ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks, thoredius. If you are for sure attending KCOM, I suppose we will be classmates next fall.

Members don't see this ad.

I recently interviewed at KCOM. I really liked the area. I was impressed with the organization of the school. I've already typed a lot about it on my blog. You can read it here. KCOM offers a lot of stuff not available at other schools.

That was a good post. Thanks obbobbo. I interviewed early at KCOM(like the first day of interviews). I am glad I interviewed because, I was very pleasantly surprised with the school. This school will definitely offer a top-notch education with a chance at high board scores, which I consider to be the most significant characteristic of a med school. To me KCOM is like the best-kept secret ever.

Initially, I just wanted to get into medical school. But now that I have been accepted, I have the hard decision of making the choice between schools. I have been accepted to an MD school, and couple of D.O. Schools. I feel so lucky for the acceptances, especially since this was my third time applying.

Currently, I am waiting to hear back from TCOM. I am probably going to send my deposit to KCOM in the mean time. I will be happy with either school. I think KCOM’s concerns and care for student w/ spouses is awesome. Hopefully, there are some single people attending though. lol.. since I am single.

Wish everyone the best, especially those waiting to hear back or interviewing at KCOM in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Jug! Your posts show your enthusiasm; I may be seeing you next fall as well (still making final decisions).

I just submitted my secondary yesterday, and they received my letters today, so it appears as though my app is now complete. Anyone know what the current wait is like to hear about interviews, or even how many they're giving out at this point?

I just submitted my secondary yesterday, and they received my letters today, so it appears as though my app is now complete. Anyone know what the current wait is like to hear about interviews, or even how many they're giving out at this point?

It took about a week for me to get my interview after I was complete. Good luck!

It took about a week for me to get my interview after I was complete. Good luck!

Just got the interview invite for Jan 16th (the second available, after 1/15)! This was quite a surprise, since my app was complete yesterday. I like the turnaround! :D

I just called today and found out I was put on the alternate list :( KCOM was my first choice, so this definitely stings. Anyone know where I can find information about wait list movement in the past? Also-- is it wise or too pushy to send a letter of intent at this point?

Thanks.

Just got the interview invite for Jan 16th (the second available, after 1/15)! This was quite a surprise, since my app was complete yesterday. I like the turnaround! :D

Congratulations, I really liked KCOM. Still waiting to find out about CCOM, but I would be very happy at KCOM. It's a solid school.

I just called today and found out I was put on the alternate list :( KCOM was my first choice, so this definitely stings. Anyone know where I can find information about wait list movement in the past? Also-- is it wise or too pushy to send a letter of intent at this point?

Thanks.

The waitlist will move, what may be more important is how far down it you are. I would attempt to find this out as it could give you a better idea of your chances. In my opinion its not too pushy to send an LOI. I'd send one in your position too. It can't hurt. Best of luck !

I didn't see these posted in here, so here are ATSU-KCOM's past two match lists. Enjoy! :)

Attachments

• ATSU-KCOM Match List 2007.pdf
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,144
  • ATSU-KCOM Match List 2008.pdf
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,315
Chocolate Bear, just wanted to thank you for all you do on these posts!!! I have noticed you in a lot of them...

On a side note, currently accepted to AT. Still KCOM and AZCOM, any ideas to sway my brain one way or the other?

Members don't see this ad :)
Chocolate Bear, just wanted to thank you for all you do on these posts!!! I have noticed you in a lot of them...

On a side note, currently accepted to AT. Still KCOM and AZCOM, any ideas to sway my brain one way or the other?

No problem! :)

Congrats! I'd say that ATSU has had forever to work out the kinks. Top notch.

AZCOM is newer, but seems to be doing a fine job. Also, they are a branch of Midwestern, which has had nearly the same amount of time to work out the kinks (CCOM is almost as old as ATSU). Rotation site quality is probably a little less dependable at AZCOM.

