Oh SRMC.. SRMC...
everyone has their own experience here, all of which a are different...
I'm currently an MBBS student here, from Los Angeles..
i'm going to get to the point, for everyone who wants to know about this college, alot has been said already that is really absurd by TruthBeTold, damn he must of been thru hell here or whatever... anyways here i go::
- haha no NRI will ever get ragged, that never happens here, more likely to the locals here but even that is so stupid, it will be like " go dance" or "get that girls number" But i have yet to hear an NRI go thru even that.
Local Vs NRI Drama "backstabbing":
again, no. If your a good friend to others then you have no problem.. its the same as back home.. no one is out to screw you over, theres no backstabbing nonsense... what the hell is TruthbeTold talking about... most NRI's usually hang out with each other since we all live in the same block, but yeah no problem with the local people there all chill, as well. Only funny thing is... gossip... haha that will spread like wildfire people love to talk here about anything, like "oh i heard she's dating that guy or whatver" stupid things like that whatever its india.. thats how we all are lol
As an NRI you will live in the NRI Block. What does that mean?
- good size room with an attached bathroom and a cot and a desk and a place to put your ac
- so your gonna need to buy your essentials A/C, Fridge, Microwave etc.. other people have TV's, Sofas, and i think someone even has a bar in there room lol, you can really deck out your room to whatver you like.. but the 1st day you get there damn its so depressing looking when its all empty, but whatver fix it up and you will be good to go
- Internet: as of 2005 we now have internet capablities. 15K rupees a month get you pretty slow internet and its wired not wifi so your not sharing. Keep in mind that somedays it will go off and on.. ahh gets frustrating but whatever we need are internet right? 1 song = 4-5 mintues.
- Food: ughh dosas, rice, idly, etc all day every day yay! haha what can i say we dont have the best options here, the mess will get old to you quick, pizza hut is here now. Dominos, Subway there too. Food is always an issue here so limited choices, but theres always good resturants in the city...
- Power outages? - hell yea haha.. damn it gets annoying sometimes it always happens during the most incovient times to like when were studying for an exam or what not. Get used to it. I usually just go to the city when that happens and for it to come on..
----> oh yea need to mention this... we have warden's, there really harmless but annoying has hell sometimes. Curfew is at 9:30pm but theres many ways to get bypass that.. but hostel life can get annoying sometimes, if you cant deal with it theres always the option of getting an apt outside, again not a big deal...
- classes: they just built new ones in 2005 so anyone who attended here before that time basically went thru hell, TruthbeTold ill give you that ( in there time that had a dinky *** class room with like a fan). The new classes rooms are basically a class room in a theather style format umm around 150 seats or so and theres A/C and most lectures are done with a teacher presting on a powerpoint
- Teachers - im going to keep it simple. Some are good some are bad, some are gonna make you wanna kill yourself some you will learn from.. we all went to high school we know how it is, all teachers are different
-Grading: i cant explain this, really weird here but basically if you read and study properly you will pass. In a nutshell, You get what you put in. I can go on and on, theres alot of bull**** but it all comes down to how well you have read.
- No Clubs, no Alpha beta Gamma and all that, pretty much boring.... but theres always basketball, tennis, soccer, and of course cricket or you can go take a jog.
-Usually it happens out side of campus things to do like movies, theres a new mall where people go umm resturants, clubs, bars, etc.. traveling is annoying here obviously but if you leave the right timings you will be okay traffic wise.
when i joined i was 100k dollars, now its like somethings absurd 150k? (dollars weak blah) or some nonsense like that. Choice is yours. Alot of people come here because of there parents.. you can just send your kid here and in 6 years hope to make them a doctor.. you gotta have some passion to become one, or you will not like it here at all.
I gave you guys some Pro's and Con's.. i'll try to get some pics here when i get a chance... Any other questions or anything lemme know