I just owned a nurse.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I am incredulous re: the nurse who said, "hey you...", why wasn't this blatant disrespect, reported to the Director of Nursing, or even the Nurse Manager? Why not file a grievance? The behavior is deplorable, no matter who did it. I think as adults, there are ways of dealing with shabby behaviors, and it needn't entail stooping to the others level. In 10 years, I have never heard a nurse address anyone like that. Yes, I have witnessed extremely embarrassing behavior, just not specifically this.

Members don't see this ad.

Although I am incredulous re: the nurse who said, "hey you...", why wasn't this blatant disrespect, reported to the Director of Nursing, or even the Nurse Manager?
Because it wouldn't get you anywhere, and might make them hate you more.
Why not file a grievance?
Uh, because nobody does that?

We're still harping on each other? Really, we all have our complaints, but this is going to just cause more problems among each other. I have had bad nurses, let me tell you. I've also had great nurses! I agree with Dr. Cox. If you can't complain in a way that is not professional, don't do it on a public board. It does not do anything for our profession.

I think there were only a handful of doctors and maybe one or two nurses/students who showed respect for one another. Beyond that, comments were rude, disrespectful and unprofessional. Come on, gang. We are better than that. If we need to voice our concerns, we would do a better job of solving the problem if we worked together constructively with respect. And this goes both ways!

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me tell you my interaction with her and you'll understand:

My initial confrontation with her in my OP was because she wanted me to order some guy toradol. So after I "owned" her, she backed down. Here is the remainder of the exchange between us. (I'm not making it up or exaggerating. Once you read it, you'll understand why I really don't mind referring to her as a dog or talking about owning her.)

Me: I don't put orders in at random. I'll go see the patient, however, and assess their pain.
Her: Fine. As long as you order the toradol.
Me: If the patient needs additional pain medication, I'll order it. But if not, then I'll leave them where they are. Does that sound fair?
Her: It's fine, but if you don't order the toradol I'll call the attending and tell him that you are ignoring the patient's pain.
Me: Even if the patient isn't in pain?
Her: I put everyone on toradol. (She said this.) You can see the patient as long as I get what I want.

So, you see, this nurse is a female dog and I really don't care what other people think of me for saying that. If I met her in a dark alley, I'd probably lay her out because I'm not the only person she does that to -- but I was the first to knock her down. I saw the patient, he wasn't in pain, I came out and told her he wasn't getting anything extra, and then I told her to call the attending. She didn't. Empty threat from an empty head.

You lacked cojones. I would have told her "I don't give a rat"s ass what you put your patients on. I will see that patient and decide what I want to do. If you keep interfering with my care of the patient, I will have no problem reporting you" And you walk away.

Don't take any crap from any nurse that acts like that.

The patients forget the nurses' names but remember the docs....please! :thumbdown:

Nursing is the most trusted profession, and the nurses are there 24/7. Also, what are the patients admitted to the hospital primarily there for?? nursing care.

The patients forget the nurses' names but remember the docs....please! :thumbdown:

Nursing is the most trusted profession, and the nurses are there 24/7. Also, what are the patients admitted to the hospital primarily there for?? nursing care.
what in the world?

the nurses aren't there 24/7. they are there 36 hrs a week, of which at least 1/3rd is spent on yahoo games, ordering/eating food, and youtube. the patients admitted to the hospital are there to have doctors treat them, not to be nursed by nurses. where do people go to get nursed? the nursing home.

...the nurses aren't there 24/7. they are there 36 hrs a week, of which at least 1/3rd is spent on yahoo games, ordering/eating food, and youtube...

our hospital filters youtube...damn I.S. department!

Gallup poll 2007 Most Trusted Professions...

1. Nurses
2. Pharmacists
3. Veterinarians
4. Doctors
5. Dentists
6. Engineers
7. College professors
8. Clergy
9. Policemen
10. Psychiatrists

What a respectable poll! I wonder how the psychiatrists feel about not being lumped in with all other doctors, and on being significantly less trustworthy than any other doctor as well...:rolleyes:

Gallup poll 2007 Most Trusted Professions...

1. Nurses
2. Pharmacists
3. Veterinarians
4. Doctors
5. Dentists
6. Engineers
7. College professors
8. Clergy
9. Policemen
10. Psychiatrists

Put down the crack pipe.

You're so arrogant. I'm now relish getting my DNP.

I thought that patients admitted to the hospital were primarily there for receiving medical care. You know, at the hands of a medical doctor.

A lot of nurses are great. But sometimes it's hard to get them to understand the seriousness (or lack of seriousness) of certain situations. Not because they're stupid or incompetent, but they just...don't seem to get it. I think that part of it is that residents, in particular, have to juggle 5 or 6 different things, often in different parts of the hospital - i.e. a consult in the ER, and emergency operation in the OR, a patient who's not stabilized and demanding to go home in the SICU, etc. Nurses are busy, but it's rare that there's something else (in a different part of the hospital) that demands their attention RIGHT NOW.

This past weekend we were in emergency surgery. The resident got paged 2-3 times. Even though the resident stressed that she had had to leave the intern in charge of the unit, the circulating nurse didn't seem to think that this was a problem - she never bothered to answer the pages. Finally, about 5 minutes after the 2nd page, I broke scrub and answered the resident's pager (even though I'm not supposed to, as an MS3). Turns out that the intern was frantically paging us, because a patient on the unit was unresponsive, and another one of the patients needed emergency surgery RIGHT NOW. She was having trouble handling both situations, and needed the senior resident's help. Fortunately, both patients are doing fine, but it would have been nice if the nurse had actually returned the pages....

We're still harping on each other? Really, we all have our complaints, but this is going to just cause more problems among each other. I have had bad nurses, let me tell you. I've also had great nurses! I agree with Dr. Cox. If you can't complain in a way that is not professional, don't do it on a public board. It does not do anything for our profession.

I think there were only a handful of doctors and maybe one or two nurses/students who showed respect for one another. Beyond that, comments were rude, disrespectful and unprofessional. Come on, gang. We are better than that. If we need to voice our concerns, we would do a better job of solving the problem if we worked together constructively with respect. And this goes both ways!
You are quite right. I think the OP handled himself (in his initial response to the nurse) appropriately. I question his behavior and reactions after the fact, but that is his issue; I edited my previous post, and will leave it at that.

This thread has clearly degenerated from its original discussion into the frequent "doctors vs. nurses" debate that we see on this forum all too often.

Kimberli Cox already posted an earlier warning but it seems that the content of the posts since have, by and large, remained inflammatory.

Thus I am closing this thread. Please try to remain civil to all your fellow SDN users - heated debate and spirited discussion is encouraged here, but personal attacks and bashing of one another is not tolerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.