Post a Tip for Current MCAT Studiers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Students who have already taken the MCAT, please post a study tip to help current studiers. Let's see how many tips we can accumulate. I'll start us off:

1) Set up a study schedule for yourself, and do a little bit every day. You're better off studying for 30 minutes per day over the course of a few months than you are by trying to cram for the MCAT during the last few days before the test.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused though... how can you "understand" something like reproduction, respiration, or the musculoskeletal system? There's nothing to understand, you just have to memorize all those dam names, right?

I haven't taken any practice tests yet because I'm not close to finishing the material, but everyone is saying "understand"... I don't get this! HELP!:eek:

There is a lot to understand about reproduction, respiration, and the musculoskeletal system. Relying strickly on memorization is bound to cause you to be confused in the end. It's not just the names you need to know, but also how and why they work. Once you have a full understanding of the material you can easily recall it.

You say you haven't taken any practic test yet - does that mean you did not start off with a diagnostic exam? This is very important as it helps you understand what your weaknesses are. Don't wait until you are finished with the materials to begin the practice exams. You should look at EK's 10-week study plan.

There is a lot to understand about reproduction, respiration, and the musculoskeletal system. Relying strickly on memorization is bound to cause you to be confused in the end. It's not just the names you need to know, but also how and why they work. Once you have a full understanding of the material you can easily recall it.

You say you haven't taken any practic test yet - does that mean you did not start off with a diagnostic exam? This is very important as it helps you understand what your weaknesses are. Don't wait until you are finished with the materials to begin the practice exams. You should look at EK's 10-week study plan.

thanks for the reply... however, I am not taking the MCAT till somewhere between april and june of next year, so I have plenty of time. Another thing is that I took the classes a long time ago, like 4 years ago, and I pretty much don't remember anything, and it seems like i'm starting from scratch now as I go through the books. If I don't understand something, I use wikipedia, my textbook, or google. That's why i think there would be no point in doing the diagnostic test, because i don't know ANYTHING in physics for example, some of the gen chem, and some of the ochem.

I am very well disciplined with my studying. I have been studying for two weeks staight, 12-14 hours a day every day. I'll probbaly take a break tomorrow though or something. However, I am almost done with bio, and I know it VERY well. It's just scaring me that I might forget it all once I start with the rest of the sections. I do understand everything I read in bio, but it just seems that there are SO many names to memorize. It also seems that there's more meorization then understanding in some of the sections. You are right though, and I'm trying to focus on understanding.

Why is everyone always talking about EK though? was it that good? Since you took the MCAT, what books would you want to have with you right now?

thanks again:)

Students who have already taken the MCAT, please post a study tip to help current studiers. Let's see how many tips we can accumulate. I'll start us off:

1) Set up a study schedule for yourself, and do a little bit every day. You're better off studying for 30 minutes per day over the course of a few months than you are by trying to cram for the MCAT during the last few days before the test.

Study early and a lot. Read repeatedly. I probably read each Exam Cracker chapter 6 or 7 times.

Don't dwell a lot on one topic.

On the test, give yourself a max of a minute or so. If you don't get it, move on.

Take lots of AAMC practice tests.

The Kaplan lectures are a waste. You're better off just studying on your own.

Get your hands on as many prep company materials as you can. I studied mostly from Exam Crackers while referring back to Kaplan and undergrad texts every so often to clear anything up.

Study from pictures and diagrams, not just words with stuff like Mitosis, Meiosis, Transcription/Translation, etc. Its easier to visualize than memorize.

I know I said this once already, but its worth repeating. TAKE LOTS OF AAMC PRACTICE EXAMS. You should be done studying about 3 weeks before the exam. Then its practice exams left and right. Refer back to your study materials. Don't be afraid to reread and reread.