Other than that, I know the environments are very different, i.e. suburbia vs. the sticks. You'll have to be there for at least 2 years, so make sure your happiness with the world around you will be at an acceptable level. Good luck!

i'm turning down my interview for various reasons..good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!:thumbup:

Rugger, I am looking for an earlier interview date, can you tell me when yours was scheduled? Thanks!

Rugger, I am looking for an earlier interview date, can you tell me when yours was scheduled? Thanks!

sorry this prob won't help you. mine was 11/17 but I was going to reschedule due to medical reasons! good luck on ur interview!

hi everyone,

i just got an interview invite for KCOM and was wondering what airport i should book a flight for. im coming from south florida, so the flights are not cheap and was wondering which airport offered the lowest rates (even if i have to rent a car). Also, any ideas/suggestions regarding lodging? thanks!!!

hi everyone,

i just got an interview invite for KCOM and was wondering what airport i should book a flight for. im coming from south florida, so the flights are not cheap and was wondering which airport offered the lowest rates (even if i have to rent a car). Also, any ideas/suggestions regarding lodging? thanks!!!

i don't know about prices, but maybe the shorter drive would be from KC rather than STL? they should send an emial about staying one nite with a student if there are any available. That way you could get insider info. good luck!

i don't know about prices, but maybe the shorter drive would be from KC rather than STL? they should send an emial about staying one nite with a student if there are any available. That way you could get insider info. good luck!

thanks for the advice! i hope the car drive is not too long :( my class schedule for next semester is a little crazy, so im trying to figure out the best day to book my flight...im amazed at how expensive these tickets are :eek: oh well, my wallet is going to have to suck it up :)

Hey guys! I just got an interview offer today. I was wondering how much time is given to decide if you want to go to the school after acceptance?

Because I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools whether I will get an interview or not so I dont know how soon I should make the interview.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Just thought I would let any waiting students know that I canceled my interview for tomorrow because of acceptance to DMU. So that means if you are waiting there is one more sport open now so maintain hope! Waiting is by far the hardest part of the application process. Good luck!

Hey guys! I just got an interview offer today. I was wondering how much time is given to decide if you want to go to the school after acceptance?

Because I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools whether I will get an interview or not so I dont know how soon I should make the interview.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi there! I guess we got our invites at the same time :) Have you decided what day your are going to take?...Im still trying to decide because my class schedule for next semester is not helping :(

Hi Guys,
Did anybody recieve information on or know about the housing options? Or the availability or rent of KCOM owned apartments?

Hi Guys,
Did anybody recieve information on or know about the housing options? Or the availability or rent of KCOM owned apartments?

Just be patient. The first round of accepted peoples deposits aren't even due for another week and a half. Last year, KCOM sent out all the housing and IT stuff sometime after that first deposit was paid. So if I'm remembering correctly I didn't get mine until sometime in January. It will come. You may be able to access the KCOM housing Database right now, I"m not sure if it requires a password or not. But it gives you a list of apartements that people rent just to KCOM students. You will also recieve some info about KCOM owned student apartements. So all the information you desire will come. I remember how hard it was to wait for everything, but it does get there. Enjoy your time before you are in school. This time next year you will be studying. So enjoy undergrad or your job, whatever it may be. Good luck, If you have questions that I can answer for you, don't be afraid to PM me.

finally got the last LOR in... I'm praying for a miracle (an interview!!!) :xf:

So at the interviews did you guys recieve information about clinical rotation sites? I'm researching the school right now and that part of the website is being "updated," and I was just wondering about the specific hospitals/cities the rotations are at. I am specifically wondering about CO and UT. Any help would be appreciated!

Call the Clinical Educational Affairs department, and they would be able to give you the info you need. Also, you could ask for the rotation booklet during your interview, and they would most likely get it to you right then and there (during the times where you sit in centennial hall by the original ASO cabin). The admissions staff is there to answer any questions you have, and are really good at doing so.

hi! this question may have been posted already (sorry).. but I've got to ask, how long does it usually take before you hear an inivitation for interview? I called admissions and they told me my file is up for screening yesterday. Also, do they inivite you by email? Your input will greatly reduce my anxiety. :) thanks a lot!! :)

pangs05,

I received an interview invite by email a week after my application was screened.

