LECOM - Erie Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is uncool. Seems like everyone's getting responses from LECOM about their interview (and congrats to those who got accepted :thumbup:), but I had my interview on Oct. 30th and still haven't received a letter with the admission committee's decision!! :mad: Do you think my letter got lost or something? I'm having a difficult time reaching the admissions office. :annoyed:

Members don't see this ad.

Interview Jan 8th! I will throw a temper tantrum if there is a storm. I'm going from Denver to Buffalo. NB - I can throw a hell of a temper tantrum.

I am so happy to say that I received the letter today explaining that I have been accepted into the class of 2013! I have now begun my weeklong celebration since I had a ton of exams last week and nothing to do this week. Woooo! Hopefully this is one of many acceptances proving that I am not just an ordinary idiot and one of many intelligent future physicians. Good luck to all on SDN and I only pray for the best for all of you. Thanks to all for the help and advice. Now let the partying begin. WE ARE....PENN STATE!!!! soon to be LECOM!
Don't forget that there are idiot physicians too....

Members don't see this ad :)
This is uncool. Seems like everyone's getting responses from LECOM about their interview (and congrats to those who got accepted :thumbup:), but I had my interview on Oct. 30th and still haven't received a letter with the admission committee's decision!! :mad: Do you think my letter got lost or something? I'm having a difficult time reaching the admissions office. :annoyed:

Not necessarly. You interviewed on a thursday but they don't review applications until wednesday, plus they said that it might take a few days sometimes for the provost to officially sign it. Add to the fact that in CA you live further away than other people (NY here for example) so it could take a while.

Not necessarly. You interviewed on a thursday but they don't review applications until wednesday, plus they said that it might take a few days sometimes for the provost to officially sign it. Add to the fact that in CA you live further away than other people (NY here for example) so it could take a while.

True. I've already considered that though. I interviewed on the same day as someone from Oregon, and he got his letter already, like on Nov 10th. Oh well... Guess I'll just have to tough it out. :oops:

Last edited:
Actually they do a good job of cleaning up the snow... So if it's be at least a day since the last storm coming through then you should be fine..

However we had a snow storm last night and a thunder storm with it... how is that for nuts

Really? Have you lived in Erie before this winter? I think they suck. This past time wasn't too bad but last year they never plowed certain roads that I took to get to school, they were ALWAYS covered in snow and ice (and they weren't rinky dinky back country roads). And a lot of times they don't come in advance spraying down salt like I was used to in VIRGINIA and Maryland. I expect them to be much more diligent since the snow is so overwhelming here and ALL THE TIME...and of course you never get snow days and are expected to drive through it :(

However I must say that LECOM does an excellent job in their parking lot. This past Sunday I was studying for my Renal exam Monday morning all night and they were plowing at like 2 am

So one of my friends just informed me that LECOM-erie has a PBL track which I am really interested in. Do you think it is too late to apply? I didn't have AACOMAS send them my application... What do you think?

So one of my friends just informed me that LECOM-erie has a PBL track which I am really interested in. Do you think it is too late to apply? I didn't have AACOMAS send them my application... What do you think?

Definitely apply, I am currently in the PBL program and it is great. It is a ton of work but it is the best way to learn. Get your app in quick, and you will more than likely get an interview. LECOM interviews until spring so you still have time. Good Luck.

Really? Have you lived in Erie before this winter? I think they suck. This past time wasn't too bad but last year they never plowed certain roads that I took to get to school, they were ALWAYS covered in snow and ice (and they weren't rinky dinky back country roads). And a lot of times they don't come in advance spraying down salt like I was used to in VIRGINIA and Maryland. I expect them to be much more diligent since the snow is so overwhelming here and ALL THE TIME...and of course you never get snow days and are expected to drive through it :(

However I must say that LECOM does an excellent job in their parking lot. This past Sunday I was studying for my Renal exam Monday morning all night and they were plowing at like 2 am
Nope, Never lived in Erie before but it is better than some of the places I've been to. This was my first snowstorm here so I could just be seeing their initial efforts with the rest of the season pretty crappy. But I guess I'll find out sooner or later if they continue to do a good job.

Nope, Never lived in Erie before but it is better than some of the places I've been to. This was my first snowstorm here so I could just be seeing their initial efforts with the rest of the season pretty crappy. But I guess I'll find out sooner or later if they continue to do a good job.

This is a fairly early start for such an amount of snow..I hope it's not indicative of winter 2002 here..3 feet of snow the day before thanksgiving ::cringe:: really tho last yr wasn't bad at all don't worry too much. Have any of the recently accepted already turned in their deposits?

my admissions status still says "Your application is under review". It's been nearly a month -- i've been complete since 10/20. It seems like alot of people on here heard back a lot sooner than this. Any insight? :confused:

I don't know if mine ever said under review, right now it says that the admissions committee has not yet made a decision on your file...hmmm!