Go in very confident, and realize the objective is NOT to get every question correct. If you dwell on tough questions, you won't even get to numerous easy questions. I had to retake in August because in April I didn't follow this advise. Its gospel. If you don't know the answer, narrow it down to two or 3 and guess and move on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused though... how can you "understand" something like reproduction, respiration, or the musculoskeletal system? There's nothing to understand, you just have to memorize all those dam names, right?

I haven't taken any practice tests yet because I'm not close to finishing the material, but everyone is saying "understand"... I don't get this! HELP!:eek:

Well, you'll be lucky to have any of those topics on your MCAT. August takers know what I'm talking about. Start familiarizing yourself with genetics. And there are in fact things to "understand." How does a muscle contraction happen? What chemicals and minerals (Calcium) are involved? What role does the NS play in it? Understand sympathetic/parasympathetic very well.

Well, you'll be lucky to have any of those topics on your MCAT. August takers know what I'm talking about. Start familiarizing yourself with genetics. And there are in fact things to "understand." How does a muscle contraction happen? What chemicals and minerals (Calcium) are involved? What role does the NS play in it? Understand sympathetic/parasympathetic very well.

did you find that the books you studied from covered all the genetics you needed for the MCAT?

thanks for the reply... however, I am not taking the MCAT till somewhere between april and june of next year, so I have plenty of time. Another thing is that I took the classes a long time ago, like 4 years ago, and I pretty much don't remember anything, and it seems like i'm starting from scratch now as I go through the books. If I don't understand something, I use wikipedia, my textbook, or google. That's why i think there would be no point in doing the diagnostic test, because i don't know ANYTHING in physics for example, some of the gen chem, and some of the ochem.

I am very well disciplined with my studying. I have been studying for two weeks staight, 12-14 hours a day every day. I'll probbaly take a break tomorrow though or something. However, I am almost done with bio, and I know it VERY well. It's just scaring me that I might forget it all once I start with the rest of the sections. I do understand everything I read in bio, but it just seems that there are SO many names to memorize. It also seems that there's more meorization then understanding in some of the sections. You are right though, and I'm trying to focus on understanding.

Why is everyone always talking about EK though? was it that good? Since you took the MCAT, what books would you want to have with you right now?

thanks again:)

No problem :) First of all, 12-14 hours a day is way too much time to study for the MCAT and it's inefficient. Besides, you have almost an entire year to study for it. You should do 8 hours max with a break every hour or so. EK helped me A LOT, especially their 101 passages in MCAT Verbal book. I would get that along with their 1001 Questions series to ensure you have a firm grasp on the basic materials. Get one big review book (either Kaplan or TPR) and get TPR's Science Workbook and Physical Science Review books from a friend who's taken the course already. Good luck! :)

No problem :) First of all, 12-14 hours a day is way too much time to study for the MCAT and it's inefficient. Besides, you have almost an entire year to study for it. You should do 8 hours max with a break every hour or so. EK helped me A LOT, especially their 101 passages in MCAT Verbal book. I would get that along with their 1001 Questions series to ensure you have a firm grasp on the basic materials. Get one big review book (either Kaplan or TPR) and get TPR's Science Workbook and Physical Science Review books from a friend who's taken the course already. Good luck! :)

Thank you!:)

One more small question, how would I be able to get a hold of TPR's Science Workbook and Physical Science Review Books? I don't have any friends who have taken the classes, and I just did a search on ebay and can't find them. Do you have any suggestions? Again, thank you so much...

Thank you!:)

One more small question, how would I be able to get a hold of TPR's Science Workbook and Physical Science Review Books? I don't have any friends who have taken the classes, and I just did a search on ebay and can't find them. Do you have any suggestions? Again, thank you so much...

Try asking people in your classes if they have and would be willing to sell those books to you. Or see if any med student at your university (if you have a med school) still has their books and would be willing to sell them to you :) Also, see if your friends have any friends who have these books - that's how I got mine. I would sell them to you but I think she wants them back.....besides, I'm hanging on just in case I have to retake the MCAT (praying that I won't have to).

Don't spend a lot of your time trying to memorize the material; use it to take as many full-lengths under real testing conditions as possible.

