DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
got my sticker today too :)

Members don't see this ad.

anyone interview the first week in nov. and hear yet? i thought we were supposed to hear by monday... :-/

anyone interview the first week in nov. and hear yet? i thought we were supposed to hear by monday... :-/

i think they have been behind recently (i'm thinking of posters from recent interview dates who were expecting to hear back)....so dont worry that you havent heard back at exactly 2 weeks! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I created a social group for the c/o 2013...congrats everyone

So I just got the email today stating that my application is complete. Anyone have any idea what the wait time is like to find out about interviews, and/or the number of interviews they're still giving out?

So I just got the email today stating that my application is complete. Anyone have any idea what the wait time is like to find out about interviews, and/or the number of interviews they're still giving out?

It took me over a month to hear..but its taken less time for others. good luck :thumbup:

I received my interview email about a week after my file was complete, but I think for the most part it is around a month. Try and be patient, I know it is hard.

I interviewed on the 7th and haven't heard. I called this morning and she said they still didn't have the decisions in but were hoping to get them by the end of the day so we could have them before Thanksgiving. She said to check e-mail.

What is the interview:acceptance ratio at DMU, anyone knows?

Hey, here are DMU's match lists for the last few years, for anyone who's interested. :)

Attachments

• DMU Match List 2005.pdf
    118.6 KB · Views: 597
  • DMU Match List 2006.pdf
    117.9 KB · Views: 488
  • DMU Match List 2007.pdf
    112.5 KB · Views: 559
  • DMU Match List 2008.pdf
    114.1 KB · Views: 1,241
Last edited:
hey all- I found the fasTrack e-mail in my inbox this morning (happy thanksgiving to me!) but when i tried to schedule an interview i was unable to login with the username/password they gave me. i kept getting a message saying that i'm not a registered user. i can't seem to find any link to a registration page and i don't know if i'm just missing it or what. has anyone else had problems with it? i know i can call on monday but i'm so antsy to schedule an interview i just want to do it as soon as possible...

Members don't see this ad :)
hey all- I found the fasTrack e-mail in my inbox this morning (happy thanksgiving to me!) but when i tried to schedule an interview i was unable to login with the username/password they gave me. i kept getting a message saying that i'm not a registered user. i can't seem to find any link to a registration page and i don't know if i'm just missing it or what. has anyone else had problems with it? i know i can call on monday but i'm so antsy to schedule an interview i just want to do it as soon as possible...

I think they have not set up your user account properly. You may just have to wait. I had this happening o me w/ another school...

If you interviewed in early November (6th or 7th), check your email because they have sent out acceptance emails as of 11:10 am CST this morning! After a long wait (three and a half weeks), it is official! Waiting is by far the hardest part.

What were your stats if I may ask?

What were your stats if I may ask?

I have been accepted and plan to attend DMU in the fall. I will cancel interviews to KCOM and KCUMB.

I have been accepted and plan to attend DMU in the fall. I will cancel interviews to KCOM and KCUMB.

I think he meant like gpa and mcat and all that good stuff :laugh:

I think he meant like gpa and mcat and all that good stuff :laugh:

Sorry, at first glance I thought it read status...

28R MCAT (10,7,11)
3.98 Science gpa
3.45 Nonscience gpa
Nontraditional student with degree in Business Management, Finance emphasis & Accounting minor
100+ hours of shadowing and clinic rotations
400+ hours of research at DMU in the microbiology lab
Worked for 3+ years as a fundraiser and event coordinator (golf tournaments, etc...)
Very strong personal story regarding interest in medicine and DMU.
Good letters of recommendation (Director of Residency at local hospital with strong ties to DMU)

Hope this helps and maybe gives hope to others that you do not have to be perfect. Just stress your desire for DMU and devotion/passion for medicine in your interviews. I suppose that is how I was able to get accepted. I offered interview feedback also for those who have interviews scheduled. Good luck to everyone. I hope you are as lucky as I am to be in this position.

I just got a letter from the Doc who interviewed me at DMU congratulating me on my acceptance and asking me to consider DMU strongly.
Anyone else get letters like this?
DMU just keeps getting more and more points from me...

I got one of those as well. The letter itself was pretty generic but the guy also wrote a couple of sentences at the bottom. I strongly agree that it is hard to not be impressed by DMU.

I'll be sending in my acceptance agreement and paying my deposit this week :) but of course, I just got an interview invite from TCOM....which is the school I have been holding out for....so we will see, but so far DMU is my #1 :love:

I know during the interview, they mentioned they hand out quarter, half, and full tuition scholarships. Does anyone know when those are handed out?

I know during the interview, they mentioned they hand out quarter, half, and full tuition scholarships. Does anyone know when those are handed out?

I called the school a little over a week ago asking about those and they told me that the committee on scholarships would be meeting in "a few weeks." So, :xf:. Maybe some good news before Christmas???

