KCUMB Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have an interview on Dec 2nd and haven't heard from a host yet.

Me neither (Im interviewing the 4th), though the plane I booked doesn't get in until 10 pm the night before, so I'm starting to think that might be too late to stay with a host. I have family in KC, so I can always stay with them. I will probably call early next week if I dont hear anything and just confirm one more time and figure out the host situation. I'm excited! Good luck with your interview!

Members don't see this ad.

If it helps, I didn't hear from my host until two days before my interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview is super relaxed.
You should however, avoid asking about MD/MPH program during the Q&A with the vice-prez of the school...
you 10/16 interviewees know what i'm talking about..yeahhhh...

The interview is super relaxed.
You should however, avoid asking about MD/MPH program during the Q&A with the vice-prez of the school...
you 10/16 interviewees know what i'm talking about..yeahhhh...

haha! good advice

I was just curious if anyone could comment on the political climate and religious affiliations of the students at KCUMB. I'm interviewing next week and really excited about the school. I like the sound of the spirituality element of the curriculum. I am spiritual and think incorporating a patients faith into their care is extremely important. I haven't been able to find out much about how spirituality studies are incorporated into the curriculum and whether a variety of religions are taught objectively. I'm also just generally wondering about the political leanings of the student body. Does the school attract a larger percentage of politically (and/or religiously) conservative students than other medical schools because of the spirituality element? Or is there no correlation at all? Having grown up and gone to undergrad in large east and west coast cities, I have always lived in heavily liberal environments, and am quite liberal myself. This does not mean I am opposed to being in a place with more conservative students or more of a mix. It would just be a different experience, and I am interested to hear other's perceptions of the KCUMB environment. Thanks and good luck to all others interviewing soon!!

when you guys filled out your supplemental did you type into the pdf or did you just hand-write and send it in?

if pdf, how in the world can you type into the adobe pdf files?? im having a hard time figuring it out ;)

I like the sound of the spirituality element of the curriculum. I am spiritual and think incorporating a patients faith into their care is extremely important. I haven't been able to find out much about how spirituality studies are incorporated into the curriculum and whether a variety of religions are taught objectively.

I didn't get a feel for anyone's religious affiliation or political status...honestly because that was not too high on my priority list when I visited. However, I can give you some insight that my tour guide (a second year student) gave me. She is doing the joint DO/Masters in Ethics program, and she says a big part of what she is learning has to do with caring for the patients spiritual needs. She says it is very helpful for her because people come from such different creeds and backgrounds that it gives her a good perspective on how to better cater to her future patient's needs.

hope that helps...im really not sure how much of this stuff is actually in the regular KCUMB curriculum though.

when you guys filled out your supplemental did you type into the pdf or did you just hand-write and send it in?

if pdf, how in the world can you type into the adobe pdf files?? im having a hard time figuring it out ;)

I typed into the form...but you have to have adobe acrobat professional to do that so you might have to write into the fields if it wont let you type into them.

I didn't get a feel for anyone's religious affiliation or political status...

second that. I don't think you would know a person's affiliation without asking them their. Seemed like everyone was too busy being med-students! Seriously though, KC has a really large incoming class (some thing like 270) so I imagine the students fall all throughout the political and religious spectrum.

Yay, just got interview invite today for 01/26. For those who has interviewed already, can you please tell me what is the name of the closest airport? And where did you stay?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay, just got interview invite today for 01/26. For those who has interviewed already, can you please tell me what is the name of the closest airport? And where did you stay?

I would stay at one of the hotels they recommend. This way you can hitch a shuttle to and from the school for no charge!

The Q-Hotel (the former quarterage hotel) is good.
Call them ahead of time to get their free shuttle to pick you up from the airport. Their free shuttle will take you/pick you up nearly anywhere (including to the school) so its nice.

Closest airport is MCI which is Kansas City Airport.

It is COLD (well.. for me at least.. I'm from Calif.) and there is walking around.. so wear comfy shoes.

Thank you all for your info. I'm quite nervous already even though the date is set a month from now. Anyways, can someone help answer this question for me (I never had any formal interview before). When the interviewers say "tell us something about you," what do they really want to hear? My strength and weakness? Or my uniqueness? Or my work and academic experience? Thanks.

when did you complete your application?

I did not send in my secondary application. They just sent me the invitation. But if you mean my AACOMAS application, I finished it on 10/3
when did you complete your application?

Amy,

You should stay at one of the recommend hotels because KCUMB will provide a transportation service. I stayed at the Holiday Inn, and it was decent for the price. However, both hotels they offer are outside of city, so you may want to find a hotel within the city if you are interested in exploring the area.

Also, on a side note, i was wondering why KCUMB isn't as popular as other schools? When I mean popular, I mean having people post on this thread. KCUMB's 2008 match list is pretty impressive, so I thought more people would be interested in the school.

I did not send in my secondary application. They just sent me the invitation. But if you mean my AACOMAS application, I finished it on 10/3

Amy,
Notwithstanding your invitation for an interview, you need to submit your secondary.

I'll send it in on Friday. Thanks for reminding me. One more question, do they accept personal check for application fee?

Please give me some inputs. Thank you.
Thank you all for your info. I'm quite nervous already even though the date is set a month from now. Anyways, can someone help answer this question for me (I never had any formal interview before). When the interviewers say "tell us something about you," what do they really want to hear? My strength and weakness? Or my uniqueness? Or my work and academic experience? Thanks.

Yea, they take checks.

And I have answered the "tell me about yourself question" by briefly talking about where I'm from, what school i went to, the research i did a school, my work, and my hobbies. I keep it short, like a min or two, and then when I'm done, the interviewer usually picks a few things to talk about. Its not a big deal.