Agreed!

Work on building endurance and being calm under pressure. Depending on the safety of memorized facts, will cause a freak out when you're thrown a WTF passage on the real thing.

When you go over the right and wrong answers after the practice test, you will see that a lot of answers are in the passage, especially Bio. I used different color pens to mark the "background" knowledge, and "in the passage" answers. Also added an addition mark if I had weak knowledge on a topic.

By doing this early, you'll notice your patterns of thinking and will be able to modify them to correct your weaknesses.

What I learned: PS you either know it or you don't. Learn the formulas, the relationships of all variables, and how to read tables and graphs. Also, really understand the concepts even if you have to go to the hard cover. Bio is reading comp, but you should put in a hour or two a night reading the review book. I bought a genetics study aid, which helped.

i'd say become a bio major. otherwise, expect to get reamed on that section. you can do great on aamc practice tests in bio without being a bio major. but you don't have a snowball's chance in hell if you get a bio section like form CM from august. if you hadn't taken upper level bio you were a goner. at least in a 100 minute time frame anyway.

-Get to bed early enough to allow yourself to sleep over 8-9 hours for 2-3 nights before the test, don't count on being able to sleep well the night before.

-Go outside and seclude yourself during the lunch break, breathe in the fresh air and relax.

-MOST IMPORTANTLY: trust yourself and the studying you did. Get up a couple hours before the test starts to give yourself time to really wake up. Don't freak out over the test on the day, try to stay as calm as possible and focus. Worst comes to worst, you'll take it again the next time. Don't cancel your score just because you freaked out.

Didn't read the whole thread, but...

BE CONFIDENT.

On my practice exams, whenever I went back and changed an answer, my original choice was almost always correct. If you think you know the answer, you probably do, so stick with it!

Also, when you wake up on the fateful day, be as confident as possible. I didn't sleep well at all the night before, but woke up early and felt like I could move mountains. The confidence really helped ease my nerves while I was waiting for the exam to start, and helped me stay focused during the long day of testing.

I really think that one's psychological frame of mind plays a large role in their testing performance, and it's something that is easier to manipulate than other variables like learning the material ;) .

Forgot to add, right before you go to the testing center, go to:

http://[yourname].youaremighty.com

I can't remember who posted this link (guju, maybe?), but it's great. That unintelligible song was bouncing around in my head for an hour before the exam--I felt like I was about to land at Normandy Beach or something.

BE CONFIDENT.

On my practice exams, whenever I went back and changed an answer, my original choice was almost always correct. If you think you know the answer, you probably do, so stick with it!

Also, when you wake up on the fateful day, be as confident as possible. I didn't sleep well at all the night before, but woke up early and felt like I could move mountains. The confidence really helped ease my nerves while I was waiting for the exam to start, and helped me stay focused during the long day of testing.

I really think that one's psychological frame of mind plays a large role in their testing performance, and it's something that is easier to manipulate than other variables like learning the material ;) .

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep flashcards or a formula sheet with you all the time. You'd be surprised how many random free minutes you have... They really add up over a couple weeks/months and can make a big difference.

Loved the flashcards -great for spare time and learning to recall info quickly (good for any timed test).

did you find that the books you studied from covered all the genetics you needed for the MCAT?

I think the TPR review book covered Genetics topics well. If anything, look at the MCAT topic list and check out a Genetics book at the library.

This is very true. When I took the exam in August of 2005, I felt very nervous and not confident at all. It affected my score tremendously, and had I been well-rested (Key!) and confident, the outcome would have been much better. When people say this is a mental endurance test and that the exam is 90% attitude, they are right and take their words with a large grain of salt! :luck:

Keep going through the material steadily. IF you don't understand something, review it, then go back later. Don't be like me and read the same chapter over and over 10 times.

Don't freak over memorizing small details too much. Better to know lots concepts well, than to know a few pointless details.