Yikes. How badly is it snowing in Des Moines right now? Brrrrrr :eek:

It's not snowing at all right now. It's actually a very clear, sunny day. But it is pretty cold - 34 degrees. So, brrrrrrrr is right!!

I have an interview coming up in January at DMU. I was wondering if anyone knew if the class would be filled by then and therefore a lesser chance of receiving an acceptance. DMU is my top choice, so I am hoping to go there in the fall.

well after obsessing for the last 3 weeks I got put on the Alternate list. :( :( According to this thread there wasn't a lot of movement last year...so I guess it's a no go on DMU. I can't say that I'm not upset by this.I thought my interview went well.

I wouldn't give up hope yet. Did they tell you the number you have on the alternate list?

I just got accepted today via email. I interviewed on the 13th of nov...I think I'll only attend if I get a good scholarship because I also got into MSUCOM which is my home state.
Does anyone know if they hand out scholarships even if you did not pay the hefty deposit?:xf:

I wouldn't give up hope yet. Did they tell you the number you have on the alternate list?

No they didn't

they wrote :

While we are currently unable to offer you a seat in the class, we may make additional offers of admission at the close of the application year. Your position within the Alternate List guarantees that you will be considered if space becomes available.

From that I gather I wouldn't hear from them until may or so?

I have an interview coming up in January at DMU. I was wondering if anyone knew if the class would be filled by then and therefore a lesser chance of receiving an acceptance. DMU is my top choice, so I am hoping to go there in the fall.

I would be very surprised if it was filled already

I just got accepted today via email. I interviewed on the 13th of nov...I think I'll only attend if I get a good scholarship because I also got into MSUCOM which is my home state.
Does anyone know if they hand out scholarships even if you did not pay the hefty deposit?:xf:

The only problem with this is that if you don't pay the deposit by the deadline they give you, you are then dropped from the class and your acceptance is no longer valid. Thus you must "pay to play".;)

well after obsessing for the last 3 weeks I got put on the Alternate list. :( :( According to this thread there wasn't a lot of movement last year...so I guess it's a no go on DMU. I can't say that I'm not upset by this.I thought my interview went well.

Hang in there! I know of students currently enrolled who were on the alternate list and were offered admission. I don't know the specifics but their acceptances came in February, March, and one in July. The current offers only keep seats held until 12/15 unless a deposit is paid, so I bet some movement is on the horizon. Hope you hear good news!

yeah i wish DMU would get back to us sooner about the scholarships
sometime before dec 15th would've been great...but thats looking highly unlikely
i thought they said they wouuld contact us about scholarships in early spring time?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think they told me when I interviewed that you are only eligible for the scholarships if you have a 30 or better on the MCAT and a GPA higher than 3.5(?). Does anyone remember hearing something like this?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think they told me when I interviewed that you are only eligible for the scholarships if you have a 30 or better on the MCAT and a GPA higher than 3.5(?). Does anyone remember hearing something like this?

I think this is for automatic consideration

Hey, I think they finished their final interviews for reg. admission in March '08 for matriculation '09. If your interview is in Jan. I would think ( and hope, my reg. adm. interview is in Dec.!!!!!) that about half of their seats have been given out already. That still means somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 positions left!
Good luck!! Hope to see everyone next year!!!!

They have it right about AUTOMATIC consideration with those stats; however, there are TONS of other scholarship programs available to DMU students so make sure to ask about them at your interview!!

No they didn't

they wrote :

From that I gather I wouldn't hear from them until may or so?

I am def. not an expert, but have a friend who was alt. last year and it was around that time that he found out for sure. I think they compile an alternate list somewhat like a non-rolling admissions school would do for reg. admission; knowing the exact number would not be avail. until about March or April when they finish interviews.

No worries though!!!! There are always other schools or next year too!! That is what I keep in mind while I wait for my interview!!

GOOD LUCK to all!!!!

I think this is for automatic consideration

I called to clarify this exact question a while ago: is the 30/3.6 cut off for automatic consideration, or is it the cutoff for eligibility.

I was told straight up that if you dont have those stats, you wont be considered. Now whether that is true or not is one thing, but thats what I was told.

I called to clarify this exact question a while ago: is the 30/3.6 cut off for automatic consideration, or is it the cutoff for eligibility.

I was told straight up that if you dont have those stats, you wont be considered. Now whether that is true or not is one thing, but thats what I was told.

that sucks :thumbdown: I am way above the GPA but not the MCAT, I wish it was not all about the numbers for scholarships...

Just got an email today stating my file is complete and under review. now the waiting begins.

I just got Accepted!!! wooohoooo!!!!

:soexcited::soexcited::claps::claps::soexcited::soexcited:

Congrats! Hope I'll be one of your classmates. My interview is on 1/26...sighz

It'll come really fast, I feel like my invite wasn't even that long ago. Good luck to you!