2 antiinflammatories + plavix + ASA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PMR 4 MSK

Large Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
95 yo female I saw for the first time today for Spinal stenosis, hip and knee OA. No joint space on knee or hip xray, no visible canal at L4-5 on MRI. Minimal ambulator. Mild dementia.

Current meds - Plavix, ASA, Naproxen 550 mg TID, Ibuprofen 400 mg QID. No Histamine blocker or PPI.

BP 122/76. Wt 121, Ht 5'6"

What's going to kill her first - the GI bleed or renal failure?

Members don't see this ad.

95 yo female I saw for the first time today for Spinal stenosis, hip and knee OA. No joint space on knee or hip xray, no visible canal at L4-5 on MRI. Minimal ambulator. Mild dementia.

Current meds - Plavix, ASA, Naproxen 550 mg TID, Ibuprofen 400 mg QID. No Histamine blocker or PPI.

BP 122/76. Wt 121, Ht 5'6"

What's going to kill her first - the GI bleed or renal failure?

What's the point of two short acting NSAIDs in the first place?

Please tell me that the patient was self-treating with the naproxen, asp, and ibuprofen, and a doctor was not prescribing/aware of all these being taken together on the same day.

Members don't see this ad :)
funny how some of these patients are on these meds for years and nothing happens....im guessing these are not new treatments.

T

Please tell me that the patient was self-treating with the naproxen, asp, and ibuprofen, and a doctor was not prescribing/aware of all these being taken together on the same day.

PCP prescribed plavix, ASA and naproxen, daughter added in the ibuprofen. I don't know if the PCP is aware or not.

What's the point of two short acting NSAIDs in the first place?

I don't think most people know the difference or similarities between the NSAID's, nor the reasons not to take more than 1. Many people just know their are different pain meds and when 1 doesn't do enough, add in another. Plus they don't read the warnings.

PCP prescribed plavix, ASA and naproxen, daughter added in the ibuprofen. I don't know if the PCP is aware or not.

Thanks, I assumed it was something like that, but you never know.