Use EK books and Audio Osmosis!!!! IMHO these are way superior to the test prep company classes. EK focuses on the stuff you need to know, and leaves out the fluff.

Oh yeah, and practice the writing sample. It got me because I didn't practice it at all and didn't know what to expect.

Focus on understanding the concepts well, not just memorizing. Lots of the people focus too much on memorizing content and this will only get you so far since you won't be able to apply what you have learned to passages on the real thing.

Have people ask you questions on random material when you don't expect it. Does wonders for your recall ability...

take as many practice tests (full lengths, section tests, topicals...) you can. grade them and find your weak areas and work on those before you take the next practice test. space the tests out in your study plan.

take your time with EK... I think doing it in 10 weeks is too fast, you want to digest the material and take random days off in between... I'd stretch it out to a 3-4 month time span minimum (whole study session, including two-three weeks of practice tests)

I am taking the MCAT this coming april and I am not sure what to do.

1) prep class: Kaplan or Dr. Putzer?
2) What do people make flash cards for...random facts that would be useful to memorize?
3) How should I use the EK 1001 books...I've been flipping through and looking at random questions and checking my answers...

After reading through a Kaplan review book and the ExamKrackers study package, I spent the last month or so just listening to the MCAT Audio Osmosis CDs and doing practice tests. If you really know the material, these CDs are a great way to keep things fresh - the jokes get really, really annoying though. =\

If I could do anything over I would have spent more time working the EK 101 Passages in Verbal Reasoning.

I am taking the MCAT this coming april and I am not sure what to do.

1) prep class: Kaplan or Dr. Putzer?
2) What do people make flash cards for...random facts that would be useful to memorize?
3) How should I use the EK 1001 books...I've been flipping through and looking at random questions and checking my answers...

First of all, you should study. Once you're completely done studying, do a practice test. From this practice test you'll find out where you are weak. If it's a specific area within Physics, go to the EK 1001 Physics book, find the specific part, and do all those questions until you know it inside and out. Just do that for everything you're weak in, then keep doing practice tests.

I didn't take a class - I'm an independent studier - I get more out of it going at my pace. I didn't make flash cards either. It sounds like a waste of time, but I guess we all study differently.

... What I learned: PS you either know it or you don't. Learn the formulas, the relationships of all variables, and how to read tables and graphs. Also, really understand the concepts even if you have to go to the hard cover...

:thumbup: I agree! I dusted off my old physics book, and did the problems at the end of each chapter just to practice using formulas. On the big day, you don't want to sit there and ponder which formula to use - that's a waste of precious time. So learn them ALL, and know how to use them ALL. If Kaplan and EK say not to worry about a certain formula because it rarely shows up on MCAT day, then learn it, because the one you choose not to learn will be the one you need. And don't forget to learn the units too!

Study on the weekends. Reward yourself for doing well, but don't over do it. Take over a classroom at school (on weekends and on some weeknights), lock yourself away for hours at a time, fill the whiteboards/chalkboards with equations in physics if that helps you. You will need to study like you are fighting for your academic and professional future. Why? Because you are! Study, Practice, Exercise, Eat Right, Prepare in numerous, small steps. Sounds stupid, but it's all true. It will get you to your goals.
Word. What he/she said.

Make sure you take a practice AMCAS test before you start studying and every two weeks after. It also important to know that the practice exams are outdated so the real thing will be longer.:luck:

Study with your physics formulas nearby and not labeled as to what each formula does.

You'll have them memorize before test day, so just use them on a "cheat sheet", then memorize them later.

Hey all, I just had a quick tip for TEST DAY:eek:. They give you an optional 10 minute break between PS and verbal. I made the mistake of taking this break. THis left me trying to do verbal while a lot of other people who didn't take the break were typing their writing sample! SO DISTRACTING!! So my advice to you would be to skip the break and get a jump start on verbal if you can so you can concentrate! :luck::luck::luck:

Other people have hinted at this, especially with the mention of engineering students doing well on this test. The MCAT does require a broad knowledge base, but just knowing facts will not get you very far. Once you've read up about a particular concept, be it an organ system, circuits, or chemical synthesis, try and ask yourself conceptual questions with qualitative answers.

