UMDNJ Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
dozitgetchahi Congrats!! I also got the acceptance call today!! After my next couple interviews I will decide if I definitely want to stay in NJ.

Did anyone else get waitlisted. If so what measures are you going to take to make sure you get in?

Likewise, has anyone received an invitation for an acceptance yet after they have been waitlisted. I see on the official acceptance thread someone got in on 11/15, which is not one of the third fridays of the month.

For everyone who got an invite, did you receieve an completion notice before being invited?

Nope...they hadn't even cashed my check yet. And UMDNJ was one of the later secondaries I turned in. I think I mailed it the middle/end of October. I got an interview invite this past week...on the 21st I think.

Yeah they were really fast about giving me an invite...if I remember correctly it took somewhere between one to two weeks, probably closer to the one end.

I just got placed on the "Alternate List" (bummer). I will have to call back in a few days to get specific details.

Anybody know if they will continually accept people from their waitlist as others withdraw or if they address the waitlist at the end of the application season?

Does anyone know which address are we supposed to send the letters of recommendation? Is the address the same as the one listed on the secondary application?

Last edited:
I believe it's the same address

Does anyone know which address are we supposed to send the letters of recommendation? Is the address the same as the one listed on the secondary application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Modernchemistry did you call and they told you that? I called and they said I was on the waitlist. Are those the same thing? Also, they take people from the waitlist as people decide to attend other schools they were accepted into etc.

Modernchemistry did you call and they told you that? I called and they said I was on the waitlist. Are those the same thing? Also, they take people from the waitlist as people decide to attend other schools they were accepted into etc.
Yeah, that's what I was told over the phone.

Though, from what I understand, the "alternate list" and the "waitlist" are probably the same thing. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I didn't see these posted in here, so here are UMDNJ's match lists from the last two years, for anyone who's interested. :)

Attachments

• UMDNJ Match List 2006.pdf
    105.2 KB · Views: 776
  • UMDNJ Match List 2007.pdf
    23 KB · Views: 765
  • UMDNJ Match List 2008.pdf
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,865
Last edited:
How long is the wait to get an invite for an interview after the secondary is sent in? I sent mine in couple weeks ago, because they "forgot" to tell me to go ahead and fill it out. After I got accepted to WVSOM I emailed them about it...after all I got accepted into one school, but didn't even fill out a secondary for another school at that point. Ughh...its very irritating

Ok, I am still trying to complete the secondary. I admit, I am lazy:laugh:

These essays seem to really want the facts, especially this one:

1) Explain the process by which you decided that osteopathic medicine was right for you?

==

Well, I am wondering if it is ok to talk about my shadowing experiences and how patients were treated by D.O.s and non-D.O.s without being specific about the patients. I understand I have to protect their privacy. But would it be ok to say the doctor advised the patient to watch his weight/diet or some thing like that?
Thanks!

Hey Deepa,

As long as you dont give the patient's name or other identifying info you will be fine. Good luck with your UMDNJ app.

- umdnj 2011

have you called to ask where your application stands in the review process? That can show your interest in the school.

have you called to ask where your application stands in the review process? That can show your interest in the school.
It's complete and under review. That's what the lady told me.

They must have that line posted in big letters on the wall because that is what they told me. Evidently I've been under review since August...

They must have that line posted in big letters on the wall because that is what they told me. Evidently I've been under review since August...

Same here, except for the August part. I've heard absolutely nothing from any of the East Coast schools (PCOM, UMDNJ, NYCOM) -- could it be possible they prefer/have a slight bias toward people from that region, or am I just being overly paranoid?

Ok, I am still trying to complete the secondary. I admit, I am lazy:laugh:

These essays seem to really want the facts, especially this one:

1) Explain the process by which you decided that osteopathic medicine was right for you?

==

Well, I am wondering if it is ok to talk about my shadowing experiences and how patients were treated by D.O.s and non-D.O.s without being specific about the patients. I understand I have to protect their privacy. But would it be ok to say the doctor advised the patient to watch his weight/diet or some thing like that?
Thanks!

About 1/3 of my personal statement was about a patient, and i never heard anything negative about it. So I don't think it matters.

Same here, except for the August part. I've heard absolutely nothing from any of the East Coast schools (PCOM, UMDNJ, NYCOM) -- could it be possible they prefer/have a slight bias toward people from that region, or am I just being overly paranoid?

I'd say yes but my friend applied, interviewed,and accepted in about a 9 week span. He is from Florida (and frequents these boards). Really, its fine if they don't want to interview me. At this point, I'd rather hear SOMETHING rather than nothing. Ideally it'd be an interview but I'd take some contact to show the school actually exists.

I'd say yes but my friend applied, interviewed,and accepted in about a 9 week span. He is from Florida (and frequents these boards). Really, its fine if they don't want to interview me. At this point, I'd rather hear SOMETHING rather than nothing. Ideally it'd be an interview but I'd take some contact to show the school actually exists.
They're the only other school I'd fly out for (if they call for an interview).

But I don't care anymore. Florida sounds sweet.

Could be, but I have heard from multiple people that PCOM is processing applications slowly. That said, there is still a bit of time left in the application season. Try your best to relax.

I think the reason behind UMDNJ's slowness in delivering invites lately is probably the fact that their applicant pool this year is both much larger and much more competitive than it's been in the past. For instance, I was told by my interviewer that their applicants this cycle were averaging total MCAT scores of greater than 30 :eek:. Other people posting here have commented that there have been a record number of total applicants to UMDNJ this year.