Im in the same boat. I was complete on 10/21 and it still says Im under review.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a fairly early start for such an amount of snow..I hope it's not indicative of winter 2002 here..3 feet of snow the day before thanksgiving ::cringe:: really tho last yr wasn't bad at all don't worry too much. Have any of the recently accepted already turned in their deposits?

Yeah, I got my acceptance last Saturday and sent my deposit in on Sunday. I put down PCSP as my first choiceand ISP my second choice, but got accepted in to LDP. I emailed admissions and was told by Amy that ISP spots are limited and they don't make PCSP decisions until after anatomy. If I don't get accepted into it, I may still be able to get into ISP, but I am guessing that would be tough.........do you know how many people that applied into PCSP got in and what happened to the others that did not?

Yeah, I got my acceptance last Saturday and sent my deposit in on Sunday. I put down PCSP as my first choiceand ISP my second choice, but got accepted in to LDP. I emailed admissions and was told by Amy that ISP spots are limited and they don't make PCSP decisions until after anatomy. If I don't get accepted into it, I may still be able to get into ISP, but I am guessing that would be tough.........do you know how many people that applied into PCSP got in and what happened to the others that did not?
No one gets picked for PCSP until after anatomy is finished... There are about 10 spots for PCSP as of right now.

There are a total of 30 ISP spots, A few people who had picked ISP in the beginning decided to go LDP so a few switched out. I would say fewer than 8.

I like ISP but it's not for everyone.

After anatomy you have a formal meeting with all the PCSP candidates and several faculty heading the programs and they basically assess whether your confident,team oriented, and have the qualities that they seek in a PCSP candidate!

Good luck!:rolleyes:

there were 20+ to begin with then there were about 9 by the time the final decision was made, If I remember correctly. Next year there will be 10 slots, and it will probably be more competitive than it was this year. It is about the mix of team player, dedication to PC, and ability to get through anatomy in one piece. It's worth it though.

I interviewed at LECOM recently. I thought it was really nice. The school was different from other schools I've visited. The one interesting thing was the dress code... Business attire at all times. This wasn't too bad though, it did give a very professional feel. I wrote a lot more about my experience at LECOM on my blog if you want to know more.

Have I ever mentioned how I like seeing the anxiety on interviewees faces when I pass them in the hall. It is great.

Saw a bunch in there yesterday, one girl was cute.

But guy's know this... the Pharm school has more good looking female students than the med school

I'm interviewing on Monday, so is there anything I should know or keep in mind while interviewing? I've been reading the book "The DOs: Osteopathic Medicine in America" and I'm almost done with it. I think I have a pretty good grasp on osteopathic medicine and the history of it. Hopefully the weather works out well because I'm flying into Pittsburgh on Sunday and driving up to Erie and then flying back on Monday night. I have mandatory attendance in a couple classes on Tuesday so hopefully there are no delays for me.

I'm interviewing on Monday, so is there anything I should know or keep in mind while interviewing? I've been reading the book "The DOs: Osteopathic Medicine in America" and I'm almost done with it. I think I have a pretty good grasp on osteopathic medicine and the history of it. Hopefully the weather works out well because I'm flying into Pittsburgh on Sunday and driving up to Erie and then flying back on Monday night. I have mandatory attendance in a couple classes on Tuesday so hopefully there are no delays for me.

Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time for possible delays that may occur due to the crappy weather in Erie and along the route from Pittsburgh. It has been snowing for a few days now.

Can anyone tell me if any part of the interview day (incl. tour) requires walking outdoors and possibly on snow or slippery sidewalks, or is it mostly indoors? Thank you.

Can anyone tell me if any part of the interview day (incl. tour) requires walking outdoors and possibly on snow or slippery sidewalks, or is it mostly indoors? Thank you.

Except for walking into the building its all indoors. The whole thing takes place in the main building. Even with snow on the ground I managed to get around in my suit and only be as awkward as every other applicant.

So I'm getting to Erie in the afternoon tomorrow and I want to drive around and get a feel for the town. Is there anywhere in particular I should go? Also, I'd like to try some local cuisine so could any of the students give some suggestions on a good place to eat? Thanks

So I'm getting to Erie in the afternoon tomorrow and I want to drive around and get a feel for the town. Is there anywhere in particular I should go? Also, I'd like to try some local cuisine so could any of the students give some suggestions on a good place to eat? Thanks
If you are coming up 79 (going north) get off the kersage exit (183 I think) going east. Make a right and the mall will be on your left. There is a good steak house on the first exit into the mall (not talking about Outback) just can't remember the name of it. There are three restraunts in that section of the mall Max and Erma's, Outback and one other.