For example, suppose you've just studied electrical circuits. Consider a circuit with a battery followed by a light bulb followed by a resistor (i.e. the resistor is in series with the light bulb). Ask yourself questions like "what happens to the bulb's brightness if I increase the value of the resistor?" Answer: the brightness decreases because the net current through the circuit has decreased. What if you add an identical resistor in parallel with the first one, but still in series with the bulb? The brightness of the bulb increases because the overall resistance of the circuit has decreased. This sort of qualitative understanding can get you a long way--you aren't allowed a calculator on the MCAT and there is a reason for that. Everything can be done using either estimation or using your qualitative estimate to strike out every other option. At an absolute minimum, you can strike out some answers so that guessing becomes more profitable.

As another example, learn to do dimensional analysis and know your SI units. If you are told to calculate the power dissipated by some process and there are answers in Joules, you can strike them out without thinking since you want something in terms of Watts. You should know, given an equation with a single unknown, how to figure out what the units of the unknown must be if you know the units of every other value.

I guess a short version of what I'm saying is this--try and develop your BS detector. It will help you quickly eliminate the answers that are just patently wrong.

I agree with scentimint. Definitely work out. If you have already been on a workout schedule, don't slack off. I've also seen people recommend that you listen to Audio Osmosis during that time, but don't. Workout time is supposed to be stress relieving. If you add AO to it, you are going to be more likely to get off your schedule since you aren't completely destressing during that time.

Another big thing. Get into a sleep schedule before the MCAT. I needed to get up at 5:30 on the actual test day, so I began to gradually wake up earlier and go to bed earlier two weeks before the test. The week of the test I woke up at 5:30 every day. It helped a lot on test day.

Also, if you think you'll have problems with going to sleep on time, the sleep schedule will help because you'll be tired. I helped this by going out to an Italian resturant with my family the night before, loading up on pasta, and having a glass of wine. I was quite sleepy when I got back home.

Wow that is a REALLY GOOD tip! Pasta always makes me dead tired ^___^. I can apply that to exams in college and whatnot :)

ALSO! somebody told me that to prepare for the verbal section, do some of the verbal stuff from the LSAT. the LSAT verbal section is supposed to be harder than the MCAT so he told me that it really helped him do well on the real thing (well the verbal section at least).

get used to writing practice mcat, so that the real thing feels like routine. i would write practice tests in a small room in the library, and time my breaks. for the two weeks before the exam, i got into a routine--got my coffee and breakfast from the same place, started a practice exam at 8am, and ate the same snacks. maybe its a bit extreme, but when i wrote the real exam, i felt little additional pressure because i had been writing exams in almost the exact same conditions for 2 weeks. it helped keep me calm and i scored to my full potential.

My verbal strategy...(I bombed on the real thing comparatively to my practices. I avged 12-15 on practices, scored a 12 on my diagnostic, but an 11 on the real thing. That being said, I'm still ecstatic!)

1) Practice under harsher timed conditions than you will encounter on the test. You will have about 8.5 mins for every verbal passage. Get a stop watch and a verbal workbook, and practice finishing every passage in 6.5 mins. When I started doing this, two things happened: 1)Even though I was using less time, my scores did not decrease. They stayed the same. 2) When I became really good at answering the passages quickly, I found that I had time to refer back to the passage on every question. Now, since I can read the passages much more effectively (meaning faster) when I see a question that I'm not sure of, I have time to go back and quickly re-read the 3-4 sentences that pertain to the question. At this point, my scores started to increase.

2) Attack every single paragraph. Read very quickly, but read very actively. Don't try and go too slowly to remember every detail, this will kill you. What you should do is Gather the main idea of every paragraph, and make sure you're always thinking about the POINT of the passage. Eventually, when you've done enough verbal practice, gathering the idea of a section or paragraph will come very naturally. As a byproduct, you will start to gain a sense of the types of details that are important to remember, and you will begin to remember them automatically.

