When studying the Top 200, what facts should you memorize?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Odublar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Specifically, what is important?

Generic Name? ex. Atorvastatin
Brand Name? ex. Lipitor
Company Name? ex. Pfizer
Treatment? ex. Lowers High-Cholesterol and Triglycerides.
Side Effects? ex. Gas, Constipation, Stomach Pain, Heart Burn
Serious Side Effects? ex. Muscle Weakness, See Doctor.
Prevents? ex. Heart Attack and Stroke.
Risks for Cause to Use? ex. family history, age, smoking, high blood pressure, and low hdl.
Do Not take if? ex. if you have liver ailments, are pregnant or breastfeeding or allergic to any ingredients.

Oh, and I almost forget. What the damn thing looks like. :cool::rolleyes:

Is there anything I have added that is not needed as much and is there something I am missing?

Thanks in Advance.

Odublar

Members don't see this ad.

Wait until you start school.

We haven't done the top 200 yet at my school...so it may still change. Relax before you start pharmacy school!

I got the list from a current student...

It contained the following:
  • Brand Name
  • Generic Name
  • Drug Use
  • Class
  • Form (i.e. tablet, suspension)
  • dosage
Here is an example:

Antidepressant
Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI)
• Fluoxetine (Prozac®)
• Oral Capsule,Oral Syrup,Oral Tablet
• Major Depressive Disorder: 20-60 mg PO qam (>20mg divide in bid dosing)

I think it is a great idea to start learning these now... that way you can concentrate on your harder classes on not worry about memorizing top 200. That is what I am doing... :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the list from a current student...

It contained the following:
  • Brand Name
  • Generic Name
  • Drug Use
  • Class
  • Form (i.e. tablet, suspension)
  • dosage
Here is an example:

Antidepressant
Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI)
• Fluoxetine (Prozac®)
• Oral Capsule,Oral Syrup,Oral Tablet
• Major Depressive Disorder: 20-60 mg PO qam (>20mg divide in bid dosing)

I think it is a great idea to start learning these now... that way you can concentrate on your harder classes on not worry about memorizing top 200. That is what I am doing... :D

Which website are you getting this info from...about the top 200 drugs??

The best way to memorize the Top 200 is to work in a pharmacy. After a few months of paying attention to what is going on around you you'll pick up a lot of stuff. I had to "memorize" only 25% of the top 200 because I'd picked up the rest while at work.

in walmart yesterday i saw a book in the pharmacy they are selling it is the top 200 drugs and tells you all that in the book. It was about 9.00

Is there anything I have added that is not needed as much and is there something I am missing?

I think company/manufacturer and what it looks like are pretty useless. Knowing the colors of warfarin for each strength is good to know, though.

for now just memorize the brand name and generic equivalent, the indications for use, and adverse side effects.

is the top 200 one of the first things you learn in pharmacy school? im not in pharm school so i don't know. im going to sound ignorant, but how do you learn/know every drug when you're a pharmacist? a pharmacist told me you only memorize certain groups in pharm school & the rest you look up in a database? is that true?

Memorize only what the school says you have to. Everything that's actually important you'll learn by experience and paying close attention to the more important lectures. (The area of pharmacy you plan to work in will determine which ones those are.)

You'd be better off to review physiology and biochemistry. "Basic and Clinical Pharmacology" by Katzung might be a good choice too. But memorizing information out of context that you won't remember as well as you think you will? Why?

In pharmacy school they don't make you memorize the top 200 drugs per say. You learn drugs accorrding to drug classes. So they teach you how the pharmacology, indication, side effects all fit together. A lot of times the side effect will be intuative depending on what receptor a drug activates or inhibits. Also a lot of the drugs in a class all have the same suffix. Ex: ACE inhibitors for hhypertension all end in -pril, like lisinopril, fosinopril,captopril etc. This way everytime you look at the drug name you will be able to tell the indication, how they work side effects etc. I would say that spend most of your time reviewing your physiology because without that you will not understand pharmacology.

Maybe the school you are going to doesn't require it, but there are some schools that do... not all Pharmacy schools have the same curriculum... I know that one of the schools I have been accepted to requires learning the top 200 in the first semseter because I am friends with a PS1 there. However, the other school I am accepted to does not.

Maybe the school you are going to doesn't require it, but there are some schools that do... not all Pharmacy schools have the same curriculum... I know that one of the schools I have been accepted to requires learning the top 200 in the first semseter because I am friends with a PS1 there. However, the other school I am accepted to does not.

Your friend is either full of crap or he is just trying to scare you..