I sent in my deposit last week. Has anyone else who sent in their deposit heard anything back from KCOM. I thought I would receive a confirmation email or something else.

hi! this question may have been posted already (sorry).. but I've got to ask, how long does it usually take before you hear an inivitation for interview? I called admissions and they told me my file is up for screening yesterday. Also, do they inivite you by email? Your input will greatly reduce my anxiety. :) thanks a lot!! :)
Me too...My secondary app was complete on 12/5 and I received an invite this morning! The next available date for interview is 1/26, which I scheduled. Good luck!

I sent in my deposit last week. Has anyone else who sent in their deposit heard anything back from KCOM. I thought I would receive a confirmation email or something else.

I sent in my deposit on december 2nd and heard back via email from donna sparks on 8th. Just email donna sparks, if you dont hear back by friday, she is super-friendly. Did you get the mail certified or have return receipt? I did, so I also knew through tracking that atleast it got there.

Hey Casey what year are you?

Hey CP,

I thought I had written back but I couldn't find it. I'm a second year, but I'm one of the ambassadors with the school. Feel free to direct any questions at me! I'm always happy to help!

Casey

hey relativity,

could you please pm me donna sparks email? i can't seem to find it anywhere. thanks alot.

Me too...My secondary app was complete on 12/5 and I received an invite this morning! The next available date for interview is 1/26, which I scheduled. Good luck!

thanks a lot! i hope i'll get an invite too. :)

Just a note- will be withdrawing my acceptance this week. LOVED KCOM, but our family is diverse, and the nearest diversity was too far away for our comfort.

If that didn't have to factor into the decision, things would have been different.

Good luck to everyone :luck:

Question for those who have attained an acceptance: did you use the evaluation forms they provide or just send letters of recommendation?

Thanks!

Question for those who have attained an acceptance: did you use the evaluation forms they provide or just send letters of recommendation?

Thanks!

I just sent my LORs electronically using Interfolio. I did not use their forms, I'm pretty sure you don't have to.

Thanks!

I used the forms

Hello all! I have an interview at KCOM this Friday, Dec. 19th! Anyone else? I've been reading through the posts, but wondered if anyone had more suggestions for the interview? Also, I have a tendency to be shy in interviews. For those who have interviewed and been accepted and may have that personality, did the interviewers help at all in bringing out your personalities? (that is very specific, but in general if you have advice, I would appreciate it!)

Re letters of recommendation forms: thanks for the replies.

Look at the interview this way: you have the stats to be accepted and succeed at KCOM, so the interview is to see if you will fit with the school.

With that in mind, try your best to do away with the shyness. You know that you have the stats to get in, so put your best foot forward. My interviews didn't really deal with my stats for more than 5 minutes each, and the rest of the time was spent trying to get to know me by the interviewers.

This isn't to say that shy people don't get in, but it would be in your best interest to try and get over it (at least for the interview). Remember, an interview means that you have the stats to get in, so they want to get to know you.

Good luck!

Hey
Has anyone that has been accepted or interviewed at Kirksville this year have similar stats as me? I am just trying to figure out if i should completely lose hope. Here are my stats:
MCAT: V:8, PS:6, BS:8 =22 O
Science cum: 3.6
overall cum: 3.63
I have great clinical experience and ECs as well as great LORs

Anyone else get a little excited when they got an email from ATSU today, maybe expecting an interview, only to find out it was a Christmas card. I did. :( Cool card though!

Thanks for the advice, ddoms!

I saw a lot of posts about ethical questions in the interviews...any examples?

Thanks!

If anyone is trying to switch January interview dates please PM me. I am trying to reschedule my interview so I can visit DMU and KCOM in the same trip. Thanks, and good luck to all!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.