Help with Insulin products

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shroomysoup

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me with these insulin products and make sure that I got the ingredients down correctly? Also, what is the difference between Humulin 70/30 and Humulin 50/50? What is the difference between Humalog Mix 75/25 and Humalog Mix 50/50?

Humulin 70/30 - intermediate-acting (human insulin isophane) + short-acting (regular)

Humulin 50/50 - same as Humulin 70/30 except 50/50?

Novolin 70/30 - NPH 70%, Regular 30%

Humalog Mix 75/25 - intermediate-acting (lispro protamine) + rapid-acting

Humalog Mix 50/50 - same as above except 50/50?

Novolog Mix 70/30 - rapid-acting? (aspart protamine 70%, aspart 30%)

Members don't see this ad.

The 70/30, 50/50 refers to the concentration of each ingredient. Example: Humulin 70/30 is 70% isophane and 30% regular insulin. I'm sure a quick Google search would confirm the different insulin ingredients. I don't know all those yet.

The 70/30, 50/50 refers to the concentration of each ingredient. Example: Humulin 70/30 is 70% isophane and 30% regular insulin. I'm sure a quick Google search would confirm the different insulin ingredients. I don't know all those yet.

Yeah, I know that. I just want to know what the advantages are between 70/30 and 50/50. And what is the difference between aspart protamine and aspart?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone? Come on. You registered pharmacists should know this, right?:confused:

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I know that. I just want to know what the advantages are between 70/30 and 50/50. And what is the difference between aspart protamine and aspart?

The advantage to using a 70/30 vs. a 50/50 is going to be patient specific based on their glycemic control. If they need more of a longer acting insulin and less post-prandially, then 70/30 would be appropriate. If more post-meal, faster peaking, then the 50/50 would be used. 70/30 tends to be more commonly used in my opinion.

Aspart is just plain Novolog by itself. Immediately released (monomers) bolus insulin. When you have Novolog 75/25, the manufacturers have to modify the insulins somewhat so the release and pharmacology works. Hence, you don't just have plain NPH anymore...you have a modified aspart (just like NPH is a modified regular insulin) so that it's release into the blood is slowed. The whole hexamer to monomer dissociation.

Reactions: 1 user