I suspect what's really going on is some sort of "silent" pre-interview hold. They may have accepted a whole bunch of highly qualified applicants in the last month or so, and they're waiting for the initial December 15th deposit deadline to see how many of those applicants actually enroll. After they get those returns back then they'll probably send out more invites....

I'm thinking it is the second part too. I'm a weird applicant since I have mediocre numbers at best, but awesome ECs and a lot of them. My personal statement is also quite strong. I just have a hardtime believing the reason I haven't heard anything is because they are filled with tons of applicants and going slow this year. There are plenty of people that applied a month after me that heard before me. When I called to confirm that I was complete, the lady said she was still working on the white coat ceremony and didn't even look at her desk yet! (That was before my Summer semester even ended)

If you have not heard for a long time, your first course of action is to call to ensure that they received everything. They will not call you if a piece of your application is missing. This is your responsibility.

If they received everything, then there is no reason why you should not ask what the status of your application is.

Since Thanksgiving, there has not been much interview action and this is typical at this time of year as we are in the middle of finals and those that do most of the interviews are our professors who have to finalize, administer, and grade the exams.

So, if you have not heard anything for a while, call and ensure that your application is complete. Then find out about your status.

Good Luck

Hi EMT2ER-DOC, I was wondering, do you know what the "new curriculum" is going to be for the class of 2013? I have heard that they are changing the curriculum..can you elaborate on that

The new curriculum is going to be integrated and systems based. There is going to be 25% less class time which means that you will have to do 25% more work on your own. There will be more small group sessions.

No longer will anatomy be on the 2nd semester. It will be held the entire year. I believe all of the other classes will be the same way. I am not sure.

If you have any questions about that, call Paula and ask her.

The new curriculum is going to be integrated and systems based. There is going to be 25% less class time which means that you will have to do 25% more work on your own. There will be more small group sessions.

No longer will anatomy be on the 2nd semester. It will be held the entire year. I believe all of the other classes will be the same way. I am not sure.

The Anatomy news is great. I was kinda unsure about sharing the Anatomy teacher with one of the other campuses.

Great news!

thanks a lot!

The Anatomy news is great. I was kinda unsure about sharing the Anatomy teacher with one of the other campuses.

Great news!

We have not shared an anatomy teacher since the mid 80's. Not to worry. We have our own faculty. And you will see that we are the little brother of the other campuses. We do nothing and we do not get that much attention. Which the way the news has been for the northern schools is nice.

We are a close knit community and our students do not have the same pet peeves the others do.

We have not shared an anatomy teacher since the mid 80's. Not to worry. We have our own faculty. And you will see that we are the little brother of the other campuses. We do nothing and we do not get that much attention. Which the way the news has been for the northern schools is nice.

We are a close knit community and our students do not have the same pet peeves the others do.

I was told that Anatomy was 2nd semester because the professor was on another campus during the Fall. Was that not the case? It's not a big deal, I'd just rather have anatomy in the Fall. So in either case switching to a full year of Anatomy is great.

I was told that Anatomy was 2nd semester because the professor was on another campus during the Fall. Was that not the case? It's not a big deal, I'd just rather have anatomy in the Fall. So in either case switching to a full year of Anatomy is great.

This was a little bit of history as to why we have anatomy second semester. Just a little FYI. Our own faculty teach anatomy now.

If you have not heard for a long time, your first course of action is to call to ensure that they received everything. They will not call you if a piece of your application is missing. This is your responsibility.

If they received everything, then there is no reason why you should not ask what the status of your application is.

Since Thanksgiving, there has not been much interview action and this is typical at this time of year as we are in the middle of finals and those that do most of the interviews are our professors who have to finalize, administer, and grade the exams.

So, if you have not heard anything for a while, call and ensure that your application is complete. Then find out about your status.

Good Luck

Oh I did. I've been complete since before white coat ceremony there. My status was "under review". The status updates don't really give much indicator.

Oh I did. I've been complete since before white coat ceremony there. My status was "under review". The status updates don't really give much indicator.
It's like a girl keeping you on the side until all her other options are exhausted.

So I recently had my interview and tour. I will say that the interview was only 20 minutes long. Is this what everybody else had? I love the school and I am also amazed at how fast admissions stated that the committee makes a decision. They said that the committee meets next Friday and phone calls will be going out between that day the following Tuesday.

Good luck to everyone who has interviewed and to those who are still looking to get one at UMDNJ-SOM. Hope we get great Christmas news for those who are up for a decision in the next week.

So I recently had my interview and tour. I will say that the interview was only 20 minutes long. Is this what everybody else had? I love the school and I am also amazed at how fast admissions stated that the committee makes a decision. They said that the committee meets next Friday and phone calls will be going out between that day the following Tuesday.

Good luck to everyone who has interviewed and to those who are still looking to get one at UMDNJ-SOM. Hope we get great Christmas news for those who are up for a decision in the next week.
my interview was about the same length. I dont even think it went particularly well (i screwed up the why DO question) but i got in. Your numbers are pretty good and they seem to like that so you should be okay.

my interview was about the same length. I dont even think it went particularly well (i screwed up the why DO question) but i got in. Your numbers are pretty good and they seem to like that so you should be okay.

Well, I sure do appreciate your words. I still don't want to jinx what is about to come though. I will not accept anything until I hear or see something official.

Yeah, my interview was similar...in and out in 20 or so minutes, and I felt like I had bungled a couple of questions too. If your numbers are solid, your chances should be pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.