I didn't see these posted in here, so here are KCUMB's past two match lists, for anyone who's interested. Enjoy! :)

Attachments

• KCUMB Match List 2007.pdf
    48.6 KB · Views: 962
  • KCUMB Match List 2008.pdf
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,555
I talked about where I was from, my background, what I majored in and did at school. They have your file so they will ask you questions about what is in there.

Please give me some inputs. Thank you.

Hello,

I found this link of affiliated sites:

http://www.kcumb.edu/occe/affiliated_sites.asp

Would those sites be the core sites that we choose from for 3rd year?

I remember being told that there was a site in Texas but I don't see it.
Does anyone know where it is in Texas?
(I might have been mistaken, and they were referring to how you could do rotations in Texas for 4th year.)

Thanks for the help!

Hello,

I found this link of affiliated sites:

http://www.kcumb.edu/occe/affiliated_sites.asp

Would those sites be the core sites that we choose from for 3rd year?

Yes, that's the general list. I believe it is subject to change, however.

I remember being told that there was a site in Texas but I don't see it.
Does anyone know where it is in Texas?
(I might have been mistaken, and they were referring to how you could do rotations in Texas for 4th year.)

Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately, The Texas site is no longer available for core rotations. I believe it was in Mesquite.

Thanks Spicedmanna!
Are you a current student? If so, what do you like and dislike about KCUMB?

I'm gathering information to make a decision on where to mail in my seat deposit. The deadline is coming up and I have narrowed it down to 2 schools.

I sent you a PM.

Spicedmanna, can you also please send me a PM on your likes and dislikes of KCUMB. I am in the same position of deciding where to send in my deposit coming up the middle of this month. Thanks for your help.

Spicedmanna, can you also please send me a PM on your likes and dislikes of KCUMB. I am in the same position of deciding where to send in my deposit coming up the middle of this month. Thanks for your help.

me too if possible =)

sigh...I wasnt going to ask

but could you copy it to me?

:D

I can't find the total estimated cost of attendance at KCUMB on the school's website. What is the current annual med school tuition & fees and what are they expected to be for 2009-2010? What are the anticipated living expenses in Kansas City?

Thanks

I can't find the total estimated cost of attendance at KCUMB on the school's website. What is the current annual med school tuition & fees and what are they expected to be for 2009-2010? What are the anticipated living expenses in Kansas City?

Thanks

I think its around $37-38g's for tuition
rent is in the $800 ballpark for a decent place

correct me if im wrong though..Ive misplaced the fact sheet they handed out.

I think its around $37-38g's for tuition
rent is in the $800 ballpark for a decent place

correct me if im wrong though..Ive misplaced the fact sheet they handed out.

Tuition quote is right.
it'd be about 800-1000/mo for an apt close to downtown, ive found cheaper for different areas. CT (not great, but awesome for convenience) is around 550-600/mo for one bedroom and 750/mo for two bedroom.. so that's pretty cheap, especially if you're sharing.

gonna withdraw my acceptance from KCUMB b/c i got accepted at a place with the two most beautiful words in the english language (in-state tuition!). GL everyone going to KCUMB and maybe meet you guys somewhere on down the (medical) trail!:thumbup:

gonna withdraw my acceptance from KCUMB b/c i got accepted at a place with the two most beautiful words in the english language (in-state tuition!). GL everyone going to KCUMB and maybe meet you guys somewhere on down the (medical) trail!:thumbup:

good work and good luck sir!

I am also withdrawing. Loved KC, loved the school, but I wanted to stay closer to Michigan.
good luck to all you 2013 KCUMBers!

I am one of the unfortunate few to be placed on a pre-interview hold at KCUMB. I have done searches and didnt find info on past applicants that were offered interviews after a pre-interview hold. Has any applicant from this cycle been resurrected from a hold?

I'm also on a pre-interview hold or 'qualified status'. So you are not alone:)

I am also joining you all on the 'qualified status' list

To those of you that are on the "qualified status" list....I believe that I was told when I was applying last year that if you have anything that you have improved upon (more ECs, better MCAT score, etc) then you should tell the school. They said that they will re-evaluate your file when they receive new information.

Has anyone else heard this?

I haven't heard that but it definitely seems possible. A better mcat would definitely be a boost to your application.

Amy,

You should stay at one of the recommend hotels because KCUMB will provide a transportation service. I stayed at the Holiday Inn, and it was decent for the price. However, both hotels they offer are outside of city, so you may want to find a hotel within the city if you are interested in exploring the area.

Also, on a side note, i was wondering why KCUMB isn't as popular as other schools? When I mean popular, I mean having people post on this thread. KCUMB's 2008 match list is pretty impressive, so I thought more people would be interested in the school.

Because if you start talking the school up and saying how much you like it and are excited to go, people will come in and start tearing the school down so it just isn't worth it to post.

Because if you start talking the school up and saying how much you like it and are excited to go, people will come in and start tearing the school down so it just isn't worth it to post.

Yeah, I used to post a lot, but I'm pretty busy these days and there isn't much worth saying that I haven't already said about the subject. If I think of any new insights I'll be sure to share them. Right now, the boards are beginning to loom on the horizon and that's where my thoughts have been slowly turning toward.

Hey guys I was put in the qualified status last year at this time. I retook my mcat in January and went up 5 points. The school received my mcat score beginning of March, and I had an interview middle of April. I am now a first year here. It is still possible. Don't give up!

I am hoping that after the dec. 15 deposit deadline some spots will open up and they will give out more interview invites.