TUCOM - NV Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So a warning to anyone with an MCAT score lower than 23 - TUCOM-Nevada won't even look at it. Somehow though, when I applied and they finally got my scores it slipped through the cracks and I was sent an invite for the secondary. Unfortunately for me this meant that I filled out the entire application and sent in my payment just to get a phone call tonight from the Director of Admissions telling me that they made a mistake. Luckily they haven't deposited the check yet but it sucks going through all that work to not even be considered. Its unfortunate because the rest of my app is impeccable - very high GPA and lots of experience. Roger Corbman was nice enough about it when he called but it still sucks.

Anyways, I know its a low score so I wasn't expecting much love from them anyways, but just thought I'd warn those of you who haven't sent your stuff in yet - look elsewhere if your scores are a bit lower than average.

Members don't see this ad.

So a warning to anyone with an MCAT score lower than 23 - TUCOM-Nevada won't even look at it. Somehow though, when I applied and they finally got my scores it slipped through the cracks and I was sent an invite for the secondary. Unfortunately for me this meant that I filled out the entire application and sent in my payment just to get a phone call tonight from the Director of Admissions telling me that they made a mistake. Luckily they haven't deposited the check yet but it sucks going through all that work to not even be considered. Its unfortunate because the rest of my app is impeccable - very high GPA and lots of experience. Roger Corbman was nice enough about it when he called but it still sucks.

Anyways, I know its a low score so I wasn't expecting much love from them anyways, but just thought I'd warn those of you who haven't sent your stuff in yet - look elsewhere if your scores are a bit lower than average.

Yes, the three Touros screen for at least a 23 and a 3.0.

talk about a stress-free interview.... it was great no pressure and its nice to hear your interviewer say that organic chem isn't the make or break of med school.......good luck to all that interviewed with me hopefully all 11 of us get the acceptance

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how much of a deposit is required and within how long of the acceptance? I thought I read 2 weeks..yikes! Is it $1,000?

Does anyone know how much of a deposit is required and within how long of the acceptance? I thought I read 2 weeks..yikes! Is it $1,000?

$2,000 within two weeks. But Roger will work with you if you need a little more time. They refund $1900 of that deposit if you decide to go somewhere else.

$2,000 within two weeks. But Roger will work with you if you need a little more time. They refund $1900 of that deposit if you decide to go somewhere else.

Oh wow, I had no idea about the $1900 refund. That's great to hear, just in case. But I am thinking I will like TOURO :) Thanks a lot for you help!

Yes, the three Touros screen for at least a 23 and a 3.0.

I knew they screened but I thought I barely made the cut because I got secondaries from all 3. Wonder if the other 2 were mistakes too... better check on that before sending money.

I knew they screened but I thought I barely made the cut because I got secondaries from all 3. Wonder if the other 2 were mistakes too... better check on that before sending money.

That's interesting... it would seem rather strange that all three would make the mistake. But their website says specifically that they screen for 3.0 and 23. Maybe they don't really enforce it?

Oh wow, I had no idea about the $1900 refund. That's great to hear, just in case. But I am thinking I will like TOURO :) Thanks a lot for you help!

The refund is due to NV law. The other Touro deposits are non-refundable I believe.

About the OP about the cutoff: I'm glad that you can get your secondary fee back, but it's a shame they didn't catch it sooner. I''m guessing the screening is pre-secondary, right? Otherwise, that's kinda lame.

Yes, the screening is pre-secondary.

I interviewed on 9/22 found out 9/26 that I was accepted good luck to everyone else that interviewed with me

I interviewed 9/23 and found out 9/25.

Anyone interviewing on Nov. 2? If you are, I'll be there!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone, oms 1 here from tun. seems like the average stats for this years class is rising. most of my peers were around 28 and 3.2ish. i was waitlisted and got in, so if you're waitlisted, don't give up hope! =)

good luck everybody, btw the school is underconstruction and we're getting a facelift.

started a Touro-NV Class of 2013 thread check it out for those recently accepted

hey everyone, oms 1 here from tun. seems like the average stats for this years class is rising. most of my peers were around 28 and 3.2ish. i was waitlisted and got in, so if you're waitlisted, don't give up hope! =)

good luck everybody, btw the school is underconstruction and we're getting a facelift.

