Mucinex-DM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikei3ball

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was taught in a clinical class that if someone has a mucus producing cough to avoid DXM to allow things to flow out better. How is there a product that combines guaifenesin and DM if they shouldn't be used together?

Members don't see this ad.

well, I'm not expert or anything, but I believe they're used together because the DM helps to eliminate the little "useless" coughs, while the guaifinesin helps to makes the "big" coughs more productive.

Or it is because guaifenesin doesn't work in the first place, so why not combine them, call it a dual acting product, and make a lot of money because more ingredients are better?

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was at my last retail job just starting out in my P-2 year, one of the upperclassmen was able to get into pubmed, log onto the journal access server, and print out that study where guifen was shown to be less efficacious than water in the amount of time the Mucinex drug rep was there giving his spiel...then show it to him and make him all flustered.

It remains to this days one of the most impressive computer speed searching displays I've ever seen.

Or it is because guaifenesin doesn't work in the first place, so why not combine them, call it a dual acting product, and make a lot of money because more ingredients are better?

It's sad. We hand generic guaifenesin IR tabs for $4, and the patient paid $13 for a half quantity of Mucinex because "they didn't want to take it as often."
(neither works anyway, as stated)

The DM suppresses the "small cough" but when you get a BIG COUGH then the mucinex which loosen the mucus will help you cough out the mucus! Yummy.

I have not personally read the studies, so I don't know the dosage of Guaifensin that was used. I have nothing but anecdotal evidence. In my experience, guaifenesin is effective if used at the higher dosage, usually 2400 mg/day.

As for the IR vs SR. It is not only easier, less doses per day and therefore easier to comply with the treatment but, since it lasts 12 hours the patient does not have to wake up to take the dose or be awakened by a coughing spasm since the medication as worn off....

What most people say, guaifensen does not INHIBIT a cough, but suppresses it. The supression of the cough allows your cough to be more productive.

What most people say, guaifensen does not INHIBIT a cough, but suppresses it. The supression of the cough allows your cough to be more productive.
HUH?

Guaifenesin thins out the mucus, making it less viscous and easier to cough up. But the only time you really cough stuff up is on the "big coughs that sort of involve your whole body."

Those annoying little girly coughs (I'm a girl, I can type that) that just keep you awake at night or embarrasingly interrupt class or a meeting--those do not move any mucus up. So, it's OK to take the dextromethorphan to raise the cough reflex threshhold and suppress those coughs, because those coughs don't really serve a purpose anyway. Then, if you VOLUNTARILY decide to make a big, nasty, gooey sounding cough, you can do that and propel up the mucus (which the guaifenesin PLUS lots of water has thinned out). I think combining the ingredients is fine.

oops. sorry. i didnt know why i typed guaifensen haha