIowa
UMaryland
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMC - e-mail invite
UNC- e-mail invite
USUHS - e-mail invite
UOk - e-mail invite
USC (Keck) - e-mail
USF - e-mail invite
UVA
UWisc - e-mail Invite
Vanderbilt
VCU
WashU - email invite
Wayne State - snail mail
Yale - online; prompt

Nice job! thanks for update.

BU optional essay... is it really optional.????

I go to BU undergrad; my premed advisor said that yes, it really is optional. Unless you have something meaningful to write, don't write it.

Not sure if someone posted this or not...

Wright State has no essays, but a $40 processing fee, an ohio residency petition only if you are claiming ohio residency, and a course requirement sheet that you fill out online

No one's heard from Drexel yet. Someone reported on a separate thread that the school would send them out in the next couple of weeks.

Got an email invite for the Drexel secondary this afternoon. No essays, just simple EC questions.