If you keep on interchage road you'll hit peach st. Drive up and down it because that's the main shopping drag in two.

If you get down town drive all state that's where all the night life is.

If you take peach st to 12th make a right you'll hit state st.

Enjoy.

I am so happy to say that I received the letter today explaining that I have been accepted into the class of 2013! I have now begun my weeklong celebration since I had a ton of exams last week and nothing to do this week. Woooo! Hopefully this is one of many acceptances proving that I am not just an ordinary idiot and one of many intelligent future physicians. Good luck to all on SDN and I only pray for the best for all of you. Thanks to all for the help and advice. Now let the partying begin. WE ARE....PENN STATE!!!! soon to be LECOM!

I go to State too... what classes are you taking?

Definitely apply, I am currently in the PBL program and it is great. It is a ton of work but it is the best way to learn. Get your app in quick, and you will more than likely get an interview. LECOM interviews until spring so you still have time. Good Luck.

Thank you very much. I just paid to have aacomas send them an application. Hopefully it doesn't take the full three-six weeks to have them send it like it did last time! Keep your fingers crossed that I am not too late!

Ok...so I sent in my supplemental and it was received. It would appear that all of my information is complete...except...they seem to feel that I am somehow deficient 2 credit in Physics. My application has been noted to be in that abyss we all are familiar with of the "under review" status.

Allright...I don't want to be the nagging student they hate that calls the office...so I've emailed my situation (the physics disappearing act) and unfortunately have received no form of a reply...and yes, I've waited.

So...I have 2 questions.

1. Do I call and politely ask about the situation...or is it just better to wait for them to respond to my email inquiry?

2. Is my application, in this 'under review' status...likely to be selected for an interview...or am I screwed until I fix the supposed physics credit deficiency? I mean, it's possible that a college senior could theoretically be deficient in a course that they were currently enrolled in, only to supplement with winter term grades. This situation is likely very normal...so I'm wondering if I'm actually being considered for an interview with my current stats.

Taking all answers, advice, and criticisms on this one...

Good Luck to you all in this journey...

OlyWA

Don't worry at all about the physics credit deficiency. If you actually have the credits but they think you're missing them, call the admissions office and they should be able to help you. If you're planning on taking the physics credits before matriculating then don't worry. What they did for me was offer me a "conditional acceptance" contingent upon me finishing 3 credits of english and 3 credits of behavior science (Both of which are listed as deficient for me on their application). You won't get held up because of it.

I had my interview yesterday. I loved the facilities. We didn't get to see the anatomy lab, but that wasn't a big deal. The library was small, but it is okay because I probably wouldn't study there anyways. Also, how cool is it that you can rent DVD's from there. Dr. Moore was awesome. I've been to interviews at two allopathic schools and I thought Dr. Moore's presentation was wayyyyyy better. Plus, he was able to relax us by making jokes and laughing and just being jolly. If I get in, I definately will be attending this school. I put PBL first and LDP second, but I have a feeling that I will be LDP because my interviewers and I talked about the pathways and we came to the conclusion LDP was probably better for me. I switched them around because of the mock PBL session. It was a lot of fun and I felt I could really learn a ton.

I'm excited for my interview in two weeks!!! :D

Can anyone else confirm this? I had my interview almost two weeks ago and have not heard anything except that a decision has been made and I would hear back first within 10 days, but now 30.

But about 3 days after my interview an address form area was added under folder items. Is this address form something that is uniformly added to everyone's portal page or is it a subtle confirmation of acceptance? I would like to share some good news with family over break, so any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Wait till you get an official letter from LECOM... no need on telling them you got in when you get a letter saying try again next year.

If you do get in it'll still be good news to tell over xmas.

I have a question related to housing.
When I visited, I remember seeing some housing like right across the street from the medical school. Does anyone here live there?
Do you know when you need to get in touch with them?

I have already decided on attending LECOM next year, so when is the right time to arrange housing?

Hi. I'm trying to figure out how LECOM's 3rd/4th year rotations work. I've seen posts that they have an affiliated teaching hospital, but the list on their website seems to imply that they have many sites elsewhere where students rotate. Can anyone give information on this? Do most people rotate in Erie for at least 3rd year?

Hi. I'm trying to figure out how LECOM's 3rd/4th year rotations work. I've seen posts that they have an affiliated teaching hospital, but the list on their website seems to imply that they have many sites elsewhere where students rotate. Can anyone give information on this? Do most people rotate in Erie for at least 3rd year?

Based on what they told us at the interview, you can rotate at any one of those sites listed on their website/on the list they give you. Some locations change each year, but most are standard. I believe a group of students organizes who gets what rotation, based on a system that works almost like a match. Millcreek Health Systems will always be on the list, and that is in Erie, PA-- so if you wanted to stay in Erie, I believe you can. I am not exactly sure how 4th yr rotations work, but I think you set them up on your own. Maybe someone can confirm or deny this for me?

