R2 talks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nombrenada

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my program; the 2nd year residents are asked to give a 45-60min talk during our noon conferences. Topic is of our choosing and we are asked to select a mentor from the area of medicine we are discussing to help prepare/proofread the talk, etc.

I'd like to give a talk in the area of pulmonary medicine (past talks have included ventilator management, COPD, etc)

Anyone have a good idea for a pulmonary based talk that would be good to give to my fellow residents (relevant; not to detailed; etc)?

Members don't see this ad.

At my program; the 2nd year residents are asked to give a 45-60min talk during our noon conferences. Topic is of our choosing and we are asked to select a mentor from the area of medicine we are discussing to help prepare/proofread the talk, etc.

I'd like to give a talk in the area of pulmonary medicine (past talks have included ventilator management, COPD, etc)

Anyone have a good idea for a pulmonary based talk that would be good to give to my fellow residents (relevant; not to detailed; etc)?

I have almost no interest in these topics so take this with a grain of salt. That being said, the alphabet soup of interstitial lung dz (is it IPF or UIP...wait, those are the same thing...but what was BOOP, I mean COP, again, etc) is a topic that seems to come up a bit on boards.

Hi...

Just keep it simple and clinical. How about a talk about pleural effusions - etiologies/ differentiation/ actions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi...

Just keep it simple and clinical. How about a talk about pleural effusions - etiologies/ differentiation/ actions.

This wouldn't be bad one to talk about - fairly straight forward concept that people can wrap their minds around, you can show some gnarly CXRs, talk about thoracentesis (which everyone loves to do) and the fluid studies (which I always have to look up - not what to order but their interpretation), and then you could always throw in some of the weird and wild stuff causing it - you KNOW IM love the Zebras . . . "And here on the film you can see the large pleural effusion, after tap and studies it was seen that this effusion was caused by improperly implanted alien baby . . ."

How about hypoxia in end stage liver disease - hepatohydrothorax, hepatopulmonary syndrome and portopulmonary hypertension - what are they, how to diagnose, how they present, implications for transplant, etc

Our program does R2 talks as well. I don't know if it's mandated, as I haven't looked at the requirements yet, but it seems like everyone includes a clinical vignette to make it more interesting. Have you seen any pulm patients with interesting issues? That could guide your talk a little.