Hilarious Pharmacy Technician Rant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RAMPHARMD

UHCOP Pharm.D. Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my fellow technicians told me about this tirade posted on craigslist.com by a Dallas area pharmacy technician. While the post is a certainly more than a little cynical, I think we can all admit that we've had thoughts similar to the thoughts of this disgrunted tech at one time or another.

Check it out here: http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/rnr/754553261.html

Members don't see this ad.

That was a good laugh, if anyone finds more post like this PLEASE SHARE lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Seeing what she's been through, I can see why she needs to rant. I've been through some, if not, most of what she complains about.

It's comforting to know other people have the same feelings but, sad also. No matter where you are, there are the same idiotic people. Not only stupid, but rude and disrespectful. I think this girl works for Target as well, where you are only to refer to patients and customers as "guests".

I agree it is Target with the guest reference as well as the the required way of answering the phone.... I am glad someone said something!

Goes to show its the same crap different day no matter where you work....I not sure if it makes me feel any better.....

At least the pharmacists get paid well for the crap. I can't imagine how people work as techs for years on end putting up with that.

Sure sounds like that person hates their job. I wouldn't want someone like that handling my drugs. What is she talking about, qualified and trained, in most states you don't even need to be PTCB certified to be a pharm tech, you just pay the state 50 bucks. I don't think a pharmacy tech should be breaking the law telling people what they take, they did not go to pharmacy school for 4 years. I just don't like this person's attitude, it sounds like she thinks she knows more than anyone, she should respect the people picking up their drugs.

"Further hatred is allotted to the people who can’t afford other guests even a modicum of privacy when I’m ringing other patients up or answering questions. BACK UP, you don’t want people listening about your inflamed colon slash herpes anymore than Suzy Highschool wants you knowing she needs some Plan B. "

I love it!

Sure sounds like that person hates their job. I wouldn't want someone like that handling my drugs. What is she talking about, qualified and trained, in most states you don't even need to be PTCB certified to be a pharm tech, you just pay the state 50 bucks. I don't think a pharmacy tech should be breaking the law telling people what they take, they did not go to pharmacy school for 4 years. I just don't like this person's attitude, it sounds like she thinks she knows more than anyone, she should respect the people picking up their drugs.

Well if you don't want someone like that handling your drugs you better never get drugs, because everyone that works in retail pharmacy is jaded like this. When I first started I went home and cried about it, now I vent with my co-workers about it. I think by qualified and trained she means that she has been in the business for long enough to know what she's talking about. Once you work in retail pharmacy and put up with this you will understand, and if you don't please tell me where you work cause I want a job there! It's hard to respect people who are complete jerks. Of course this is only talking about 30% of the people you deal with. There is also the 20% of customers you love and know well, and the other 50%, are just normal, easy to deal with customers you only see about every 4 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree it is Target with the guest reference as well as the the required way of answering the phone.... I am glad someone said something!

Except now it's "Thank you for calling Target pharmacy, this is ________, can I help you find something?" Hasn't she been reading her "NEWS TO USE"? I don't say that part either, then people say "I'M LOOKING TO REFILL A PRESCRIPTION." Or "No you can't help me find something, but i'd like to call in a refill." I don't know about you, but I hate having to describe what a ring color is each time I get a new guest. And of course people always say "there's no pink?!?!?" :laugh:

:rolleyes:

Are you really that naive?

I prefer to just pick up the phone and just say "Pharmacy". It worked fine for months until one day it was the district manager calling on the customer line, I picked up, and then I got a lecture about using the "CVS Pharmacy, This is ___, how can I help you."

Ugh, what a waste of energy.

I can't stand the coupon stuff anymore. There should be a law so that you cannot bring in coupons after your prescription has been processed. Most normal people, present the coupons before they even hand in the prescription. That is the right way to do it, so I know to bill the coupon before starting anything. One guy has been using coupons for the last 5 months and today he was pissed that the coupons aren't going through anymore. BTW, customer still had decent insurance.

Didn't drug monkey rant about the cherry/lemon antacids before?

That list is pretty true - thank god there are some patients that actually treat us really well and appreciate when you help them.

I think by qualified and trained she means that she has been in the business for long enough to know what she's talking about.

She says she's not even 20 yet, so she can't have *that* much experience.

Swears like a sailor too. I don't mind a little language hear and there, but good night, you'd think she'd be able to tone it down a notch.

I'd much rather read, "things I learn from my patients."

She says she's not even 20 yet, so she can't have *that* much experience.