3) When doing the read-through, DO NOT re-read a sentence if you think you weren't paying attention. Try this on any reading material: Try reading very actively, but force yourself not to re-read sentences you just read or to go back on the first read through. If you are actively reading, its amazing how much you retain without having to re-read. Your brain often tricks you into thinking that you didn't understand something, when in fact you did.

4) You should be categorizing the paragraphs in your head. Remember that the reading material on the verbal section is always written so that the information is organized in some logical way. The AAMC specifically picks passages that are not haphazardly organized and written. "Categorizing" means that you should be thinking about the general subject of each paragraph so that you know where in the passage to look for information when you need to refer back as you answer the questions. It does not mean stopping and summarizing every paragraph in your head as you read. This way you don't waste time re-reading large sections of the passage (or the whole passage!) to find helpful information when you do need to refer back. Instead, your categorical map of the paragraphs will give you a general idea of where that information should be located. This will save you important time when you reach one of those questions that you don't know right off the bat. Lastly, the categorical map you create as you are doing your first read through should be in your head. This means you are really just making mental notes that point you in the right direction, and not summarizing.

5) Answer every question in order, do not skip questions. I think that this particular point works really well because often the questions themselves are ALOT of reading! If you read a question, decide that its too hard and skip to the next, you'll then have to come back and re-read the question on your second attempt thereby wasting time! Make a mental note of and use the CBT's "mark" function on the questions that are iffy so that when you do go back and review all of your answer, you know which questions you should focus more time on.

6) Be aware of the different question types on the verbal section. The princeton review book has a list of these, and I think the Kaplan one does as well. In addition, when you are reviewing your practice exams you should make your own list of what you think the different question types are. As to HOW to answer every question type; This is one of the major areas where practice comes into it. As you get better, you'll begin to realize the types of things that look like 'correct' answers, and you get a feel for the types of things that the examiner is looking for. Check out the "process of elimination" section (number 8 in this post).

7) Do heavy post-game analysis. You must, must, must go back over your verbal questions and ensure that your thought process was correct for the questions that you got right. Figuring out what exactly you were thinking when you answered a question incorrectly is absolutely essential. That way, when you find yourself thinking in a similar way on a future exam, you might stop and think twice about your answer. Do not ever say, "Oh I totally should have gotten that question! It's easy!" If you missed a question, you missed it for a reason. Instead of passing it off as a "stupid mistake" make sure you understand exactly why you made that mistake, and what you were thinking when you made it. Then, you should try and figure which types of questions you are most often missing and analyze your thought process to see what wrong thought caused you to pick a wrong answer. Then, be aware, and fix that thought process.

8) Learn to use process of elimination (POE). There are a few tricks you can use to POE the hell out of some verbal questions.
- Extreme sounding answers are almost always wrong. Exception: If the passage itself sounds extreme. You should still make sure that your answer choice fits with the logic of the question and the passage itself. For instance, the question could ask, "Which of the following is NOT representative of the author's stance of issue X". In these types of questions, the extreme answer might be right.

- In questions that ask you to describe the 'mood' of the author, or any question with 'one word' answer choices, answers that are similar or say the same thing are almost always both wrong. Check and see if you picked an answer that sounds very similar to another one, and make sure you know exactly why you chose that answer. The MCAT will never be cut and dry, so just make sure your logic about an answer choice is clear.
- Watch out answer choices with identical or similar vocabulary to the passage. A very common trick is that often words that were used in the passage will be transplanted into an answer choice with either: 1) a cause and effect relationship reversed so that it is wrong, 2) a fact from the passage taken out of context, 3) a hypothesis that is mis-stated, 4) a slight twisting of the author's logic, 5) an incorrect detail has been inserted into the answer choice. Watch out for these, and when you see an answer choice with alot of identical words to the passage, be very sure to dissect it so that you understand its meaning. As you practice more and more, you'll begin to find other curious aspects of answer choices and question stems that stick out at you.