If you don't mind my asking, do you know why you were waitlisted?

I got invited for an interview 11/10.
I spoke with someone in admissions and she told me that they had interviewed ~100 people so far and have accepted ~30 of the class of ~125 as of 10/15.

I spoke with someone in admissions and she told me that they had interviewed ~100 people so far and have accepted ~30 of the class of ~125 as of 10/15.

That shouldn't worry you. Its still very early in the season and I'm sure about half of those people already accepted might choose somewhere else.

I just received my interview invite! Vegas in December will be a nice change from the rain in Oregon!

I just received my second interview invite from Touro-NV (1st was Touro-NY, where the hell is my CA one? lol j/k).

I am excited... but the dates they gave me are for January =/.

I think I'll book the earliest one and stay January 6th at the Palazzo/Venetian resort and enjoy myself while I am in Vegas =P.

That doesn't sound right. They accept 60% post-interview, and waitlist 30%.

QUESTION!??! - i would really like to rent a car for this interview but i am 20 :( does anyone know a company that will allow me to do that (even if i have to pay a little extra...)

thanks and good luck everyone

p.s.. my interview is tuesday so let me know!!

I'm interviewing next Monday 11/17. Anybody else? I'm really excited about this school and am hoping for an acceptance!! Good luck to everybody! =)

Question: To those ppl that have already interviewed, did they ask any hardball questions?? Grill you about bad grades (I have a C -->or 2)??

That doesn't sound right. They accept 60% post-interview, and waitlist 30%.
I was there on Monday for my interview and the updated # of accepted is "~43-44" so far. I guess they have sent out more acceptances but only "~43-44" have confirmed it.
I liked the school a lot. They have a nice building (on the inside), and all the faculty and staff were wonderful. My interview went pretty good. They asked the usualls like "Why a doc?", "Why a D.O.", and "...Are you sure?" They also asked specifically about my grades. I did poorly in Human Anatomy back in 2002 and then retook it and got an A in 2008. I was interviewed by two of the faculty at the same time lasting 30 mins. They took turns making me squirm. They had both my AACOMAS app. and TUNCOM secondary sitting right in front of them with different parts highlighted.
The students we talked with liked it there and seemed like they honestly could not say anything bad about Touro. They just stressed the importance of picking the right school for yourself and your learning style. BTW Touro only has a lecture pathway.
The Kosher lunch was tasty.

I'm interviewing next Monday 11/17. Anybody else? I'm really excited about this school and am hoping for an acceptance!! Good luck to everybody! =)

Question: To those ppl that have already interviewed, did they ask any hardball questions?? Grill you about bad grades (I have a C -->or 2)??

Congrats on your interview!

I didn't have anything really difficult and yes, I have a handful of C's on my transcript. They didn't specifically ask me about grades/MCAT but did ask what were my favorite and least favorite classes.

Be prepared to talk about a topic of healthcare - my interviewers asked me a general question (talk about any healthcare topic) but a friend of mine was specifically asked about socialized medicine.

Good luck!!

bludiem, when you say 43-44 have confirmed does that mean they have comitted to TUCOM?

bludiem, when you say 43-44 have confirmed does that mean they have comitted to TUCOM?

Nobody is truly "committed" because you can withdraw anytime now and get all but $100 of your deposit back.

I'm pretty sure it means that they have turned in thier acceptance offer and put their $2K down. I don't know what the stats are for how many retract after they get offers from other schools but i've heard it's quite a few.
007 is right that you only loose 100 bucks to skip out on your commitment. Easy come, easy go, eh? I bet Roger loves it.

QUESTION!??! - i would really like to rent a car for this interview but i am 20 :( does anyone know a company that will allow me to do that (even if i have to pay a little extra...)

thanks and good luck everyone

p.s.. my interview is tuesday so let me know!!

20?

Why don't you just bring your skateboard?

So, they just received my secondary as complete, and at the same time sent an interview request... is that how they do it with everyone? Do they just send auto-interviews without reviewing the secondaries?

Stats: 32R, 3.1 BCPM, 3.35 Overall, UCSD

I'll be there Monday also. Coming from So Cal via Burbank airport on Sunday. I think I'm going to like the school—Lot's of hospital affiliations, good match list from its first class and it's new. Also, We'll be there when the weather is between extremes. So it will probably leave a different impression than visiting when it's 115° F.