Yes, but I think she was trying to across the point that customers can sometimes treat you like you know nothing. Like you are just some high school kid that is there to ring people up. They tell you they need to speak to a pharmacist when all they want to ask is "how much does this cost?" or "can I get a refill?". Which, a pharmacy technician is more than capable of doing. Do you get what I mean? Heck, even working in a pharmacy for 3 months means you're trained and capable. When I was 20 I already had 4 years experience, so I guess I can empathize with her. Maybe it was even me who wrote it :D. Just kidding.

Swears like a sailor too. I don't mind a little language hear and there, but good night, you'd think she'd be able to tone it down a notch.

I know, I think she must have written that after a really rough day at work. :laugh:

Working in a Pharmacy as a technician I agree with her on many of her points...

I especially agree with #7 though...Insurance companies are horrible!! THE ENEMY!! I can't stand talking to a computerized voice which redirects me to where I started 10 times!...and waiting 30 minutes to talk to an actual person :(

Looking back however, its my job, and Pharmacy is my future so I will just suck it up and take care of business b/c it has to be done

ohhhh i feel her pain, thats why I think I would not like to do retail pharmacy unless I'm desperate for the money to pay off loans. I honestly believe I have an increase anxiety and blood pressure rate ever since I've been a technician.

The poster writes in a way that is reminiscent of the way Denis Leary talks.

Funny vent...funnier with the cuss words!:D

I don't think one could accurately convey all the trash that one has to deal with on a bad day in the pharmacy, around oh say the first of the month, with out all the vulgar words. I mean one day I asked a patent to see their id for an rx and they said they knew the pharmacsits and that they didn't need to show any id. At that point i persisted to see their id then they 74 yr old female patient pick up a clip board and threw it at my head.

im not saying that the post wasn't vulgar, but i am saying that it was appropriate and highly accurate for one of those really bad days that you wish you could use the laser beam in the bar code scanners to burn ppl's eyes out and laugh at them. lol...............im just saying

:rolleyes:

I prefer to just pick up the phone and just say "Pharmacy". It worked fine for months until one day it was the district manager calling on the customer line, I picked up, and then I got a lecture about using the "CVS Pharmacy, This is ___, how can I help you."

Ugh, what a waste of energy.

Besides, didn't the computer already tell them they called their CVS Pharmacy?

If you are a person with a nice and "I serve all" personality, sorry but pharmacy is not the career for you. You gotta learn where to draw the line and just not put up with dumb ****.

I've been told before by a pharmacist that I was being too nice with patients since I was on the phone for like 5 minutes listening to them ranting about prices instead of just hanging up once I said the prescriptions would be ready in 1 hour.

LOL. I don't think I was ever like that but I think in the beginning I'd get nervous when patients used a harsh tone or they got frustrated when we wouldnt have the scripts ready but now I don't give a **** cuz I've learned the tricks of trade :)

At least the pharmacists get paid well for the crap. I can't imagine how people work as techs for years on end putting up with that.

I'm a Clerk, not even a tech, at Rite Aid. I tell them the reason why their Rx was denied by insurance and they're like "that's impossible you ****ed up!" then the tech tells them the same exact thing and they are like, oh ok i'll call my insurance company. As a clerk, we get the 3rd degree to the MAX. And i love her post about being a ****ing parent, i agree with her 10000% and i tell this to my friends too, i cant imagine my family pumping me or any of my cousins for being a little hyper. NO these people resort to Adderrall immediately.

What I also hate is how physicians are prescribing antibiotics for the smallest freaking things. Someone just has a minor cough, headache, and runny nose, what do they do? They don't drink orange juice and rest for a day. No, they run to their doctor, get a script for antibiotics and just allow the bacteria to get resistant. WTF!!

Besides, didn't the computer already tell them they called their CVS Pharmacy?

yea, besides, i dunno about u, but i know what number i am trying to dial before hand anyways, in addition, it also prompts u to dial 1 for the front, 3 for pharmacy, or something like that...argh, i totally understand her...i was a tech once too...me and her can swap stories cuz i experienced every single one of her situations...and the funny thing was that it was only our pharmacy that attracted the rich old money customers (because of the area)...needless to say, once i found out my acceptance to pharm. school, i left that God-for-saken place. it also just occurred to me that i could've transferred to another chain store closer to my house (where the customers are less apt to be rude), but oh well, wasn't that important to me after all, hehehe:laugh:

That was so funny. I just have to print that so I can share it. I don't agree with all of it, but the gest of it is true and funny.