9) PRACTICE!!!
No seriously, practice. Developing an MCAT intuition is like developing a muscle. You can't cram for it, and you can't practice it "sometimes" while expecting major gains. You have to practice, consistently, repeatedly, and often.

10) Closing Note
This is my entire strategy. What worked for me may not work for you, but it's worth a shot! If something different than what I've posted here works for you, then use it! (and more importantly, come back to The Studentdoctor Network and tell us about it!)
I picked up a princeton review verbal workbook (I think you can only get them from the class) and I did two passages every 1-2 days starting at about 3 months before my MCAT. Toward the end of my practice test runs I was consistently getting 13s and 14s in verbal on the AAMCs. This section is doable guys. Just make sure you are practicing properly and meticulously reviewing your answers! Just doing passages isn't going to give you exponential gains in performance. You have to practice and review the right way.
Good luck guys. If I can do it, you guys seriously can too...

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
I didn't read through everything so this may have already been mentioned -- but it's so important that it merits repeating:

CHILL THE F*CK OUT. No joke, not stressing out over the MCAT has an INCREDIBLE effect on your performance. Don't think of it as "the test that will decide my future" but rather just as another test that you simply have to prepare harder for. The first time I took the MCAT I was SOO nervous and did very poorly because I succumbed to the stress of the situation. The second time around (which was the following month) I was a lot more relaxed and scored 7 points higher.

You guys will all do great and I wish all of you the best of luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
This might be a stupid question, but what are "full-lengths"?

Full length practice exams. AAMC offers full length MCAT tests (there are 7 of them, numbered 3-10). You can also find other full length tests distributed by Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc. Take as many as you can, but here is a general rule of thumb:

Only use the AAMC tests as a predictor for what you will score on the real MCAT. Take as many of them as possible. The 3rd one is free, but the others cost 35 bucks. If you take a few of them, that will give you a range for where you can expect to score. It is very accurate, despite many peoples complaints that the real test is harde.r

Full length tests such as kaplan are not as good of predcitors. You probably shouldnt pay too close attention to the scores you get on the kaplan tests and just use them more for practice problems, testing your knowledge, and getting familiar with the test format.

Any other questions, feel free to PM me!

thanks very much to people who posted --granted that many of them are long gone.

Lets give life to this thread again.. Please please post ur ideas/tips/suggestions/ encouragements/motivations anything to help out those who are still in the middle.

1.) Study what you're BAD at!

I know this sounds painfully obvious, but it took me awhile to really get this. It's easy to review stuff you already know, it's even harder to relearn material you don't. Use the full lengths to figure out what topics you need to learn.

2.) Go here: http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/start.htm

There you will find a couple of PDFs that will highlight all topics that you will need to know for the MCAT. (one Biological, one Physical)

3.) Don't get in a car accident the day before. (That happened to me. :mad:)
4.) Don't take your exam on Friday the 13th. (Also happened to me. ha!)

I have not read the recent posts on this thread so pardon me if what I am about to say has already been said...

Personally, I had to overcome a significant case of test anxiety when I was preparing for the exam. The magnitude and importance of this exam with regard to my future was overwhelming at times for me.

The way I went about it was coming to terms with the fact that whatever my results of the test would be, I would deal with them and their consequences when they arrived a month after I took the exam. On test day, none of that mattered to me, I told myself. I would walk in, do my best and walk out. W/e the results, that's for another day.

I realized that you cannot be a perfectionist on this exam; you have to be able to accept that feeling of not knowing everything and keep your composure throughout. Finish a section and put it out of your mind, work on the next section. Unlike school tests, where you walk out knowing pretty confidently whether you did well or not, it is not the same with the MCAT. Most people I know, including myself, did not think we did that well but were surprised with the results.

Bottom line: Prepare hard, do your best on test day, worry about results when they come.