I'll be there Monday also. Coming from So Cal via Burbank airport on Sunday. I think I'm going to like the school—Lot's of hospital affiliations, good match list from its first class and it's new. Also, We'll be there when the weather is between extremes. So it will probably leave a different impression than visiting when it's 115° F.

I'll be flying out from San Diego! Which hotel are you staying at?

Jet Luxury at Palms Place. I'll PM you.

I am interviewing here dec 9... i have already been accepted to a couple places and have to put a deposit down by dec 14. how long does this school take to let you know if you're in? you think i will know before the 14th so i dont have to put down a hefty deposit somewhere else? i would hate to lose 2 grand if i ended up choosing T-NV.
Also... anyone know the board scores pass rate for this school?

So, they just received my secondary as complete, and at the same time sent an interview request... is that how they do it with everyone? Do they just send auto-interviews without reviewing the secondaries?

Stats: 32R, 3.1 BCPM, 3.35 Overall, UCSD

I don't know if this is how they do it with everyone. The same thing happened to me though.

I am interviewing here dec 9... i have already been accepted to a couple places and have to put a deposit down by dec 14. how long does this school take to let you know if you're in? you think i will know before the 14th so i dont have to put down a hefty deposit somewhere else? i would hate to lose 2 grand if i ended up choosing T-NV.
Also... anyone know the board scores pass rate for this school?

I guess it's varied between people. Mine took 2 weeks. It would suck for anyone to lose 2k but it would be too much of a risk for me to wait and see. Good luck to everyone with upcoming interviews!

I know it's been discussed previously, but I wanted to post the partial 2008 match list PDF so I can link to it. :)

Attachments

• Touro-NV Match List 2008.pdf
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,385
Just got an e-mail back from Sasha regarding my status. They say they haven't received my letters but all the professors/D.O. sent it in a while ago. Does it take a while to process the letters?

She also said I will be invited for an interview once I'm complete. Does a completed secondary automatically guarantee an interview?

Anyone going to be there for Tuesday the 9th?

I'll be leaving early and partying in vegas, catching up monday, and then interviewing Tuesday!!!!

I'll be leaving early and partying in vegas, catching up monday, and then interviewing Tuesday!!!!

Almost... I'll be there Monday!

Just got an e-mail back from Sasha regarding my status. They say they haven't received my letters but all the professors/D.O. sent it in a while ago. Does it take a while to process the letters?

She also said I will be invited for an interview once I'm complete. Does a completed secondary automatically guarantee an interview?

The same thing happened to me, it took them a while to receive my letters for some reason.

Also, I doubt that a completed secondary automatically gets you an interview, although it almost seems like it with how quickly they invite applicants after they are complete.

I'll be there on Tuesday. See you there! :D

Congrats to accepted.

Last edited:
Do any of the current MSI-MSIV students have any skeletons that they'd like to reveal? Or should I just call Roger? I haven't yet since he's attending something more important at the moment and I'm not sure when he'll be back in.

So far, I've gotten lots of positives (despite the construction on the facade) from my visit to the school during the interview. (I'm also accepted, yay!)

I mean, I found like a mass grave with AZCOM which shook me up a bit, so I'm wondering if there are any surprises here.

I noticed that the campus is also undergoing rapid expansion in terms of programs and stuff. Is it sustainable?

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!:laugh:

THIS IS A MIRACLE!!! I'm sooo happy!! congrats to everyone else who made it!

Good Luck everyone!! :love:

The interview is totally laid back! I had mine November 25th, got accepted December 5th. But I think the stats above are a little off: they have been interviewing between 500 and 600 applicants a year, and accept about 135, thats a 30% acceptance, but I hear that they generally accept quite a few from the wait list each year. I live in vegas, so it was an easy choice for me. I loved the school, the facilities are new, and the student to cadaver ratio is low. Hope to see some of you guys in the fall! :)
Good Luck to all of you applying/interviewing.

Waiting to get my interview date! Can't wait......I wonder whats taking so long to process the letters of rec?...

Congrats to those accepted. I hope to join the club soon.