So, there is discussion in the c/o 2013 thread that PBL students will not be able to participate in anatomy dissections beginning next year? I don't want to start a rumor or anything, I am basically looking for clarification. Is this set in stone? I was accepted into the PBL pathway, and would rather switch into LDP than miss out on what I think is a crucial component of any medical education.

I am emailing LECOM faculty for clarification, but in the meantime, if anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

At my interview on Monday, they told us that since PBL in Seton Hill is gonna be virtual then PBL in Erie would have to be virtual too. They don't want to do different things for PBL at both campuses. So that means PBL at Erie will not be doing gross dissections or prosections. This goes into effect this upcoming year. I heard this from the guy in charge of developing the coursework for PBL.

But PBL students will have an optional dissection in the summer after the first year, right?

I am really excited about my first interview at LECOM on 12/4! Do you guys think I'll get their decision before christmas??? I really hope so the wait just might kill me. lol. It seems like most people hear back in about two weeks but I during this time in the season might it be longer? And do they send letters to school or home addressess?

Thanks

If anyone's interested, here are LECOM-E's match lists from this year and last year. Enjoy! :)

Attachments

• LECOM-E Match List 2007.pdf
    38.2 KB · Views: 686
  • LECOM-E Match List 2008.pdf
    56 KB · Views: 1,876
But PBL students will have an optional dissection in the summer after the first year, right?

Yes that is what they told me at the interview. Actually, anyone can do the cadaver prep work during the summer and I think you get paid.

I finally got my acceptance letter in the mail today after waiting a whole month for the admissions committee to respond. WooHoo!

At my interview I ranked the pathways in this order:
1. PBL - Erie
2. PBL - Seton Hill
3. LDP

LECOM said that I was accepted into LDP. They also said, however, that a) I could accept the LDP offer and be placed on a waitlist for PBL or b) go to Seton Hill for PBL.

Does anyone have a pros and cons list of attending Seton Hill? Any advice? I'm pretty sure about doing PBL instead of LDP.

IM IN IM IN IM IN! I got my acceptance on Wednesday, but I didn't get it until today because I was away! They're actually going to let me be a doctor!

I stared at it for a good hour because I wasn't sure if I wanted to know potential bad news before my PCOM interview tomorrow. But its not, and I can harness my chi!

Congrats to everyone else who got in last week, and good luck to those interviewing this week!

WOOHOOO

So my letter of acceptance does not mention a deadline date as to when I have to let them know if I want to accept the offer. Does anyone know when this deadline is? Is it December 15th like everyone else? If I need to postpone this deadline, how likely is this to happen?

So my letter of acceptance does not mention a deadline date as to when I have to let them know if I want to accept the offer. Does anyone know when this deadline is? Is it December 15th like everyone else? If I need to postpone this deadline, how likely is this to happen?
probably won't get an option to postpone the deadline. They can only hold your seat for so long.

Call the school (or email) and ask when the deadline to respond is.

I would assume it is two weeks. Playing the game of musical chairs with deposits and holding out for your number one school can get expensive

Hey Guys,

I was doing some research on the housing available by LECOM,
and I found a couple interesting places, Laurel Springs, Laurel Ridge and some other ones. I remember there being an apartment complex right across from the school, which one is that?
Is there a waiting list for it?
When can call there?
From experience, is it better to live so close to the school or is it better to live closer to the center of town?

I understand that to those with families, the criteria may be different when looking for a living arrangement, but I am generally interested in a double-room apartment.

Any advice?

Thanks. :)

Maybe this is poor form for a first post but here goes...

I had applied pretty much everywhere in Ohio at MD schools but with the economy the way it is my fiancee probably won't be able to get a job after graduation (graphic design) so all of a sudden my choices became pretty limited, as in, none really. The one exception is LECOM because my grandparents left us a house in conneaut so i'd be able to live rent free.

so pretty much i need to do whatever it takes to get in, any advice?
I have a 3.39science and cum GPA that won't move much either way since i have 150some credits, and i got a 30N on the mcat. i only have around 50 hours of volunteer work at a hosptial because i've had to work 15 hours a week while at school. i have no real shadowing yet but i just got the number of a DO doctor my mom (an MD) is freinds of a friend with so that will at least help. my primary app hasn't finnished processing yet so i still have some time. do you think my stats are good enough to get an interview? i'm hoping to be able to shadow soon and try to get a letter of rec but the hours might not be there before a secondary is due.

So I just received an interview on Feb. 5th. I was wondering if I should try calling them and getting an earlier date or if I should be fine with the day I have. My worry is that my chances of getting in will decrease if I wait until Feb for my interview. What do you guys think?